Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you've been debating playing FFXI.

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I posted this in the LFGame forum, but thought it might fit better here.

Are you tired of the current trend of MMO's? Are you sick of "themepark" games that all follow the same path. Killing 10 rats, and rarely working or playing with others, outside of instanced dungeons where the only people you socialize with are your fellow group members who would rather curse you into oblivion and get their "Uber purplez" than have a civilized conversation and make new friends.

Do you miss the days of old when these games were less about "me" and more about "us", our friends we made in game, our guilds etc. When people got together for a common goal and spent hours exploring vast lands and dungeons together. They weren't trying to apply math problems to their play sessions, they just "played" and "had fun". 

Well, most of you have probably seen me post countless times "Looking for a game" playing one for a few months, and then ending up right back here, posting the same tired question and getting the same answers. Why can't I stick with a game? Why aren't any of these new games fun? I was talking to a friend today and was explaining to him my history with these games and he asked:

"Dude, how in the heck did you make it to end game in FFXI and WoW?, you don't seem to stick with any one game for longer than a few weeks/months?"

In answering his question I figured it out. 

PEOPLE...

Its what kept me in WoW for 4 years, and what kept me in FFXI for 4.5. The People. The guilds I was in, the people I socialized with. In a nutshell this is what made the games fun for me. I still think at its heart, this is the appeal of MMO's in general.. despite the content.. etc.. Getting to socialize and hang out in a huge virtual world with a bunch of people you'd otherwise never meet. 

So whats the problem? Well, because of the change in the MMO genre. The "communities" we once knew have been replaced with min max "Gamers" who are more interested in how many purples they have and how fast they can get through the content than any kind of socialization or adventure. 

So, I know what your asking. Why the long winded post? Well, After much thought and going through literally every decent MMO to come out in the past 10 years trying to find something to play. I thought, maybe there are some people out there who have the same problem I have, and instead of trying to find a game and THEN search for folks to play with.. what if I could bring people with me to play with?

Someone else tried something similar, and while it got a huge response here.. it seemed like the biggest problem with it was that noone wanted to agree on a game and it sort of just fizzled out. So, here's what I propose. I'm currently reinstalling 

FINAL FANTASY XI

I thought long and hard about this, and this would be the closest thing to the kind of game we all remember, that still has a decent population, and hasn't change "too" much so that you cannot still enjoy the things about it that made it great. In fact a new patch thats coming will make things even better. Fields of Valor restrictions are being lifted, and mobs are becoming more soloable. This is going to improve the playability of the game to what I think will be a level that it should have always been at. Anyone who played it back just after release, knows how difficult it was. Now I think its "just right", and would be a perfect fit for a group of like minded individuals.

So I'm extending an offer to anyone who is in the same boat as me, who is looking for a game but can't seem to find anything that suits them, who may just be looking for some other folks to play with. I haven't chosen a server just yet, because I wanted to see just what kind of response I would get, but we'd be joining a highly populated server, and I'd like to form a linkshell and group up to complete content from level 1-90. 

If you've never played FFXI and always wanted to, but didn't want to be all alone in your endeavor, this is your chance. Doing content together, exploring the lands, and just shooting the shit with each other. Thats what MMO's have always been about to me, and FFXI has the perfect setting for that. If you are interested, reply to this thread and add me on XFIRE.. Azmyth2k. LETS DO THIS!

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I might be down for this.  Depends really on how many folks we get.  I've got a fresh character slot waiting to start a new toon though.  Added you to my xfire, I forget what my name is on it lol.  Yoda or elocke or something.

• LyulfeLyulfe Member Posts: 213

It might really help your cause if you mentioned the complete FFXI collection is on sale on Steam this week for $5.

Good luck with your re-roll :)

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

My wife and I are very much interested. We do have chars on Ramuh, but aren t opposed to re rolling, as long as we have people to play with, with mentoring now it makes a huge difference as were the type to not level fast. Let me know how it goes.

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

Originally posted by Leucent

My wife and I are very much interested. We do have chars on Ramuh, but aren t opposed to re rolling, as long as we have people to play with, with mentoring now it makes a huge difference as were the type to not level fast. Let me know how it goes.

Hey, Ramuh is the server I played on back in the day. 

How long have you played there?  I've been wanting to get in touch with my old linkshell mates and all the Ramuh locals I grouped with for so many great adventures.  :-)   Perhaps we knew eachother?    PM me you and your wife's character names if ya want!

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

We are going to be rolling on Titan server.

We have half a dozen or so folks right now, not counting the people who posted in this thread. 

The idea is to do all the content, regardless of its relevance to end game. 

Basically pretending we've never played before. Missions, etc

I'm updating right now, but should be good to go tomorrow.

Currently playing:

Also as mentioned. If you don't have the game.. you can buy it from STEAM.. for a ridiculously low price of 4.99

You can't buy a combo meal at Burger King for that.

Currently playing:

Not to sure if this has changed, but wouldn t it be a good idea to wait for the 1st of next month. If I remember correctly, you get charged a whole month whether it s the 1st or 31st, it makes no difference. If thats chaged then cool, but if my wife and I were to do this we would wait till the 1 st, if it hasn t changed.

I think thats how it works if your reactivating. Myself and a few others are starting from the ground up on brand new accounts, so it shouldn''t affect us. If you guys want to join us and have to reactivate I doubt we'll get too awfully far ahead in that amount of time.

Currently playing:

• whiplash865whiplash865 Member UncommonPosts: 21

wow, ffxi is one of my all time favorite games. I'm definitely down to join you guys if it really is only $5.

Also, for those of you who are new or aren't aware. There is a method of tweaking the graphics to max them out to as high as they will possibly go. The game still looks ridiculously good after all these years, after doing that. If you don't know how to do it, let me know and I can assist.

Currently playing:

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Awww man, I'm such a sucker.  Okay, I just downloaded this.  I have been not wanting to play a sub game, but.... I'm hoping FFXI is cheaper than 15 dollars a month nowadays, at least?  D:

Still, 5 bucks... I can't pass that up.

The monthly fee is only 12.95 a month I believe it is.Join us on titan!

Currently playing:

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I am 'thelemur' on Steam.  I'll look into getting XFire later. :)

Downloading the game now.  If I want a character on another server, is that 1 dollar each? :(

• Roid_RageRoid_Rage Member Posts: 7

I played FF XIV  and didn't really enjoy it.  I think this game might be worth a whirl if I could start with a group of people.

Is this game like FFXIV? Do classes really matter? They didn't seem to in FFXIV. 

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Classes or Jobs as they're called in XI do matter for the lower/mid ranged content, but once you get into Abyssea 75+ you can have parties consisting of anything and easily succeed. 

You don't need tanks, nor do you need dedicated healers, cause mobs die so fast {even massive 18-man allaince NMs can be 2-shot by solo players now with the Primeval Brew that gives a player the effects of Transcendency}and you earn so much XP, that if one does fall, you get a raise and just sit out until your sickness if over, 8min and you're still getting so much XP that you have what you lost back 100 fold before you're ready to rejoin the alliance. 

Abyssea has changed the entire way that one plays XI, and if you're lucky and have an LS that will let you join at lvl 30 you can be lvl 75+ in just a few hours, and lvl 90 in a few days, though it does take a few more hrs...heh

If you like story and lore though, FFXI has the best ever and its worthy of a playthrough for that alone.  It'd prolly take you months to get through all the story XI offers and its all so very well done.

• whiplash865whiplash865 Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by Khrymson

Classes or Jobs as they're called in XI do matter for the lower/mid ranged content, but once you get into Abyssea 75+ you can have parties consisting of anything and easily succeed. 

You don't need tanks, nor do you need dedicated healers, cause mobs die so fast {even massive 18-man allaince NMs can be 2-shot by solo players now with the Primeval Brew that gives a player the effects of Transcendency}and you earn so much XP, that if one does fall, you get a raise and just sit out until your sickness if over, 8min and you're still getting so much XP that you have what you lost back 100 fold before you're ready to rejoin the alliance. 

Abyssea has changed the entire way that one plays XI, and if you're lucky and have an LS that will let you join at lvl 30 you can be lvl 75+ in just a few hours, and lvl 90 in a few days, though it does take a few more hrs...heh

If you like story and lore though, FFXI has the best ever and its worthy of a playthrough for that alone.  It'd prolly take you months to get through all the story XI offers and its all so very well done.

wow, is this true? you go from 30-75 in a few hours? that sounds...crazy!

Its true, that in abyssea its possible to level that fast but you'll miss alot of cool stuff.

We are planning to go back and do alot of the old content, your free to level how you wish but me personally I don't see the point in going from 30-75 in a few hours.

note: as far as I know, this still isn't the "norm" you'd have to join a LS who does this to be able to do that. (correct me if I am wrong)

Currently playing:

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by raystantz

note: as far as I know, this still isn't the "norm" you'd have to join a LS who does this to be able to do that. (correct me if I am wrong)

Yeah you need to be well connected to get into an LS that will let you leech like that, not that you just stand there doing nothing though.  They'd likely put you on "opening chest" detail which is extremely important at keeping the XP flow multiplaying at such high rates and the time remaining, which isn't much issue anymore so I've heard.

As I've said though and Ray concurs the story and journey is the best part of playing XI, and with the double XP and endless FoVs now you'll still level at an increased rate and be able to enjoy all the adventures along the way.  Though if I were to return I'd work on getting Blue Mage to lvl 90 then going back and soloing all the story and content I've been trying to finish for years but couldn't find help with, or find someone else thats new and needs help doing it.  I've always enjoyed helping others...

How exactly does it work again. I can t remember if you buy the game say on the 5th and start an acoount, your free 30 days would end say on the 5 th next month. Are you charged on the 5th each month there after and only is the 1 st if reactivating? I can t remember.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

this game was just recommended to me in the lfg forum and for the price i say i don't mind trying it out.  Would i be able to join you guys/girls?

Might be a dumb question, but after purchase I have a cd key on my steam account. I remember my old account had BBQ.....

Is this cd key all I need , lol all I know was Playonline was a pain sometimes.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Its true, that in abyssea its possible to level that fast but you'll miss alot of cool stuff.

We are planning to go back and do alot of the old content, your free to level how you wish but me personally I don't see the point in going from 30-75 in a few hours.

The way it worked two months ago when I quit was you just got a toon to 30, then you made an alliance for a typical Abyssea party on something easy like Mandra's.  Then since you MADE The alliance everyone expected you to leech, its pretty much the norm.  I got a lot of toons to 90 really fast that way, 30-90 in a day is very possible and honestly very easy to achieve if you just go through the trouble of  /telling people and setting up your own alliance.

Generally speaking you have to also open up the chests for the time extentions and such too, meaning you'd have to have a bit of Cruor saved up.  You get cruor from partying in Abyssea, so once you get one toon high enough to legitamately party in Abyssea you can save up to PL every other job to max level really fast.

Which is why I quit. 

Everyone has every job at 90 and they all want gear for every job, people don't want to share or help each other any more, just dual box and solo everything.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

The way it worked two months ago when I quit was you just got a toon to 30, then you made an alliance for a typical Abyssea party on something easy like Mandra's.  Then since you MADE The alliance everyone expected you to leech, its pretty much the norm.  I got a lot of toons to 90 really fast that way, 30-90 in a day is very possible and honestly very easy to achieve if you just go through the trouble of  /telling people and setting up your own alliance.

Generally speaking you have to also open up the chests for the time extentions and such too, meaning you'd have to have a bit of Cruor saved up.  You get cruor from partying in Abyssea, so once you get one toon high enough to legitamately party in Abyssea you can save up to PL every other job to max level really fast.

Which is why I quit. 

Everyone has every job at 90 and they all want gear for every job, people don't want to share or help each other any more, just dual box and solo everything.

Well the whole point of this is to do it the old fashioned way. We won't tell anyone they can't do that, but they'll be missing out on most of the fun stuff.

Currently playing:

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

$5 on steam eh.  I never tried this game, the last Final Fantasy I played with FF7, but hell, for five bucks I might as well pick it up.  Got way too many games on my plate currently so probably wont be playing anytime soon unfortunately.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Which is why I quit. 

Well the whole point of this is to do it the old fashioned way. We won't tell anyone they can't do that, but they'll be missing out on most of the fun stuff.

My wife and I cannot wait. We just bought the deal on steam and are updating atm. Won t be in till tomorrow mind you. We had a great static PT that broke up in our 50 s due to some people having to leave the game. It hasn t been the same since. You guys sound like the people we ve been looking for to play with for years. Kudos on starting this and look forward to playing with you guys soon.