Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time travel/Memory warps

Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

A lot of games have a certain approach to telling lore outside of the current timeline. Often they will show glimpses of the past through narration and cinematics, as if remminiscing. I've been thinking about this as I was remembering the holonet timeline videos and how cool it would be if there were story arcs that elaborated on those events.

The other is that you somehow find a spirit, or relic, in this case ancient sith lords or perhaps ancient jedi. And you would enter their memory and actually relive segments of their past similar to assassins creed.

I just can't help but to think how cool a certain mission would be where you could actually take part in the great hyperspace war, or place out events that effected Naga sado's decisions which lead up to the war. You could actually be put in a possition where you play an intrumental role in the telling of key events that influence what we know about how the war started. Or perhaps at least have a ground level view of it how it plays out.

What does everybody think about this?

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by denshing

A lot of games have a certain approach to telling lore outside of the current timeline. Often they will show glimpses of the past through narration and cinematics, as if remminiscing. I've been thinking about this as I was remembering the holonet timeline videos and how cool it would be if there were story arcs that elaborated on those events.

The other is that you somehow find a spirit, or relic, in this case ancient sith lords or perhaps ancient jedi. And you would enter their memory and actually relive segments of their past similar to assassins creed.

I just can't help but to think how cool a certain mission would be where you could actually take part in the great hyperspace war, or place out events that effected Naga sado's decisions which lead up to the war. You could actually be put in a possition where you play an intrumental role in the telling of key events that influence what we know about how the war started. Or perhaps at least have a ground level view of it how it plays out.

Since the 'event' happened in the past, i have to think the outcome is set and the players aren't allowed to change it.

We'll probably get to experience them via a holocron. Think the lore is that a holocron can show the memories of sith or jedi.

Since it is a memory that we are experiencing, we'll probably only get XP and not items (except maybe as a quest reward?).

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by jpnz

Since the 'event' happened in the past, i have to think the outcome is set and the players aren't allowed to change it.

We'll probably get to experience them via a holocron. Think the lore is that a holocron can show the memories of sith or jedi.

Since it is a memory that we are experiencing, we'll probably only get XP and not items (except maybe as a quest reward?).

There are many ways of giving players a sense of choice while not effecting the greater outcome of history in the lore. In fact, that is everything about what Bioware does. They could easily put you in a time period, have you go through a really epic story line with a lot of tension.

While choices you make will be self fufilling in the moment and greatly rewarding, you will build up to similar outcomes that do not alter the static lore. While many would whine that the result doesn't change, those people would complain about bioware games in general.

Most would hopefully see it for the fun that they have going through the experience itself and the short term impacts they end up making.

Originally posted by Pugsleyxxx

I think this game is going to be a great deal more simplistic, linear and shallow than you hope. You may be deluding yourself if you think that any of the usual SW fan's wish fulfilment fantasies will be realised at all.

I'm a fan of Bioware games before I take into account anything star wars related.. I know  the history of Bioware games very well.  Also, I am not deluding myself, it's just an idea. I don't actually expect this to be in game. Although arcs like this are fairly simple to create.

I would like to know what exactly you are looking at when you mention the game being simplistic. Can you elaborate because I can't really see where you are coming from other than a pessimistic view towards the entirety of the game. Which is fine, but it really isn't constructive nor can I learn anything from it so sort of pointless.

I think this game is going to be a great deal more simplistic, linear and shallow than you hope. You may be deluding yourself if you think that any of the usual SW fan's wish fulfilment fantasies will be realised at all.

I'm a fan of Bioware games before I take into account anything star wars related.. I know  the history of Bioware games very well.  Also, I am not deluding myself, it's just an idea. I don't actually expect this to be in game. Although arcs like this are fairly simple to create.

I would like to know what exactly you are looking at when you mention the game being simplistic. Can you elaborate because I can't really see where you are coming from other than a pessimistic view towards the entirety of the game. Which is fine, but it really isn't constructive nor can I learn anything from it so sort of pointless.

I am hoping this game will not be a game on rails that does not deliberately trying to emulate a WoW-in-space feel. I am sure we both hope that.

Yeah I sure hope not. From what I've read thus far, it seems as though planets are set up similarly to WoW zones in size. Now on the topic of Themepark vs Sandbox, it should be clear that we all know which we will be getting. A themepark. So right off the bat, if you are dead set on the sandbox, you can just ignore the game as it probably won't be for you.

However if you are willing to go for a Theme park style mmorpg, then you might want to ask some questsions such as.

1: Are my expectations being overshadowed by my standards of what I like in sanbox mmo's?

2:  Is the game going to be more on the open ended side as far as what we can reference from the most open ended theme park mmos around?

I base a lot of my expecations of the game world off of this. Although what we have heard from developers constantly reaffirms this, there hasn't been solid evidence that it is the case. One slight exception can be seen on a screenshot of tattooine, where you can see the player is standing on sand and you can see just about as far as the eye can go.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I think it's entirely possible to do a holocron type thing.

Playing out like this:

Player is told to go to X area.

Once player reaches the end they see a holocron floating on a stand (cause these things have to be floating or something to seem mysterious *smiles* )

They click on the holocron to use it.

A short cutscene shows them looking deeply into the holocron.

Then the game loads an instance.

The player plays through the instance and gets to the end.

Then game loads the world again.

The player proceeds to the quest NPCs

The player recieves a reward.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by whilan

I think it's entirely possible to do a holocron type thing.

Playing out like this:

Player is told to go to X area.

Once player reaches the end they see a holocron floating on a stand (cause these things have to be floating or something to seem mysterious *smiles* )

They click on the holocron to use it.

A short cutscene shows them looking deeply into the holocron.

Then the game loads an instance.

The player plays through the instance and gets to the end.

Then game loads the world again.

The player proceeds to the quest NPCs

The player recieves a reward.

Or even better proceeds to find the ruins of the environment the Holocron took him to , to recover a few long lost relics....

Oh this is going to be so much fun, seems there are a few people posting in this thread who are not aware of the size and scale of this game. But then I guess most can't be bothered and aren't here for the game.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I have seen this done in several games now and I have always liked it.  To me it made me feel a part of the history of the game, without having to do all the annoying research and such.  Plus it really is a lot more entertaining to be a part of the game than watching a video.  Here is a +1 in the hopes they do implement the idea, if not at the beginning then at some point in the near future then.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Reminds me of the quest in LOTRO where you play Durin's friend and get to take part in the events when they discover the Balrog of Morgoth in Moria. Great stuff. Good way to show you things that otherwise are only lore. This way you get to experience it, and I'd definately be pleased if they say, allowed you to see Exar Kun arrive on Coruscant and slaughter the senate, or whatever he did, I'm a little shady on that. All the more reason for a quest to set me straight.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3