Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there hope for this game?

VallistaVallista Member UncommonPosts: 282

I'm hoping there is a real push to bring back this game.  I can't stand these new mmos.  Rift is turning into wow every day.  I just want to go back to a game that had priniciple.  Will daoc ever make it back?

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Mythic is not doing so well these days, so it pains me to say this but I don't see much being changed or upgraded in the game.  Warhammer and the half ass merge with Bioware really messed up Mythic.  Just my opnion of course and stranger things have happened. 

• RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Yes there still hope for this game if Mythic would just start advertising the game. Also if mythic would just pull the plug on Warhammer Online the game is done it was a failed project. Because Mythic didn't stick to their roots. DAOC been around for ten years and is still one the best PVP games around. The only thing this game need is a little love and a lot more advertisement. That's all the hope this game need to be on top again.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

The day this game goes F2P is the day the population goes up, i've seen a couple dead games already get revived just by making it F2P and putting in a cash shop to make up the money difference( not 1 of those overpowering get gear shops, but the regular ones with little perks), one of the big ones that come to mind is LoTRo, the population was going down, then they went free to play and i had no problems everytime i got on to get groups and see tons of people running around in every zone i was in, noobies and high levels alike. Blah, had to edit my post, did a forum noob move and didnt notice the date on the last post, sorry for the necro.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by Ravkeen

Yes there still hope for this game if Mythic would just start advertising the game. Also if mythic would just pull the plug on Warhammer Online the game is done it was a failed project. Because Mythic didn't stick to their roots. DAOC been around for ten years and is still one the best PVP games around. The only thing this game need is a little love and a lot more advertisement. That's all the hope this game need to be on top again.

?

Isn't mythic part of EA which and is also overseen by bioware?

I can't imagine they have any say in advertising or whether they pull the plug on warhammer.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

I could see the F2P model working.  But I completely agree with the OP that this game is a gem.  I wish more people could see it.  Maybe new graphics would spark interest?  But the combination of diverse races and classes in this game are very attractive and the pvp is unmatched.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

I agree with OP as well, i played DAoC from beta up to Catacombs, it is one of my all time favorite games, but population had me looking at newer games and since my DaoC days i have been bouncing around alot of F2P games which are doing really good and would definitely come back if DAoC inplemented it (which i dont really see happening though), matter of fact im downloading the 14 day free trial as i type,  figured i get alittle DAoC fix, even if it is only 14 days worth. Just not alot of people that want to pay 15 dollars a month for games they consider old when they get blasted by advertising of new games with newer looks and sometimes cheaper subs.

• DirktoothDirktooth Member Posts: 33

DAoC is still alive just that the current merging is making everything looks stale. camelotherald.com is still down with old updates and was told that both WAR and DAOC realm status map project got pushed back due to new account and billing system.

I just came back for DAoC, tried WAR and it got worst. Had a very hard time to reach level 15 and PvE is boring. The whole RvR thing works but remaking a toon is no longer the same now.

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

This is the best game i have ever played, but its old, and the need to have a buff bot means you have to pay 30 dollars a month to play it. Some people may say you dont need a bot, but you really do. Trying to bum buffs off others, or fight without buffs just sucks. They added a realm buff npc, but the buffs are not nearly as good as buff enhanced bot buffs, so you need a bot.

They had "classic" servers for a while, which had a range on concentration buffs, and you had to be grouped with the buffer, but there you had to use charges and pots, and juggling all those timers was a pita.

Daoc 2 would be awesome, but probly not gonna ever happen. If only people had made daoc clones instead of WoW clones, mmos would be in a much better place than they are today.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

I just tried this game for the first time last night. And I have to say, I really hated it. Which was really suprising since I love RvR. And had heard such wonderful things about it. But let me explain why I hated it.

1. The worst UI I have yet to experience in any MMO ever. (Seriously, I do mean any.) I had to exit out of the game via Ctrl+Alt+Delete for the first 2 hours of playing, because it took that much digging on the internet to find the damn logout button. And I found you have to press a semi-colon to open a menu so small you can barely see it, let alone read it. And press the bottom right micro button that I guess said quit. Which at first made me tink it was for exiting the menu. Not the game. The game does a HORRIBLE job explaining the most basic thing in the game, the UI.

2. Ancient controls, I had to spend an extra 10-15min redoing the controls to modern usages. And still couldn't tweak them enough to get it just right.

3. I found out of the 12 or so classes I tried, that ranged classes were useless in even pve. Magic is impossible in melee range, and the bow/crossbows did erratic damage, anywhere from tickling the enemy, to one shot kills. But to my suprise you could still shoot someone that was literally wrestling with you. Oh and the 5-10sec it took to shoot a single arrow didn't help either. If your first attack didn't do massive damage, you likely wen't going to win that fight. The game is basically forced melee from what I saw early on.

4. Bad animations, yet very nice spell effects. (For back when it was made.) Which I found odd.

5. I could already feel the massive grind setting in at level 10. And saw it would take WAY too long to get to the fun of pvp. Which is a common problem with bad MMOs these days.

Now granted I only got as far as level 10 with a melee class. (Would ahve deleted the game long before then if I had stuck with magic/ranged.) But I got a good first impression of the game. And saw why it's not that popular anymore. Not sure why it ever was popular really, perhaps it was state of the art graphics wise years and years ago. I wasn't bothered at all by the dated graphics despite it's age, so I'm guessing that must be the case. I'd have loved to try the RvR. But I'm not about to grind through hell for months to get a taste of the only part I'm interested in.

I realize I'm posting this on a thread in the DAOC fanboy (And I don't mean as an insult.) section of the forums, so most will disagree with me and thats fine. But this was my impression of the game.

I would like to ask the fans of this game, why it was you enjoyed the game. Try something other than the RvR aspect though, as I know why people liked that, but the rest of the game is what I hated, so thats what I'd like to know about.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

DAOC is too time-consuming and strategic for the average button-mashing zerg-mindset WoW player to enjoy it.  DAOC simply lacks the instant gratification that many MMO gamers are looking for.  The leveling system is quite a grind, even after they reduced it significantly by putting in all sorts of XP bonuses.  Losing XP on death may be too much for some people to handle.  Then you have to get into a temlpate to be competitive for PvP, which takes hours developing and gathering the items for.  Artifact items just make it that much more time-consuming.  When you finally do get into RvR, you will suck because you are only RR1 while RR10+ people wipe the floor with you.

Don't get me wrong.  I think the game is great.  However, most MMO gamers now won't touch it because it isn't as easy as WoW.  The greatest features of DAOC are just not modern enough for most people.  Warhammer tried to dumb down DAOC's features, but failed because it still wasn't dumbed down enough for WoW gamers and it was too dumbed down for DAOC gamers.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by shawn01

This is the best game i have ever played, but its old, and the need to have a buff bot means you have to pay 30 dollars a month to play it. Some people may say you dont need a bot, but you really do. Trying to bum buffs off others, or fight without buffs just sucks. They added a realm buff npc, but the buffs are not nearly as good as buff enhanced bot buffs, so you need a bot.

They had "classic" servers for a while, which had a range on concentration buffs, and you had to be grouped with the buffer, but there you had to use charges and pots, and juggling all those timers was a pita.

Daoc 2 would be awesome, but probly not gonna ever happen. If only people had made daoc clones instead of WoW clones, mmos would be in a much better place than they are today.

You could always get a friend. I used to play an enhance/cave shammy with my buddy who was a savage. True we didn't have red buffs, but the combo was incredibly successful.

I miss playing on Mordred.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Arenanet just let it slip that their WvWvW in gw2 will be super similar to DAoCs rvr  in case The Open RvR is all you are looking For

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

I dont know why people complain about the UI in this game, seems fine to me. You could have gone to pvp at level 10, in fact bgs start at level 5.

I still think the world graphics are better looking than newer games with their cartoon graphics.

Its not really that much of a grind anymore, you get rested exp and a free level every few days. If you level up in a battle ground or in the frontier you get double exp.

If you can find someone to plev you, you can level up in a few days. A lot of people run TDs and do various other leveling activities.

Ranged attacks get much better when you get some gear, there are some low level quests that are super easy and will give you a full suit of armor with decent stats for a low level. The community is pretty good, especially pve side, if you asked in region, someone would very likely answer any questions you have about the UI or how to get armor etc.

If i didnt need a bot id be playing this game, the pvp is still a blast for me even after 9+ years of playing.

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Why would they pull the plug on WAR? It was doing way better after they introduced the unlimited free trial and now it's doing even better after the new balance patch. If anything, they need to turn DAOC into a f2p or introduce a similar unlimited trial that WAR has.
  • DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

Bring on Doac2. i never really played doac as i could never get into it but i know friends who loved this game and would play again if it was updated/revamp, i too like the game in the way 3 factions and the RvR.

• hengan1hengan1 Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

Why would they pull the plug on WAR? It was doing way better after they introduced the unlimited free trial and now it's doing even better after the new balance patch. If anything, they need to turn DAOC into a f2p or introduce a similar unlimited trial that WAR has.

The same forever free trail that they have on WAR but to lvl 24 on daoc.. Thidranki would be zeeerged to pieces :D

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

I also played DAOC from beta through Catacombs as a Hero. IMO DAOC offered some of the most innovative game-play of any MMO.

I am not the biggest RVR or PVP fan but DAOC's version was so immersive I found myself enjoying this part of the game immensely.

I tried returning some time ago but the graphics are becoming very dated and the low population on my server was difficult.  I would love to see a DAOC 2.

Another great developer that has lost its way.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• LawlieLawlie Member Posts: 49

What made me quit was the whole botting scene, sorry but im not going to pay for a second account just to drag a bot around on my main just so i can be competitive in RvR, what the hell are they thinking? im sure it helps roll in some extra dough but seriously... sure they added realm enhancement npcs in DF and NF but those buffs still suck compared to player buffs..

They also need to bring back old frontiers, theres not enough people playing right now to sustain New frontiers.

I love this game but it just has some serious waking up to do.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

what killed it for me was the bot stuff and the lose of realm pride. there is no more realm pride or anything for that matter. you can know switch realms on the same server wtf is that. that killed it for me. i played DAOC since beta and stoped right when they started letting people switch realms on the same server. i havew been off and on with daoc only comeing back when they offer a come back to DAOC type of trial.

• GhavalGhaval Member UncommonPosts: 49

Originally posted by punkrock

what killed it for me was the bot stuff and the lose of realm pride. there is no more realm pride or anything for that matter. you can know switch realms on the same server wtf is that. that killed it for me. i played DAOC since beta and stoped right when they started letting people switch realms on the same server. i havew been off and on with daoc only comeing back when they offer a come back to DAOC type of trial.

Realm Pride is still there. Not on a large scale like it was before, now it rests in the guilds. As for Botting, I have not really seen that big a problem with the NPC buffs or asking for  buffs in region chat and getting them.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

there is no more realm pride or anything for that matter. you can know switch realms on the same server wtf is that. that killed it for me. i played DAOC since beta and stoped right when they started letting people switch realms on the same server.

Ywain is one big server. If you couldn't switch realms on the same server, you lose 2/3 of the game.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by CasualMaker

there is no more realm pride or anything for that matter. you can know switch realms on the same server wtf is that. that killed it for me. i played DAOC since beta and stoped right when they started letting people switch realms on the same server.

Ywain is one big server. If you couldn't switch realms on the same server, you lose 2/3 of the game.

This wasn't even new when they started clustering, tho at least they had a realm timer at first.

People who really wanted to play another realm on the same server just had an extra account.   Same as the people who were using buff bots.  

What killed it for me was when my classic cluster got rolled into Ywain.   Sure with all the bp's I had I bought my ML's and arti's blah blah but I had already quit that game.. had I wanted to play it.. I wouldn't have been on classic.   Pre-Ywain classic cluster had a higher population than Ywain does.. it was the non classic clusters that had population problems...   In other words it would have been smarter to have a big TOA cluster and Classic.   Obviously they are running Gaheris which at this moment has an entire 48 players logged on... they could have afforded to run two clusters that had 2,000'ish players each.

I don't think you'll see much of anything invested into DAoC.   They had talked of another server .. was it Origins? or something.   Then they put out a FAQ with their intentions.. which quite honestly was the biggest list of bad ideas I'd ever seen.  

I tried the 14 day "comeback trial" out of boredom last week and uninstalled it after about 20 minutes.

Biggest hope would be a second game that captured the good ideas of the first and left out the mistakes.   For that to happen you'd have to see a shift in EA's focus.. to where they would be happy to put out a game with a consistant and solid 300,000 to 500,000 subscribers.    As opposed to the "let's copy this, that and a few other things and we can have 1.5 million subs!!"  

• GhavalGhaval Member UncommonPosts: 49

CLustering has its advantages, and disadvantages. Are people able to realm hop? yes! It does suck but, I have also meet alot of great people cause of it.

Alot of people play the realm they prefer cause they were on a cluster that was almost dead. So they re rolled new chars on a different cluster on a different realm. So when Ywain happened they got to go back to playing their favored classes. SO it was good there.

Cheaters were alway there. They just had to pay 15 more a month to do it. In essence it was the same thing. So no need QQing about that nothing changed there.

However, the game is still fun if you enjoy playing with other people. If all you are doing is trying it thinking it is the same game from 5 years ago then you will be disappointed. Everything changes with time.

• cricket4002cricket4002 Member UncommonPosts: 16

i think daoc could make a comeback, once i get enough money for internet and my accounts back ill be joining again. my brother and his friend and one of my friends are gonna join i talked it up  enough to them  :P  i hope we can help get it going again and its not completely dead anyway a couple thousand still play... we shall see