Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open or not open?

I have an unopened box of FFXIV.  The question is do I open the box now and play the game for free while they are fixing the mountain of problems?   Or do I just leave it sitting on my shelf until I hear that they have addressed some of the issues?

Comments

• LohdownLohdown Member UncommonPosts: 78

Since itis unopened, the best thing you could do would be to take it back and get a refund.

The moment I read "It's like" or "WoW" is the moment I stop reading your post.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Really if you can't get a refund, open it now and just play it. It's the most beautiful MMO you will ever play, the combat is a bit slow and right now leveling to max seems pointless, but the game is not without worth. It's actually rather fun if you don't mind working for what you want, the SP problems they were having are gone so leveling is really not bad at all anymore. The crafting is extremely complex but it's that depth that makes it fun. My problem was there are a limited number of areas, albeit massive areas, and thus the zones get a little tiresome. It's really up to you, you can get a free MMO for a couple months or you can just return it. Don't leave it on your shelf though, that's stupid, cause you could be higher ranked/leveled by the time the game is actually fixed. Also, it's going to get fixed, SE won't let this ship sink, the evidence is with FFXI which went through the same fiasco but worse. 

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

If you plan to play it later when things have improved, it still makes sense to open it and start playing right now. There's no monthly fee, so you're just throwing away free play time if you don't. And in any case, it's unlikely that the core gameplay mechanics are going to change. If the unstructured sandboxy nature of the game doesn't appeal to you, you might as well play it now and find that out ahead of time, because that's not likely to radically change.

• Originally posted by Lohdown

Since itis unopened, the best thing you could do would be to take it back and get a refund.

I'm wondering if you've even played since September or played at all.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by Disdena

If you plan to play it later when things have improved, it still makes sense to open it and start playing right now. There's no monthly fee, so you're just throwing away free play time if you don't. And in any case, it's unlikely that the core gameplay mechanics are going to change. If the unstructured sandboxy nature of the game doesn't appeal to you, you might as well play it now and find that out ahead of time, because that's not likely to radically change.

While I agree with the opening statement, I wouldn't be so sure about the rest. One of the core questions on the player survey was along those line, and the playerbase responded positively. If the new development team thinks core gameplay changes will help improve the game, I don't think they'll hesitate to implement them.

But, as the poster said, it's free play time, so why not? However, I do recommend finding friends or a good linkshell to play with. Soloing in this game is extremely monotonous, but playing with others is extremely rewarding, but in terms of how much you can accomplish and how much enjoyment you have while doing it.

<3

• There really isn't any mountain of problems....it's really just that they need to add some things. Which is in process. They're doing pretty well with keeping in contact with the players. It's definitely worth a try at least. 

• Originally posted by dreamscaper

Originally posted by Disdena

While I agree with the opening statement, I wouldn't be so sure about the rest. One of the core questions on the player survey was along those line, and the playerbase responded positively. If the new development team thinks core gameplay changes will help improve the game, I don't think they'll hesitate to implement them.

But, as the poster said, it's free play time, so why not? However, I do recommend finding friends or a good linkshell to play with. Soloing in this game is extremely monotonous, but playing with others is extremely rewarding, but in terms of how much you can accomplish and how much enjoyment you have while doing it.

+1

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

Thanks for your opinions on the matter.  I think I will go ahead and play it.  I have 19 days left before the head start of Rift, so I might as well use this to keep me occupied while I wait.

• drivecdrivec Member UncommonPosts: 104

Like most people are saying there isnt a mountain of problems just there is a mountain of improvements.

but the game isnt bad or unplayable it could just be alot better. the UI is the only problem i am having any beef with.

only have 2 chat tabs. and i wish i could close windows with the same key i open them with. besides that i dont really know of any personal problems.

here is a couple of sites with good information

http://www.disciplesoftheland.com/Default.aspx

http://ffxiv.zam.com/wiki/FFXIV_Macros

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/en/Main_Page

I would really like to see them add addons/custom UI maby. 

• LohdownLohdown Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by jonesing22

Originally posted by Lohdown

I played it a lot in open beta and a lot throughout october.  I have popped in here and there to see how things are going.  I see nothing different that changes this game from a laughable joke to an industry defining power house.  I don't even see anything that changes this from a laughable joke to a girlish giggle.

This game sucks to every single person that has any clue as to what good gameplay is.  There are 1,000's of better games out there that your time would be better spent playing; be it an mmo, a single-player game, or just a good old fashioned round of tetris for that matter.  If your idea of good gameplay is doing the same mini quests over and over til you are blue in the face and grinding endless mobs to level up then you will find this game flawless.

To the OP, trust me and the majority that have spoken. Return this game if you can.  If you can't, then just play it already.  It will blow you away with its graphics and cinematic presentation at first.  You will think this game is the second coming of Christ.  Then in about a week the light will shine down and you will see just how bad this game really is.

Good luck and have fun while it lasts.  It is free after all.

The moment I read "It's like" or "WoW" is the moment I stop reading your post.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

either open it and play it, or return it.  If you dont enjoy the game at all right now the chances of you enjoying it after they "massage" the game a little are highly unlikely.  Especially considering its free now. 

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

It's a niche game,perfect for old school gamers.

If you like Rift or Wow,you will probably hate this game.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by jonesing22

I played it a lot in open beta and a lot throughout october.  I have popped in here and there to see how things are going.  I see nothing different that changes this game from a laughable joke to an industry defining power house.  I don't even see anything that changes this from a laughable joke to a girlish giggle.

This game sucks to every single person that has any clue as to what good gameplay is.  There are 1,000's of better games out there that your time would be better spent playing; be it an mmo, a single-player game, or just a good old fashioned round of tetris for that matter.  If your idea of good gameplay is doing the same mini quests over and over til you are blue in the face and grinding endless mobs to level up then you will find this game flawless.

To the OP, trust me and the majority that have spoken. Return this game if you can.  If you can't, then just play it already.  It will blow you away with its graphics and cinematic presentation at first.  You will think this game is the second coming of Christ.  Then in about a week the light will shine down and you will see just how bad this game really is.

Good luck and have fun while it lasts.  It is free after all.

The only thing you mentioned was content. You are right there is hardly any of it at the moment. The leves are repetitive and boring and the Stroy line quests are too spread out in rank. The only thing they have fixed so far is the UI, market place functionality, and SP gains. Don't play if you are looking for content because it just isn't there right now. If you want to get a head in ranks go a head and play. It's your call.