Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

READ : The Rift / World of Warcraft/Warhammer/Etc Comparison Thread

Comments

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by Castillle

I was reading through the list of 120 good thingsabout rift or whatever that list was then I noticed...

"Beginner backpack has 20 slots" 

Doesnt WoWs first backpack have 20 sllots?

hmm...Sure its 16? I remember 18 slot bags are the ones you buy and that the initial backpack is bigger than that...

Edit : nvm 14 slots are the ones that are bought

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• FredjeFredje Member Posts: 2

Rift is different, but not much. What Rift does well is powering up the pve-action by rifts and especially their invasions.  It made me keep playing the beta's.  Also the complicated soul-buildings and sometimes hard solo-pve encounters are challenging.  All the other things are pretty standard.  They have done it well, but Its done before.  Trion tries too improve, sometimes they do, sometimes they absolutely dont.

The real question is, does a game need to consist of ground-breaking gameplay to be called a good MMO?

Or: If it must comply nicely to the common high standards of fantasy-MMO's, does Rift succeed?

I think they do, its a nice game, not  groundbreaking or a wow-killer (yet), but a good challenger, wich could set a new standard for big spontanious Pve battles in MMO's

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261

I'm sorry, why do we have to READ this?

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by Sunioj

I'm sorry, why do we have to READ this?

LOL you don't?

• Castlead1z1Castlead1z1 Member UncommonPosts: 100

Originally posted by Vidir

It is hard to compare the games just like that, me for example did cancel wow only 3 months after release and that was maily couse of the horrible comunity,however I did never miss the game and allways disliked it due to the bad comunity.

Rift's comunity not much better...and i suspect it's going to become worse ;)

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

Originally posted by WishMeister

Originally posted by Vidir

It is hard to compare the games just like that, me for example did cancel wow only 3 months after release and that was maily couse of the horrible comunity,however I did never miss the game and allways disliked it due to the bad comunity.

Rift's comunity not much better...and i suspect it's going to become worse ;)

What community? the game doesnt start till 10am PST today. there isnt a community till the game goes live. even then its only headstart.

i suggest you save your "doom" statements till the game has been out for a month, it helps creditability.

• Zaber_DKZaber_DK Member Posts: 1

I've been playing WoW since day one and have done everything the games has to offer. PVE content, PVP etc., all 10 toons are either lvl 80 or 85 etc. etc..

There is no doubt that WoW was a great game and still is for many players - no question about that and the huge player base tells the same story regardless if you like the game or not.

But lets face it.. for the many players that have been around that game for a very long time it is time for that game to be put to rest. Rest in Peace WoW and thanks for the many fun (and borring) hours.

The graphics are outdated. The latest content expansions have brought nothing new since BC. It's the same story in different wrappings.

Blizz has earned billions and spend sooo little on innovation in WoW compared to the earnings. It is a fine cash cow ;-)

The biggest problem for many WoW oldtimers is... BOREDOM! Pretty much all my mates from WoW are just waiting for something to come along a give them a run for their money.

...and here comes Rift!

WoW killer? I doubt it.. but I do see it as a game that at least try to give the players more.

More dynamics to the game world.. more "features", e.g. they have taken a great deal of the good stuff of other MMO's (WoW, AION, WAR etc.) and thrown it into one package. At least they're trying.. which is more than you can say about Blizz.

I've been playing Rift Beta and for the first time in years I have actually been enjoying my self. 

Where Blizz is continuing going down the road of boredom (simplifying stuff all the time) Rift seems to go the other way of actually giving the player more freedom though many more talent trees etc. (I must admit thay I'm the kind of player that like to play around with different talent builds), dynamic events etc. Even if much of it has alreday been seen in other MMO's it's great to see it all together in one MMO.

I'm truly looking forward to Rift and you know what.. It's a damn well polished and stable game already in its late Beta stage.

Thumps up from me ;-)

• allinanallinan Member Posts: 79

My experiences with the community during beta were good.  Of course open beta was similiar to barrens chat, but what can you expect with a free open beta.  To all the trolls that played open beta and did not purchase the game, thanks!  Thank you for helping test a game I like so it can have a successful release.  :)

• AarodorAarodor Member Posts: 10

Ok, tried to read the full thread but life is short.

What is an MMO - a character, quests, some form of fighting, better your equipment, explore the world. chat to people and form a guild.

Thats the basics of every game out there, even those such as Oblivion and any non online mmo, its called the framework.

What they add onto it, the skin, is what makes a game good, bad, different, successful or failure.

Every person who plays games likes different things, everyone has an opinion, everyone has good days and bad.

Is Rift like Wow? I have beta tested Rift since first session - of course it is, there all have the same 'framework'.

You want my opinion - its like a better version of EQ - but then, only in certain things. EQ was my first MMO and boy that was/is awesome, pollished, entertaining and fun. But its still the same framework. Wow is cool, i loved it since day one, so was DAOC and GW. i loved aspects of them all. I tried them all until i found one that stuck with me.

Thats my opinion. I am not saying anyone is wrong.

Play the game for a month, if you personally like it, stay. if you dont, go back to the one you do like until a new game comes out.

I am sorry this thread isnt informative about comparing Rift to everything, but play what you enjoy, life is short, try something new - hug a tree if you want (watch for splinters).

Now im off to play some type of generic shoot em up online, guns, people, challenges, better guns - sound familiar??

• LiasoLiaso Member Posts: 6
    In this case pls read THE forum carefully you Will find loads of mail comparing wow and ruft

Gr. Liaso
  • BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by allinan

My experiences with the community during beta were good.  Of course open beta was similiar to barrens chat, but what can you expect with a free open beta.  To all the trolls that played open beta and did not purchase the game, thanks!  Thank you for helping test a game I like so it can have a successful release.  :)

^^QFT .....

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• StapledPupptStapledPuppt Member Posts: 19

Playing the game now. RIFT is similar not only to WoW (argh, WOW isn't the only MMO!) but too all MMOs. It's not a bad thing. It takes a combo of plenty of great things (with slight innovation) and makes a mutant baby out of it.

It's a really great, active, fun and addictive game. The players are helpful and chatty. The World is relatively big (not as big as WoW world though).

I recommend it!

-StapledPuppet

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

They re both boring. spoon fed, souless games. Thats my comparison. Rift has no lasting power. We ve seen it a million times before, xxxx is the best game out there, a few days after release. It will fade and we ll be back to the same topics as usual.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

My feuncee's brother is in Rift headstart and i had a chance to have a good look at it, played a couple of hours with his rogue. My consensus is that to a seasoned and active both in PvE and PvP WoW player (since 2005) Rift has nothing much more to offer. Not to the point where he will switch subs. Yes, as a new and very polished game it has this "fresh aura" with shiny graphics and all that modern day stuff. But in my humble opinion when it comes to themepark MMO's, WoW is the undisputable king and Rift won't threaten it. Again, in my opinion only TOR and GW2 have the potential to make this happen.

• GavelaydeGavelayde Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by Shodanas

My feuncee's brother is in Rift headstart and i had a chance to have a good look at it, played a couple of hours with his rogue. My consensus is that to a seasoned and active both in PvE and PvP WoW player (since 2005) Rift has nothing much more to offer. Not to the point where he will switch subs. Yes, as a new and very polished game it has this "fresh aura" with shiny graphics and all that modern day stuff. But in my humble opinion when it comes to themepark MMO's, WoW is the undisputable king and Rift won't threaten it. Again, in my opinion only TOR and GW2 have the potential to make this happen.

I agree...in ways. WOW isn't the undisputed king of anything.  It has used aspects of every mmo that came out before it.  Yes, it has made the most money... but only after it sacrificed it's friends and it's conscience (Loyalty...0)  I agree that GW2 will threaten wow.  EQ  is the king of mmorpg's...

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

To me it's disgusting that they feel they have to drag WoW into their advertising. If Blizzard did that other games fanboys would head to the hospitals to get oxygen and then back to flame whoever happens to be online.

Especially when it's clear RIFT don't stand a chance against WoW in any way. I thought we ones and for all figured out that shiny graphics doesn't make a good game alone (that one went out to Ages of Conan) and making your game a bit too similar to WoW won't make it a longterm success (that one went to Warhammer).

Three months and they will be thinking about turning it into Free To Play.

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

i agree with mike..they declair war but they dont wanna be wow but they dont wanna be wow? if that makes any sence lol it  looks like wow..and a very similar copy of wow in many ways besides the grafix ..sure every game has a lil of every game in it but when its so blatant and right there in your face they are really hideing the fact its very much the same ol same ol "we just want yur subs for a year" ...imo this game is almost on the lines of allods but allods is basicly a carbon copy of wow lol i 2 soon see this game going f2p but maybe a year and a 1/2 ...i also hear they have a massive "content" patch or expan comeing soon with seems to tell me this game is shallow on release ..a game that will need server merges soon and more content soo early means 1 thing to me ..shallow..shallow like ...

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by Gavelayde

Like u?

sry i didnt mean to hurt yur feelings / sadface

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Don't worry about it!

talking to yourself or you haven't figured out how to use a quote button yet?

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Let's do some contrasts!

"You're not in blatheraoth anymore."

Yeah I know, it has the same boars but roughly 8 times the landmass.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • GavelaydeGavelayde Member Posts: 62

Mytheon???

• SchwaahlySchwaahly Member Posts: 7

I belive its more of a social aspect... ie WOW has been around, I know this cuz I played WOW from the start to litch king and it wasnt the game.. it was the guild I was in and the peeps I met that keep me playin . sure it got old .. not cuz graphics.. lame content  ALL THE BULLSHIT IT TOOK TO GET A RAID GOIN (or havin to respect all the time deff in the early days, and maby still cuz blizz couldnt and imo still cant have class balance again just imo)// it was for the people I met online and if rift can do that well hell its worth a shot. from what ive seen of rift it reminds me of WOW hell early EQ for that, but its still a mmo and its the social game that will make it thrive or fail not graphics or content its if ur buddies or gona get on and play..

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

Oops...I'm right! 3 of a kind...

Thank God for the report button. Or block button even...

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

the one thing i am missing as a realy unique feature in rift that wow doesnt have (or WAR for that matter) is that the engine alowes the devs to add live events without restarting the server.......they can patch while the server is LIVE.

They can make new events on the fly.......if you whine ingame they have the tools to just spawn an 600foot orgre on your ass just by clicking a button......no server reboots needed.

Dont get me wrong......i actually stil love wow but the community ruined it for me :p sorry

• zen4crushzen4crush Member Posts: 1

WoW is a solid game and Cataclysm is a well-polished and predictable expansion, but it is more of the same mediocre graphics, repetitive quests and stale character building capabilities.

Rift has vivid 3D high definition graphics that look amazing on the highest settings with a fairly good graphics card with 1GB of dedicated memory. At lower settings and with lower end graphics card the game still looks great, but at full detail it is quite impressive.

The Rift characters and their armor look much more realistic than the cartoony graphics of WoW.

Rift also has many more options for building up your characters. Whatever primary type you pick, you can equip up to 3 souls at a time from a choice of 8. The souls are easy to acquire by doing quests in your primary home city (Meridian or Sanctum).

Each soul offers its own tree of talents that you can gain by adding points as you level up. The game play and mechanics for each differ so you can keep things interesting by experimenting with different combinations and by putting points in different trees.

Questing in any MMO can sometimes get boring, but Rift has lots of other ways to earn XP. Rifts tear into the world and you need to join a group and fight them back. Invasions happen spontaneously in random places and the opposing faction or monsters from Rifts will attack your villages and outposts especially near wardstones. You get good rewards for fighting in these battles.

WoW didn't really have anything spontaneous like this.

The warfronts in Rift are much like the battlegrounds in WoW. I liked the WoW battlegrounds. They were one of the best parts of the game for me. Rift warfronts so far are just as fun.

WoW had some great dungeons with cool oversized bosses and various levels of challenges and so does Rift.

Bottom line for me is that the better graphics, more customizable characters and Rifts/Invasions have made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game, so Rift is the clear winner.

I'm putting my WoW account on hold and switching to Rift when my 30 days are up.

One suggestion is that if you buy the game you should buy the deluxe digital version so you can get a 60% speed increase turtle mount. The description said that you get it at level 20, but you can get it much sooner by getting to a mailbox. Most people seem to have them and it makes getting around much quicker. You also get a bigger bag which is always a good thing.