Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlayOnline won't load, {incompatible application}

KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

So with all the talk of FFXI recently and so many new/elder players starting up on Titan, I've been very tempted to buy an new account and give the new updates a go before I'd commit to reactivating my main account.  Anyway, here is the problem I'm having:

• I can't get PlayOnline to even load up.

• Yes I'm running the Windows 7 ver. of POL

• I'm not getting any error code.

• I've uninstalled and reinstalled it.

• I've searched the Square-Enix Support Center and all they list are crashes with codes, nothing that helps with this issue.

• I've searched through multiple forums like Dreams in Vana'diel, Allahkazam, and Bluegartr, and this issue doesn't appear to exist for anyone else.

• I've turned off my Firewall

• I've tried running it in compatability mode for all versions of windows, but that shouldn't matter since I'm using the Win7 ver of POL

• I've tried running it in Admin mode as well

• I've also tried to get it to start using Windower and I continue to get the same issue.

Anyway, here is a screenshot and a little explanation of what happens when I attempt to load POL ~ The POL splash screen appears, then a few seconds later a 2nd window, which is blank appears with the POL version in the corner, it just sits there for about 10-15sec, then I get the standard, "this program has crashed window"  "looking for solution", which I've tried running through all its suggestions to no avail.

I've never in the past 8 yrs of playing FFXI had this 2nd window pop up, and I have no idea what it is or why its doing this.  If anyone has an idea as to what may be causing this or a solution, please do tell, cause I'd like to possibly play here soon!

Comments

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

This is a very curious problem that you are having (although it would appear that you have menaged to explain it meticulously well). The sad thing is that - according to your post; you have allready tried most any solution that i could have given you:(

If the game was crashing, (once its launched) that woulda be a different, and maybe even an ''easier'' predicament,

But the way your playonline client acting is mind numbing:D

All I can say is:

-try to disable ALL* other (non-necessary) programs running in the background, they may be interfering with Squares client,

-Disable any and all anti virus programs (although most of em shouldnt interfere with it like that to begin with)

-And than; INCREASE PRIORITY LEVEL of the playonline client using the good old ctrl+alt+delete function

-If that still does not work, BACKUP / Export POL registery files, and see if re-running the program restores it along with program functionality

-Running a debugging program wont solve your problems, BUT it might help you identify (give hints) as to the cause of your issues, so it might help set you on the right direction.

Unfortunately since the problem is not well know - rare even; it is very likely (as you coulda guessed) the problem lies not with the client, but with your machine, or its compability with your particular setup.

SORRY; I know that my advices are far fetched solutions, but i cant think of something else right now. (And im just a user/not a computer expert:D)

I can, however understand your frustration. Good luck with it / hope to see ya in game soon.

PS; Ill letcha know if something crosses my mind.

PSS; Oh, and maybe its a completly native error of the PlayOnline program, like a temporary unusual network error, and I wouldn't be suprised if; by the time u read my UBER long post, your problem might have been solved allready:P

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Well I'm at an extreme loss now at to what the problem is.  I just did the final straw, and reformatted my entire PC, reinstalled everything and just attempted to get PlayOnline to load and yet again the problem persists. The only thing in my PC that has changed since Aug '10 when I last played ~ I upgraded from an AMD CPU/MB to an Intel CPU/MB...

ARGH...WTF is going on!!!  My 6yr old PC next to me running an 8800GTS, Win7 Ultimate{same as main} on an AMD build runs POL just fine!

The last thing I could try is move my 8800GTS over and see if its my 275GTX going bonkers...le sigh.  It appears as though it could be a video issue since its that one window that won't open, but I don't get it cause every other game and MMO works just fine.

• thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788

do u have a xob or a ps2 or ps3? you can try playing on them

Nope, I don't own consoles, and I'd rather discover whats the problem with my PC or if this is POL related.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Maintenance related, maybe? Don't know how that works with POL. Haven't used it in almost 10 years.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Nah its not a maintenance issue as there are plenty of others enjoying the game currently.../cry {I wanna play already!}

Anyway, I noticed this before I decided to reformat hoping it was just a problem with my Win7 install, when I attempt to get POL to run with Program Compatability it comes back saying that POL is an Incompatible Application and gives me the option to dispute it, too no avail but this is just very odd.

Hopefully SE are open today, so I can call or live chat with them to get some more info as to what this is, but being a holiday I'm doubting it...le sigh'  {1 more day...}  {figures, they're closed...just checked their support site...argh!}

• nekrothingnekrothing Member Posts: 302

Did you change your PC's region to Korean/Chinese or anything? I've heard that POL doesn't work if your PC is set to either of those. I had trouble myself with POL when I set my PC's region to Korean, back when I was playing that Dragon Ball mmo. POL just wouldn't launch or anything. Once I set it back to US though, POL started working again.

Just checked and my PC is definitely set to English, plus I recently did a complete reformat and install of everything from scratch too.  I tried everything I could possibly think of and nothing works, so it must be something unheard of that only SE could have a solution too.

I'll be sure to say what it is if they know...

• nekrothingnekrothing Member Posts: 302

A friend of mine had the same exact issue actually, but he's using an ATI card. Basically, he'd start POL, and then after the splash screen, the POL window would come up, but it would be black. After a few seconds, he'd just get a crash report thing. He tried to launch POL through windower as well, but he still had the problem. He ended up fixing the issue by updating his video driver. Not sure if what worked for him would work for you as well though, but have you tried updating your video driver? Maybe try updating your directx version too.

Yeah, before I did a reformat, I ran through and tried every video driver for the past 2 years and all were the same.  Heck the 260 series of drivers in the past few months break my nVidia control panel.  So I'm back using the 258 drivers from last July!

Ok then, I just got off live chat with Square-Enix, here is our conversation:

All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.

You have been connected to Agent Reuel.

Agent Reuel:  Hello, {edit: me}, thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX Customer Support. Just a few moments while I review your question, please.

Agent Reuel:  How may I assist you {edit: me}?

{edit: me}:  hi

{edit: me}:  One I couldn't find a number to call, there appears to only be email support for most other inquiries, so hopefully you can help me with those also?

{edit: me}:  I'd also like to know more about the XIV deal to get FFXI for $7 a month, how does that work

Agent Reuel:  That deal is not in effect due to the extended/indefinite free trial period for FFXIV

{edit: me}:  ok thats what I though, all good then

{edit: me}:  Primarily, I can't get PlayOnline to load on my PC, it crashes everytime I click the icon, and yes I'm using the Win7 Client, but it says its an incompatible application...

Agent Reuel:  Are you using Windows 7 64 bit?

{edit: me}:  yes

Agent Reuel:  And what version of FFXI are you installing the POL viewer from? Vanadiel Collection 2008? Ultimate Collection? Standalone FFXI + expansions?

{edit: me}:  I tried the 2008 collection, and the DL from POL website, and neither will work

Agent Reuel:  The DL from the POL website should be the right one

Agent Reuel:  However, if you're using Win 7 64bit

Agent Reuel:  Unfortunately Final Fantasy XI and the PlayOnline viewer are not compatible to run on 64 bit operating systems. Your version of Windows 7 is 64 bit, as is the case with most computers being sold on the market. Unfortunately Final Fantasy XI was developed when 64 bit operating systems were not released publicly. Currently there is no official fix for this -- you will need to refer to third-party sites/sources in order to get Final Fantasy XI and the PlayOnline viewer to run on your computer.

{edit: me}:  I last played from Feb-Aug 2010, and POL worked fine then...

{edit: me}:  It worked all last year on a 64bit system

Agent Reuel:  We cannot guarantee that it will

Agent Reuel:  If you're running it as 64 bit, it's on an operating system that we do not support

Agent Reuel:  We can only assist you if you're running it on 32 bit Windows OS

{edit: me}:  anyway, do you know of such sites on where I can find this info on how to make it work, I've been searching all weekend and can't find any info

Agent Reuel:  Unfortunately no

Agent Reuel:  I'd suggest looking up "running 32 bit games on 64 bit operating systems" in google, etc.

Agent Reuel:  {edit: me}, I have already provided you with a resolution to this issue. As it seems you have no other new issues I can assist you with, I will be removing you from chat at this time.

Agent Reuel:  Please try that, and if you still have trouble sign back on with us again so we can continue to assist you.

{edit: me}:  but wouldn't using a third party application be against the EULA

Agent Reuel:  It would be, which is why it's not recommended

Agent Reuel:  It's up to you whether or not you want to run it in a non-recommended setup

Agent Reuel:  Thank you for visiting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center, {edit: me}! Take care and hope to see you online!

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center. You may now close this window.

Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Well then, SE basically tells me its ok to use a third party system to make it work, {not that I ever followed that rule, cause I have always used Windower} although the search option I was given hasn't been very helpful.  And this is BS that they wouldn't even attempt to help a potential new player {well in my case a new account}.  As I said in the convo, I played all last year with no issues on a 64bit system, and the year prior for about 4 months on a 64bit system, and the other PC I mentioned in prior posts is also a 64bit system and POL runs fine there and has everytime prior.

I tried to ask another question near the end but Reuel closed the conversation and it wouldn't let me type anymore...argh!

Well if I can't get this to work, I have a FFXI Key for $5 if anyone is interested in it and missed the deal, just send me a PM, and we'll arrange payment through paypal.

• RaurikRaurik Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if you ever check this page anymore, but if so, was this problem ever resolved? Unfortunately, I think I am having the same issue as the OP. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.