Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we (as players) make a good community?

pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

With the free beta crowd I can understand why the chatter gets the way it is (and usually is in most MMO betas), however once headstart begins and the players online are actually paying subscriptions- what can we as the playerbase do to have a good community (I'm leaning more towards what I've seen in LoTRO vs what I've seen in WoW). I'd rather not just try banking on rolling on a RP server because they are stereotyped as being "more mature"- rolling on a RP server when you don't intend to RP makes you part of the problem there.

While mechanics of convenience such as the ease of soloing and the speed of leveling (as well as the anonymous nature of rift raids) negate the importance of server reputation, the lack of features such as quick and cheap renaming, faction/server hopping, and multi-server dungeon finder gives us some repercussion of being an asshat to other players. I'd really like to see a more positive and helpful community take shape.

Any ideas?

Comments

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I'm always trying to stimulate good discussion by... discussing :) Sometimes no one will answer, but sometimes you'll get some positive replies. Little gestures like that makes a good community.

You can try to run some PUGs to fight invasions. You need some leadership skills, but if you keep a positive attitude it'll spread around in your group. Ignore the negative Nancys out there and it should be fine (and fun).

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I say police yourselves. Imo a lot of the crap that hapens in todays mmo's is becouse the decent people don't speak out. I belive generaly decent people are a biger percentage of the playerbase than we belive. Be seen to help others in general chat, if somebody is beeing an asshat if enough players speak out others will take the hint and see that this is the way the community works and it does not have a lot of time for asshatery. And generaly to be repectful of other players. Lead by example and if you care about a game get involved in it no matter how much you get flamed or laughed at.  Thats what I always try to do, but I am a charimatic narcissitic moody loner naive hero role-model;)

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

Me personally, I am always positive.  I talk about positive things, find a guild that knows how to have fun and enjoy the game, and comment on anything that is optimistic or funny. 

I tend to ignore anything that is negative, and if someone is continually negative I just don't talk to them. 

All the whiners, complainers, and gripers I counter their points with logical, well thoughtout responses. While this doesn't ever convince the original complainer. Anyone who's objectiely reading the gripers point has a logical counterpoint to read as well. 

If someone tries to troll, I agree with them!  I make sure I respond with as much scarcasm an praise as I can muster... It usually get's a laugh :)  Example: Rift is a clone of WoW... You're right!  Hellscream is looking fine leading those Defiant! and I can't believe those fucking allys stole our kodos... Now we have to ride around on a 4 legged mechanical chickens! Those riteous bastards are going down!!! Who do they think they are anyway? Our saviors?!?

You can't fight the negatives in a community.... Only spin them positively... If enough people do that, then the negative people won't get listened to, the trolls will be the jesters of the community, and the gripers will be given their pats on the back and a vacant corner.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Embrace, lead and educate. It isn't any different from real life. The best player communities have recongnizable leaders, player universities and guilds set up specifically to embrace new players.

Tater Salad in AOC, TEMPS in Fallen Earth and EVE University in EVE Online are some great examples of how players take the reins and build community. The best part is that when people start off seeing positive behaviour, they are usually less likely to be a jackass in game later on.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

There's no such thing as a good community in MMO's anymore. Kids use their parents credit cards to play online, and guys over all mature less. I my time playing MMO's I've come across some great gamers, but I've come across a lot more douche bags as well. Nothing you can do to make a community better, it is what it is, and it has been tainted by previous released games.