Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could fix WoW...

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Originally posted by ironfungus

- I would remove mod support all together (though overhaul the current user interface).

- I would remove PvP gear entirely, along with Arenas and Battlegrounds. If you want PvP, then go out into the world and start killing. You deserve no other reward for PvP than the satisfaction of being the best killer on the server.

- I would permanently ban stupid people who violate the Terms of Service on a "three strikes" policy. 

- I would design / nerf content to meet the needs of the common gear set. Gear should not determine whether or not you are ready for a raid, but your skill alone. The only purpose gear should have is aesthetic, like in Guild Wars. 

- I would write a better storyline. 

- I would make it impossible to solo to the maximum level. Groups would be required to do anything. Having required groups would improve the community dramatically, and by the time people hit the maximum level (which would be an achievement in itself), they would fully know how to operate inside a group so the end-game crowd wouldn't have to deal with their stupidity. 

- Every single mount in the game would go the same speed (100% of normal movement), and effects that make this faster would be removed like Crusader Aura for Paladin. Flying mounts would be removed, as they only make the world smaller and take away the risks of PvP. You'd also be able to purchase a mount at level 1 if you had the money for it, as well as training. 

- Crafting would have access to the best weapons and armor, bar none. It would be extremely hard to raise, but rewarding. The current crafting system is absolutely unacceptable.

And boom, WoW is fixed. But Activision sure likes their money, so this will never happen.

Amen, brother.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by elocke

It's not a matter of fixing WoW its a matter of adding depth to a very shallow game.  I would add alternate advancement mechanics other than talent trees, housing, collections, more class distinction and quests based on class.  World drops that affect each class like how Vanguard does it with having class spells only gotten by running certain dungeons or killing certain mobs at certain times of day, more classes(like bards or monks), basically just growing the game wider and deeper rather than just higher.

Most intelligent post in this entire thread!

• VaenVaen Member Posts: 140

Above all else I would most definitely remove the dungeon finder tool. It's the single most community destroying aspect of the game, and turns people into impatient pricks hungering for badges and other quick rewards. I played on RP servers, so I didn't want to group up with people from PvP servers. Another reason I didn't like it. Thirdly it took away a lot of travelling.

There's a lot more, but all I would do is just revert things back to TBC era, get rid of flying mounts completely and add Northrend with more difficult raiding content and lower gear scaling. Also revert all the low level dungeon nerfs and remove heirlooms. All I would do is removing and reverting, pretty much, and playing with some values...

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

How 'I" would 'fix' WoW:

1.  Stop watering down character classes.  It seems like the things that really helped make classes stand apart from one another have been distributed to several different classes.  It's just bastardization and blurring of the lines.  Each class continues to lose it's flavor, the unique qualities that it had... blah.

2.  More races.  4 new races in 6+ years... wtb more, please.

3.  More classes?  Maybe...

4.  Make character classes 'deeper'. Reinforce the things that really make them 'different' from one another.  Celebrate those things, don't water them down, hide them, and... well, see item 1.

5.  Change the character model artwork.  K, druids got new cat/bear/tree models... um, what about everyone else? 

6.  More character customization options.  During both character creation AND character development.  Sliders for height, weight, features, etc.,..

7.  Item customization - dye kits, etc.,.. Tired of looking like the other 11,999,999 people when I hit 85.

8.  Give me the option to roll a character on a 'mature' server.  Yes, I'll pay to do so.

9.  Better travel between expansion zones.  Now that portals are gone, going back to the old zones is a pain in the arse.  I hate it.  (yes, hate)

I'd start with those 9 and go from there.

• glim3merglim3mer Member UncommonPosts: 154

The fundamental problem with WoW is it's gear progression system. The entire game is based on this shallow concept "aquiring gear". Everything you do, quest-raid-pvp-arena all revolve around getting better gear. However, the pitful is that, ONCE you get the best gear in any sphere (pvp or raid), that's it, theres no longer any point.... until new gear becomes available. And that is what kills WoW.

If only there was some type of incentive other then "getting gear in order to get more gear", for after you have gotten the best gear to do. But there isn't. The game ends when you have the best gear. Instead of begining, it ends. You work your @ss off for all that gear and once you have it, there is nothing to do. Atleast in vanilla you would get all the raid gear, then you would atleast kick @ss in pvp with it. Now, raid gear is useless in pvp....

So what Im saying is, you cant fix WoW. Wow is based on a very shallow concept and there isn't much you can do to improve it. It is what it is. The only thing this game has going for itself, is that the idea of getting gear is sort of addictive, hence why you have people doing the same dungeons over and over and over, well past the point of enjoying the story. 

Additionally to fix WoW you need to refine the LFG tool. This tool puts together people based on level and gear score. But it doesnt factor in player experience, so you have whats called "carrying people". Its very unpleasent and it always leads to a shitty game experience, hence why so many people find the community found in the dungeons put together by the tool to be bottom of the barrel, scum of the earth..... How to refine it? Make it non-cross realm for one.

But I personally do not think WoW is fixable simply because its based on a very shallow system called the gear grind.

• praguespragues Member Posts: 161

You can't fix the boredom of spoiled players.

Try it: have the best lobster meal in the world and eat it for 5 years in a row.

The worst thing you could do is change the restaurant and order ... lobster.

I needed a speed boost for my belt. I went back to The Howling Fjords in Northrend to mine me some cobalt ore. The moment I entered the Howling Fjords again I stood in awe. It had been almost 3 months since I left Northrend ... only in those moments you see how quickly people get spoiled.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by pragues

Try it: have the best lobster meal in the world and eat it for 5 years in a row.

I needed a speed boost for my belt. I went back to The Howling Fjords in Northrend to mine me some cobalt ore. The moment I entered the Howling Fjords again I stood in awe. It had been almost 3 months since I left Northrend ... only in those moments you see how quickly people get spoiled.

Bored and spoiled? I don't think so, not in my case.

Burnt out due to game mechanics, yes. I can appreciate WoW for the game it is, but it's not perfect by any means, nor my favorite. It's good for a two-month foray then I'm back in either EVE, EQ2, or DAoC.

The pace of the quests are too fast  and there are too many of them. I have no desire to do the normal max level stuff, but unfortunately, there are only so many things to do to "stop and smell the roses" along the way.

Unfortunately, I agree with the guy who said that WoW is well-done but incredibly shallow.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Originally posted by MurlockDance

Bored and spoiled? I don't think so, not in my case.

Burnt out due to game mechanics, yes. I can appreciate WoW for the game it is, but it's not perfect by any means, nor my favorite. It's good for a two-month foray then I'm back in either EVE, EQ2, or DAoC.

The pace of the quests are too fast  and there are too many of them. I have no desire to do the normal max level stuff, but unfortunately, there are only so many things to do to "stop and smell the roses" along the way.

Unfortunately, I agree with the guy who said that WoW is well-done but incredibly shallow.

I did a search on the web, you can find these kind of posts since 2005 about WOW. By the thousands.

Unfortunately people will never be pleased - no matter what - and I always wondered, who says they are even players. Citing 3 other games with 30 to 100 times less players shows the trolling nature of such posts.

Plenty of tools for the players that want to "stop and smell the roses" in every inch of the game these days. I am not going to explain them to a guy who is not even interested.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

WoW does what it's supposed to. now if I was making a NEW MMO, well, different story. Pounding square pegs into round holes all day doesn't sound fun.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by Joshua69

Greens and Blues should no longer be BoE and crafted Armor stats much MUCH better than rnadom drops - also not BoE.

I would stop trying to make every class so friggen "balanced" at all aspects, CC, Dmg, Healing. Each class would be played for a specific reason.

U hit the spot

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I would bring back the world pvp. Blizzard created one of the most beautiful worlds ever created. Instead of creating the 'ultimate' pvp experience, they made battlegrounds..

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

FIxing implies that there is something inherently wrong with the game. You fix a problem. I think what you meant is change?

I don't think I will change anything. Nothing Blizzard can do will make the game more enjoyable for me. I have played it for too long, know almost everything about it, have 10 alts. There is simply nothing that can spice up the game for me. This is what a lot of people fail to realise. Nothing last forever. Period.

It's also hilarious reading all these comments about separating teenagers from the rest of the population. I think all of you are very immature and I would rather YOU be the ones moved and isolated to some remote server. As soon as I spot the word kids in a post, I get exactly how mature the poster is. You might be 30,40,50 or ready to hop in the coffin but you are still being childish. It's actually sad to see 40-50+ olds playing games like MMOs. See students at least have lots of spare time. What about you? Unemployed? No social life?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

I did a search on the web, you can find these kind of posts since 2005 about WOW. By the thousands.

Unfortunately people will never be pleased - no matter what - and I always wondered, who says they are even players. Citing 3 other games with 30 to 100 times less players shows the trolling nature of such posts.

Plenty of tools for the players that want to "stop and smell the roses" in every inch of the game these days. I am not going to explain them to a guy who is not even interested.

I guess you missed the part about my appreciating WoW for what it is, yet I'm a troll?? You have a weird definition of troll.

I've put in 3 years into WoW, starting from 2004, which is not exactly a small amount of time. 3 years invested in a game does not mean I hate it.

Sure it hasn't been all at once, but I like to do different things in my games and at the moment, WoW does not offer a sandbox or RvR experience.

I guess you missed the part about my appreciating WoW for what it is, yet I'm a troll?? You have a weird definition of troll.

I've put in 3 years into WoW, starting from 2004, which is not exactly a small amount of time. 3 years invested in a game does not mean I hate it.

Sure it hasn't been all at once, but I like to do different things in my games and at the moment, WoW does not offer a sandbox or RvR experience.

I apologize. But my theory stands: people played WOW and want something Blizzard simply can't and will never deliver: their personal best MMO for the next 200 years.

Coming to think of it, if most were in command at Blizard HQ's, I don't think they could add more things without disturbing too much. PvP may never destroy the PVE fun, 100 dungeons were relaunched by a cross server tool, Bg's can now be played every 5 levels, those wanting small RvR can go to Tol Barad. I say small because RVR can't destroy the pleasure of others etc...If you level too fast, you simply shut down exp. If you hate quests, you level by other means. If you find it too hard in the end game, play the normal content etc etc ...

To talk about fixing a game with 50 times to 100 times more revenue in this branche is quite proof of something called "you can't please every person on earth".

It is already a miracle one game could have had 60%-70% of the subs paid market in both hands for 6.5 years now.

Fixing ? to make what 90% market share? Even now most people simply hate it because it is "the" thing.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

Simply change all skill effects and cd by target  so they work differently pvp / pve

-there you go, magically fixed balance, no need to thank me

Pi*1337/100 = 42

I apologize. But my theory stands: people played WOW and want something Blizzard simply can't and will never deliver: their personal best MMO for the next 200 years.

Coming to think of it, if most were in command at Blizard HQ's, I don't think they could add more things without disturbing too much. PvP may never destroy the PVE fun, 100 dungeons were relaunched by a cross server tool, Bg's can now be played every 5 levels, those wanting small RvR can go to Tol Barad. I say small because RVR can't destroy the pleasure of others etc...If you level too fast, you simply shut down exp. If you hate quests, you level by other means. If you find it too hard in the end game, play the normal content etc etc ...

To talk about fixing a game with 50 times to 100 times more revenue in this branche is quite proof of something called "you can't please every person on earth".

It is already a miracle one game could have had 60%-70% of the subs paid market in both hands for 6.5 years now.

Fixing ? to make what 90% market share? Even now most people simply hate it because it is "the" thing.

Thank you for that Pragues. I appreciate it.

I do see your point that people are difficult to satisfy. WoW is no doubt a good game overall. It's not my personal favorite, it's not 100% my cup of tea, but it's pretty close, around 70% of the way there. Its polish and the overall game world are the best in the industry overall. So much effort was put into making the areas live. I mean, how else can you explain putting a sad giant teddy bear in an ogre's hut? Or how each graveyard looks a certain way, based on the "culture" of the city nearest to it. I haven't come across any other MMO that is as detailed in that way.

But the problem for me is that the immense detail they put into make the world the way it is was not put in other mechanics of gameplay. I don't really want to go through why here.

How does one shut of xp? I thought that couldn't be done?

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

There is nothing I would change with WoW itself, because the problem isnt' with the game but with the company behind it at this point in time. Here is the only thing that needs to happen to fix WoW....fire every developer in Blizzard who lost the passion to create a game that players enjoy playing, the ones who fell into the day to day job for the paycheck, the ones who let WoW go from a game that was enjoyable to play to a cash cow. Because thats all WoW is to Blizzard anymore, a tool to make money. Yes I know some will say thats all it ever was, and yes for the corporate executives your absolutely right. But at one point in time they had some creative minds down in the pit that actually tried to put the passion into the game design. Those people are gone now. They have either quit, got fired, or got lazy enjoyng thier Mercedes and tee times. Wow will be fixed only when they get someoneback in the pit that wants to make it enjoyable again for the players. Until then we will see nothing more than what we just got.

How does one shut of xp? I thought that couldn't be done?

There is an NPC rogue hiding between the Battle Masters in both Ogrimmar and Stormwind. You can kill Exp by paying 10G to him. To regain Exp you repay 10G etc... Attention, you can't enter BG's when your exp is shut, to avoid twinking in the leveling BG's. But all the rest stays the same. People do it to assemble set tier 1, 2,3 gear or gettting pvp/pve achievements at low levels.

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

I don't know about "fixing" WoW, but if I could have a hand in it, I would throw world pvpers a bone with something actually meaningful.

I was pretty heartbroken when I realized Southshore was gone, and Tarren Mill still stood tall. Lots of great pvp memories there.

Not to say I am asking for the game to bend itself to the pvper, but I do think a game so successful should be willing to invest a little in real world pvp. It's not like they'll lose subs from it.

PvE/BGs/WorldPvP can all live together happily, but I sincerely doubt Kotick would spend any money on something they don't need to maintain all those subs.

How would I do it? I'm not sure, really- I've been missing the world pvp for years, so all my thoughts and dreams are stuck way back when.

Let me try to think of a couple:

-intelligently designed fortresses that are cappable by guilds, and take every classes abilities into consideration

• rogues would need to stealth and disarm traps, open gates, weaken the ranks from the inside

• hunters/warlocks would have to use their innate ability to hit stuff hard from afar

• warriors and pallies would hit the gate hard

• shamans and mages would run around weakening magic wards protecting the fortress

-World bosses with great loot, and both factions get a notification the boss is up in the world and where it was spotted.

-Remove resilience and have gear just be gear, so anyone can decide to join in and still have fun efficiently.

-Add some glory, factional pride, and personal honor into it. Make it meaningful to lose something to the other faction.

Just stupid stuff like that. These probably aren't the best examples, but something among these lines.

I guess aside from PvP, I may focus attention on bringing the particular faction on a server together, instead of the e-peen toting, one-upsmanship sporting fiasco it is now. I don't mind people having a great time and joking around, but it seems like there are just a lot of genuine dicks these days.

Anyhow, those are my quick thoughts- subject to change and completely biased toward my own needs.

There is an NPC rogue hiding between the Battle Masters in both Ogrimmar and Stormwind. You can kill Exp by paying 10G to him. To regain Exp you repay 10G etc... Attention, you can't enter BG's when your exp is shut, to avoid twinking in the leveling BG's. But all the rest stays the same. People do it to assemble set tier 1, 2,3 gear or gettting pvp/pve achievements at low levels.

Ah wow, didn't realize that's what that NPC did. I saw him but never spoke to him. I asked this question in trade a couple times and people always told me to just go back to the area in question when everything is grey, voila, problem solved. Thanks for that Pragues.

• RendRegenRendRegen Member Posts: 158

i think animation and feel of the game beats all other mmos (until gw2 and swtor are out, then wow gets beat in this department), so i think this is something they should focus on even more.

secondly the most important thing is interesting content, like dungeons. when they are braindead and require no thought the game feels like boring assembly line work rather than being fun and interesting. i think this is what they need to work on. making the 5-man normals and heroics a lot harder so people have fun in them. nowadays people just do them for marks and not for fun.

• libranimlibranim Member Posts: 139

They won't bring back vanilla wow servers, it's not a matter of code, but rather the playerbase today.

Rose-colored folks who enjoyed vanilla wow have an alternative of private servers if that is what you truly wish. I can't name them but I will say that my experiencee there had not been what I thought I wanted.

WoW has gotten stale, you played it too long, don't expect OLD content to be able to 'fix' what is already broken in your mind.

My suggestion is to lay off MMOs for awhile, wait for something that grabs you like it did when you first started up an MMO.

I kid, since you won't feel the same way ever again.

There are a huge amount of new MMOs that will be released, and many of are in line waiting, get in that line. 

Maybe one of them will provide you with fun, since that is what game is for ultimately (for me).

Maybe bitterness will be replaced by thinking.

I don't know, I'm kind of optimistic.

• AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91

Originally posted by elocke

It's not a matter of fixing WoW its a matter of adding depth to a very shallow game.  I would add alternate advancement mechanics other than talent trees, housing, collections, more class distinction and quests based on class.  World drops that affect each class like how Vanguard does it with having class spells only gotten by running certain dungeons or killing certain mobs at certain times of day, more classes(like bards or monks), basically just growing the game wider and deeper rather than just higher.

that games called Dark Age of Camelot.......

Originally posted by libranim

They won't bring back vanilla wow servers, it's not a matter of code, but rather the playerbase today.

Rose-colored folks who enjoyed vanilla wow have an alternative of private servers if that is what you truly wish. I can't name them but I will say that my experiencee there had not been what I thought I wanted.

WoW has gotten stale, you played it too long, don't expect OLD content to be able to 'fix' what is already broken in your mind.

My suggestion is to lay off MMOs for awhile, wait for something that grabs you like it did when you first started up an MMO.

I kid, since you won't feel the same way ever again.

There are a huge amount of new MMOs that will be released, and many of are in line waiting, get in that line. 

Maybe one of them will provide you with fun, since that is what game is for ultimately (for me).

Maybe bitterness will be replaced by thinking.

I don't know, I'm kind of optimistic.

I'm not sure if I fit the rose-colored folk category (being more olive-colored), but I really did enjoy the original WoW areas better. It was there for us to play until Cataclysm. Yes, in WotLK, they added heirloom items and more lower level blues, etc. that changed how the first areas were played, but the thing is you could opt to play it as if it were Vanilla WoW up until level 60.

The original WoW areas had no major, glaring issues in my point of view. There were a few little, niggling things, like once TBC was released, the quest rewards in the new starting zones were better so that it made the original starting areas less appealing to run through on a new character. WoW really didn't change all that much from its release to WotLK. TBC and WotLK just added to the game rather than completely changing it into something else.

My annoyance with Cataclysm is that I felt like I mainly paid for Blizzard to revamp the level 1-60 areas. I think that's why a lot of people see Cataclysm as being light on the content in comparison to WotLK or TBC. Quite often in other games, expansions bandaid some of the design flaws in the original areas by making new, better areas. Cataclysm doesn't do that. It makes the original areas less good because they are so heavily scripted and on-rails now they're not appealing to run through more than once.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

1. FFA pvp loot

2. no boa heirlooms

3. maybe move this to 1. make it so that no one can see your lvl. makes gankers think real hard

4. no instances

5. Item degrades. makes the econmy roll. gives crafters a reason

6. No third party apps period. if you let them in people wanna cheat.

7. merger servers. make 1 server world wide (would be awsome)

8. give a third faction

9. no phasing no cut scenes

10. world control points (world pvp) beable to take over areas. raise the stats on the losing side to balance it out till they can re take an area.

11. I can go on for a long time on this so ending here.

12. it's an mmo. you should never reach lvl cap make it harder to lvl ( bring on the longest grind ever)

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.