Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New SONY PORTABLE GAMING RIG!!!!! Screw Nintendo!!!! 3DS is no match now!! Screw Iphone 4 -5!!! No m

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/346-sony-announces-next-generation-portable-handheld/

Sony Computer Entertainment, or SCE, is ditching the UMD format in favor of Flash-based memory cards for its new portable entertainment system, dubbed NGP.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

That's the announcement for the PSP2.

• HumanHornHumanHorn Member Posts: 25

What we said when the PSP came out and it ended up sucking.

Now times have changed and people want an all in one device like an iPhone and don't want to carry several big clunky devices like a PSP2 as well as a mobile when they can just have a smart phone now.

I agree, a PSP wouldn't fit in a normal pocket so I wouldn't want to carry it. I'd much prefer to just have an iPhone, play cut the rope or something and get home to play proper full 3D games. Handheld games need to be 5 mins of fun because when you're out you don't want full console games. The PSP didn't get this when the DS did and the PSP2 wont get it seeing the specs. The number one selling iPhone games are all short burst games like Doodle Jump or Angry Birds and not the full 3D games like Rage or whatever.

I just think the device will flop and I don't get what Sony are doing by releasing the Playstation Phone at the same time on much lesser hardware. All they're doing is spliting the support devs will give and guess what they'll give it to... the PSP2 and not the Playstation phone. So that phone will flop as well lol.

What they needed to do is ditch the PSP brand and make the ultimate Playstation Phone to go up against the iPhone. So they could have this PSP2 hardware in a proper phone.

Sony haven't made much sense in years, their brand is falling. They dropped the ball with the PSP and the PS3, they've lost their dominate market share and are dead last now. I reckon if the PSP2 doesn't do well then they'll close shop for Playstation.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Someone apparently can't read. That is that announcement of the PSP2 which is rather just okay. Only thing I thought was cool is it does have quad cores in it. Sadly the store it's going to use isn't going to be fully launched till most likely Q3, same with the PS Phone. Nintendo's 3DS will do fine and I'm not sure why you mentioned the IPhone as they are marketing a different crowd. I'm sure you meant the IPod Touch, which is more of thier gaming platform, but they are in talks about possibly making a console. Sad thing is, just like with Apple and Windows, Apple will always fall off, it's just a matter of when. If you want to talk about gaming on phones, then look toward Andriod and Tegra2-Tegra2.5-Tegra3. All of which blow any Apple GPU out the water. Qualcomm also has a GPU coming out at the end of this year which they say compares to the PS3 graphics wise. OP, before you make titles with a bunch of CAPS, do your homework, it helps.

• ZorkenZorken Member UncommonPosts: 54

it will have an electronic compass. well thats all i need to know i buy it only for that, screw the rest of the stuff in it. an electronic compass is the one thing i need so i dont get lost in my house.

any way i think i will wait until they release it before i make up my mind if i should go bananas over it or not. there last one did not hold my interest that long.

Benjamin Franklin wrote the best quote to use for MMOs in development.
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by HumanHorn

Now times have changed and people want an all in one device like an iPhone and don't want to carry several big clunky devices like a PSP2 as well as a mobile when they can just have a smart phone now.

I agree, a PSP wouldn't fit in a normal pocket so I wouldn't want to carry it. I'd much prefer to just have an iPhone, play cut the rope or something and get home to play proper full 3D games. Handheld games need to be 5 mins of fun because when you're out you don't want full console games. The PSP didn't get this when the DS did and the PSP2 wont get it seeing the specs. The number one selling iPhone games are all short burst games like Doodle Jump or Angry Birds and not the full 3D games like Rage or whatever.

I just think the device will flop and I don't get what Sony are doing by releasing the Playstation Phone at the same time on much lesser hardware. All they're doing is spliting the support devs will give and guess what they'll give it to... the PSP2 and not the Playstation phone. So that phone will flop as well lol.

What they needed to do is ditch the PSP brand and make the ultimate Playstation Phone to go up against the iPhone. So they could have this PSP2 hardware in a proper phone.

Sony haven't made much sense in years, their brand is falling. They dropped the ball with the PSP and the PS3, they've lost their dominate market share and are dead last now. I reckon if the PSP2 doesn't do well then they'll close shop for Playstation.

dude, the NGP will have dual touch screen, and it will be able to play old PS3 games. It has a 2nd anilog stick, meaning 3D and FPS games will be much better on the controls this time. the lack of 2nd analog stick killed the PSP project, because the camera controls are a big thing in 3D gaming.

especially FPS

Also it has 3G and wifi.  a touch pad in the back as well. we basically have a PS3 controller but with a screen on it. Iphone cant, and never will be able to handle games like the NGP can handle, due to the limited controls (touch screen only). that may be cool and all, but only for casual gaming. NGP will take things to the next level. Hardcore games finally on a Portable system.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

I will state this again, IPod Touch man, not the IPhone is Apple's gaming platform. Apple has already stated they want to branch away from the IPhone being game centric and be more about enterprise and daily phone usage. And we don't really know what the 6th generation IPod Touches will offer GPU or even tech wise other than rumors. Sony has already showed that they lack common sense when it comes to delivering the goods, hence the abysmal PS3 and PSP numbers and there profits. You may want to calm down before you eat your words. And I also mentioned Andriod is about to make a huge blast at gaming on handheld phone devices with NVidia, just watch. Read up on Tegra and check the roadmap for NVidia in this field. Then lets have this discussion.

Also to note, the PSP2 will be able to play old PSP games through thier store which won't fully launch when the PSP2 does. And no ones really knows how the whole 3g will work with carriers and who will support it, since you have to have a carrier to get the 3g service, which is dumb because WIFI is alot faster than 3g and LTE tech is about to launch which will make 3g useless.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

There is a Playstation phone in the works too by sony ericison. Just google PS phone. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I think I rather get the PS Phone than the NGP, 

1. Battery Life playing with a Quad Core.....mostly die in 4 hours, thats why the spec wasn't mentioned at the conference.

2. I have a PS3, I play PS3 games on a PS3, not on some small screen where small screen.....yes you can argue NGP's picture quality is on par with PS3, but let just say this

50' vs 5' whos gonna win?

3. How is NGP gonna take over IPhone, as far as I know, It has 3G capability, but no mobile support features. It is a pure handheld gaming rig

BUT imagine playing DCUO on NGP lol 

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by HumanHorn

dude, the NGP will have dual touch screen,

Duel touch screen?? Where? Just a touch screen on front and a touch pad on back. Take a look at Uncharted demoing on the NGP. http://www.gamespot.com/ngp/action/uncharted/video/6287018?hd=1 

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I just hope the FPS are better this time around.

also I compared it to Iphone, because I know some people that say the Iphone is the best gaming device in the world, due to its large number of games. Stupid logic I know. but Thats why I put that in there as well.

• reddoreddo Member Posts: 115

I would like to add that the NGP has a monthly cost for use of its 3G, which is expected considering the size of games nowadays. 

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Screw them all id rather have a sega nomad, handheld gaming is way over priced. 3ds $250 games $50 no thanks.....

• ClanRSClanRS Member UncommonPosts: 64

Hardware comparison:

Hardware comparison

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I think 3DS will do very well as there is a good market for the DS style of games, and being the first 3D device (with no glasses required) a lot of people will purchase it, myself included.  The PSP2 will likely have higher quality of games and will appeal to those who utilize a lot of portable gaming, such as myself.  However, since the 3DS is coming out so much earlier, the PSP 2 will not be a huge threat initially, which is the time when a console really makes or breaks it's sales.

• TheIllusiveTheIllusive Member Posts: 196

curious, but how the hell could a company like Sony produce such an UGGLLLYYY interface ?

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/346-sony-announces-next-generation-portable-handheld/

Sony Computer Entertainment, or SCE, is ditching the UMD format in favor of Flash-based memory cards for its new portable entertainment system, dubbed NGP.

I just think that Sony really misjudged the handheld gaming market, and technology like iPhone/iPad/iPod has stolen most of the gaming market from them.  People really do want something with great graphics that will fit into the pocket. NGP will probably be too pricey a system and too large and cumbersome to carry to make massive sales.

• kovaraskovaras Member Posts: 2

Very impressive, only problem with stuff like this is the wait... still waiting for onlive :)

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

I think portable dedicated gaming devices such as PSPs and Ds's are coming to the end of the line. With Tegra 2 finaly being adopted by phones and becoming pretty much the standard platform (2011 at least, 2012 will be tegra 3), you will always be carrying a gaming device with you.

Why if the Optimus 2X or Optimus 3D can do the same as PSP2/3DS would i carry another device. They theoretically have the same graphics capabilities, just development has never been great, until now!

And games like Dungeon Defender is already cross platform (yes play in same game)  OPTIMUS 2X/PC/PS3, and the playstation store is android ready.

And outputting at full HD to a monitor/tv and using the phone as the controller (gyroscope/motion sensor) is pure brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mZBoFnsBhE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9_o-oISOi8

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

Take a Look at this PDF all you need to know.

PDF Link

• FactFact Member UncommonPosts: 82

I play games on my iPhone 4.

I play these games because they are there, on my phone.

I have my phone with me all the time.

I wouldn't buy a 'portable gaming rig' because I have a phone that just happens to have the capability to play some very good games on it.

TL;DR?

In summary then...

games phone games phone phone phone games.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Fact

I play games on my iPhone 4.

I play these games because they are there, on my phone.

I have my phone with me all the time.

I wouldn't buy a 'portable gaming rig' because I have a phone that just happens to have the capability to play some very good games on it.

TL;DR?

In summary then...

games phone games phone phone phone games.

Get the PSphone! :P

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

lol how is Sony making the same mistakes all over again... a high end technology handheld being pitched against a cheaper novelty driven one.. do they not ever learn?

And then they sell their PSP back catalogue to android phone users... genius lol.

They would have been better to take the PSP and stick  a phone in it... and give it an app store... you see where I am going for this.

This is will be an amzing piece of tech sure, but it's gonna go exactly the same way as the PSP imo.

Who wants to own a smart phone (with all it's functionality PLUS access to sony games) and pay again for a a NGP?

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

The PSP has WAY better games than any of the garbage you can buy for iPhones... seriously, ya'll call keep playing Bejeweled and ugly imitations of Flash games if you'd like, I want games with epic cutscenes, decent controls, and active multiplayer support. The PSP is the only current handheld to offer these things.

The new PSP system is likely going to dominate the market. I say "likely" because Sony has a history of screwing up great ideas, but they did so well with the PSP (honestly the best handheld system to date) that there's no reason that this shouldn't easily overcome the 3DS in terms of total sales.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Vryheid

The PSP has WAY better games than any of the garbage you can buy for iPhones...

Vry, sony are releasing their back cat for android phones. I said this in my post above.

The PSP2 won't be competing with those old games you talk about, it will be competing with smart phones with Sony games.

and, ofc, Nintendo, who will once again dominate this round of things with a triumph of novelty over cutting edge.

Again.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Vryheid

The PSP has WAY better games than any of the garbage you can buy for iPhones... seriously, ya'll call keep playing Bejeweled and ugly imitations of Flash games if you'd like, I want games with epic cutscenes, decent controls, and active multiplayer support. The PSP is the only current handheld to offer these things.

Thats what I have a PS3 for. Sitting on a train, looking at epic graphics, and suddenly its not so epic anymore. I'll not sacrifice .1% of quality for a mobile device.

But thats just my opinion.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.