Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift going to get NGE like SWG did?

ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

SWG had many different classes (profession might be the right word for that game). After some time SOE had problems making them balanced, later they cut them down to 9 (I think). You could no longer mix profession and was forced to be Bounty Hunter, Jedi, Spy etc. 

Rift also have a lot of classes, do you guys think the Devs can handle them all? Or will we see a New Game Experiance for this game also later on?

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

They'll probably handle them. Their priority is not an arena style gameplay, thus the PvP doesn't need to be balanced towards 1vs1 encounters. And that's where all the balance basically boils down to. PvE wise it doesn't matter if you have overpowered classes or not.

The lack of damage meters (for now) will help with trimming down the e-peen bragging and nagging to semi acceptable levels (hopefully).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Rift only have 4 very diverse classes. While it is some work to balance them it isn't enough to NGE it.

Besides, SWG got NGEd just after Wow released, probably to ride on Wows success. And it didn't exactly turn out good for them.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Originally posted by Xasapis

They'll probably handle them. Their priority is not an arena style gameplay, thus the PvP doesn't need to be balanced towards 1vs1 encounters. And that's where all the balance basically boils down to. PvE wise it doesn't matter if you have overpowered classes or not.

The lack of damage meters (for now) will help with trimming down the e-peen bragging and nagging to semi acceptable levels (hopefully).

there already are some.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Are you talking about the EQ2 parser?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

What are you talking about? Rift IS like NGE for SWG.

By that I mean, it is dumbed down, easy and linear with limited freedom. Actuall 9 out of 10 MMORPGs are like that so cant really blame Rift for joining the club.

Anyway, what made NGE bad is that it fundamentally changed an existing game pretty much without consulting the existing playerbase. 

As for the soul system, it is not that hard to balance because it is not like being a Warrior/Rogue/Mage. It is more like several different flavors of the same base class. 

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Wow op Im not sure if your serous or what.

Rift is nothing like swg.  You have 4 classes that are diverse due to the soul tree,  and really they recommend those 4 class uses certain soal.   Most of those folks are going to use the cookie cutter flavor of the month soul combo.  In fact in the beta test so far most fighter classes are picking up beast master as a secondary trait.  While some are picking that up as a main trait under the mage roll.

They don't have to balance that much as really the souls are already quite bland, and most of them have the same icons and what not.

I don't see them changing the soal system, in fact the only think I have seen is some of the icons have changes for some attacks per some of the feedback being sent in.

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116

PvE wise it doesn't matter if you have overpowered classes or not.

Rift is targeting WoW refugees. Overpowered classes in PvE mean quite a bit to them. 

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by ShredderSE

SWG had many different classes (profession might be the right word for that game). After some time SOE had problems making them balanced, later they cut them down to 9 (I think). You could no longer mix profession and was forced to be Bounty Hunter, Jedi, Spy etc. 

Rift also have a lot of classes, do you guys think the Devs can handle them all? Or will we see a New Game Experiance for this game also later on?

Actually the reason the NGE happened is because WoW released, got huge numbers and LA/SOE figured that if they changed SWG to be more inline with WoW players would start pouring in.

Instead what they did was take a game that was liked for what it did, line it's playerbase up and kick each and everyone of them in the gonads and laugh. Then they sat back and wondered why everyone started leaving faster than before...

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by Dalano

PvE wise it doesn't matter if you have overpowered classes or not.

Rift is targeting WoW refugees. Overpowered classes in PvE mean quite a bit to them. 

Damn right it does. Maximizing what classes you bring to clear content means everything.

Rift needs to be balanced pve wise.

With that said... No Rift wont be NGE lol.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• RudderRudder Member UncommonPosts: 80

Hopefully Trion is not like SoE. SoE changes it's game IMHO - I saw SWG and EQ2 changed after I'd sunk a bunch of time playing those games.