Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why WoW will not be killed

nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I used to say TOR and GW2 will kill WoW, but then I understood that I did not really mean for WoW to get killed, but rather TOR and GW2 to do better then WoW.

I don't think anything will kill WoW. In fact, I don't even think Blizzard can kill WoW. Bad patches, bad whatever means nothing to the WoW's fanbase. For lots of people this is their home, their social life, their friends. For these people, WoW is their husband/wife or their Virtual child. Husband, doesn't just abadon his wife, and a father doesn't abadon his son. So WoW might feel a tickkle, but not a deathly blow.

Comments

• lkc673lkc673 Member Posts: 149

wow is like part of your life now days if you have played wow in the past, its like facebook, you go on there once in a while to  check out things. 

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

I agree. Too many games have been around forever to say WoW will be "killed" by anything. Even WoW couldn't kill those games.

If they made it, Warcraft will definitely make it.

• sldropsldrop Member Posts: 112

100% agree WoW is more of an social network then a game. lol

made a few firends playing WoW...stop playing but still keeping in touch with them.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by sldrop

100% agree WoW is more of an social network then a game. lol

made a few firends playing WoW...stop playing but still keeping in touch with them.

This.

WoW is basically Facebook with a fantasy 3D setting for a lot of people. People I know that stopped playing all together will still keep their accounts open just to log in and chat with people. They won't raid, quest, pvp, etc... just sit and chat. That is one of the many reasons WoW is still staying high on subs.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by lkc673

wow is like part of your life now days if you have played wow in the past, its like facebook, you go on there once in a while to  check out things. 

quit 3 years ago and haven't logged in since then.

WoW will destroy itself that or its own community. 

• rottNrottN Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by Turdinator

I agree. Too many games have been around forever to say WoW will be "killed" by anything. Even WoW couldn't kill those games.

its the gamers that say it.. and its former wow gamers that left or are leaving.

But i must say this is a useless post..

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by rottN

its the gamers that say it.. and its former wow gamers that left or are leaving.

Well I still see people saying, Rift, or TOR or GW2 will kill WoW. I thought I'd reach out to them and maybe they're only confused too, just like I was. I don't think anybody really wants to see WoW plugged off, but the people saying WoW will be killed, only want their next MMO to do better then WoW (be successfull).

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

I don't have a next MMO, I just want WoW to fade away.

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

I agree. 12 million people can't be wrong.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Originally posted by Faxxer

It's not the community but the husband/wives/children that play together.  The community sucks but the social networks build inside the random anal and chuck jokes are what he's talking about.  I have to resub every now and then just to "hang out" with my RL friend who moved up north - that still refuses to leave wow despite my effords to lead him otherwise.

Although he has made a lot of friends in the guild he is in.  They are good people and their wives and kids play.   Some of the people we used to work with a few years back even.

Originally posted by nomss

Well I still see people saying, Rift, or TOR or GW2 will kill WoW. I thought I'd reach out to them and maybe they're only confused too, just like I was. I don't think anybody really wants to see WoW plugged off, but the people saying WoW will be killed, only want their next MMO to do better then WoW (be successfull).

Nothing is gonna kill anything unless they pull the plug on a game.. all older games like DaoC are still arround and are still active because ppl like it, and thats why nothing is gonna kill wow...too many ppl like it and are gouing to stay.

But i think they are gonna see a huge dump on subscribers when all these new games are out.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by lkc673

That is pretty accurate.  Most still play WoW, but not like playing a mmorpg, but to stay connected to their social network. To me, it's pretty clear, whether coincidence or not, WoW is the facebook of the mmo genre and the vast majority aren't probably all that in-touch with "gaming" or transitioning to another mmorpg, for losing their social connections.

So, I dont see other games like SWTOR, RIFT or GW2 un-seating WoW, but chipping into their player-base that are more-so mmorpg enthusiasts than social networked since high-school.

here we go again with the 12 mill.. its old dude..

how many accounts of those 12mil are open/owned by the same people and so on. its not actually 12million people paying/playing

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

here we go again with the 12 mill.. its old dude..

how many accounts of those 12mil are open/owned by the same people and so on. its not actually 12million people paying/playing

He's right! It's only millions upon millions more players than any other subscribed to mmo - after you chop off those double accounts.

Or perhaps I should say, 'oh it's the 'how many of the 12 million are double/triple accounts?' I could tell you too, "It get's old dude."

Logically how many people could you cut off? 2 million? 3 million? Even if every single subscriber had 2 accounts, WoW would still have MILLIONS more players than any other sub game. Period.

It isn't that 12 million can't be wrong - it is more like, with millions they can't ALL be wrong - when you get into the 'millions' of subscribers you are talking about such a variety of personalities it is simply completely illogical to think you can categorize them in anyway other than they all play WoW. Many smart, intelligent, understanding people play WoW, who believe it is a fun, quality game - when you talk about millions you have to admit, these people are in the crowd somewhere.

Like it or not, 12 million people can't ALL be wrong.

• LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

I have been playing in both US WoW and EU WoW due to having family members in both continents and i can assure you the EU WoW community has nothing to do with the horrible US community.

That´s not to say you can´t find douches in the EU version, but when i play US WoW i am FORCED to pretty much close any global channel and form of undesired communication.

Then again this is nothing new,  i have been playing online games both in PC and Dreamcast/gamecube/psx23 and stepping into the american servers for pretty much any online  game (god forbid it´s a competitive one)  is like stepping into a landmine field.

The Spanish and North American communities are the two things i fear the most in mmorpg´s.

Rawr.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

OMG, I guess guys who pay 15$/month just to say hi to the sort of virtual "friends" they will never meet in their life, needs real help.

Played many MMO so far, got some game mates in every one.

If it free (f2p, b2p) to "visit", I can come like once in a year, but more  for check how my account doing (as it still count as sub for dev reports=D)

that to meet my former mates, beside it still nice to meet them just to say hi, but as we don't play same games our interests splits apart.

Kill game is fullish idea IMO, each game is lot of dev's work & lot of players time, money, enjoyments or disappointments.

So I hope all game will be alive with attracted fans.

WoW is too big now? well it will not be such big with time anyhow, as new games comes out like a fresh backed bread and slowly eats WoW players base, beside said base became old & bored.

Worse again, in state throw full brand new expansion, Blizz was happy to pay classic WoW lifting from customers pockets, but offer nothing much on exchange.

Bad commercial step, IMO, not because gamers got upset, but because they got disappointed by lack of new content, and became bored even more as before, as before they all were hype about Cata.

Not sure at all how Blizz will do now to get all disappointed guys back, if it still possible, but IMO, if nothing done within very shot time, WoW will loose more & more subs (not account base=XD) every day.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

OP, do you know when WoW will die? When people stop caring.

As long as there are people that care enough to make threads such as this, WoW will never die.

To give you an example: How many theads do you see about DDO? Or Warhammer for that matter?