Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift : The Aion Effect

x0eclipsex0eclipse Member UncommonPosts: 32

The same thing that happened to Aion will happen to Rift. 

Rift:

What has happened

-Game has been over hyped

-"Genre changing... Revolutionary.. wolooolo WoW killer.."

What is happening

-Trion adding more servers based on hyper popularity

-more hype

What is going to happen

-Box sales will be high/ close to 'record breaking'

-More servers to accommodate large influx of players

But after the free month...

-People will realize the game is nothing more then WoW clone #999999 and offers nothing new to the MMO genre, has little of X game content, too much Y game content

-Trion will have to downsize server numbers to save money.

-Game will find a niche in the market <100k subs.

Call me a troll or whatever im just calling it now.

Comments

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

well aion was more fun to play than rift imho.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I don't doubt that it will sell more "boxes" at the outset only to have the population drop to a more realistic level but I think you are thinking too much like a gamer.

People don't care about "new". They don't. They care about things being repackaged and reworked so that they are new but familiar.

There is absolutely no evidence, looking at movies, books, music that the average person is really looking for anything that brings something "new" to any genre.

And from the looks of it Trion is not marketing to gamers but more to the average person who might be more inclined to play a game like WoW over something that is "new".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • StzaStza Member Posts: 6

i dont know anyone thats calling Rift revolutionary or genre changing... you could be right about the other stuff, though.

/shrug

i think its a great game and I'll be playing it

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

Originally posted by x0eclipse

Rift:

What has happened

What is happening

-more hype

What is going to happen

-People will realize the game is nothing more then WoW clone #999999 and offers nothing new to the MMO genre, has little of X game content, too much Y game content

i can tell you your wrong on at least one solid point. every post from the rift players im reading all ready KNOW its similar to war/war/eq2/input any other mmo with a hotbar. they could careless and have purchased and setup sub. yes your post is trollish and has little point to do with anything, but its your opinion and maybe clairvoyance into the future.

• kevankevan Member Posts: 2

another wow fanboy....uff.

Light Give Me the Strenght
    Tungsteno!! Tungsteno!!
    Chuck Norris disse Kung! e Kung Fu!!

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

This is a very wrong assumption you are making and is proof that you haven't played the game yourself or even botherd to research it.

It's more then just "WoW" It offers more Depth then wow ever did PVP wise.

They are opening the game with 8 instance or 6 i forgot, Which also can be on Heroic. And 2 raid instances (Let me remind you WoW had shit @ launch)

This game is really good polished already (unlike wow/aoc/warhammer/aion)

[mod edit]

• Shadow786Shadow786 Member UncommonPosts: 210

Happened to World of Warcraft [Speaking for Europe], they didnt start off with 1 million subs it took them two years to get to that amount in Europe. I remember quitting after two - three months after launch and giving my game away to a friend because there was little end game or it was difficult to do (40 man raids was new to some people and as such difficult to organise  as commonly as it is today). But I got it back from my friend a year later and played it non stop for 3 years before quitting. 

At that stage World of Warcraft found its direction (remember the "On the Horizon" page that listed hero classes will be coming soon for a long time before being taken down) and I believe was its golden time (Vanilla Wow)

• x0eclipsex0eclipse Member UncommonPosts: 32

Originally posted by mewhywhy

This is a very wrong assumption you are making and is proof that you haven't played the game yourself or even botherd to research it.

They are opening the game with 8 instance or 6 i forgot, Which also can be on Heroic. And 2 raid instances (Let me remind you WoW had shit @ launch)

[mod edit]

I have never played WoW and no im not trolling. Ive played the game to lv 30 and 3 characters. All im saying is the game isnt going to live up to its current hype and will find a niche in the market (just like Aion). This is not to say that isn't a success, but it certainly isn't going to be "REVOLUTIONARY! GENRE CHANGING!" like Trion advertises it as.

[mod edit]

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Rift:

What has happened

What is happening

-more hype

What is going to happen

Rift has as much in common with Aion as WAR. It's actually halfway between the two.

The 2 faction/ 2 path quest grind, the shallow world, the safari park mobs standing around in their enclosures waiting to get killed (5 at a time), the cloned combat system.

Aion actually launched with more ambition then Rift though tbh (the Abyss, flying), had more itemisation (even though it wasnt massive in Aion either, which says something about Rift), and had far more appearence and avatar customisation options.

Where Rift is smart is that it's providing PvP AND PvE servers. If Aion had done this it might still be considered a good game by a lot of folks. No game should put all it's eggs in the PvP basket if it wants long term major success imo. Too bad Aion couldnt get it's forts working at launch as well.

Whats funny though is so many Rift fans can't see the obvious similarities of Rift and Aion and continue to hate on Aion as if it's the worst game ever made, when if you look past the art styles it actually offered more then Rift does at launch..

IMO!!!!!

But, yes, both will behave in the exact same way imo.

Rift, like Aion, will sell a lot of boxes at launch and then will taper off 2-3 months into it's life as even the super casual players get to 50 (the hardcore will have done it in1 week, maybe 2), have consumed it's limted themepark content, and face waking up to the reality of the gear/ PvP grind.

IMO!!!!

• darkogeledarkogele Member Posts: 17

strange efect aion is geting beter and beter and more like difrent game not wow clone but is it to late cuz of the lame lunch time will tell

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

Honestly, i don't think its going to be anything like Aion, for the simple reason its not Boring at all. its fun to level, unlike other games like WoW, WH, LoTRO, etc where its really really really boring to level up lol

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I don't think anyone expects this to topple WoW.  I think any game that finds it's niche in the genre and has enough subs/sales to keep running is a success.  If Rift is able to do this, then kudos, but I think it may be a bit more successful. 

Aion is still running and releasing updates, so it must be doing fairly well.  So the comparison may be a generous one.  A company can only hope for sales like Aion in the asian market.

• TheIllusiveTheIllusive Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by ruonim

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by mewhywhy

[mod edit]

8 instances and the same 8 instances for endgame+ extra stuff (extra geometry + bosses/quests)

Originally posted by naraku209

Honestly, i don't think its going to be anything like Aion, for the simple reason its not Boring at all. its fun to level, unlike other games like WoW, WH, LoTRO, etc where its really really really boring to level up lol

Rift relies heavily on a quest chain mechanic to level you, just as those games do... Kill 5 of this, pull 2 of those levels to do that... How is Rift more fun the these other games in terms of levelling to you?

As for Aion... same quest mechanic, sure, but the Abyss was FAR more fun to me to play in then any rift was.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Ah. Aion is nothing more than a WoW clone now. That's a deep analysis. Especially from someone who never played WoW.

Aion was built for a pay-as-you-go market. Should NCSoft start advertising such option in the West, Aion would do fairly well, as it is doing good in Asia right now.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by ruonim

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

The reason that people left Aion was not due to it's similarities to WoW, it was due to it's differences. There were level gaps where you had to "grind" mobs in the quest chains, and people immediately quit the second they knew they had to grind.

Rift is streamlined so that the questers can level up their way, and the people who don't like to quest all of the time can level that way too.

Rift has nothing in common with Aion, except for the fact that it will get a huge amount of box sales.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Rift:

What has happened

What is happening

-more hype

What is going to happen

no one ever said rift was genre changing or revolutionary.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by vesavius

Rift relies heavily on a quest chain mechanic to level you, just as those games do... Kill 5 of this, pull 2 of those levels to do that... How is Rift more fun the these other games in terms of levelling to you?

As for Aion... same quest mechanic, sure, but the Abyss was FAR more fun to me to play in then any rift was.

you obviously havent played rift much then, you cant do those quest chains when all the npc are dead because of an invasion. you get more xp and rewards for doing the rifts. i dont know any other game where npc's can take over the world. you are just spreading false information. Aion isnt half the game rift is.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Ah you are wrong. But it mostly comes from people bashing Rift.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Rift:

What has happened

What is happening

-more hype

What is going to happen

The developers did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldI3ypm1gHg

The voice over says "RIFT is the complete next-generation in online gaming"...they go on to clarify, "next generation means that it will advance the genre the day it ships"

What else could they mean?

Originally posted by vesavius

you obviously havent played rift much then, you cant do those quest chains when all the npc are dead because of an invasion. you get more xp and rewards for doing the rifts. i dont know any other game where npc's can take over the world. you are just spreading false information. Aion isnt half the game rift is.

well, anyone who actually knows these boards knows I have.

Aion actually had the same dynamic, where the enemy would take over your quest NPC locations in the abyss, depending on how the war was going for your side.

And, lol, what 'false information' am i spreading? That Rift relies heavily on a quest chain mechanic, the same as those other games do? That I found the abyss more fun then grinding rifts? eh?

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

It's indeed a solid game.

Now RIFT vs Aion: I've never touched Aion because of the asian style graphics.

Originally posted by Qazz

The developers did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldI3ypm1gHg

The voice over says "RIFT is the complete next-generation in online gaming"...they go on to clarify, "next generation means that it will advance the genre the day it ships"

What else could they mean?

Ah yes, that 2 months old video that the bashers keep bringing back. Meanwhile the same bashers keep bringing the 'not a next gen' or 'not revolutionary' into most topics. I wonder who is to blame. ;-)

This discussion has been closed.