Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift Beta event 6

2»

Comments

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Originally posted by drucygoddess

Originally posted by HorrorScope

In regards to GF>Pixels

Enjoy it while you can. But like anything, even that has a shelf life.

Not for all, some of us get better with age. ;)

Yes I see it's so good for you, you frequent game forums... I know we are all men's men here. It really goes without saying. Hold on... "Yes dear, I'll be down in a second to take out the trash!".

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by sloeber

lolz.......my GF doesnt even use the internet....hehe but if i have to choose between playing with the GF or playing a game......GF would win big time over some pixels on a monitor.

wOOt

yeah i totally agree my girlfriend is far more exciting than any mmo.

• DuaneDogDuaneDog Member UncommonPosts: 1

I've got several friends myself in WoW that I'm having a hard time to even get them to take the time to  try the RIFT BETA... A lot of the problem is that my friends don't have a lot of time and their guilds and people on WoW make it hard for them to try other things. For RIFT it's hard to sell much like a great new website that does much of what Facebook does would be hard to sell. WoW has momentum because people make relationships on the server with their guild... even during the 5th RIFT beta two full nights I was in WoW becuase my friends were there and they had quests they wanted to do and making lots of progress themselves.  Luckily I was able to spend full days in RIFT while they were working!!! :)

On the flip side though... RIFT is far from perfect. After leveling 6 characters now on RIFT it really starts to feel repetitive and the quests all the same. The depth of content is not even at the level the very first WoW was at in my opinion...Only two starting areas and you don't really branch out in quests structures until past level 16. Even then it feels constrained.  it's a very very fun game and I really like it a lot... I'm trying to get all my WoW friends to try it.  But I already know that it won't replace all other MMORPG's out there because there is just not enough content for alt characters. For those who just want to level one or two characters RIFT will not feel so thin. Still I'm optimisic though because the RIFT foundation is rock solid. Then engine is in many ways better than WoW. But I think the best of something like RIFT will be in 2-3 years from now when they have more content and have balanced things out.

• AzmoAzmo Member Posts: 25

Well written first post, Duane Dog. Welcome to the fray. You are correct about momentum, and the WoW = Facebook analogy is perfect, I am stealing that in my explanations as well.

I am glad to see this beta on a weekend. These are fun events, but they are not beta tests in the traditional sense. They are stress tests and marketing, but well done in both those regards.

The real test of an MMO is multifaceted. Launch has to be good and then sustained by subscriptions and additional content. Bad launch almost always equals failure. I am pretty sure Rift is going to have a good launch. They have my subscription monies, and I am on board, but it is difficult to build brand loyalty in this genre. Time will tell.

Since the name of this beta is Planar War, I think they will continue to ratchet up the invasions adn their contest is encouraging participation in the Rift Events for the promise of a chance of real world video card drop goodness. Roll need or greed on the gtx 460?

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

They've really done a good job with this game. Can't wait for headstart. I'm 27 years old now, and staying up for 72 consecutive hours isn't really my thing anymore, but I may have to make an exception. I already took vacation, and already told my wife that I'm going to sit in my cave for a week straight. Sigh, it's unhealthy, but whatever.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Alright!!! I need someone to use some magic and make it Friday! Like now!

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• xax68xax68 Member UncommonPosts: 14

Girlfriend=Beta      Married=Endgame

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by marzatplay

OMG your wife's ok with you playing MMO's? LUCKY YOU! Mine's so anti MMO gaming, but puts up with the addiction.

Marrying a fellow MMO gamer has its problems too. Like, for example, trying to break it to your wife that you are leaving WoW to play Rift.

Phase 1 is complete, however. Got my wife into Beta 5. She said it was only OK, but later that same day, I caught her playing while I was upstairs doing homework. Just OK indeed!

Joined - July 2004

• athandashivaathandashiva Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by DuaneDog

I've got several friends myself in WoW that I'm having a hard time to even get them to take the time to  try the RIFT BETA... A lot of the problem is that my friends don't have a lot of time and their guilds and people on WoW make it hard for them to try other things. For RIFT it's hard to sell much like a great new website that does much of what Facebook does would be hard to sell. WoW has momentum because people make relationships on the server with their guild... even during the 5th RIFT beta two full nights I was in WoW becuase my friends were there and they had quests they wanted to do and making lots of progress themselves.  Luckily I was able to spend full days in RIFT while they were working!!! :)

On the flip side though... RIFT is far from perfect. After leveling 6 characters now on RIFT it really starts to feel repetitive and the quests all the same. The depth of content is not even at the level the very first WoW was at in my opinion...Only two starting areas and you don't really branch out in quests structures until past level 16. Even then it feels constrained.  it's a very very fun game and I really like it a lot... I'm trying to get all my WoW friends to try it.  But I already know that it won't replace all other MMORPG's out there because there is just not enough content for alt characters. For those who just want to level one or two characters RIFT will not feel so thin. Still I'm optimisic though because the RIFT foundation is rock solid. Then engine is in many ways better than WoW. But I think the best of something like RIFT will be in 2-3 years from now when they have more content and have balanced things out.

If your friends in WoW can't spare a few hours to even log into Rift then they're not playing WoW, they're working a second job in WoW.

I gotta ask.  Why would you level 6 characters through the same starting content?  I could understand 4, one for each calling.   Even if you wanted 4 in each faction that would still only be 4 times through a particular set of quests.  Not to mention once out of the tutorial area you don't have to do any more quests, ever, unless you want to since you can level through PvP, dungeons, and Rifts.

The mechanics of Rift mean you don't need alt characters.  If you want to try out all warrior classes you need 1 character, not 8 not 54 but 1.  The only reason to do a second warrior ever would be if you wanted different looks (race) or to play the other faction.

• drucygoddessdrucygoddess Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Alright!!! I need someone to use some magic and make it Friday! Like now!

Ah another sufferer of the fatal Riftdrawls...image

I to am a fellow sufferer, It was friday yesterday already gimmie Rift, NAWWW!! image