Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Think Hackers have taken over Turbine

I got this very strange email from turbine at 5pm today check out the date.

from Turbine Inc
reply-to [email protected]
to [email protected]
date Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:43 PM
subject MyAccount @ Turbine: The Lord of the Rings Online(tm) Subscription Upgraded

hide details 7/8/10

Hello ****,

You have successfully upgraded your The Lord of the Rings Online(tm) : "****" subscription.

Your access to the Beta for The Lord of the Rings Online™ has been granted. You now have access to the Beta.

You are currently a Lifetime Member and this subscription will not expire.

To manage your Turbine Account, log in with your username, "******" (without quotes), at:

https://myaccount.turbine.com/

Thank you,
Turbine Account Team

---
Copyright (c) 2005-2010 Turbine, Inc. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Comments

• driver4hiredriver4hire Member UncommonPosts: 78

Did they randomly just give you a lifetime membership or did you already have one?  It would be pretty sweet if they just accidedntly gave you one lol

Currently playing : World of Tanks, LoL
    Waiting for: The game of my dreams
    Played: Everything
    Favorites being Eve, UO and SWG Pre-CU

• killer092005killer092005 Member UncommonPosts: 26

.....well thats not good, did you check to see if it was a fake email? If it isn't, I better check my account

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I find it funny you been invited to the beta test.

However we all know that turbine been down all day, this means all their websites, games, forums and the works.

So yes sounds like you been hacked, they been hacked and I woiuld guess the entier database and pasword structure has been comprimised.

I guess I will have to go change some pw's now

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Yea I checked  and its a real email, I have a lifetime account the thing is I've had a lifetime account since the game first came out this is acting like I upgraded my account.

I definately suggest people changing passwords soon as myaccounts has been verified to be back in the hands of turbine.

• VosperVosper Member UncommonPosts: 57

I'll guess the link that it's asking you to log in thru is fake - a phishing attempt to get your account information (for whatever reason).

Hopefully you've not clicked it, and used another, correct link for checking your Turbine account.

Edit - looks like I replied just after you did.  So it's real? If their websites been having troubles, maybe their server kicked out an old message.

• ctshamectshame Member Posts: 104

Its a fake email made to look real, then it takes you to a site that looks exactly like the real one, turbine didnt get hacked its just a fake email to trick people into giving away their info. I get these all the time from fake blizzards, ncsofts, and etc. Change your password and quick!

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Yea they have been hacked there is discussion about it on the Ascheron's Call forum with a GM comment that they are aware and are looking into it but a " do not be concerned your account information is not at risk "

however the hacker/hackers have been changing front pages on the game websites

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

While they have had problems with the servers, if you have used the internet at all you should realize that there are many, many phony emails send in order to trick you. For instance, I get about a dozen emails about my WoW account every day, despite not having a WoW account. And all the business opportunities...and foreign women who want to marry me...

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368

Well since I was hacked last week, and Turbine only gave me 42 gold to replace 3 years worth of work and effort, I find this comical.

They told me it was my fault and not their responsibility to ensure my account was secure. Since I was a lifetime/Founder I suppose it was a good run and I certainly got my money’s worth but pissing on your customers and telling them to “kick rocks” is just a bad policy when it comes to getting your account hacked.

I guess even the almighty Turbine can be vulnerable even though I know they would never actually admit to any kind of security breach. Well I guess Karma can be a fothermucker.

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• thenamthenam Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by jblah

Well since I was hacked last week, and Turbine only gave me 42 gold to replace 3 years worth of work and effort, I find this comical.

They told me it was my fault and not their responsibility to ensure my account was secure. Since I was a lifetime/Founder I suppose it was a good run and I certainly got my money’s worth but pissing on your customers and telling them to “kick rocks” is just a bad policy when it comes to getting your account hacked.

I guess even the almighty Turbine can be vulnerable even though I know they would never actually admit to any kind of security breach. Well I guess Karma can be a fothermucker.

It took them three weeks to reimburse me, recently, when my account was compromised. For it to have taken that long, the account hacking must be out of control, making me wonder what is going on. I still have no idea how it happened to me. I'm a lifelong gamer, and this is the first account compromise of any kind that i've experienced, in any game (and I don't even play Lotro as much as other games!). Even the official forums seemed to be innundated with threads about the hacking problem and they ended up asking people to post to a consolidated thread bout account security.

I'm thankful that only gold was lost, in my case. None of my items were vendored/lost.

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by jblah

Well how i see it thats good looking out for Turbine. I know Rmts have infested mmo communites. FF 11 had that for  while  saying that your account was about to be cancel and would send you to a bogus site where they could hack your account. Blizzard was the same way . Ive been playing for a while and havent had any real issues with Turbine.  Chars and items can always be ressetted and replaced,but account info once they have that your screwed. Be thankful for the 42 gp  anyother mmo company would have shit and pissed all over you.

Edgar F Greenwood

Originally posted by Sorrow

I got this very strange email from turbine at 5pm today check out the date. from Turbine Inc reply-to [email protected] to [email protected] date Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:43 PM subject MyAccount @ Turbine: The Lord of the Rings Online(tm) Subscription Upgraded hide details 7/8/10 Hello ****, You have successfully upgraded your The Lord of the Rings Online(tm) : "****" subscription. Your access to the Beta for The Lord of the Rings Online™ has been granted. You now have access to the Beta. You are currently a Lifetime Member and this subscription will not expire. To manage your Turbine Account, log in with your username, "******" (without quotes), at: https://myaccount.turbine.com/ Thank you, Turbine Account Team --- Copyright (c) 2005-2010 Turbine, Inc. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

If you ever used the cash shop  thats not how the send there email conformation. Watch out for Blizzard too if you have a wow account. Hackers are everywhere in the MMO communities,  Sad very sad .

Edgar F Greenwood

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by huskerman34

If you ever used the cash shop  thats not how the send there email conformation. Watch out for Blizzard too if you have a wow account. Hackers are everywhere in the MMO communities,  Sad very sad .

I played WoW for less than a month at release and have never logged back in , yet I go through spells of getting "phishing "emails every few months. Seems like for a month or so I  get 3 or 4 a day, then nothing for 6 months then it will all start over again. Same thing with my Cryptic account but not quite as often or long.

I can honestly say that the only 2 MMO accounts I have never recieved any phishing spam on is SOE and Turbine.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog

Originally posted by huskerman34

I played WoW for less than a month at release and have never logged back in , yet I go through spells of getting "phishing "emails every few months. Seems like for a month or so I  get 3 or 4 a day, then nothing for 6 months then it will all start over again. Same thing with my Cryptic account but not quite as often or long.

I can honestly say that the only 2 MMO accounts I have never recieved any phishing spam on is SOE and Turbine.

excuse my writing  bad sentence structure

Edgar F Greenwood