Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally over Everquest 1.

2»

Comments

• Bobjones1303Bobjones1303 Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by metalcore

Classic SOE tatics, make "Stills" of the game look great but try running around and all you will see is stills! Lag makes a better game, I think not!
    SWG is exactly the same, except the gameplay is slight better than EQ2.
    WoW graphically is very beautiful and taking the worst graphics for WoW and comparing them to the best in EQ2 is just laughable.
    Just try and run through an area with more than 6 people and watch the flicker book of stills as you run into a wall for 2 mins but dont realise.

WoW screenshot is from www.worldofwarcraft.com, so i wouldn't consider it the worst, the little kobold i was just using to show as an example of a creature type (it looks just plain stupid to me)

Eq2 doesn't lag for me, if you accept you can't put it on highest, and don't have bare minimum specs, then you won't have lag always, just in cities where its crowded

i don't think you've played Eq2, so you can't really comment on the gameplay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -EQ1 character:Grotub, shaman of the Tribunal server <retired>
    -Eq2 character: Grotub, mystic of the Crushbone server
    -Eq2 guild: Imperium Arcanum; on Crushbone server

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

The best way to judge a game's graphics has to be by watching it being played rather than looking at screenshots, so here are a couple videos of the two games for comparison.

Bear in mind the video recording quality in the WoW movie is worse than in the EQ2 movie. Note the "realism" of the bird in EQ2 (its wings look like they're on hinges and its feet stay at a perfect 90 degree angle to its body for the whole flight).

EQ2 griffon ride

WoW gryphon ride

• Bobjones1303Bobjones1303 Member Posts: 680

but griffons aren't even a major feature in Eq2, their barely a small feature, and if they were deleted, it wouldn't effect much; they exsist in 2 zones only, just 2 zones.  You can kill them in Thundering Steppes, but those don't really fly around, they just leasurly float.  I wouldn't doubt that WoW griffon rides look better than Eq2, never have, because it is a major feature in WoW.  Anyway, don't birds kind of keep their talons tucked under their feathers or for the most part still while flying?  But then again...........a griffon isn't a bird image

<edit> oh, and for some reason, none of those videos you ever link work for me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by Bobjones1303
    but griffons aren't even a major feature in Eq2, their barely a small feature, and if they were deleted, it wouldn't effect much; they exsist in 2 zones only, just 2 zones.  You can kill them in Thundering Steppes, but those don't really fly around, they just leasurly float.  I wouldn't doubt that WoW griffon rides look better than Eq2, never have, because it is a major feature in WoW.  Anyway, don't birds kind of keep their talons tucked under their feathers or for the most part still while flying?  But then again...........a griffon isn't a bird image
    <edit> oh, and for some reason, none of those videos you ever link work for me ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~image-EQ1 character:Grotub, shaman of the Tribunal server <retired>-Eq2 character: Grotub, mystic of the Crushbone server-Eq2 guild: Imperium Arcanum; on Crushbone server

I think the videos give a good representation of both game's graphics in general, based on my experience, and note that you don't only see the griffon in the videos. The comparison is also of the landscape, models and architecture.

To sum it up... EQ2: Clunky, dull, forced, ugly. WoW: Fluid, inspiring, vibrant, inviting.

Did you try right-clicking them and choosing "save as"?

• VronVron Member Posts: 71

In EQ2 I'm pretty sure the environment is on the lowest setting possible.

Besides, any EQ2 fan can find a crappy WoW pic/video, a good EQ2 pic/video, and compare them, and vice versa.

Originally posted by Vron
    In EQ2 I'm pretty sure the environment is on the lowest setting possible.Besides, any EQ2 fan can find a crappy WoW pic/video, a good EQ2 pic/video, and compare them, and vice versa.

Those were the only two movies I could find that were directly downloadable so they definitely weren't hand-picked in any way, and as I pointed out the video quality in the WoW video is worse than in the EQ2 video.

If the environment is on the lowest settings possible (which I can't verify) then increasing the settings will only improve the texture quality and maybe increase the polygon count slightly. The actual design of the game won't change one bit.

Also, note the unbelievably irritating and unrealistic sound of the griffon's wings in EQ2. That's gonna sound the same whatever system you're running the game on.

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Originally posted by Effect

Didnt know whether to post this here or on the EQ board.
    I played EQ1 for 3 years. I gave it up for over a year now.
    Before WoW, I wandered from game to game trying to find a replacement, with no joy.
    Finally WoW came out and I forgot about EQ1 (yes I kepted remembering the good times).
    Has anyone else lost there addiction from playing this game?

I hope this happens to me. I was hoping for it to happen with EQ2 but didn't. I''ve quit EQ1 for a while now but nothing I've played has ever given me the enjoyment(there was frustration from not finding groups at times) that EQ1 had. I then went from game to game hoping to find something that would fill the void but nothing did. Dark Age of Camelot came close as did Anarchy Online(before the price increase) but that was even less so then DAoC. I hope WoW can cause now on further reflection it seems to fit my play style more. At least I hope it will.

As corny as it sounds, good luck on your quest.

As for WoW, I started to enjoy the game after 10th level and began to love the game around 30ths, it just seems to get better, perhaps because the diversity of my character now matches what I had in EQ1.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• FerettFerett Member Posts: 51

I was a fool... I bought EQ2 and tried it out, and I admit I was really immersed in it... for about a week. The "new" feeling wore off and the grind just became plain stupid to me. After reading what all the hypes about, I'm definitally going to pick myself up a copy of WoW now, and maybe I can re-kindle that old feeling of EQ1 I spent some of my adolesence on. With a game so popular that I still cant even find a copy in stores, I know I'm not making a bad decision (hopefully image ).

• jmd10222jmd10222 Member Posts: 427

Originally posted by Zrazik

It's always funny when EQ2 fanbois comment on WoW graphics while EQ2 graphics are the sucky ones, should i say
    "i mean just look at the graphics lol...is there a class called Barbie Doll in EQ2?"
    Oh and they often bring that topic cause more polygons is all that EQ2 has over WoW.

You forgot to mention that EQ2 has ALOT more LAG image

• jmd10222jmd10222 Member Posts: 427

Classic SOE tatics, make "Stills" of the game look great but try running around and all you will see is stills! Lag makes a better game, I think not!
    SWG is exactly the same, except the gameplay is slight better than EQ2.
    WoW graphically is very beautiful and taking the worst graphics for WoW and comparing them to the best in EQ2 is just laughable.
    Just try and run through an area with more than 6 people and watch the flicker book of stills as you run into a wall for 2 mins but dont realise.

WoW screenshot is from www.worldofwarcraft.com, so i wouldn't consider it the worst, the little kobold i was just using to show as an example of a creature type (it looks just plain stupid to me)

Eq2 doesn't lag for me, if you accept you can't put it on highest, and don't have bare minimum specs, then you won't have lag always, just in cities where its crowded

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

well i have played EQ2 and trust me i really really wanted to LOVE this game. I followed the game for a year and a half before launch(even joined a guild that was going to launch on this game) and spent alot of money upgrading to fit the games needs. well im here to tell you (sadly) that its not much fun to ME (notice i said ME) at all. The lag fest was the works then the GANKS from SOE for money was the last straw. i played the game since launch and canceled the other day. keep playing to see if i could make myself love it and to no avail. So im moveing to WoW (along with 75% of my guild). Fun is what i gauge a MMORPG buy not graphics.

• ValakValak Member Posts: 2

::::09::Wolrd of Warcraft has better graphics than EQII, just look at the tecnology, besides WoW is more adictive that EQII.

::::40::

Regards,
    Valak.

Regards,
    Valak.

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

boy oh boy oh boy. i just read through this entire post and about died laughing. when will people (i dont care what game you play) learn to accept the fact that someone else likes a game? i mean come on people! seriously! shut the fuck up about and go play your own damn game! why do you have to rant about why someone else's game sucks? they like it. why the hell should YOU care what THEY play? i personally like both games, as i have said on many occasions, I just prefer EQ2 myself. I have never criticezed a person for liking WoW, and I don't apprecitate when people criticize me for liking EQ2.

grow up people

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Erm this is a discussion board, if we agreed on everything or didnt discussion the positive and negatives of a game, this forum would be empty.

Or we could do what you want and pat each other on the back whilst calling them childish.

Well done.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i do not have a minimum requirement computer, the game runs perfectly fine when i am not in a city.

If i go to the city, especially SOME city-zone like South Qeynos, i'm dead. It is slideshow for me for around 1 minute. And after that, all other zones performance became worse, a clear sign of some memory leak, sigh. I tried to put all in low settings, but it did not change a bit.

I dunno if the city is/was crowded but i doubt as it happen all the times i go to that damn south Qeynos (or North Freeport).

The game is not bad, i enjoyed it at start, but those loading times and city lag is ticking me off :(

Have a nice day.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

im all for discussing the positives and negatives, just not open flame wars that have become so very common.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• lajirilajiri Member Posts: 1

I've experienced similar problems when traveling from map-to-map in WoW. It seems like the more maps you switch between, the more you lag. So... As a temp fix, I just exit the game and re-open it whenever it gets bad. Works for me :)

I hope they get it fixed soon though. So far I'm enjoying WoW. I tried to play EQ2, but decided not to after finding out I needed to spend about $400 to get a decent video card to play it.

Khonoru - WoW Dragonblight Server

• screamsterscreamster Member Posts: 6

I just came from SWG and can honestly say, WoW is AWESOME! I really wish other gaming companies(Ehem... SOE...) will learn from this. WoW is fun, fun, fun! So, graphically it's not the best.. Who cares?!??! I sure don't! I love this game and am addicted to it. ::::02::

Thank you Blizzard!!! Can't WAIT to see the expansions!

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

So far I'm really enjoying WoW. There are somethings I missed from EQ2 but overall its a LOT of fun. Playing a Human Paladin right now. Made my way from Stormwind all the way to the Night Elf city and then teleported back to Goldshire. That was a nice run with some interesting items along the way. I miss the graphics from EQ2 but not that bad.

Like said I lagged like crazy in zones like South Qeynos in Everquest 2. Same for the Qeynos Harbor. No lag at all outside of the city or in hunting zones inside of the city. Some of the settlement areas in the cities lagged as well. Honestly I think they should have done things similar to WoW in that some city areas should have been spaced out like North Qeynos or placed outside of the city walls similar to how World of Warcraft has towns outside of the major cities. While it might make for less detailed areas it might have done wonders for the lag.

I have noticed that in WoW the more travel to different areas, the more you seem to lag or things slow down. Exiting and logging back in just might work. It happens so quick that you won't waste any time it seems.

One of the best things I like about WoW is that its fun. :) The death system is good and other then repairing armor and weapons which doesn't seem to be a problem at all right now, I have no problem about exploring different places or trying something. No more worrying about wasting hours of playing time. The frustration is gone which alone puts  WoW at the top of my list. I just wish he male human models didn't look so ugly though. All the other male models look fine and the female ones of all the races look good as well but the human ones need work I feel. I was hoping I could play a Blood Elf but Night Elves are fun. Think I might make a Hunter as my next character.

Leveling isn't insanely fast but a lot faster then most other games which is a huge plus in my book. I also really like the rest  feature.

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304
    Finally after playing 18 MMORPG's after EQ1, along came WoW.  Its the only game thats anything like EQ1, it even uses the same commands/chat.  Only problem I have is the cartoony graphics and its far too easy to level.

-----------------Censored------------------

-----------------Censored------------------

• Phoenix22Phoenix22 Member Posts: 81

THANK You Skeamster ! Why is everyone so worried about graphics? Or should i say since when has it gone from "I want an exciting and fun game" to " I love looking at eye candy regardless of how much the game blows"

In no way am I Putting down a game with good graphics but that seems to be the only arguement these EQII fanboys have

"Open your mind for a different view"

Win XP Home
    Athalon 64 3400+
    1024 DDR 400MHz RAM
    Duel 120 GiG HDs W/Raid 0
    GeForce 6800 GT 256MB

Originally posted by Effect
    So far I'm really enjoying WoW. There are somethings I missed from EQ2 but overall its a LOT of fun. Playing a Human Paladin right now. Made my way from Stormwind all the way to the Night Elf city and then teleported back to Goldshire. That was a nice run with some interesting items along the way. I miss the graphics from EQ2 but not that bad.
    Like said I lagged like crazy in zones like South Qeynos in Everquest 2. Same for the Qeynos Harbor. No lag at all outside of the city or in hunting zones inside of the city. Some of the settlement areas in the cities lagged as well. Honestly I think they should have done things similar to WoW in that some city areas should have been spaced out like North Qeynos or placed outside of the city walls similar to how World of Warcraft has towns outside of the major cities. While it might make for less detailed areas it might have done wonders for the lag.
    I have noticed that in WoW the more travel to different areas, the more you seem to lag or things slow down. Exiting and logging back in just might work. It happens so quick that you won't waste any time it seems.
    One of the best things I like about WoW is that its fun. :) The death system is good and other then repairing armor and weapons which doesn't seem to be a problem at all right now, I have no problem about exploring different places or trying something. No more worrying about wasting hours of playing time. The frustration is gone which alone puts  WoW at the top of my list. I just wish he male human models didn't look so ugly though. All the other male models look fine and the female ones of all the races look good as well but the human ones need work I feel. I was hoping I could play a Blood Elf but Night Elves are fun. Think I might make a Hunter as my next character.
    Leveling isn't insanely fast but a lot faster then most other games which is a huge plus in my book. I also really like the rest  feature.

Great to hear good things about WoW from an EQ2 convert.

It might be time to change your avatar now though. He looks like Crystal Ken after freebasing crack rocks for a week.