Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a new game!

DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Hey,

I have been playing MMO's for about 6 years now. I started with guild wars which was great fun then moved to something a little more hardcore with Aion. I have been playing aion for well over a year now and its a great game (despite the obvious grind), however I think its time for a new game. Ideally its to fill the gap until GW2,

I have been tossing up between WaR and LoTRO, but was wandering are there any others out there that are worth exploring?

Comments

• TalinguardTalinguard Member UncommonPosts: 676

Originally posted by Durray

Hey,

I have been playing MMO's for about 6 years now. I started with guild wars which was great fun then moved to something a little more hardcore with Aion. I have been playing aion for well over a year now and its a great game (despite the obvious grind), however I think its time for a new game. Ideally its to fill the gap until GW2,

I have been tossing up between WaR and LoTRO, but was wandering are there any others out there that are worth exploring?

The MMO experience is extremely diverse.  If you want an intelligent answer to this question, you might want to tell people what it is your looking for in a game.  What elements of the game you enjoy....

Just my .02

Presentation for new MMORPG economics concept http://www.slideshare.net/talin/mmo-economics-concept-v-10

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

DDO is pretty fun and have a lot in common with GW. 

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

If you think Aion is "hardcore" then maybe try to get a beta key and give Rift a shot.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

If you like Aion, you might like Warhammer. The character customization is not as good. It is much much more focused on PvP and you can actually have large PvP battles without the server crying. Unlike Aion, there are a lot more choices in how to play a character, you can have DPS healers if you really want.

Lotro, I know less about long term. Played it with a friend who was totally new to MMOs and frankly I found it too easy to the point of boring. However, I think if you like story lines, it might be really good.

If you've never checked out EVE you owe it to yourself to do so. It feels more like another world than a game. however, you are still stuck in a space ship and space can be lonely.

I'm still subscribed to Fallen Earth. It has been one of my favorite games ever. You really feel like an apocalypse survivor - its hard to find gas, bullets, food. That being said, the game is not set up great for grouping. Fast travel is limited, quests are not really grindable, so people are just spread out across the huge huge map. I mean you see people all the time, but there isn't a big incentive to group up except for PvP.

Also enjoying DCUO, though its new and content is somewhat getting burned through quickly for me. Still, some of the best small group and 1 on 1 pvp I've had since GW was new.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200

Play Ultima Online, I am still going after 13 years and of all the online games i have played, I have the fondess memories of UO out of ANY other game, it's still going strong.. Atlantic server is very popular one to play on..

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Thanks for the comments so far I think I might try some beta's/trials!

Just to add, I do love proper RvR *when it works* I have been on AIon where the abyss and taking forts is great. But the servers are so unbalanced there is no challenge, and you end up not able to take forts without the other side raging on the forums... You feel as though the end game looks amazing but is strangely hollow. That said I have some of the best mass PvP experiences ever on Aion.

I hear WaR is like this? But also has inbalance across servers and (had?) a lot of problems with mass pvp.  As well as also slowly dying, i checked the forums its not a pretty sight. 

I like some PvE to keep me sane, I don't mind some grinding (no more then Aion though please!) so it doesn't have to be amazing.    

What is the rift PvP like in comparison?