Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Staves

KleirKleir Member UncommonPosts: 155

I posted an identical thread on the general discussion forum and I felt it would be better placed here.  I have no idea how to delete that thread, I apologies if I broke any rules or caused any inconvenience.  Here it is...

"I know that the website clearly shows all possible weapons for each profession, and gameplay shows that there is no auto attack or wanding (the first skill on your skill bar usually tends to be that).  Gameplay also shows that when a caster uses daggers, she never actually stabs with them, but they give her access to different spells.  So the point I am getting at is the staff...

It seems like GW2 has every weapon from every fantasy game except the polearm, which includes all spears, scythes, etc.

I have seen some ideas on other forum threads and I am basically putting those ideas together to get that staves may have polearm skins, and some professions may have melee skills when holding a staff.  

As of all of the profession releases we currently have, I would assume that guardians may be able to do so, but it wouldn't really make sense in my mind for that to happen.  And if staves could be used as polearms, why wouldn't the ranger be able to use a staff?  

I am happy to see that staves and scepters no longer "wand" as they do in the original GW, but it would still be nice to see that these weapons could have more than just magical [capabilities].  It seems like every other game (cough WoW) has martial staves, but it is like GW2 to be unlike every other game..."

"Many have eyes, but few have seen." - Goddess Lyssa

Comments

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

No.  Earlier in development, there was a polearm type spear (shown in some pictures of weapon sets) but they scrapped the idea and have commented on the matter.  The reason staves aren't used as melee weapons probably has something to do with this.

it may also have something to do with keeping ranged and melee weapons separate for the most part.  Range and melee use different attributes, and the different weapons most likely have different max values.  I don't really know anything for certain, but using my head seems to gt me some decent answers.  

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• KleirKleir Member UncommonPosts: 155

I see what you mean, I was actually just talking to a friend and figured it out as well.  Functionally polearms are no different than greatswords.  Not only that, greatswords can functionally do more than polearms can.  The other point made was that polearms can do ranged damage from up close, and they can penetrate armor.  But that was countered with the idea of separating ranged and melee as you said, so whatever a polearm can do, a bow and arrow could but even better.  

In GW polearms (spears) were thrown, but it wouldn't be realistic to have access to an unlimited supply of huge spears, or even access to more than one spear.  And the idea of throwing a spear and then retrieving it wouldn't exactly work out or be any fun at all, this isn't rs :P

So my new question is if staff skins will also include some polearm skins.  It would be nice to have a necromancer wielding a scythe.  

"Many have eyes, but few have seen." - Goddess Lyssa