Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT VS TERA

Comments

• black_ifritblack_ifrit Member Posts: 45

I vote Rift, Just watched some videos on tera and well the little fox girl that looks like shes wearing next to nothing is a no go for me.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by black_ifrit

I vote Rift, Just watched some videos on tera and well the little fox girl that looks like shes wearing next to nothing is a no go for me.

However everyone wants to tank as a Panda Warrior!!! Go panda Go!!!

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Normike

Originally posted by stayontarget

Everyone says Tera has great graphics. Really? The art style feels unbalanced to me. Like using super high resolution textures in Minecraft. It doesn't look right. 

The characters and monsters have very high polygon count and high resolution textures. But the sky is low res, the terrain is almost always very flat, and there is almost no clutter on the ground (grass, rocks, logs, etc). And then they add the oversaturated colors. The colors are even more saturated and cartoony then SWTOR. It looks like anime for teenage girls. Very strange and hard to describe.

Rift's graphics feel more balanced all around. If an MMO scene was a movie set, Rift seems complete. It feels believable. The terrain is hilly, rough, jagged and uneven, it's bump mapped, there's rocks, grass, clutter. The trees are so thick they block the sky. There's shadows everywhere. It looks realistic.

SWTOR also does a better job of making the game world look realistic than Tera. Good graphics are not just high polygon character models, armor, and mobs.

Everything you describe mostly about the artstyle is a matter of personal preferance.but really i have never seen a sky more beatifull than Tera's. The clouds are actually moving and hiding the sun and so on.Not to mention that everything is a lot more detailed than rift.

Now about the "clutter".Don't know what you mean but there is higher grass that actually moves in the direction of the wind when it blows or even leaves dropping from trees flying arround.But i guess you have just seen a few screenshots.

If you don't like little girls fighting big giants then its a completely different thing,but really there is no comparison on the graphics quality between rift and tera.

Edit: Swtor is still far away,again you cant compare pictures or youtube videos to released or almost released games.

What have you been smoking? and can I have some!! 

Gamebryo engine just does not stack up to UE3 period, and throwing in SWTOR is laughable at best.  Tor will crush any game when it comes to story delivery but it's art style has been so hotly debated due to its cartoonish looks.  Oo

The issues with Tera's graphics are just what I explained. The terrain is almost always flat, there is no bump mapping on the textures to make it look 3-dimensional. And they only use little bits of 3d grass. I've seen hundreds of screenshots and dozens of gameplay videos. I want to like Tera, character models and combat looks really fun. But I can't get over the flatness and emptiness of the terrain.

If you've seen WoW on max graphics setting, you can find massive amounts of grass, rocks, logs, plants, boxes, crates, barrels, leaves, boulders, tree stumps, etc. That is clutter. It makes the environment look real, lived in, and believable, instead sterile, artificial, and computer generated.

Even Warhammer that came out a few years ago had more hills, rocks, valleys, and uneveness to the terrain. More ground "clutter", more variety in the sky.

I prefer graphics that look like the real world was literally translated somehow into 3d art. But no place in the world looks like Tera, except a golf course. In Los Angeles or Orlando. During the summer. It really really looks artificial. Combined with the really oversaturated colors (more than SWTOR). Again, it looks cartoonish. Even with the high polygon characters. I know they are going for a certain look, more eastern anime style and easter rpg level design. But I wish they would try a little more wester rpg style and level design.

Here is Tera.  Now could you please show me some Scenery videos from Rift so we can compare.

Sightseeing and Scenery

http://www.youtube.c...ah4a07X4&fmt=22 Pegasus flight from Island of Dawn to Velika (courtesy of TF member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c...cVBtWJK4&fmt=22 Climbing on a vine on Island of Dawn (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c...4nNh1x_A&fmt=22 A bit of scenery on Island of Dawn (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c...7-bV96fc&fmt=22 Running around on Island of Dawn (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c...Q4RHaFmU&fmt=22 Sightseeing in Celestial Hills (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c...wjSDKOfs&fmt=22 Sightseeing in Valley of Titans (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c...Vu7hiZq8&fmt=22 Sightseeing in Vale of the Fang(?) (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c..._GWc7gIU&fmt=22 Sightseeing in Cactus Town (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c...9NkeaD2o&fmt=22 Sightseeing in Pora Elinu (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c...2xQ1cuyE&fmt=22 Sightseeing in Tuwangi Mire (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c...5o9lWf_I&fmt=22 Sightseeing in the Ostgarath Region(?) (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

http://www.youtube.c...z86LufUo&fmt=22 Sightseeing in the desert area in southern Arun (courtesy of TERA Fans member Cori)

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Rofl the pedobear comment on the first video had be laughing so hard, never really considered the implication of all the bears in TERA silly asian developers, at least the dwarf females aren't little girls in pigtails this time.

• trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

Rift beta saw that it is a well made firmly traditionally planted mmo, nothing wrogn with that is the sea of  crap mmos that get released. It plays well sems like it will make a lot of people happy and wil probably do well. Great god for them for not promising the universe and not delivering, all that we could ask for int his day and age.

Tera on the other hand we will have to wait to get our western mitts on it to judge, but in my opinion from the info's/videos out there and the feedback from people who have played it, it is going to stomp new ground into the mmo market. And the art and graphics are kick ass, Rifts are merely "good enough" but decidedly boring.

• DogPeeOnTreeDogPeeOnTree Member Posts: 92

whats with all the VS/VS mmo threads pff.Rift cant be competition to ANYONE if u got me clear.Its normal mmo nothink special with nice graphics and nothink new.I played alot i know wat wil happen with this dam hype about certain game.Tera is nice cause its controls i would try it but game of year is Dragon nest.

• SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

Everyone says Tera has great graphics. Really? The art style feels unbalanced to me. Like using super high resolution textures in Minecraft. It doesn't look right. 

The characters and monsters have very high polygon count and high resolution textures. But the sky is low res, the terrain is almost always very flat, and there is almost no clutter on the ground (grass, rocks, logs, etc). And then they add the oversaturated colors. The colors are even more saturated and cartoony then SWTOR. It looks like anime for teenage girls. Very strange and hard to describe.

Honestly, if you dont believe TERA is gorgeous.... have a look around in here. There are 300 of them. And they're all in HD. Enjoy.

As for the terrain being flat, that depends on location. TERA's landscape is exceedingly varied. Just look at Arcadia. Thats all just one region (out of seven) on that continent. And TERA is launching with three different continents. Sure the landscapes are a bit more whimsical or high fantasy than like say Darkfall. But it sure looks damn good. I mean just look at this..

http://hiryu.deadendthrills.com/wp-content/gallery/the-exiled-realm-of-arborea-tera/highres_screenshot_00003-2.jpg

http://hiryu.deadendthrills.com/wp-content/gallery/the-exiled-realm-of-arborea-tera/chighres_screenshot_00044.jpg

http://hiryu.deadendthrills.com/wp-content/gallery/the-exiled-realm-of-arborea-tera/highres_screenshot_00006-2.jpg

And once you throw lighting and shaders into the mix it gets even better.

Whether TERA is successful in the west is debatable, but it's graphical beauty cant be argued.

Sup.

• ShazkneeShazknee Member Posts: 81

Both games look great in their own way, it's a matter of taste, wether you think that Tera is superawesome or Rift is.

Tera's graphics look great, but we all remember another game that had amazing graphics but played poorly (AoC), which also added a new way of fighing, but still failed, new doesnt always mean better, and saying that Tera will be better due to better graphics and a new way of fighting isnt really a valid point.

It's personal preference in the end, personally I'm not into Tera's asian style mmo, watched the video of the manga chick running around a boss screaming like she came straight out of DoA, really not my style tbh, I prefere the darker atmosphere in Rift, others will without a doubt prefere Tera, and that's their prerogative.

I do find it weird and sorta childish to tell everyone what they should feel about theese 2 games, sadly we see a ton of posts doing just that theese days, going as far as insulting people who arent going to play the same game as themselves, honestly, it's like saying my favourite dish is chicken and rice, and anyone who disagrees are fools and don't know what they're talking about.

Originally posted by Shazknee

honestly, it's like saying my favourite dish is chicken and rice, and anyone who disagrees are fools and don't know what they're talking about.

Well, I mean...come on. Anyone who doesnt like chicken and rice IS a fool and doesnt know what they're talking about.

Sup.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Tera looks better by the minute. Too bad it's at least half a year away (minimum) from EU launch.

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

At least tera is presenting somthing new to the MMO market

so it's TERA for sure

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Tera is actually next gen. I played both games and Tera actually is trying to innovate, build upon and stay up to date. Rift is a game that should have been released 5+ years ago when it might have worked, it is uninspired, underwheling, and fairly braindead. It is the most generic sub par mmorpg I have ever seen out side of the korean market, and thats saying something.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by clawen

for those played both game lets take vote on it.

Rift vs Tera what is your pick of next MMO.

My vote on Tera for next gen grapic and game play. (rift still old school wow style)

I played Tera korean OB and i was not impressed, i dont like asian style, the combat is nice but after some time its the same old but with something worst..it makes you tired because everything you do requires manual aiming, i hate the mobs, did i mention i dont really like asian looking and feeling mmorpg?

So IMO Rift is way better then Tera, but thats just for me..im sure lots of people feel the same way as lots also fell the oposite, its nothing but tastes.

Originally posted by Pocahinha

My vote on Tera for next gen grapic and game play. (rift still old school wow style)

I played Tera korean OB and i was not impressed, i dont like asian style, the combat is nice but after some time its the same old but with something worst..it makes you tired because everything you do requires manual aiming, i hate the mobs, did i mention i dont really like asian looking and feeling mmorpg?

So IMO Rift is way better then Tera, but thats just for me..im sure lots of people feel the same way as lots also fell the oposite, its nothing but tastes.

This is understandable. The art style really isnt for everyone. I for one love everything about it's art style except for female armor and those god awful elin, both things I can live with. I'm also just entirely sick of tab-target games. They're so amazingly boring. If somehow both TERA and GW2 end up failing, I'm likely to just stop playing MMOs all together. They're literally both my last hopes for any sort of evolution in the genre.

Sup.

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Somnicide

Originally posted by Pocahinha

This is understandable. The art style really isnt for everyone. I for one love everything about it's art style except for female armor and those god awful elin, both things I can live with. I'm also just entirely sick of tab-target games. They're so amazingly boring. If somehow both TERA and GW2 end up failing, I'm likely to just stop playing MMOs all together. They're literally both my last hopes for any sort of evolution in the genre.

^ This exactly.

Tab targetting is an archaic combat system by modern standards and I will be glad to see the back of it in due course.

My last hopes for a long-term game are also TERA and GW2. I believe TERA is a bit of a long shot but is a stunning game from what I've seen so far.

RIFT will hopefully keep me engaged in the meantime, but I do need something a little more advanced and enhanced if I'm going to sink years into it.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Played both and i think Tera is more fun to play, it has better gfx and better combat system.

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

Rift is sometimes fun for me, sometimes very boring... I do feel like it is a patchwork of other games and wonder how long it could really hold my interest.

Tera I haven't had the chance to play yet, but it looks good. I actually like the art style, as I tend to prefer Asian themed artwork over western stuff. I hope everyone likes the game they purchase though.

Quite honestly though... For me these games come down to one thing. What game are my friends playing. MMORPGs without friends is lame to say the least.

• amilekamilek Member Posts: 2

Hard to compare games, their graphics and combat systems, when

one is zerg based

and the other is 5-man-only (no raids - no larger instances / field bosses / fortresses) and feels more like vindictus or GW1...

Im missing FFXI with perfect content balance for 3 to 64 men parties...

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

How does using a combat system from 2004/5(RYL) make TERA's combat system next gen?

Not to mention its 20000 won a month to play the game.

You people amaze me.

Originally posted by moosecatlol

How does using a combat system from 2004/5(RYL) make TERA's combat system next gen?

Not to mention its 20000 won a month to play the game.

You people amaze me.

TERA's combat is just done significantly better than RYL. Like, a lot better. Not to mention, you know...the rest of the game.

Also, TERA has the exact same pricing monthly as WoW and Aion in korea. Meaning, it's almost guaranteed to be the same as them in the west.

Sup.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by kingotnw

Rift is sometimes fun for me, sometimes very boring... I do feel like it is a patchwork of other games and wonder how long it could really hold my interest.

Tera I haven't had the chance to play yet, but it looks good. I actually like the art style, as I tend to prefer Asian themed artwork over western stuff. I hope everyone likes the game they purchase though.

Quite honestly though... For me these games come down to one thing. What game are my friends playing. MMORPGs without friends is lame to say the least.

I dunno, it isn't that hard to actually get friends in MMOs. Sure, it is somewhat more fun to move your laptops to a buddy and spend a weekend there with a case of brewski but I have a good enough time with people I learn to know in game as well.

As for which I prefer of Rift and TERA I can't say without testing TERA. It looks very good even though some of the art loke somewhat silly.

• DotnetDotnet Member UncommonPosts: 34

I love TERA, going to hammer it some more tonight I think. Miles better than WoWhammift.

• DeathIsCloseDeathIsClose Member Posts: 23

Rift is just a remake of Aika everything what they did wrong prolly is gonna be fixed there.

Aika is poor game Advertisements : PVP

In real : PVE (grind grind grind)

Hope Tera gonna be good looking forward to play it

• ShamiusShamius Member Posts: 99

I will stick to TERA... World of Rifthammer just didn't do it for me.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by Aryas

Tab targetting is an archaic combat system by modern standards and I will be glad to see the back of it in due course.

as opposed to targetting with a reticule which I remember doing in Wolfenstein in the early 90's.

There is nothing wrong with tab targeting or reticule targeting. They are just different ways to target.

Using a reticule to target in an mmo might be a recent thing that some players like but does that mean in 10 years it will be antiquated and somethign else will have to happen?

That doesn't really sound right.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo