Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AO current Balancing of PvP: no discussion concerning "Fun" factor

Man,

I have mixed feeling about the current state of the game. AO is currently trying to balance out all professions based on PvP.

And I have come to the point of not even commenting on the main forums because of all the Forum Trolls coming out of the wood work giving thier opinions on how to destroy or nerf other classes that they are not interested in playing. Its kind of sad really.

The thing that is missing in all this development adjusting and balancing, is the FUN factor in playing a specific class that got adjusted for pvp balance.

There is NO discussion on FUN. You can completely change a profession and balance it out (which, Im fine with), but if its not fun to play then it really doesn't matter.  No one is discussing (including the Developers) about how fun the class will be to play with the new changes. All I see on the main forums is nerf this, adjust this, and balance out that...... End the end, no discussion from either side is talking about "how this changes will make the profession more fun to play.

And just to give insight on this thread: I play a Trader...

And Traders now do not seem fun..... I wish the balancing included FUN in it. ....

Anyway, got that off my chest. Thanks...

Comments

• ArnuphisArnuphis Member Posts: 103

My main was a bureaucrat and my experience of PvP was as follows:

Enter 25% suppression gas zone.

Oh I can't charm other players?

Exit 25% suppression gas zone. 

The end.

I remember Traders/MAs/Soldiers/Agents used to have a great time in PvP, what are they changing?

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

changes means progression,atleast thats what they say at ao forums,I dont know who they are,but thats what they say.

those are so super changes that they dont need to explain why,because if you do that many changes in one strike you must be superdeveloper,and superdevelopers dont need to explain anything to anyone,like how this new trader update (which makes game more fun) for people who just want more changes from superdevelopers.

Generation P

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Deleted post.

• BrezjnevBrezjnev Member UncommonPosts: 98

FC's so called "rebalancing" only fundementally changes one thing: nanos have separate (much shorter) recharge and (longer) cooldown, so you can cast other nanos where you would be locked in recharge before. The feel of using attacks, nanos and perks will stay the same, for most professions playing will become somewhat more active/involved. What is being changed are the numbers behind the actions themselves.

So if you find the current attack, nano & perk system to be fun, then you'll find the future attack, nano & perk system to be fun as well. IF your characters their toolsets aren't nerfed or broken too much, because being able to perform adequately without having to jump through loops, is a large part of the fun, so the discussions on the forums about the numbers do matter a bit.

I don't agree either how these changes are going through btw. What FC has presented so far I can only describe with one word: FUBAR.

If FC's intent was to balance the professions so all the gimp professions could actually have a chance of being invited to PUG raids, then there would be no need for a total conversion like they are presenting now, just boosts to the gimps and minor nerfs to parts of the toolsets of the prima donna profs. Instead FC is changing everything, but somehow based on what already existed: no changes to the game mechanics that were not meant to be used with post-SL/AI numbers, not adressing the AR issue, not adressing the damage-multiplier problem post 1k, without filling in or smoothing out the progression of toolsets across levels, without actually boosting the gimps,... From a game that is at present completely unbalanced, we will go to a game that will be utterly unbalanced after "rebalancing".

The developer's team that didn't see a problem with releasing farm instance after farm instance for the past 3 years and catering to their professions in updates, while useless professions were rerolling/leaving, they are now the ones that are doing the "rebalancing". If the developers were unable to understand the dynamics between the professions on live servers with thousands of players playing, then they are certainly not going to be able to understand how these changes (that so far only exist on paper) are going to work out. They could try to iron it out by repeated playtesting on the test server (the way they determine the stats for their monsters in playfields; they can't even calculate out the stats for simple hp/AR/dmg mobs without a toolset), but given the scope of what  would need to be tested and the limited amount of people available for testing (and the extremely limited amount of people available for unbiased feedback), this will never happen properly.

I personally fear that this "New Game Enhancement" could be the end of AO. Right now the looming changes are already hurting the low population a bit, since people don't want to invest time in their characters when there is this much uncertainty wether they will still be viable (fun) in the future AO. Several people in my org are going to let their accounts lapse already, while they and others are spending more of their gametime in other games. FC trying to rebalance AO now seems like their worst idea ever to me.

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177

Tarders were lame anyway. Talk about an OP class.

• OculatusOculatus Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by ANDRIOD

Tarders are OP you say, why is almost everyone who are BS PvPing an Enf?? Imo they are imba, massive HP and Massive dmg. Let's take Strupstad on RK1, he is one of the best Tarders, but still he loose to Endgame enfs, MP's and Engys, so Taarders can't be all THAT OP, maybe a matter of LTP.

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by sroenne

Originally posted by ANDRIOD

Tarders are OP you say, why is almost everyone who are BS PvPing an Enf?? Imo they are imba, massive HP and Massive dmg. Let's take Strupstad on RK1, he is one of the best Tarders, but still he loose to Endgame enfs, MP's and Engys, so Taarders can't be all THAT OP, maybe a matter of LTP.

If traders were not pvp OP in the first place FC would not be nerfing them now would they.

• project8sixproject8six Member Posts: 271

so they are balancing eh? did they put in the new gfx engine yet? can i come check that out or...

die. <3