Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Saddness] Nothing good about Everquest 1 in 2011

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

locked time release vote release server on vangard?or for that mather all soe title?would probably be a good idea!eq1 full server in 5 minute in first server !the concept of this server is loved there is no doubt about it!

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by grratch

If vanguard were to have a rerelease with a new server and no tutorial zone like everquest is doign with the progression server I would totally give it a try. The tutorial zone killed it for me though and the fact that it is known the game is "dead" ;(

Tutorial zone?

You mean Isle Of Dawn?

No one is forcing you to start on the isle,you can start in your home/race city?

Telon server is okay but Halgar might as well be dead.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Emergence

Phew, thank you guys. I thought I would just get toasted from EQ fanbois (the first few ppl just told me to "GO BACK TO WOW THIS ISNT EZ MODE!" but obviously didn't read the OP fully.

It seems like anyone who has also joined the progression servers feels this way. Those who flamed me probably have not yet went back to try out the new server.

I wanted to like it... I really, really did... but honestly...

EQ2 and Vanguard are amazing compared to this. In fact, I miss both of those games because of this experience...

Was thinking the exact same thing, although more so VG than EQ2.  EQ2 classes annoy me with how similar they are, makes playing more than once caster/fighter etc. pointless.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by whilan

If you tried to play yesterday the common notion was to group up with others.  I started in akanon/steamfont yesterday, in one day i managed to get to level 14 (granted i moved onto places like unrest, but thats natural)

Now one day consists of about 12 hours but there ya go.

L14?!? Wtf...

It did feel that leveling was slower than I remembered, I'm glad it wasn't my imagination. I knew leveling was slower than in other MMO's but this felt even slower.

Heh, in AOC I'd have already hit L20 within 10 hrs. Here you reach barely L3 (when soloing).

The environment feels majestic, even if the graphics can't compete with nowadays that sensation is still there: I don't know if it's the fact that nights really feel as nights in Greater Faydark, or that maybe the trees are larger, but the forest in Greater Faydark really feels as a forest, not just a couple of trees spread around as it often feels in other MMO's.

You really can get lost in the Faydark woods, something that doesn't happen to me in other MMO's. Without the addition of the map it would've already happened a couple of times to me.

Originally posted by elocke

EQ2 and Vanguard are amazing compared to this. In fact, I miss both of those games because of this experience...

Was thinking the exact same thing, although more so VG than EQ2.  EQ2 classes annoy me with how similar they are, makes playing more than once caster/fighter etc. pointless.

I played EQ2 from the start, I was disappointed with how little it captured the same magic as EQ did. Vanguard was a truer, worthier successor to EQ than EQ2 was.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by neceo

someone really compared it to WoW?  hahahah

Who said that?  I mentioned being told go back to WoW because that's the knee jerk reaction these days when ANYONE shows a negative opinion on someones cherished game.  Not comparing to WoW at all.

However, I will compare it to VG and FFXI, as those games are my favs and CRUSH EQ in terms of delivery and mechanics, even though sometimes FFXI gets on my nerves with controls.  But at least FFXI gives me easy mobs to kill in the first 10 levels to get used to the game, sheesh.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

The OP had the wrong expections going into the progression server.  It's not the game's fault, not anybody's fault really.  People asked for a progression server that felt like old school classic, and both progression servers released are just that.  There were tons of arguments about how people didn't remember it took this long to get from lvl 1 to 2, but people are simply not remembering right.  It DID take this long, but back in 1999 people were busy going "ooh ahhh" about 3D graphics that nobody cared about their exp bar.  These days?  Much different expectations, people these days expect to hit lvl 5 in 30 minutes, lvl 10 in 1 hour, all solo by themselves.

The funny part is Fippy and Vulak both imitate classic EQ servers in 1999 almost perfectly.  Exp is not as slow as it was, but slow enough to make grouping worth while.  I know, it's a concept hard to understand these days.  People were laughing at the idea of grouping at level 1 or level 2, but yet those that did group leveled waaaay faster than those that tried to be solo heroes.  Those that grouped and not boxed were leveling faster, easier, and had a much better time in the game socializing & making friends.  That's what the old school EQ was about, and that's what the progression servers were supposed to bring back.

Now your title is "Nothing good about Everquest 1 in 2011", so now the 2 new progression server represent the whole Everquest 1 franchise?  You're just going to overlook 14 other regular servers?  Here's the thing, if you are indeed looking for faster exp rate, they are on any of the 14 regular servers today in EQ.  If you are looking to solo from 1-max, they are available in the regular server EQ today as we speak.  I know, I have a few level 90's on regular servers, and they were mostly leveled by just me and my mercenary.

If you are looking for updated graphics, they're in any of the regular 14 servers.  If you are looking for rush to the endgame and raid raid raid, they're readily available on any of the regular servers.  If you are looking to have all the UI features turned on, all the new updated ingame features and everything that makes your lives easier, again you guessed it, they're all readily available in any of the 14 regular servers right now.

So...  If you logged into Fippy or Vulak'Aerr expecting any of the above, you were heading into the progression servers with the wrong expectations.  Fippy and Vulak are NOT the regular servers, they are not 2011 EQ and they were never meant to be the new EQ.  They are however, an imitation of old school EQ, something that many players have asked for in the past many many years.  They will be niche servers for sure, but so far day 2, they are still the most populated servers in EQ, people are getting above level 10, people are selling/trading armor/weapons in Commonlands, people are grouping with random strangers (something unheard of on regular servers).  Don't bash EQ just because you didn't find the progression servers a fit for you.  What you seek are in regular servers today, with all the shiney new features including player housing.  I like regular servers, as I said I have a few lvl 90's already.  But right now I'm having an absolute blast on the progression servers.

It's different, whether it's for you or not, you have to admit it's something different from what we've been getting from the MMO genre in the past 5 years.  They may not be your cup of tea, but then you aren't exactly giving it a fair shake by judging a community by day 1 newbie rush, while the free reactivations are in effect where some players are playing now just so they can cause problems.  Think of day 1 newbue rush in any of the new MMO's, it is ALWAYS hectic, people always run towards the same mobs you are running towards, people are always stomping over you.  The true community won't really start until things settle down a bit, until free reactivation ends on 2/21, or until people stop crying about the lack of mobs while at the same time not spending the time to travel to another lesser populated zones to experience something different.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Who said that?  I mentioned being told go back to WoW because that's the knee jerk reaction these days when ANYONE shows a negative opinion on someones cherished game.  Not comparing to WoW at all.

However, I will compare it to VG and FFXI, as those games are my favs and CRUSH EQ in terms of delivery and mechanics, even though sometimes FFXI gets on my nerves with controls.  But at least FFXI gives me easy mobs to kill in the first 10 levels to get used to the game, sheesh.

Shrug. Dude, if you didn't like it, you didn't like it. SImple as that.

However, I myself didn't die once yet so it isn't that dying all the time is the standard, you just have to play it differently than other easy-mode MMO's. Granted, the huge numbers of players makes looking for mobs of the same level harder than usual.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

CRUSH EQ ...... really so what this makes you feel better now that you with absolutely no idea of what the progression server is about condemned it ,you feel superior is it. You don't like it that is fine just leave it alone there is no need for you to take a 1999 game and beat it down.  

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Well, I didn't play it back in the day either but I'm having a good time. I can understand how a lot people used to modern mmo's are not going to like it though.

• kinikukiniku Member Posts: 53

Why do gamers everywhere start these "I'm leaving!" threads?  Are you uncertain of your assessment so you are hoping to be talked out of it?  Are you so self absorbed that you feel your rationale mirrors the rest of the world so everyone should heed your "sage" advice? 

Not just to this OP but to everyone that posts this crap:  don't like it?  Make your choice, move on, and take the time you waste substantiating/arguing your "decision" and use it to seek the next game of many out there that could tickle your fancy.

And for those of you that argue back and forth wit this thread.  go solve world peace or hopefully unemployment will finally stop after over 2 years and you'll have to look for a job.

• Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

Phew, thank you guys. I thought I would just get toasted from EQ fanbois (the first few ppl just told me to "GO BACK TO WOW THIS ISNT EZ MODE!" but obviously didn't read the OP fully.

It seems like anyone who has also joined the progression servers feels this way. Those who flamed me probably have not yet went back to try out the new server.

Why do you care about getting toasted for your opinion? Its yours. Though I happen to agree and am relegating EQ back to my mmo past, I also wouldn't say "anyone" who has joined the progression server feels this way, fact is most people who enjoy a game don't bother with the forums unless its to get some help. So if they're feelin ok, you prolly won't be able to gauge that from here. Also, as was pointed out earlier, it seems this first build requires grouping from the start, by the time I started playing, during the Kunark release, that wasn't the case, I could solo or team and do ok either way, (tho teams were fun as heck and much preferred) so maybe it might be more user friendly for players like me in a few progressions or so. I will say tho, my already great appreciation for the "sidekicking" feature of modern mmos is even greater today than it was yesterday after remembering some of the shortfalls of EQs interplayer dynamics, which was essentially why I left.

Originally posted by kiniku

Why do gamers everywhere start these "I'm leaving!" threads?  Are you uncertain of your assessment so you are hoping to be talked out of it?  Are you so self absorbed that you feel your rationale mirrors the rest of the world so everyone should heed your "sage" advice? 

Answer is of course, he was looking for attention.  That's why he posted this in the General forum initially, rather than the EQ forum. 

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by Mardy

Originally posted by kiniku

Answer is of course, he was looking for attention.  That's why he posted this in the General forum initially, rather than the EQ forum. 

Actually no, if you're familiar with the OP he tends to look for legitimate discussions.

It's not his fault that in this case most people of the other side are choosing not to see things from a different perspective, and resort to the fanboy type comments like "you don't understand/go back to WoW".

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

As I recall it took me a little over a year just to get to 50. Perhaps all the modern day coddling has made you soft.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I gotta laugh at people who think EQ takes skill. Its just requires patience, and a high tolerance to boredom.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Originally posted by kitarad

You had the wrong expectations going in. The server is for people who want to experience the game as it was in 1999. Obviously those of you who are getting a terrible shock about what the game including the controls are not interested in that. Those of you who never experienced even worse cannot get it at all why we want to go back to 1999. 

Swimming is page up and down why did you not check the keyboard controls. Was it that hard for you to check that out ? Want that to be spoonfed to you like everything else. Read check . Did you by any chance question why the controls were such. This was probably to emulate what they were like in 1999. I think if you point your mouse upwards it works in the newer servers,not sure did'nt swim yet.Not excusable behaviour but if you started asking questions about why a control is like this and not that you might get some hostility. I am not condoning it though but the vets can get testy .

Those of you who do not get what this server means will just not get it. All your complaints are valid but they are not what this server is about. There was room for 2,000 people on that server. Think about that and what a tiny tiny part of the MMORPG population that is. You are obviously not the target audience if this is your reaction and those who never even experienced Everquest before even less so because of everything you have written here.

Get over it and move on and do not feel you have to analise this and explain it because there is no shame in not understanding. This server was meant for a very select group of players who wanted this and asked for it and clamoured for it and got it.

theres a world of difference between being a vet and an elitist, a true vet that cant be bothered to answer  question will ignore it, an elitist will flame to make himself/herself feel like they are special, a true vet that wants to help a newb will answer the questions n offer advice etc without the attitude, an elitist may deign to offer help advice after ridiculing the newb

personally i feel  its attitudes like this that make communities suck. even if someone tries something n then find out its not what they expected or really wanted there no reason for the existing "vets" to make asshats out of themselves

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

The progression server is not for everyone.  I thought I established that on page one.

Those who loved the idea should stop bashing those that found that they did not as if it's some personal attack on their beloved game.  I think it's generally safe to say that most people who have tried or are trying the server were huge fans of Everquest at some point.  Most people, however, have these nostalgic memories of the game which tend to taint their image what the game was really like,  and many of the negatives of EQ are now much more glaring and unforgivable in the face of modern innovations in games such as EQ2, WoW, and LotRO.  Most the who didn't enjoy the progression server seem to be stating that EQ really wasn't how they remembered, which I think touches on a huge issue.  Not everyone, but many of us who pine for the old days probably would think again when given the chance to go back and visit them because those days were rarely as rosy as we remember them.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

I thought I felt the crushing power of Vanguard once, but it was a car that had started on fire down the road. 

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

The first few levels are definetly hard to get through at the moment.

Some starting zones are rediculously full. I started as a halfling in misty thicket and it isn't that horrible.

I highly highly highly suggest grouping, or at least finding a partner to hunt with, this will make things much faster and hopefully you die less.

As far as lack of spells, and songs for your characters, you have to level up to get them!  Some bard spells are available at level 1 I think, but you have to buy them!

Make friends, just enjoy the ride.  I really suggest grouping.  Also, if your starting zone is way way way full to the point you cannot hunt, run to another starting zone that is less full, or reroll a character that is a less played race.

Starting in Gfay will suck, at least right now.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

I'm not going to flame, but I recall when DAOC came out it was very possible to be killed by an even con mob especially if your gear wasn't up to snuff.

Especially for certain classes, it was important to try and fight mobs that were one con level below you (blue in DAOC) or even Green if you had to. (yellow being even).  In those days oranges were extremely tough and anything red unthinkable.  (it changed over the years unfortunately).

Another factor DAOC had which I'm thinking EQ might as well is that each mob type had resistances and weaknesses to certain kinds of damage.  So while your mace might lay waste to a same con skeleton but be very ineffective against a tough skinned goblin where piercing weapons might be more effective.  I'm going to guess this might be the main reason for you dying so much.

Newer gamers don't realize to what depth older MMO's actually went.  In DAOC you had to pick your characters stats correctly, and the choices you made actually made your use of certain weapon types more effective.  Go with high strengh and you were great with crushing weapons, while high Dex gave you better Pierce weapons.  There was also slashing damage as I recall which I think worked best with a balanced build.

Of course all of these choices came with a cost, you normally could only excel at one or two areas and you learned to avoid fighting mobs that were outside of your optimal range.

Finally you missed one very obvious difference, EQ is designed to encourage you to group, even at level 1.  If you were dying too much at level 1 you should have teamed up to make sure that didn't happen.  Perhaps somewhere there was a cleric running around with only autoattack and a simple heal spell.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm not going to flame, but I recall when DAOC came out it was very possible to be killed by an even con mob especially if your gear wasn't up to snuff.

Especially for certain classes, it was important to try and fight mobs that were one con level below you (blue in DAOC) or even Green if you had to. (yellow being even).  In those days oranges were extremely tough and anything red unthinkable.  (it changed over the years unfortunately).

Another factor DAOC had which I'm thinking EQ might as well is that each mob type had resistances and weaknesses to certain kinds of damage.  So while your mace might lay waste to a same con skeleton but be very ineffective against a tough skinned goblin where piercing weapons might be more effective.  I'm going to guess this might be the main reason for you dying so much.

Newer gamers don't realize to what depth older MMO's actually went.  In DAOC you had to pick your characters stats correctly, and the choices you made actually made your use of certain weapon types more effective.  Go with high strengh and you were great with crushing weapons, while high Dex gave you better Pierce weapons.  There was also slashing damage as I recall which I think worked best with a balanced build.

Of course all of these choices came with a cost, you normally could only excel at one or two areas and you learned to avoid fighting mobs that were outside of your optimal range.

Finally you missed one very obvious difference, EQ is designed to encourage you to group, even at level 1.  If you were dying too much at level 1 you should have teamed up to make sure that didn't happen.  Perhaps somewhere there was a cleric running around with only autoattack and a simple heal spell.

I played DaoC this week to see what the fuss was about.  I can guarantee if I had been into MMOs when this launched I would have played it hardcore.  It just "feels" and looks better than EQ by a mile.  That's my OP, but I didn't have much issue with how DaoC played, could be because it felt a lot like FFXI in terms of monster difficulty and such.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I had a lot of fun playing. I did notice that soloing and grouping got the same exp per kill basically, but it was a lot faster and safer grouping. Once my friend and I finally got on at the same time and in the same zone, exp was coming along quite nicely.

Some of the noobs asking questions and for help were idiots though. One guy was asking where the zone was. I said to check the map and you can see it. The zone had a map, so I knew he would be able to see it. He got upset because no one would tell him which way to go and how to get there when we didn't even know where he was in relation to the zone. What more can we say then check the map, it is on the southwest corner of it.

I saw a lot of people getting angry because no one would lead them by the leash and point them to the exact spot where they needed to go and how to do it.

There were a few that asked some quality questions and got help in return. Didn't see much flaming from people. People were generally helpful.

One advice I would give people is just go up to people say hi and mention grouping. otherwise people will just stand around LFG and soloing. The game is A LOT more fun when you're grouped. I would be bored out of my mind too if I had crappy skills and no abilities and just autoattacked a mob alone all day. That isn't the purpose of this game though, nor the server.

Originally posted by Golelorn

I gotta laugh at people who think EQ takes skill. Its just requires patience, and a high tolerance to boredom.

Well, apparently there's kind of a trick or used methods that not everyone has learnt yet, since some people managed very well to stay alive and prevent dying as good as all of the time, where others keep dying continuously.

It's because of the simple fact that the mobs in EQ are tougher to kill than in current MMO's, so you have to be more aware in combat, and run when needed.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Can't stress that enough, although yesterday a lot of people were still stubborn wanting to solo their way through.  My g/f and I are MMO vets, beta'ed and played EQ in 1999, played EQ recently since 2 years ago, so we know how EQ works.  But even we died no less than 10 times yesterday making noobish mistakes.

Noobish mistake #1:  Ran out and started attacking a social mob, forgetting that if the mob is near another one of its kind, it would pull the other towards you.  Died.

Noobish mistake #2:  Ran out to attack a yellow con mob, said eh why not, I can kill mobs higher level than me on regular EQ servers also in other games.  Got pwned, died.

Noobish mistake #3:  Ran to another zone because Qeynos was waaaay overcrowded.  We got to Erudin, saw that there aren't as many people, we cheered and started killing mobs.  Died, then realized we didn't rebind, back to Qeynos we go.  Good lord I should've known this as an EQ vet right?

Noobish mistake #4:  G/f's ranger and I, bard, were kiting mobs that were too hard for us to kill toe to toe.  We got confident because we had good luck kiting some mobs.  Then came up to a lion, started kiting, CRAP the effer runs faster than me.  My bard had no selos yet, ranger had no sow or snare yet, damnit I should've known better.  Some mobs do run faster and without snare or sow, you can't kite it.  Died again.

Noobish mistake #5:  We thought we found a nice quite spot to pull to, it was near the entrance of a zone, and said oh cool we can zone when we need to!  While killing a mob, a train came through.  To be fair, the person yelled train to zone, but we didn't notice it.  So the train steamrolled both of us over, upside down, twice.  Yes we died, and then we said to each other... wtf were we doing fighting near the zoneline?!

As you can see, it doesn't matter how good you think you are, you will die.  You will die lots.  But you die and you learn.  You have up until level 6 before you start losing exp so you have plenty of time to learn.  You learn from your mistake once and you usually don't make the same mistake again.  It's part of old school EQ.  You also learn to work with your team mates.  Grouping allows you to not only learn how to play with others, but it allows you to learn what other classes do.

We were in a group looking at a group of 5 orcs, yellow to red con.  Now, at level 5-7 we can't mez them, and we can't split pull.  Most people would not even bother attempting a group like that. 

Then the druid spoke up and said, "how about I root one, then snare the other to kite?"  Shaman said "I can slow one and tank one, while the tank holds the other".  So we attempted it, and we did it without a death.  Ghetto CC is what you call it, thinking outside the box, achieving what isn't the norm.  That's what you can learn from grouping, and the fun that comes from working as a team.

EQ isn't for everyone, but there is a new EQ via 14 regular servers, and the old EQ via the two progression servers.  They cater to different crowds, and it's about time we get something different to play in the genre.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Well, apparently there's kind of a trick or used methods that not everyone has learnt yet, since some people managed very well to stay alive and prevent dying as good as all of the time, where others keep dying continuously.

It's because of the simple fact that the mobs in EQ are tougher to kill than in current MMO's, so you have to be more aware in combat, and run when needed.

This has always been the case and show that people entering this server do not understand how the game mechanics work and will leave. It's not a bad thing as this game is from 1999 not 2012 what did you expect? You can marco the game and use the system for each class if you get your head around it from the off.

I still have my active account on EQ normal servers due to a $OE payment mistake they have never turned it off so my account is active and has been since 1999 and I have seen many changes but the early days were a real rush, in fact I'm about to pop on in a second now that it's been running a few days to see what's going on and listen to the crys of hate :P

To all those who fail to understand they system welcome.....Loading please wait!!!

Bandit

Asbo