Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Costume tabs? Examples as in LOTRO and DCUO

jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

Hi all got a quick question for ppl playing the beta.  I notice the collectors edition is coming with a rune attachment that gives a blowing aura around the weapon.  That got me into thinking, does this game have a costume tab like in LOTRO or DCUO where you can basically look the way you want and have stats from other items.  It would kinda blow if you get a rune to attach for the glow effect then find out later when you upgrade weapons that you lose that.  Any input would be great.

Thank you

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It is not single use, and if you dual-wield you can apply to both.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241

Nope, but it would be nice

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

Okay thank so what I gather is the rune/stone is unlimited use which is nice, but no costume tabs as of yet ;/  Kinda bums me out cause after playing a few games with them it really is a nice touch in gaming.  Well this basically means I'll look like every other mage around my level ;/  Oh well thank you guys for the replies

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

While i think the DCUO system was pure genious, something like the LOTRO system would be nice to be added in an update.

Personally i am also hoping for different armor weapon setups for every role...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would be shocked and amazed if they didn't have a gear manager at some point.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I love Aion's system.  Its limited enough not to cause any of the issues people worry about, while allowing plenty of room to look how you want.  I hate being forced to look a certain way, just for the stats.  I hate that WoW doesn't have anything like that, so most MMOs don't consider it important.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by jugularvein

Okay thank so what I gather is the rune/stone is unlimited use which is nice, but no costume tabs as of yet ;/  Kinda bums me out cause after playing a few games with them it really is a nice touch in gaming.  Well this basically means I'll look like every other mage around my level ;/  Oh well thank you guys for the replies

There are dyes.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

does Rift even HAVE costumes, really?  I could have missed them, but I don't recall any clothing options.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by VirusDancer

There are dyes.

Actually you can add primary and seccondary colors to every piece of gear... some orriginall colors can't be changed tough as the gear commonly has more then 2 colors..

It works great for me.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Ty all for the replies.  I do agree and also admit that I am a bit spoiled now when it comes to the costume pieces/gear.  After playing DCUO, it just felt that it should be a staple in every game.  Im sure they will prob roll out something in the future, but its still such a nice added touch when at the beginning and endgame you can look the way you want.  Ive played to many games that have you looking like everyone else except they have different colors.  The dyes are nice but actually costume gear is so much better.

Thanks

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I agree with you. This is one recent innovation to MMOs that I would like to see every MMO allow. There really is zero excuse not to. Either skinnning, as in Aion, or the Costume tab as you mention. Let players look how they want to look. Some players will want to show of their Uber Gear, just because it's Uber, even if it looks fugly as heck. Others don't care if their outfit is an ensemble of gear much below their level, the look is more important. (Of course, with MMOs being gear stat dependant, completely sacrificing stats for looks is out of the question, which is why the discussed feature is so important).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• allinanallinan Member Posts: 79

My wife is excited to play Rift for many reasons, one being 'bringing sexy back' for her avatar.  This would be a good topic for Trion to pay attention to if they plan on attracting the mass market.  I'm not saying everyone is 'appearance' conscious, but is a point not to overlook.  Thanks for starting this post and have you thought about carrying it over to the Rift forums?

Hey your welcome ;) Didnt think a post I wrote would get thanked for bringing a topic up but I appreciate that.  Honestly it is true though when it comes to customizing your character.  Thats what sold me to DCUO, I played the beta and thought it was a pretty decent game, but just having my sorcerer character look like he was in full plate(so to speak) sold me.  Plus its a neat idea when it comes to pvp.  I dont know how many times I've PvPed in Aion or DCUO where you kinda had to feel the other persons out because you couldnt tell what class/spells they had.  Kinda adds that element of suprise when you see a tank wearing hoods and robes or mages fully plated up looking like paladins.  Also its just fun to see what ppl come up with ;)

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    " Yo! Guys, you go over there and fight off that menacing fire rift. Ill be right with you, almost done slipping on my ballerina costume."

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Well without the costume tab is going to be a wheres waldo with the mages and other classes ;)  Im sure I'll be in there too only prob is finding the right me ;) ;)  Ill try not to wear the hat or a shoe just like the good ole waldo books ;)

•  

Agreed. LOTRO was my first MMO and I find it hard to understand why Rift doesn't have an appearance tab.

I guess I'm assuming that it will be added in soonish. Any word from Trion on this?

If a person is wearing X gear, then X gear should display.  It should not be hidden behind Y appearance.  If there is an option to customize the way X gear looks, that is one thing - actually, I believe that would be a nifty thing.  Dyes, "accessories", etc - would allow for a better customization of appearance.

As for having outfit slots, something that can be changed out of combat but allowing for quick changes of what gear a person is wearing - that is pretty helpful instead of having to go through and equip each piece.

But if you are wearing X, you are wearing X.  If you can wear Y "over" X, then that too is fine - but if you are wearing Full Plate - you should not have the appearance of wearing a tank top and gym shorts...

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

For those interested, someone on the official forum gathered screenshots of every available armor they could. It looks like there is a total of 12 armor models per class at level 50, including the expert raid and pvp gear. Each class is limited to its own type of armor.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?63048-Armor-Model-Pics-from-B6!

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

There is an appearance tab similar to LOTRO's on the table to be developed as well as a gear manager. It's a bit silly that these features aren't already in the game (especially the gear manager considering you can have four different specs) but rest assured they'll be in at some point soon.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

Those types of things don't usually ever exist in a p2p MMO until after launch. But they are working twords adding not only appearance slots but many more ways to customize your character physically and change it post-creation.

• DomiagoDomiago Member UncommonPosts: 37

A costume tab is an easy add and will likey make it into the game eventually if not sooner. Look for it being implimented probably with 3 months post launch.

• JosephProsekJosephProsek Member UncommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by Domiago

A costume tab is an easy add and will likey make it into the game eventually if not sooner. Look for it being implimented probably with 3 months post launch.

I really hope so. This is one feature i truely love and it really helps set you apart from others. Specially once all thats is left to get is endgame gear and everyone looks alike.

• DomiagoDomiago Member UncommonPosts: 37

Originally posted by JosephProsek

I really hope so. This is one feature i truely love and it really helps set you apart from others. Specially once all thats is left to get is endgame gear and everyone looks alike.

FYI the gear is dyeable with at least a primary and secondary level. Epic gear may have an additional level or two I don't know for sure as I never got any to try. Nevertheless, an appearance tab could still add some depth to the overall look of our characters.

• JosephProsekJosephProsek Member UncommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by JosephProsek

FYI the gear is dyeable with at least a primary and secondary level. Epic gear may have an additional level or two I don't know for sure as I never got any to try. Nevertheless, an appearance tab could still add some depth to the overall look of our characters.

If all they give is is dye i have to admit ill be happy with that. Its way better than nothing at all. An actual appearance tab of some kind would be o so sweet though. The more depth the better.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

EQ2 has also had an appearance tab for a long time now.

Scott Hartsman mentioned in an interview that it was "on the list" of features they were working on for rift.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright