Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Max level confirmed (well as much as can be possible)

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

So while lurking the swtor forums again (yes i do this a lot and a lot of my starting posts start off this way)

I found this nice little quote from Damion Schubert:

As of this moment, max level is 50. This is unlikely to change before we ship, but you know, the usual qualifiers apply.

Take that for what you will.

Link is here for confirmation (just in case anyone thought i made it up ;P)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=256912

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

Great find mate. Keep it up :)

• WepsyWepsy Member Posts: 59

Just hope its not one where you'll lvl to 50 in 3 days.

"He's no good to me dead."

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

I'm fine with 50 as a cap, It should take awhile lvl cap as well.

This also leaves room for future expansions to increase the lvl add more content ..etc.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

Good Good :) And like others have said.. I hope it takes roughly a year or so to get to it.. Honestly there would be allot fewer people complaining about no end game content in games if they weren't capping in a week.. :)

Tbh I'm not too bothered about the lvl cap. I hope all other contents of the game are top notch, to add a little distraction to lvling like the PBS, hoping for that to be in for a bit of fun.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Wepsy

Just curious, how long should it take to hit 50?  I'll base this on my first foray into WoW.  It took me 3 months of regular play every day to hit 60 in vanilla wow.  That being on a brand new toon, and learning the game.  Now after knowing the game it takes about 2 weeks to a month tops.  So for me, I hope it takes about a month at least to hit 50.  That's with varying playtimes of 2-8 hour stretches.

Originally posted by elocke

Just curious, how long should it take to hit 50?  I'll base this on my first foray into WoW.  It took me 3 months of regular play every day to hit 60 in vanilla wow.  That being on a brand new toon, and learning the game.  Now after knowing the game it takes about 2 weeks to a month tops.  So for me, I hope it takes about a month at least to hit 50.  That's with varying playtimes of 2-8 hour stretches.

However long you want to take really. Just saying hope its not like one of those where you max out in a few days. I'm sure it's not though. I agree with you on WoW, I was kinda the same actually prob more than 3 months to top lvl.

• xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298

Im sure it will take a reasonable amount of time - because you still have to include the factors that doing the story missions and listening to all the quests etc for however long they may be will all contribute to how long it might take. I "think" i saw a post, ahh ages ago now that Bioware said how long of voice acting they have in the game.

Then include hopefully all the sidequests, and other activities that might be announced (side games i hope! hehe) and so on.

We will see. But i don't want a lvl 50 cap in about 2 weeks, that would be abit disappointing.

Well, let's not forget that just because 50 is the cap that the game "ends" there.  Hopefully there is a ton of stuff to do at level cap giving even more playtime to a character.  Please, Bioware, make it more than the common WoW formula of run dungeons for rep and gear over and over and over and....   you get the idea.  Give us some meat at endgame.  Not that I mind raiding, but it better not be the ONLY thing to do, a la WoW.

• erebus890erebus890 Member Posts: 46

I think I knew this for quite some time now, but 50 is a pretty good level cap. I think they've mentioned somewhere before that class stories should be around 200 hours long. Which is pretty good, because I can get to lvl 85 on WoW in about 250 hours or less.

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

Been playing EQ2 for 6 years now and I'm still not at the level 90.....It's the journey not the destination

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Don't really care about the destination on this game, just want an entertaining journey getting there. :)

Edit*  Lol posted at the same time as Raora.

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by whilan

So while lurking the swtor forums again (yes i do this a lot and a lot of my starting posts start off this way)

I found this nice little quote from Damion Schubert:

As of this moment, max level is 50. This is unlikely to change before we ship, but you know, the usual qualifiers apply.

Take that for what you will.

Link is here for confirmation (just in case anyone thought i made it up ;P)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=256912

Just smart.

any number that wow has max-leveled finds swtor guilty of rehashing.. any number after or above wow would be guilty of intentionally trying to be bigger/better (thus making it just look like Pepsi trying to catch Coke)

50 gives the feeling of starting fresh AND in case they do have expansions and get into the "wow levels"  you have to throw it up to the numeric system.

I want to own property too

Originally posted by Raora

Been playing EQ2 for 6 years now and I'm still not at the level 90.....It's the journey not the destination

And you picked EQ2's journey as your example?  Ugh, I stopped that "journey" at level 53 due to boredom.  Best "journey" game I've ever played was FFXI and LOTRO and maybe some parts of the WoW leveling experience.  Endgame DOES matter though, as eventually that "journey" comes to an end and it better have something worth making the journey for.  Real easy way to realize this is to look at a game that has NO endgame yet.  FFXIV.  So is that "journey" still good or not?  I think it sucks because it makes the journey pointless.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Max level of 50 right now doesn't sound too bad unless they go the route of "City of Heroes" and not extend that max level at some point AND have no real endgame content for six years.  Before the CoX fans jump me you need to know that I am still subscribed to that game even after more than six years of playing, but the end game content they just started implementing was put off for far too long.

As long as SWTOR makes getting to 50 fun and keeps the tempo a lot slower than WoW so we can actually feel like we accomplish something when we level, then I don't have a problem with a max level of 50 for launch and maybe a while after.  Personally though, I am tired of "Hey, let's do a dungeon so I can level once or twice", way too easy.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• VegasGamblerVegasGambler Member Posts: 34

Level 50 works for me... I certain we will need something to do at the end though so don't rush to get there.  Unless of course your goal is to have 5 level 50s in that case you should get started.  I had 3 level 80s, a 75 and 72 (others not worth mentioning) before WoW tapped me out completely.  Let us hope Bioware gives us something worth both in journey and in destination.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Level 50 is a good starting point. With the 200 hours of actual story to play through as well as all the other aspects. There should be plenty to keep us busy for a while.

One thing we tend to forget though is that many of us are 'expert' MMO players at this point. There is no learning curve for most of us anymore. We know all we need to know to play any MMO. So leveling is easy no matter what the mechanics of the game are.

So we should all expect that some players will reach end game within weeks if not days by power gaming. And that is in any themepark MMO, excluding real time skill leveling in sandbox games. For me what will matter the most is the game play and story that BW can bring. That is what I am looking forward to regardless of level cap. End game features will just by icing on the cake.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by erebus890

I think I knew this for quite some time now, but 50 is a pretty good level cap. I think they've mentioned somewhere before that class stories should be around 200 hours long. Which is pretty good, because I can get to lvl 85 on WoW in about 250 hours or less.

With heirloom shoulders & chest (+20% XP gain) plus being in a guild having the Fast Track perk (+5/+10% XP) it will take you much less than 250 hours. My worgen warrior went from 1 to 80 in about 80 hours.

About TOR's level cap, i don't really care. What i want is an eventful and memorable journey from 1 to cap. And i believe that Bioware will deliver this. 

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by Shodanas

Originally posted by erebus890

With heirloom shoulders & chest (+20% XP gain) plus being in a guild having the Fast Track perk (+5/+10% XP) it will take you much less than 250 hours. My worgen warrior went from 1 to 80 in about 80 hours.

About TOR's level cap, i don't really care. What i want is an eventful and memorable journey from 1 to cap. And i believe that Bioware will deliver this. 

... and then someone went from 80 to 85 in couple days of non stop playing, so adding another say 50 hours to it.  So that would be 130 hours of gameplay. (Yes, yesm I count level 85 for WoW cause there are massive xp bonus on the previous levels as they want people to level up somewhat fast). As you were using heirlooms, a player with no heirlooms (so a new player) would take 20% more time, bringing the total to 153 hours, about. Did you craft/gather in that time too or was it just quest quest quest?

Anyway the 200 hours per class of SW:TOR looks quite promising!

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• JathJath Member Posts: 45

So here's a question for you guys. Just as ma sight for myself. Is there anyone else here that thinks like me where they should have kept the SWG progression system, where it wasn't necessarily levels per say, but you gained experience and trained into whatever you wanted?

Just was wondering.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

There will be those that will propably achieve this goal aswell :)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Fusion

There will be those that will propably achieve this goal aswell :)

Very true . . . and I feel sorry for them.  Personally, I agree with something a previous poster said, it's the journey not the end that is the most fun.  Granted that is my own personal feelings, but you miss so much rushing through that you actually miss the real game and only see a shell.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Jath

So here's a question for you guys. Just as ma sight for myself. Is there anyone else here that thinks like me where they should have kept the SWG progression system, where it wasn't necessarily levels per say, but you gained experience and trained into whatever you wanted?

Just was wondering.

There won't be as much freedom to train in "whatever you want", but you can implement such a system while having "levels". As far as I know, character customization in terms of abilities and capabilities in TOR are refined to combat specializations and crafting professions. Everything else is likely determined by the quality and stat bonuses of your gear (perhaps you'll get points to put into certain attributes, like Strength, Constitution, etc., each time you level, or they may just increase by a predetermined amount. No confirmation either way, as far as I know).

Edit: To GMan3's comment above, they're also the ones who complain that the game is "lacking content", of course.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I was 50 in less then 3 weeks on WOW, but ofcourse that is post-WOTK.. Took me around 2-3 months of constant elite grinding to hit cap in AION.. I'am more of a fan of longer leveling as long as it is done right.. I think MMO's should be more about the ride to end-game content rather then end-game being where the "beef" of the game starts.. Because honestly most MMO's have promised an extensive end-game but have fallen short on that promise, and the levels inbetween felt rushed because it was done like this.. Point in case is DCUO.. And honestly after playing Rift i'am afraid the leveling curve might be to quick in that MMO too..

But alast it'll more then likley be a speedy lvling curve, because thats what us western MMO players have gotten used to.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Comnitus

Originally posted by Jath

Just was wondering.

There won't be as much freedom to train in "whatever you want", but you can implement such a system while having "levels". As far as I know, character customization in terms of abilities and capabilities in TOR are refined to combat specializations and crafting professions. Everything else is likely determined by the quality and stat bonuses of your gear (perhaps you'll get points to put into certain attributes, like Strength, Constitution, etc., each time you level, or they may just increase by a predetermined amount. No confirmation either way, as far as I know).

Edit: To GMan3's comment above, they're also the ones who complain that the game is "lacking content", of course.

I honestly hope they keep TOR1&2's type of lvling in place.. Giving you a few stats to alocate every few levels in strength, const, dex, ect.. But i know it'll prolly not be this way because of balanceing issues and the fact that it looks like they are going the WoW-esque skill tree route.. Then again i could be wrong.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta