Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard, will it ever be F2P SoE?

KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

For a year ago I played Vanguard and I can tell you that I likedi t ALOT! I don't know, but I got a strange feeling from the game, because of the atmosphere, which I liked. I really want to play the game, but since it is dead (right?), I don't feel like I wanna play...

If they make it F2P then it will be more populated, so I wonder 2 things:

1. Is the game dead? Explain

2. Any "new" news about a F2P launch, or will it be F2P?

Have a nice day!

Comments

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

There is now one NA server and one EU server.  I play on the NA server in a large guild so there is never a lack of people to do things with usually 20 to 30 of us on at any given time.  There are allot of end game guilds and I still see plenty of people leveing up and looking for groups at lower level.  The server load is always at about medium dipping to low in off hours..  I think having one server in each sphere properly supports the active subs and gives us plenty to do.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Well it needs a population boost thats for sure.

Sadly i cant seem to get Vanguard to run right on any of my systems.

Which pisses me off because i can run damn near everything on High/ultra with my desktop and medium/high with my laptop.

Vanguard is like a slide show no matter what i try :(

So even if it goes F2p ill sadly have to skip it.

kinda sucks.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by alderdale

There is now one NA server and one EU server.  I play on the NA server in a large guild so there is never a lack of people to do things with usually 20 to 30 of us on at any given time.  There are allot of end game guilds and I still see plenty of people leveing up and looking for groups at lower level.  The server load is always at about medium dipping to low in off hours..  I think having one server in each sphere properly supports the active subs and gives us plenty to do.

Well, since I live in Sweden I want to play on a European server, but if like 70% play on NA server, then I take that one. 

Is the playerbase much higher on the NA server? The problem is the worldclock, and I am like 9+/- hours before/after you....

Could you do a summary of the game? 

- Will it take long time to get to highest level?

- How is end game? PvP and raids active?

- Is the game grindy?

- How is the comunity?

and so on.....

I want to join a big guild and just have fun with others in a fun game, then I am pleased :)

Thanks for all info by the way!

• arcsurarcsur Member UncommonPosts: 37

Originally posted by sladden27

Well, since I live in Sweden I want to play on a European server, but if like 70% play on NA server, then I take that one. 

Is the playerbase much higher on the NA server? The problem is the worldclock, and I am like 9+/- hours before/after you....

Could you do a summary of the game? 

- Is the game grindy?

- How is the comunity?

and so on.....

I want to join a big guild and just have fun with others in a fun game, then I am pleased :)

Thanks for all info by the way!

Hi, im from EU so i may help.

I started trial on EU server which was kinda abandoned. A US player told me to check US server and i did and even on trial island there were 5x more players. So i subbed for the US server. Since then i have no problems finding groups but i always have to TRY. Its not like in other games, where i put up LFG and i get an invite. I have to actively look for groups/players in the /who tool and ask them to let me in, but 90% of my playtime i am in groups. In GMT 15:00-20:00 weeksdays its usually OK population, with about 10-20 players playing on all level ranges, i know its not a lot, but you can find a group and thats enough if you dont want to be alone.

To your questions:

I am only lvl 30 but i can tell you, compared to WoW or other high-fashion MMOs the leveling time is about 5x slower. But the content is also 5x more. So for example at lvl 30 there are about 8-10 dungeons with 2-3 hours completition time where i could go if i find a group. This means lot of adventures while you level up. I even skipped at least the half of it, but oh well.

Theres no PVP sadly, because they shut down and merged the last PVP server. IF population would drastically rise, and SOE would start to support the game, im sure the first server opened would be a PVP server, but thats a dream. Guilds raid a lot, theres plenty raid content, my guildies told me that there are about 30-40 end game raid bosses farmable. There are also high-end epic long questlines (20+ steps) which takes loooong time to finish.

- Is the game grindy?

In some ways yes, but i tell you what is this "grind" exatly. The leveling time is long so you need to do a lot of things to level up. You need to go to the deepest parts of dungeons with groups which takes 2+ hours in some cases, some people call that a grind. Well i dont, i rather enjoy it. On the other hand there are some quests with rare quest drops which takes a LOT time to get. For example 3 days ago i spent 2 hours with a group in a library room, in a dungeon to get 3-3 quest items for every member in the group. After 90 mins it became boring, but then comes something which you never experience in todays MMOs, we started to talk. And socialize. It really felt like a group of adventurers who talk with each other and start to know each other in the "calm" periods of the day.

- How is the comunity?

Vanguard community is like this: You join a group, they are doing a 6 step quest. They are at step 4. You tell them that you are a noob, you dont know where is the dungeon, you dont know how to get there, so one of them teleports out for you, shows you where to get quest step 1, and takes you to the dungeon. Then after some time, without you asking for anything, they offer to make you the step 1-4 so you can do the quest with them. At the end when you finish, they tell you to have fun, and send them a tell anytime you want to group next.

- All in all?

Vanguard is a slower paced game then most of todays MMOs. Its not all about killing stuff. In 60% of my time i am killing with a group, in 10% i am killing solo, 10% i am LFG, 10% i am traveling and enjoying the atmosphere, and scenery, and 10% i am socializing, talking with people, helping others, others helping me. It is huge, and i can tell you that after 30 levels, i have more hotkeys then in wow at level 85, so i can imagine endgame PVE is complex. Anyways PVE is challenging, but not frustrating, even with the death penalty, but again if you are used to fashion MMOs, then it may be too hard, or frustrating for you. It is like the older MMOrpg titles, but with some modernish boost like quests, flying mounts, and traveling stones. I dont like these boosts but i can live with it. If there were a high populated PVP server, it would be epic, there are huge cities which could be sieged, there are factions, castles, forts, keeps to conquer. I love PVP and i cant imagine what could here be if people would start to play it.

Any questions. Fire away.

• BaiameBaiame Member UncommonPosts: 143

Excellent post above.  VG is not dead.  It needs a new "home" to make it though as SOE has not supported this game for about a year now.  EQ Next might be the next hope for VG fans...but we'll see about that.  I still find groups if I take a moment to look.  Certain cities have decent populations running about while others are ghost towns.  Still, even without SOE's support, VG offers tons upon tons of content.  It is indeed an old school game.  MMO's seem to be moving away from the old school feel of games and moving in the WOW direction.  I also play Darkfall.  It does have a bit of the old school feel to it...but Darkfall is another game that needs a jolt...but opposite of SOE, AV is supporting their game and working hard to make improvements.  One last thought on VG...if SOE had any intentions of making this F2P, wouldn't we have heard something (ANYTHING) from SOE about this game over the past year?  It's not good business to keep your paying customers waiting...but this is SOE.  I'd love to see it go F2P...but I just don't know what good silence from SOE would do for this game. 

• xochipillixochipilli Member Posts: 31

there s nothing to do bout vanguard coz there s nothing wrong with it....

some people like it others not.... like everyting in life..... if u like it play it , if u dont like it move along..its very simple....

i could waste tons of time in this forum talkin nonsense stuffs bout others game i used to play but that at some point they did something that FOR ME it was the DEATH of the game...like everquest 2 or world of warcraft but are those games dead ? no they are still alive and keep going....but it s just me that doesnt like it anymore.....

i went from 2 games that were VERY VERY POPULATED to a game that we have 200 to 400 players online and tbh i have a lot more fun in vanguard than the others that were a lot more populated.....

people should consider that people are very emotive nowadays...and most argumentis are based on those emotions.... not the reality.... also people should learn to move along when u dont like something...its funny coz when one sees something he/she doesnt like ..... that one will waste his time sayin nonsense emotional guided things instead of lookin for something that will be adequate for him/her.....

its a mirror of a decayed society that we find ourselves nowadays....

is vanguard dead? its for the people who doesnt like it ...but its not for those who are still playin it and havin fun....you may like it or not....there s only one way to see it...tryin it....if u like it..welcome ... if u dont like it.... i hope u find something proper for u.... just be mature enough and go look for soemthing instead of wastin the time throwin rocks.. it leads to a sad lifestyle....

ow btw i hope it ll never go to a F2P coz it would lead to a lot of changes inside the game structure....and what makes vanguard fun s that old school structure.....

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

When it comes to Smed, you have to take the "believe it when I see it" stance.  The only reason people are even bringing up F2P for VG is because Smed said they're open to suggestions and will look into all possible options.  But this is the same guy that pulled all devs from Vanguard, pulled VG's fan faire panels, and has not done a single thing for the VG playerbase for a year. 

So.. will Vanguard ever be f2p?  Until it happens, it's a no.  Smed is good at getting people's hopes up so they can continue to milk and recoup their losses.  Until you see it done, don't believe a word he says.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

There is now one NA server and one EU server.

This is how Vanguard should've been from the get-go because it has such an expansive world that ALWAYS feels empty as a resut of that.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Vanguard is what it is and I do not think it will change much over the next 1-4 years.  It will probably be exactly what it is until the day SOE decides the cost outways the profit and shuts it down.  I honestly think that will be over 5 years from now.  There is not much cost involved and they probably only need 1000 active subs to stay out of the red.  Moreover, it adds to their station pass. 

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

The reason Sony baught the rights and does not support it is because they know how good it is. If Sony wants to kill it then yes F2p would be away but they would have to put in an item shop and some support. There not gonna support it. I doubt they will sell it either because it could come back to bite them.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA