Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The budget used for the creation lineage 2

Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 406

How much was the budget that ncsoft spent on the creation of lineage 2?



How much budget did they have to make it?

since the graphics are quite realistic and gigantic i would like to know how easy it was

 

How much time did it took them fomr the begging of productions?

Comments

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,200

    I can't comment on the budget but the game took about 3 or 4 years to make.

    Keep in mind there were things that weren't in the game when launched such as sieges or the flying dragons/land dragon mounts.

    Also there were some odd bugs, no swimming (or drowning) no damage when falling.

    Another thing to keep in mind is the game has had some graphcial upgrades since the beginning.

  • Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 406

    Originally posted by Sovrath

    I can't comment on the budget but the game took about 3 or 4 years to make.

    Keep in mind there were things that weren't in the game when launched such as sieges or the flying dragons/land dragon mounts.

    Also there were some odd bugs, no swimming (or drowning) no damage when falling.

    Another thing to keep in mind is the game has had some graphcial upgrades since the beginning.

    Hmm ye i expected that many things wouldnt be there but i didnt expect sieges were added since its a very important part of l2

     

    About the graphical upgrades, i ve seen that they used unreal engine but it says in the game unreal engine 2,5

    Was unreal engine 2 graphics just like when u reduce detail option at game options? And the full detail is 2,5?

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,200

    Originally posted by Wolfy2449

    Originally posted by Sovrath

    I can't comment on the budget but the game took about 3 or 4 years to make.

    Keep in mind there were things that weren't in the game when launched such as sieges or the flying dragons/land dragon mounts.

    Also there were some odd bugs, no swimming (or drowning) no damage when falling.

    Another thing to keep in mind is the game has had some graphcial upgrades since the beginning.

    Hmm ye i expected that many things wouldnt be there but i didnt expect sieges were added since its a very important part of l2

     

    About the graphical upgrades, i ve seen that they used unreal engine but it says in the game unreal engine 2,5

    Was unreal engine 2 graphics just like when u reduce detail option at game options? And the full detail is 2,5?

    The game launched with Prelude which didn't have sieges. Then a few months later they added them.

    I can't comment on the engine. I can tell you that things like glow effects or HDR lighting was added later.

  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

    L2 was not a cheap game to make. Some of L2 was rather extravagant such as using a real orchistra to record hours and hours worth of music. Over 100 people were working on L2 at the hight of its' production. Even if they were all paid low Korean wages it still isn't going to be cheap. My best guess is L2 was a $50 million game in 2002-2003 money when most of the work was done. In 2011 money that would be $80 million or more.

     

    Overall it was money well spent since L2 went on to be the biggest pre-WoW MMO with 2 million Asian based subs it just missed the mark in the West because the huge grindfest was unpopular.

  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

    Unreal Engine 2.5 was a rewritten version of Unreal Engine 2. It's architecture, networking layer, physics, cross-platform compatibility, and some graphical enhancements was improved, but not different enough from the original engine to make it a 'next step, in the engine lineup.

     

    The L2 team still wrote their own code for the networking layer in the implementation of the engine though.

    "The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

    Originally posted by Novusod

    L2 was not a cheap game to make. Some of L2 was rather extravagant such as using a real orchistra to record hours and hours worth of music. Over 100 people were working on L2 at the hight of its' production. Even if they were all paid low Korean wages it still isn't going to be cheap. My best guess is L2 was a $50 million game in 2002-2003 money when most of the work was done. In 2011 money that would be $80 million or more.

     

    Overall it was money well spent since L2 went on to be the biggest pre-WoW MMO with 2 million Asian based subs it just missed the mark in the West because the huge grindfest was unpopular.

    Not to mention L1 and L2 are still as from last year revenues the biggest for NCSoft, with AION ofc still growing.

    image

  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

    L2 most certainly had one of the biggest budget of his time, because it was supported by the lineage founds. It took them very short time to make it actually, first because they basically took the lineage design, slaped a bought engine, and the launched game was the very core of a game, it wasn't a game per say. It was really the most naked mmo you could ever think of, and it was the philosophy of NC when they made it, they wanted to make a very small but strong core of a mmo they could develop for many yeasr after, and that is exaclty what they did. The game was runing so well when it launched i remember i could use a 10year old comp to play it at beta,it was just amazing performance wize. But the game really had nothing at all, for exemple the magic mobs wouldn't even cast spell, and everything was "naked" like this, it was just a basic fightitng system in a seamless map, thats all. I think it took them between 3 to 5 years, but i think 3 is closer to the reality. For the record lineage was made around 98, l2 was launched in 2003; and i think but i don't work for NC so take it as you want, i think they began talking seriously about l2 in 2000, so thats 3 years.

     

    In anycase thier design failed mainly because a mmo can't be launched as a game core, thats not what mmo is about, mmos must be fully and rich world, not a stupid combat system, thats why the game was so dump, and why now devs try to make a bit more for their top mmo. It was a good try taught.

  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

    Originally posted by Requiamer

    L2 most certainly had one of the biggest budget of his time, because it was supported by the lineage founds. It took them very short time to make it actually, first because they basically took the lineage design, slaped a bought engine, and the launched game was the very core of a game, it wasn't a game per say. It was really the most naked mmo you could ever think of, and it was the philosophy of NC when they made it, they wanted to make a very small but strong core of a mmo they could develop for many yeasr after, and that is exaclty what they did. The game was runing so well when it launched i remember i could use a 10year old comp to play it at beta,it was just amazing performance wize. But the game really had nothing at all, for exemple the magic mobs wouldn't even cast spell, and everything was "naked" like this, it was just a basic fightitng system in a seamless map, thats all. I think it took them between 3 to 5 years, but i think 3 is closer to the reality. For the record lineage was made around 98, l2 was launched in 2003; and i think but i don't work for NC so take it as you want, i think they began talking seriously about l2 in 2000, so thats 3 years.

     

    In anycase thier design failed mainly because a mmo can't be launched as a game core, thats not what mmo is about, mmos must be fully and rich world, not a stupid combat system, thats why the game was so dump, and why now devs try to make a bit more for their top mmo. It was a good try taught.

    How do you explain that L1 and L2 still provide the biggest revenue for NC? I dont think it failed, maybe it failed in NA/EU not in Asia tho still big and strong, new developers would dream their MMO had this sort of revenue, LOTRO, EQ2 etc.. all going F2P cause they just dont make enough money, yet they are this wonderful finished and fulfilling game :P

    image

  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,299

    Originally posted by Requiamer

    L2 most certainly had one of the biggest budget of his time, because it was supported by the lineage founds. It took them very short time to make it actually, first because they basically took the lineage design, slaped a bought engine, and the launched game was the very core of a game, it wasn't a game per say. It was really the most naked mmo you could ever think of, and it was the philosophy of NC when they made it, they wanted to make a very small but strong core of a mmo they could develop for many yeasr after, and that is exaclty what they did. The game was runing so well when it launched i remember i could use a 10year old comp to play it at beta,it was just amazing performance wize. But the game really had nothing at all, for exemple the magic mobs wouldn't even cast spell, and everything was "naked" like this, it was just a basic fightitng system in a seamless map, thats all. I think it took them between 3 to 5 years, but i think 3 is closer to the reality. For the record lineage was made around 98, l2 was launched in 2003; and i think but i don't work for NC so take it as you want, i think they began talking seriously about l2 in 2000, so thats 3 years.

     

    In anycase thier design failed mainly because a mmo can't be launched as a game core, thats not what mmo is about, mmos must be fully and rich world, not a stupid combat system, thats why the game was so dump, and why now devs try to make a bit more for their top mmo. It was a good try taught.

    Failed? 2 million subs is not a fail.



  • myndziussmyndziuss Member UncommonPosts: 26

    I feel sad when i see how many lineage 2 lovers play on ''private servers''  :/ and how much more money they could make if they would all pay a subscription :P

    image

Sign In or Register to comment.