Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I love this game

LawmannLawmann Member Posts: 11

Sometimes I wonder about why people actually go to such extremes when talking about a particular game.  Generally they are upset because of one or two specific details that can be fixed.  EQII so far has been very user friendly and the support team has actually been doing something to help, which I almost never seen in EQ.  They SOE team seems to actually be interested in customer satisfaction, but eveyone has to remember they will go with what makes "MOST" of their customers satisfied and then work on what they can for the rest of the people.  This is no different thatn any other game or business.  SOE just deals with a lot more customers than most other companies. 

Personally, I have had a blast with the game.  I ran the game on my system and obtained a better graphics card (Christmas present to myslef...hooray) and was amazed all over again.  My biggest problem is choosing which toon to stick with.  I have 4 all near level 20 and can't decide which i like better.  I am only writing this because I wanted people who are checking these boards to see if they should try a game or not, get an opinion from someone who is enjoying it.  I like the game so much I am writing this while at work, because I like to look up stuff when i have free time to help have even more fun when I get home.  Try the game, you will be glad you did.

Comments

• JdokiJdoki Member Posts: 68

/agree

Have played the majority of MMORPG's on the market, beta tested a few, and EQ2 is definitely the best.

Also, amuses me how much all those people who hated SWG so much that they 'will never buy another SOE product' are missing out (if they stayed true to their word)!

Just to give a brief run down of some of the stuff I like:
    Quests - lots of em, and always interesting. I Quest in the true sense of the word, not as a way to get more XP.
    Lore - The back story is interesting and if you want to delve in to it, it's there. The feeling the devs have captured from the good and bad sides is awesome - to the point where I feel my play style changes depending on whether I am a bad guy in Freeport or a good guy in Qeynos.
    Graphics - This game is made far more interesting because of the graphics. Not just just in technical quality, but also in aesthetic quality. It's interesting to go exploring because the landscapes draw you in, and the eye candy is excellent.
    Grouping - Each archetype has a definite roll in a group that exceeds any other MMORPG I have played. Fighters have to learn to be effective Tanks and so on.
    Solo - If you want to solo play is possible. I have solo'd a character up to level 20 so far. And the 'Big Patch' that goes live in January supposedly adds even more solo content.
    Crafting - I thought SWG had the best crafting system, but I think I prefer EQ2 - it's different and removes any sort of automation or macro XP gaining. Also, Crafting is a viable alternative to Adventuring; you can choose to never to fight.
    Combat - The combat system flows nicely, is fast, and tactics are an important part.
    Harcore and Newbie friendly
    No Kill Stealing

There are down sides too:
    The economy - You can only sell while online, and in your room. This is boring and has lead to AFK merchants.
    Crafting - It may be cool to craft stuff, but at the lower levels most items can be bought cheaper from NPC's or better stuff given away as Quest rewards.
    A bit too 'mass market' friendly - The game holds your hand a little too much at times. For example the Con system basically removes any 'risk vs reward' game play, as you have so much info on the target you know for sure whether you will/won't kill any particular enemy.

I'm not going to comment on Customer Service issues as personally I think most people have just jumped on the 'SOE Customer Service sux' band wagon with little to no hard evidence . SWG is NOT EQ2, and so far I can not complain about the information the devs have given the player base, both in terms of information about fixes and future updates, and about problems when things have gone wrong.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Lawmann
    Sometimes I wonder about why people actually go to such extremes when talking about a particular game.  Generally they are upset because of one or two specific details that can be fixed.  EQII so far has been very user friendly and the support team has actually been doing something to help, which I almost never seen in EQ.  They SOE team seems to actually be interested in customer satisfaction, but eveyone has to remember they will go with what makes "MOST" of their customers satisfied and then work on what they can for the rest of the people.  This is no different thatn any other game or business.  SOE just deals with a lot more customers than most other companies. 
    Personally, I have had a blast with the game.  I ran the game on my system and obtained a better graphics card (Christmas present to myslef...hooray) and was amazed all over again.  My biggest problem is choosing which toon to stick with.  I have 4 all near level 20 and can't decide which i like better.  I am only writing this because I wanted people who are checking these boards to see if they should try a game or not, get an opinion from someone who is enjoying it.  I like the game so much I am writing this while at work, because I like to look up stuff when i have free time to help have even more fun when I get home.  Try the game, you will be glad you did.

There is just one issue I have with what you said. You said the support was very good which you never saw in EQ I. Well, in the beginning support in EQ 1 was fantastic, atleast 1 gm and 3 counselors on at ALL times, PER server. Once Sony figured out they had their client base and they had their reviews in and didnt need staff anymore, support staff was cut almost completely. This will happen with EQ 2, don't be mistaken. Sony does it with every game they put that I have seen thus far. EQ II may be a fantastic game, I don't know, I have decided not to pick up any new MMORPG's atm. So be prepared for the horrible support of EQ I to come in time.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Jdoki

I'm not going to comment on Customer Service issues as personally I think most people have just jumped on the 'SOE Customer Service sux' band wagon with little to no hard evidence . SWG is NOT EQ2, and so far I can not complain about the information the devs have given the player base, both in terms of information about fixes and future updates, and about problems when things have gone wrong.

You have absolutely zero basis on that statement what so ever. 6 years of EQ is quite enough evidence for many people, along with SWG. I have experienced customer support in both. Many times over for EQ, and after the first 2 years of EQ, shortly after Velious came out support went completely down the tubes. If you want to debate that issue or try to prove me wrong, go right ahead, but you will be barking up the wrong tree. I know the interworkings of the EQ gm system and what has been done to counsilors as well.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937

Ok but as far as EQ2 goes the CS had been pretty good, which is the real issue. I admit SOE had a crappy history but let's see how they do with EQ2.

Originally posted by Saigonshakes
    Ok but as far as EQ2 goes the CS had been pretty good, which is the real issue. I admit SOE had a crappy history but let's see how they do with EQ2.

Hopefully better.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

• JdokiJdoki Member Posts: 68

Depends on your definition of Customer Service.

If you mean kids screaming about nerfs, demanding to know why X has been implemented but not Y, how they have a right to know exactly what is going on at all times, and that as a paying customer they have some ownership of the development process then I don't class that as Customer Service.

If you mean getting quick assistance to problems such as being stuck in an area, unable to zone, or unable to finish a Mission/Quest, then that's what I would call Customer Service. And the few times I've ever had to use it the response has been more than adequate.

Most people who post 'SOE CS sux' do not back it up with evidence. Your post that I have 'zero basis on that statement whatsoever' is a great example when you back it up with '6 years of EQ is quite enough evidence for many people' - Hard Facts anyone?. Are you suggesting the majority of EQ players are unhappy? Seems odd a game can run for 6+ years with such bad Customer Service. Was Customer Service just sooo bad that you HAD to torture yourself for 6 years; are you a masochist?

I can only base my opinions on what I have experienced and those experiences of online and RL friends. SOE, and for that matter any other MMORPGs I've played, has always been acceptable.

The few that regularly post vitriol on the forums and whip themselves in to a frenzy of hatred towards Customer Service, and SOE specifically rarely have a genuine basis for complaint. And if they do, they generally aim it at this mythical beats of Customer Service as if it is the root cause of all the problems with the game and the 'silver bullet' to put everything right.

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

Exactly, Jdoki.  Many of these complainers seem to think customer service is supposed to respond to their whining or come hold their hands or show them how to do things. 

As far as real problems, I've been playing EQ 1 or 2 since around August, 1998, and I have never yet failed to get appropriate help for a *real* problem ... nor have any of my friends or any of the members of our large guild.

• DerfelCadarnDerfelCadarn Member Posts: 875

Ah! Being postive can be dangerous!::::36::

Originally posted by Jdoki
    Depends on your definition of Customer Service.
    If you mean kids screaming about nerfs, demanding to know why X has been implemented but not Y, how they have a right to know exactly what is going on at all times, and that as a paying customer they have some ownership of the development process then I don't class that as Customer Service.
    If you mean getting quick assistance to problems such as being stuck in an area, unable to zone, or unable to finish a Mission/Quest, then that's what I would call Customer Service. And the few times I've ever had to use it the response has been more than adequate.
    Most people who post 'SOE CS sux' do not back it up with evidence. Your post that I have 'zero basis on that statement whatsoever' is a great example when you back it up with '6 years of EQ is quite enough evidence for many people' - Hard Facts anyone?. Are you suggesting the majority of EQ players are unhappy? Seems odd a game can run for 6+ years with such bad Customer Service. Was Customer Service just sooo bad that you HAD to torture yourself for 6 years; are you a masochist?
    I can only base my opinions on what I have experienced and those experiences of online and RL friends. SOE, and for that matter any other MMORPGs I've played, has always been acceptable.
    The few that regularly post vitriol on the forums and whip themselves in to a frenzy of hatred towards Customer Service, and SOE specifically rarely have a genuine basis for complaint. And if they do, they generally aim it at this mythical beats of Customer Service as if it is the root cause of all the problems with the game and the 'silver bullet' to put everything right.

hard facts? what would you like, screenshots of every occurance I have ever had with a CS representative, or maybe you would like me going back and forth with a lead GM after one of the other GM's tried to burn me fairly bad me and then dismiss my issue. I am suggesting that I have very many years with EQ's customer service, know the inner workings of it and personally am saying their customer service is sub par.

Am I masochist? No, I just don't wish to lose my time invested or my accounts because of it, if you can't understand that then sorry.

So you let me know what hard evidence you expect to be drummed up so your content with "proof" on their behavior. That is a rather rediculous request, as if anyone is ever going to log all their problems with CS in EQ just incase someone wants proof before I am beleived. Don't beleive me, Enjoy EQ 2, but there are far more people saying there is a problem with it then there are that are content with it. Your basing your opinions on a brand new game they just pushed out.

Last time I checked I don't post much vitriol on EQ, as a matter of fact, I can hardly think of any time I have complained about it here. But you mistated and I was making sure my more experienced opinion was heard because I feel the others that have complained do have merit.

BTW, where is your evidence that you received good CS? Don't sit and ask for evidence unless you have evidence to back your own claims. Have anything to prove good CS in EQ 1, SWG maybe? I can respect you telling me you have had good experience, I am not going to question that, but you do admit your experience is limited.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

This is EQ2, not EQ or SWG. SOE also has a competitor now with Blizzard, so I would expect them to do better than their past MMOs.

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

----------------------------------

Originally posted by jimothypetro
    This is EQ2, not EQ or SWG. SOE also has a competitor now with Blizzard, so I would expect them to do better than their past MMOs.----------------------------------

Hopefully you are right. I may perhaps play EQ 2 in the future and would like to see CS stay at the higher quality it is in there at the moment.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

• Locke_965Locke_965 Member Posts: 10

I think this Game is Great to, I dont know what everyone is getting upset about... i started the game, Graphics were GREAT got in, looked there was only two Cities!

The Only thing I was Sad about was the Fact that Norrath was Destroyed, Kelthin, RiverVale, Halas, Planes of Knowledge!

I used to play EQ1 and it was the Best game I have ever played, i mean my Highest lvl was a lvl 35 Druid Halfling but that was becuase I kept making new Characters, getting them to lvl 16, and then deleting them lol but still i was Sad when I found out only place there was were Qeynos(SonyEQ hehe) and Freeport

But this game is STILL Great..

• viet_boy33viet_boy33 Member Posts: 395

same been playing for like 3 days, and this game is fun. The top 2 MMORPGs i think are best are EQII and WoW. But i cant decide which one is better

www.narutofan.com go there for Naruto episodes!!

http://www.narutofan.com go there for Naruto episodes!!

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

i never played the original eq so i dont know about any of the areas that were taken out. personally, i LOVE this game and i honestly dont see how anyone can find a reason to hate it. i really really just dont understand how they can find a reason to hate it. o well, to each his own i guess.

as for the areas taken out, i think it would be cool for them to add the old areas back in through the corse of expansions and everything, but like so many areas they have been changed. im kinda hoping they do more of a free update style (one of the good ideas L2 had) instead of making me go out and buy 20 million expansion packs.

anyways, great game, love it, i dont see me stopping anytime soon.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• OttomarOttomar Member Posts: 26

For me, every opinion is ok. Everyone has different views on how a good game should look and feel like and that's fine.

Personally I enjoyed EQ2 up to lvl 20 but after that I realized that it doesn't really get much better than that. Ohyea, there's lots of spells and equipment to be had but its just too repetitive. Im not saying the game is bad, it just doesn't suit me that's all. If the game had pvp I'd probably still play it since pvp is the ultimate endgame for me.

/Ott

Tried: Most MMO's, Playing: EQ2