Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving a trial go will buy if as good as everyone says

2»

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Tallyn

No matter where you start though I highly encourage you to find a friendly guild like Safe Haven or Unity (Telon server) as soon as you enter the "real world" in VG. They are both very newbie friendly and support all playstyles.

*makes notes* I think I may fire up Vanguard again. If nothing else, the diplomacy will keep me amused for a couple hours a week.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ArnuphisArnuphis Member Posts: 103

I'm having a great time in VG. The guild 'Twighlyte Song' are very active and helpful, especially for new/lower level players. You may want to check them out.

I would second the notion of starting on Isle of Dawn to get the nice gear and then heading to your racial start area to do the quests there. The lore is very interesting and a lot of work went into making the areas very different and unique (are you reading this Trion?). 

There is so much to do in game that I don't worry about the bigger picture yet. Just play it and enjoy it. 

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

I'm still in the trial, but after some playing and crafting/harvesting I've decided to go ahead and buy the game for ten bucks and 30 more days.  This game has some bugs, minor though and not game breaking for me.  Yeah, rain would be nice . . .  I love rain . . . I like how this game is more difficult than others I have played without losing familiarity.  I've tried so many games in last few months, and visited a lot of old ones except EQ original.  (probably soon though)  I think I'm getting a good handle on the genre by now and a good idea of which companies I want to do business with.  (I in no way hate SOE, although they are strictly a business and not a creative playground with business goals.  Square Enix is awful.  Won't touch a game by them ever again.)  

So, ill play Vanguard for a while for it's more grown up features, and interesting environment.  I'm just adding my own plot twists, like a horrible plague has wiped out most of the world's population, especially other players, and some cities lay empty and barren due to this horrible plauge unleashed by hobgoblin stonecallers.  What's left is a vast, open world and my character attempting to harvest, craft, and rebuild a tiny society.  (haha)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Good to hear you're giving it a shot.  It really is a fun game,  very detailed.  I'm considering coming back for a bit myself.. I really liked the races and some of the classes quite a bit.  

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

There is rain in the game unfortunatley it does not work with the windows 7 os.. you will only see it in XP for the most part.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I brought this game when it first came out and liked aspects of it but was put off by its terrible launch . I think theres been a few welcome back offers since but I've always missed them . I did speak to a friend of mine in lotro that had been playing and enjoying it . He said the greatest problems now facing the game were the relative lack of players to other games and very little new development . This has led me to the conclusion that I would play it if it were ever to go free to play like lotro but not other wise .

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

I figure 30 free days for ten bucks isn't a bad deal for a game I'm enjoying.  I can cancel at end of 30 days if I want, or continue.  I agree that 15 bucks a month for a game with no staff is not cool, but I guage my gaming investments against my level of fun and time spent anyway.  I don't think this game will go free to play unless subs show a tangible increase to warrant interest.  I would imagine free to play would cost a budget for the format and manpower.  So Im going to get into this game without any pretenses or hope.  It is what it is, and soon new games will be out, or ill be dead, or 2012 apocalypse will reign hell fire down upon the masses and the student loan people will finally stop calling me.