Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why doesn't SE just give up?

nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Why don't they just apologize once more and move on to a different project.

You know what, it's just that I feel sorry for SE. I mean the devs must have worked hard, it wasn't like the devs come in for their shift and they are like "OMG this game sucks."

And now they are trying so hard again, but I feel only to fail even harder.

Comments

• Why should they apologize "once more"? They already apologized and they're working their asses off to give the players what they want. SE never gives up on their products, especially when it's a MMO and within time they'll make this into what it's supposed to be. Now, if you are too impatient and can't wait for this, just move on.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

I can't ever imagine SE giving up on FFXIV. I believe they are now heading in the right direction with the game :)

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by yokosu

Why should they apologize "once more"? They already apologized and they're working their asses off to give the players what they want. SE never gives up on their products, especially when it's a MMO and within time they'll make this into what it's supposed to be. Now, if you are too impatient and can't wait for this, just move on.

Because they've apologized and the game still sucks.

It's not a matter of impatience, it's a matter of hoping that one day dev teams will pull their collective heads out of their arses and stop releasing games that aren't ready.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97

Just bought a new rig and look forward to making FFXIV my number one MMO. At the very least until SWTOR comes out. Lets face it most MMO's take at least a year to start moving. FFXI didn't have chocobos to travel between cities for the longest time and WoW took 6 months to get their server issues right. You couldnt even skin in druid animal forms for months. Alot of the problems are or have been fixed. And lets face it some of the reviewers were playing on systems that didn't meet the minimum requirements ala PC Gamer which is another story in and of itself.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by nomss

You know what, it's just that I feel sorry for SE. I mean the devs must have worked hard, it wasn't like the devs come in for their shift and they are like "OMG this game sucks."

They plowed too much money into it, besides did CCP fix up Eve pretty fine so it can be done.

I am not sure if anything is the devs fault but the game just released way too early and the brainiac who said it was ready do deserve to be fired.

The game do still have some good stuff as well so it is not hopeless.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

i hope its ready for ps3 in march..

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well from my perspective the game design is just second rate in every aspect to FFXI,so it will never be better.

However some like it the way it is and Square would not be fair to just quit the way NCSOFT did with TR.

Personally their fault was GREED.They knew full well that the FFXI audience just wanted better graphics and maybe better housing,but they couldn't make millions by adding better graphics,they would actually have a hard time charging for that at all,so instead ,tried to rush out a NEW game,to get those new box sales and hopefully some NEW players.This was a bad boardroom decision,they should have just made a different game and call it something different.

FFXI was in my books a BRILLIANT design,but there was still tons of room to improve it.A good idea would have been to give the game it's new graphics and tweak some of the systems and open some new servers with the new tweaks,starting from scratch.

Square Enix has some brilliant minds for game design,but where they fail is in boardroom and money aspects.When Square made xpacs,they designed them to encourage people to buy them,and alienate those who don't and Square is STILL doing this ,example Abyssea xpacs.Alienating some of your respected customers who still pay a heck of a lot more at 15 a month than any 50 dollar box sale will amount to is just bad business practices.

Tanaka listened to some dumb asses in making FFXIV,it probably cost him for life now,so we may never see another great game from Sqaure Enix.I know they are already advertising FFXIII-2,lol like one year later and already a new game?Geesh ,i won't touch anything from Sqaure right now,they are just pushing products out the door.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Wizardry

Well from my perspective the game design is just second rate in every aspect to FFXI,so it will never be better.

However some like it the way it is and Square would not be fair to just quit the way NCSOFT did with TR.

Personally their fault was GREED.They knew full well that the FFXI audience just wanted better graphics and maybe better housing,but they couldn't make millions by adding better graphics,they would actually have a hard time charging for that at all,so instead ,tried to rush out a NEW game,to get those new box sales and hopefully some NEW players.This was a bad boardroom decision,they should have just made a different game and call it something different.

FFXI was in my books a BRILLIANT design,but there was still tons of room to improve it.A good idea would have been to give the game it's new graphics and tweak some of the systems and open some new servers with the new tweaks,starting from scratch.

Square Enix has some brilliant minds for game design,but where they fail is in boardroom and money aspects.When Square made xpacs,they designed them to encourage people to buy them,and alienate those who don't and Square is STILL doing this ,example Abyssea xpacs.Alienating some of your respected customers who still pay a heck of a lot more at 15 a month than any 50 dollar box sale will amount to is just bad business practices.

Tanaka listened to some dumb asses in making FFXIV,it probably cost him for life now,so we may never see another great game from Sqaure Enix.I know they are already advertising FFXIII-2,lol like one year later and already a new game?Geesh ,i won't touch anything from Sqaure right now,they are just pushing products out the door.

Actually arrogance was another of their problems.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by odinsrath

Yeah the PS3 ver is on an indefinite hold for now, until the PC ver is properly updated and is no longer being released in March.  Don't expect to see it until Sept/Nov...

• Originally posted by skeaser

Why should they apologize "once more"? They already apologized and they're working their asses off to give the players what they want. SE never gives up on their products, especially when it's a MMO and within time they'll make this into what it's supposed to be. Now, if you are too impatient and can't wait for this, just move on.

It's not a matter of impatience, it's a matter of hoping that one day dev teams will pull their collective heads out of their arses and stop releasing games that aren't ready.

It "is" a matter of impatience, your sentence has it written all over it. They already apologized for releasing an unfinished product and they are working on it.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Wizardry

I agree with the first paragraph. FFXI - at least up into Wings of The Goddess (and, to a lesser degree, Aht Urghan) - was a brilliant MMORPG. It still is a brilliant MMO.. it's just mired down in all this new crap they've added to the game that has steadily undermined what made the game great to begin with. It started, to a lesser degree, with Aht Urghan. It really got into motion, though, with Campaign Battles, Fields of Valor and Level Sync'ing... Between the three of those, traditional parties in XI - at least in my experience - were all but rendered obsolete, which  in turn killed a big part of what made FFXI stand out to me. I could easily break into a paragraphs long rant going into detail about that alone.. but I'm going to maintain myself lol.

I'm not entirely sure what you were getting at with the bit about Abyssea... but it sounds to me like you aren't crazy about it.

If that's the case.. then Amen. FFXI has become Final Abyssea XI Online. I went back to the game and lasted maybe 4 days. I got sick of everything being about Abyssea. I talked about doing missions "No one bothers.. They're doing Abyssea". I asked how CB was "lolCampaign. Do Abyssea". Besieged? "lolBesieged. Do Abyssea". Assault? Salvage? "lolEverything else. Do Abyssea".  It's almost like the rest of the game ceased to exist for most of these people. 

I tried ignoring those people and just taking the initiative as I normally would. Went out to some Campaign Grounds, noticing a very small number of people standing around the CB NPCs in town. Teleport out... nothing going on. Mobs attacking on a few fronts, but maybe a small handful out there defending. Decide to see if I can get an Assault group going and ask a few people I'd done them with prior... Their response? "lolAssault. Don't bother with that. Do Abyssea".

On my last day, a Saturday, I decided to log in and give it one more go. Maybe it being a weekend, more people would be available to do other stuff. Wrong. A couple hours later, after talking with a few friends in-game and getting the familiar "Do Abyssea" response, I logged out, canceled my content ID and uninstalled.

I guess, given many people's obsession and single-minded preoccupation with "leveling as fast as possible", Abyssea is the holy grail. Someone I spoke to in game was talking about getting 10+ levels in a matter of a few hours if you're "in the optimal set up for it". And that sentiment was echoed by many. Screw all that other content (Campaign, Assault, Missions, etc...). We're more interested in power leveling as fast as possible..

So, for all these years people have argued that XI was nothing but a level grind. I disagreed with them and, based on how the game *used* to be, I still do. However, it seems that now the game finally fits their description... SE has managed to reduce all other content, outside Abyssea, to the status of "undesirable". Now, Final Abyssea XI Online is all about leveling as quickly as possible to end game. And that's all anyone (that I spoke to over the course of the 4 days I was sub'd) seems to want out of the game anymore.

Sad. Sad. Sad.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by WSIMike

And that's all anyone (that I spoke to over the course of the 4 days I was sub'd) seems to want out of the game anymore.

Sad. Sad. Sad.

The journey was fun while it lasted, but now it is over. There is only the destination, and the new team is making sure that people can have as much fun in there as possible. The journey can not be replicated in that game anymore. This game is a whole different case altogether.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Why doesn't SE just give up?

So they can keep their jobs, probably. Did XIV under-deliver? Sure. Do you believe SE actually cares what the people holding that opinion think? Probably not, and I'd wager the loyal players feel the same way.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Hyanmen

And that's all anyone (that I spoke to over the course of the 4 days I was sub'd) seems to want out of the game anymore.

Sad. Sad. Sad.

The journey was fun while it lasted, but now it is over. There is only the destination, and the new team is making sure that people can have as much fun in there as possible. The journey can not be replicated in that game anymore. This game is a whole different case altogether.

Indeed... that's one of the reasons it's so sad. 'cause that game was a frigging epic journey while SE continued to treat it as such.

Now it's very much all about "racing to the end".... just like most other MMOs out there.

At least those of us there from the start got to enjoy FFXI when it was at its best. Have gained a novel's worth of awesome memories from my time playing it... all the way back to day 1 when I first stepped foot into Vana'diel.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

Indeed... that's one of the reasons it's so sad. 'cause that game was a frigging epic journey while SE continued to treat it as such.

It stopped being a journey when we got to the destination. This happened long before Abyssea did. SE would be dumb to stubbornly try to lengthen the journey when it is not possible any longer. We catched up, and now SE is treating the game as such.

It stopped being a journey when we got to the destination. This happened long before Abyssea did. SE would be dumb to stubbornly try to lengthen the journey when it is not possible any longer. We catched up, and now SE is treating the game as such.

Ahhh... careful about using "we". You don't speak for everyone.

I never reached "the destination" in XI, no matter how much I accomplished. It was always a journey for me because there was always more to do and, more importantly, always more people to do it with. The journey for me isn't over 'til I'm done wth the game, or they pull the plug on the game.

What makes the journey difficult or, in some cases, nigh on impossible, is that too many others have since gottten off that path and settled in at their own "destinations", no longer interested in journeying further or, as I experienced, helping others along theirs.

Reaching the "destination" is something the individual decides... not the developer. People I knew believed they'd done all the game had to offer (for them) after they finished CoP. Certainly there was more journey to be had, but they were "done". Their "desintation" was in completing that particular content, and they did so.

To me, increasing the level cap wasn't necessary. However, having done so it could have been an opportunity to extend that journey  and create even more epic storylines and experiences. Think of all they managed to fill in 75 levels with, and then consider what they could have chosen to fill an additional 25 levels with. I'm sure they could have done a lot. Instead they chose to make Abyssea.

The difference is in how SE has approached it. Their focus certainly influences how the game is played. Specifically, they used to push more toward the "journey" side of things. Recently they've swung more to the "destination" side of things.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by skeaser

It "is" a matter of impatience, your sentence has it written all over it. They already apologized for releasing an unfinished product and they are working on it.

I'm not impatient in the slightest, I have no intereset of ever returning to XIV, between XII and XIV the only thing SE could do to get my attention is KH3.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Most.

Most.

No. You don't even speak for "most". You don't know "most" players. You havent' spoken to "most" players. You haven't collected the feedback and opinions of "most" players. You don't know the individual goals, attitudes and personalities of "most" players. Even if "many" people have similar views, they're still not necessarily exactly the "same".

You speak for yourself and, perhaps, for anyone you've personally spoken or interacted with. Those people do not account for "most".

Regardless, I know people love to invoke some "majority" of people other than themselves as they feel it gives their arguments more "weight". So, if you require that to feel confident in your own arguments, then so be it. I'll simply continue to acknowledge you as speaking only for yourself.

• NavyJackalNavyJackal Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by odinsrath

Is the PS3 launch still set for March?  I thought the PS3 launch date was pushed back.

No. You don't even speak for "most". You don't know "most" players. You havent' spoken to "most" players. You haven't collected the feedback and opinions of "most" players. You don't know the individual goals, attitudes and personalities of "most" players. Even if "many" people have similar views, they're still not necessarily exactly the "same".

I know most people like the focus on Destination. That is enough of a proof that you are part of a small minority that couldn't somehow catch up during the 3 years of content recession.

E: PS3 version won't be released in March.

• kd5ywakd5ywa Member UncommonPosts: 29

To me, increasing the level cap wasn't necessary. However, having done so it could have been an opportunity to extend that journey  and create even more epic storylines and experiences. Think of all they managed to fill in 75 levels with, and then consider what they could have chosen to fill an additional 25 levels with. I'm sure they could have done a lot. Instead they chose to make Abyssea.

The difference is in how SE has approached it. Their focus certainly influences how the game is played. Specifically, they used to push more toward the "journey" side of things. Recently they've swung more to the "destination" side of things.

SE is using Abyssea, ergo FFXI, as a guinea pig for FFXIV.  It really pisses me off to ruin the uniqueness of the best PT based MMORPG.  You're absolutely 100% freaking right WSIMike, it was the only game of it's kind that wasn't about the destination and totally about the journey.  Ninety nine out of 100 memories I have of the game were about something other than endgame.   All ruined; SE stuck a jackhammer up the games ass and Abyssea is what came out.

I know most people like the focus on Destination. That is enough of a proof that you are part of a small minority that couldn't somehow catch up during the 3 years of content recession.

500k people played the game when it was about the journey; ~200k people play the game now that it's focused on destination.

Originally posted by kd5ywa

500k people played the game when it was about the journey; ~200k people play the game now that it's focused on destination.

As I said the journey ended and there was nothing SE could have done about it. Now they focus on the destination as they should because that's all the game has had for years now when everyone catched up (regardless of what SE did or didn't do).

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

How can you feel sorry for them.  Two problems :

1) Ignorance - Have you ever had a problem with Microsoft Windows, and clicked on the help tab....You got it....It's worthless.  Do you know why that's so ?........They never took the common users advice. They only looked at help from a close minded programmer's perspective.

FF14 UI is a mess, and the common player has to figure it out.  They blew right buy the bata players advice and make a Stinky UI anyway ! 

2) Greed - Catering to both PC and console players to capture both markets.

So there you have it Greed and Ignorance. THATS THE BOTTOM LINE you can candy coat it, you can gift wrap it but it still comes down to Greed, and Ignorance.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

FFXI also catered to both PC and console. So how is that greed again when it worked for them before ?

Oh BTW have they changed how you sub to this game yet. It is still crysta  with click and buy and paypal only ? The click and buy thing is the issue even with credit card cannot pay until they make some phantom claim on your bank.

Chamber of Chains