Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does everyone choose the bad guy?

13»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Joshua69

srsly, in WoW, Whorde alwyas out number Alliance. DC, more villans than hero's. And we all know everyone is going to roll a Sith in old republic. I don't get it, it scares me. To me this says that if America were invaded by "anyone", they would go with whom ever they see as the bad guy. Am I missing something here? 

I would say that people play bad guys (however you want to define that) because they are more colorful, more that one can do with the characters.

"Good guys" usually stick to a very predicable way of behaving. "Bad Guys" have more leeway, there seems to be more freedom, more ways to "be bad"

Now, given that most players don't role play, it's probably the perception of freedom that it gives.

And since games that have "bad" or morally suspect characters/races make them and their areas very interesting, it has appeal.

Bad characters have many ways to be bad. Good characters are usually more restricted.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Originally posted by Loktofeit

The same is true of every race. None of them are saints and they all have their bad side to them. That doesn't change the fact that the races are all equally guilty in the grand scheme of thing and no one faction/race is designed to be 'the good guys' or 'the bad guys'.

Actually, Tauren, Orcs, Trolls, and even the new Goblins all lack that 'kill the other races' agenda, they're all trying to maintain a foothold and 'grow', not 'purge'. Blood Elves I still find odd and just don't think they should be on Horde or Alliance side, but even so their only specifically evil act would be the naru or whatever the rune creature thingies are called. Their own goals revolve around reclaiming their old power as well as their homeland.

The horde itself is actually a defensive response that was born out of a desire to survive as well as a method of retaining enough forces to hold against the 'alliance' that was a wee bit more bent on that 'purge' theory.

Most the Alliance is in the Alliance for the reason of recovering losses really. Humans and gnomes both wanting their homeland back. Dwarves wanted revenge for the loss of their leader as well as their dwindling status in the world. Night Elves are in a similar boat to the Blood Elves since from WC3 they have been trying to rebuild and recover from the loss of the World Tree as well as the extended casualties of dealing with Arthas and Illidan. Worgen just kind of are, once again kinda suckered into the Alliance mostly for protection. And the Draeni, well. They're 'now holiest of holy goody two shoes.

Though they 'used to be' quite literally the root of all evil within the Warcraft universe.

The Forsaken, of all the races, is the only one that's actively trying to 'purge' the existence of other races in order to achieve their own ends. 

It's even part of the lore that one of the Troll factions has left the Horde because the Forsaken going against the Horde leader's commands and using the plague they've been engineering. 'Es right, The Forsaken's presence and actions are now actively contributing to the supposed degradation of the Horde as per Blizzard's lore.

More or less, the only reason the Forsaken are in the Horde is because they hold Lordaeron ruins. The horde want to keep that place from the alliance, because if they took it back that would bolster morale and properly lead in to even greater conflict.

Ain't semantics here. Forsaken have done the most evil things, and are increasing in the amount of things they do as well as the extent they're willing to go.

Which is back to the necessary evil comment.

May not be the full intent of the writers, but as the direction they are taking, they have pushed it more and more obviously to those paying attention to the lore. Which is something I'm, actually annoyed about.

The factions used to be more balanced in that neither were blatantly evil, but it has degraded as the quality and coherency of the lore has degraded, and there is much more obvious points of evil now.

I'm not about to attribute that solely to the numbers on Horde side though. Honestly, their races were at least more novel originally and coming off the RTS games, they seemed more sane and stable too. Too bad that's no longer the case.

Also, doesn't this 'evil is more popular' question get covered rather well by some tropes?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Deivos

Originally posted by Loktofeit

The same is true of every race. None of them are saints and they all have their bad side to them. That doesn't change the fact that the races are all equally guilty in the grand scheme of thing and no one faction/race is designed to be 'the good guys' or 'the bad guys'.

Actually, Tauren, Orcs, Trolls, and even the new Goblins all lack that 'kill the other races' agenda, they're all trying to maintain a foothold and 'grow', not 'purge'. Blood Elves I still find odd and just don't think they should be on Horde or Alliance side, but even so their only specifically evil act would be the naru or whatever the rune creature thingies are called. Their own goals revolve around reclaiming their old power as well as their homeland.

The horde itself is actually a defensive response that was born out of a desire to survive as well as a method of retaining enough forces to hold against the 'alliance' that was a wee bit more bent on that 'purge' theory.

Most the Alliance is in the Alliance for the reason of recovering losses really. Humans and gnomes both wanting their homeland back. Dwarves wanted revenge for the loss of their leader as well as their dwindling status in the world. Night Elves are in a similar boat to the Blood Elves since from WC3 they have been trying to rebuild and recover from the loss of the World Tree as well as the extended casualties of dealing with Arthas and Illidan. Worgen just kind of are, once again kinda suckered into the Alliance mostly for protection. And the Draeni, well. They're 'now holiest of holy goody two shoes.

Though they 'used to be' quite literally the root of all evil within the Warcraft universe.

The Forsaken, of all the races, is the only one that's actively trying to 'purge' the existence of other races in order to achieve their own ends. 

It's even part of the lore that one of the Troll factions has left the Horde because the Forsaken going against the Horde leader's commands and using the plague they've been engineering. 'Es right, The Forsaken's presence and actions are now actively contributing to the supposed degradation of the Horde as per Blizzard's lore.

More or less, the only reason the Forsaken are in the Horde is because they hold Lordaeron ruins. The horde want to keep that place from the alliance, because if they took it back that would bolster morale and properly lead in to even greater conflict.

Ain't semantics here. Forsaken have done the most evil things, and are increasing in the amount of things they do as well as the extent they're willing to go.

Which is back to the necessary evil comment.

May not be the full intent of the writers, but as the direction they are taking, they have pushed it more and more obviously to those paying attention to the lore. Which is something I'm, actually annoyed about.

The factions used to be more balanced in that neither were blatantly evil, but it has degraded as the quality and coherency of the lore has degraded, and there is much more obvious points of evil now.

I'm not about to attribute that solely to the numbers on Horde side though. Honestly, their races were at least more novel originally and coming off the RTS games, they seemed more sane and stable too. Too bad that's no longer the case.

Also, doesn't this 'evil is more popular' question get covered rather well by some tropes?

In over 6 years, not a single member of either side has made an effort to create peace between the races. Worse, they wage wars for the sole purpose of medals and shiny equipment from their leaders - both sides, including the 'good guys' on the alliance side, consistently and relentlessly murder the opposing faction solely to accumulate further wealth and prestige for themselves. 

"Actually, Tauren, Orcs, Trolls, and even the new Goblins all lack that 'kill the other races' agenda"

The battlegrounds are filled with nothing but undead and elves?

They're all genocidal maniacs. They all have no interest in peace. IMO, that kinda puts them all in the evil category.

I'm kidding, Deivos. The above was fun to write, though. image  You have some good points and an impressive familiarity with WC lore. From playing WOW when it came out, the quests seemed to lean in the direction of each race being both villain and victim to one degree or another, however the lore seems to consistently paint Horde as the dastardly ones.

Cool info in your post. Thank you!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• aargeht10aargeht10 Member Posts: 7

most of the time, bad guys are always chosen because not only they look cool sometimes but also most of the time. the story revolve with them. take for example the resident evil 5, where the game gives you the feel of looking for the certain guy by going through most rigid places and scenario in the game.

• dylmon36dylmon36 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Because who wants to be good all the time ? That is no fun.

hahaha, i agree!

• ditto101ditto101 Member Posts: 13

well i'm not a kid but i enjoy being a bad guy mostly because well it's fun really  and mostly the choice i mean i am tired of playing the good guy unless its cool as shiz then i am alright with it but mostly it is just really annoying since in most games there is the protect missions and man are they a pain

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Good guy real life!

Scumbag ingame:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

"I might be bad but I feel good"!

Army of darkness

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

srsly, in WoW, Whorde alwyas out number Alliance. DC, more villans than hero's. And we all know everyone is going to roll a Sith in old republic. I don't get it, it scares me. To me this says that if America were invaded by "anyone", they would go with whom ever they see as the bad guy. Am I missing something here? 

Well America has already been invaded by the "bad" guys, just ask the indians.

I have to be "good" in the real world or suffer real consequenses. Why the hell would I want to be good in a video game?

• RollgunnerRollgunner Member UncommonPosts: 61

"Evil men do what good men dream." - Det. Goren

When you play a 'bad guy' in a single-player game , it can be a positive catharsis and an opportunity to act on one's base instincts with no repercussions.

Alas, in multiplayer games there *are* occasionally repercussions... just rarely any for the instigator.

• scabbedangelscabbedangel Member UncommonPosts: 117

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

• TrenkerTrenker Member Posts: 88

When EQ2 PvP was laumched, the good side outnumbered the bad.  Forums at the time blamed it on kiddies going cute but who knows, Perhaps it was just my server.

In Warhammer it is commonly agreed that the devs did a better job on the evil side - graphics and skill wise, so perhaps its the devs fault for making evil so, well, nice.

• RoxetteRoxette Member UncommonPosts: 56

Because there is no good and evil. Only people living the way they live. Good and evil are human creations based on nothing. Good can be evil, evil can be good. 

Played: Guild Wars, AoC, Lotro, CoH, Warhammer, Tabula Ras, Spellborn, Second Life, Rift, Aion, Tera.
    Playing: Guild Wars 2, WoT

• JoonasJoonas Member Posts: 21

"there is no good and evil"

I've yet to see a "good" person say this.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Loke666

"I might be bad but I feel good"!

Army of darkness

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Army of Darkness

"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Spaceballs

"Son of Jor-El, kneeel before Zod!"

Superman II

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

the human race as a whole seeths with evil, masses are murdered, aids is spread casually, millions starve.  all in the name of the mighty dollar.

the good died on crosses long ago, ever since the worlds been nothing but evil.

• MadDetectiveMadDetective Member Posts: 14

It's a game dude, don't take peoples decisions on it literally.

Honestly if you actually apply what you do in video games in real life, then you should quit games because it's not mentally healthy.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Good and evil are just words, what matters is what you do.

If a guy with with a small army takes over a poor country, he'll be seen as a dictator.  If he then improves the poor country and it becomes the equal of one of the European countries, he'll be seen as a beloved leader despite the fact theat he took over a country.

The Jedi believed that they were good, they believed that the Sith would be destroyed and and that balance would be brought to the galaxy.  The sith for the most part were either fighting for survival or revenge.  The only way good can be triumphant is if it oppresses and controls everything, convincing everyone that they are right and everyone else is wrong.  

I'ts also kind of fun to be the bad guy.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

If you cant see the difference between real life and games then you realy have a serieus problem.

I play always free for all full loot mmo's and love to kill other players and loot all there stuff.

But in real life im a pacifist and sing wholeday love and peace with flowers in my hand:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.