Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW had Dynamic events (Like Rift) even back in 2004

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Few days ago a poster asked : How long before WOW adds dynamic events , like Rift ?

My answer was: probably never , they will need to drastically change whole game code for that.

But , I was wrong ...

WoW did have dynamic events even from the day it launched.

I didnt play much...but

Remember Duskwood ?

There is a quest there : Bride of Embalmer

Finishing this quest spawns giant monster "Stitches" that is elite and higher level than usual players.

It starts moving from one end of zone towards capital just like Rift invasion.

Until it is stopped by players. Otherwise NPCs recruit militia and fight him.

Dynamic content or what ? image

2004 Blizzard did it. Shame that they didnt continue with such stuff...

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Yeah that actually sounds pretty cool. I'm suprised they didn't do more of that.

Only reason I see is because it can interfere with questing (Rift's and whatnot sure do reap havov on npc lol).

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Close, but unfortunately no cigar. That is in fact a very nice quest, but it does not qualify as Dynamic as the quest is static and repeatable. Dynamic content like in Rift is not repeatable, atleast not in the same locations. Randomness is the key to being Dynamic so WoW does not qualify, not even with their phasing quests.

I said that they had / have ability to do dynamic quests  - and this was clear example.

They could have done it random. But it wouldnt fit the quest story though.

Neither did they have wish to do true random dynamic events at that time

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

"Dynamic" events have to change the nature of the gameplay environment around them. Just because there were events in WoW that occurred out of instances does not mean they qualify. The environmental development in Rift is ongoing and can change based on the actions of players, whereas your example is both predictable and entirely temporary.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

As an old wow vet from beta 2004 i can say, wow is becomming an old lady, she is defently losing subs slowly atm.

Most of the blizzard pro dev team is wokring on Titan their new mmo.and its showing off in wow, you can tell that if you look on to the latest patch notes.

Core class mechanics are thrown away, classes that where balanced like this since release get a total revamp.

Devs are trying to hard to change the game into something new, wich is going to backfire sooner or later.

Their focus on endgame is hurting low level pvp, the grind for a simple pvp kit is horrible for Horde players who needs to stand in queue for 30 min to play for 50/150 honor , you need around 35k honor for a full pvp set :P

Battlegrounds are filled with scrubs who do not care to play as a team, just solo play and lose requeue repeat the process.

I have 5 level 85's atm, cba to play anymore and pulled the plug after 6 years of solid gaming.

Tried alot of diffrent mmo inthe meantime: warhammer - Aion - Rift beta atm, but only 1 thing keeps me interested, GW2.

WoW will continue to dominate , other gamestudio's just keep failing over and over.

wich is kinda sad if you keep loosing to an old dementic lady :P

Not talking like (where is the new wow killer kinda style here) just when will there be a release of an mmo that can stand toe to toe againsts blizzard ?

Tired of of waiting for it, we need some good fresh wind, cant wait for GW2 rawr!

• Den1sDen1s Member Posts: 20

It can hardly be considered as "dynamic event" because (as somebody mention above) it is trigered by  exact action (turning quest) and monster (stich) itself  didnt have any efect on story/world, even loot was very crapy (considering that you are same lvl s stich, only he is elite).

If you want to put examples of wow dynamic events, better ones would be:

- attack of elements at end of beta

- opening door of Ahn' Qiraj

- scourge invasion

- dark portal openings

- capture of Sun's reach

- zombie infestation

- operation: Gnomeregan

So yes, WoW had/have dynamic events but mostly only as part of some major patch or expansion. They didint implent them as regular part of story/lore/gameplay. But, knowing Blizzard's way dont be suprised if very soon they make it that way.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Few days ago a poster asked : How long before WOW adds dynamic events , like Rift ?

My answer was: probably never , they will need to drastically change whole game code for that.

But , I was wrong ...

I didnt play much...but

Remember Duskwood ?

Finishing this quest spawns giant monster "Stitches" that is elite and higher level than usual players.

I fondly remember that as one of the best events in classic WOW. Being in Duskwood and hearing (or rather, seeing) the town crier announce that the abomination of the undead is on its way was always exciting, maybe because it was something you did not expect most of the time.

Sadly, playing through Cataclysm with a new character, I've found that the Stitches quest is now phased for the player. You turn in the Stitches quest and the big fat horror of the deceitful embalmer just appears in the middle of the town. You simply step outside and do the encounter. So, no more suspenseful waiting in Darkshire... It may be more convenient for the questing player, but to me, it's killed one of the coolest little pieces of content in the game. (Though I must admit the questing in Cataclysm as an overall experience has been improved tremendously from the days of vanilla.) 

Speaking of events, anyone remember the zombie plague? That was insane. :)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by solarine

But , I was wrong ...

I didnt play much...but

Remember Duskwood ?

I fondly remember that as one of the best events in classic WOW. Being in Duskwood and hearing (or rather, seeing) the town crier announce that the abomination of the undead is on its way was always exciting, maybe because it was something you did not expect most of the time.

Sadly, playing through Cataclysm with a new character, I've found that the Stitches quest is now phased for the player. You turn in the Stitches quest and the big fat horror of the deceitful embalmer just appears in the middle of the town. You simply step outside and do the encounter. So, no more suspenseful waiting in Darkshire... It may be more convenient for the questing player, but to me, it's killed one of the coolest little pieces of content in the game. (Though I must admit the questing in Cataclysm as an overall experience has been improved tremendously from the days of vanilla.) 

Speaking of events, anyone remember the zombie plague? That was insane. :)

They made it phased ?!

Sad sign of the times

• JLVDBJLVDB Member Posts: 281

Answer to the OP... Blizzard does this stuff for 6 years ...

The pre Cata events were dynamic "world" events too. The same for the pre Wotlk events.

But they dissapear after 2 weeks or so and before launch.

And why makes Blizzard not use of this ?

Simple: they are no FUN if you do them more than 2 times or repeat them.

They all come down to ONE huge zerg fest knocking on the mob or mobs. By the third time you do them, you are bored to tears. Respawns have been set to a few hours or even a week and even varied in places. The results stayed the same: boring PVE zerg fests.

"If it ain't  fun don't do it". That's why you only get them now and then.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

But , I was wrong ...

I didnt play much...but

Remember Duskwood ?

That isn't a dynamic event... you can completely reproduce it at will simply by completing the quest chain to activate it. You know exactly when Stiches is coming and can plan on it.

--- Edit:

Holy crap, they changed it to being phased now? I remember the first time I came across Stiches on my first character... he snuck up from be from behind, I basically heard a thump and died. Then I got to watch this huge, lumbering mass head on down the road. Damn, no one else will get to experience that now?

Sad times indeed.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Pretty sure games like Asheron's Call and Anarchy Online had them even before that...the approach from Rift is just another evolution of very old mechanics, but you can say that for a almost everything in all MMO games these days :p

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

But , I was wrong ...

I didnt play much...but

Remember Duskwood ?

Actually it was the Naxx event that FELT similar.

The one with all the spawned undead and you had cool little rewards like tabards attached to the system.

The problem with them is they were static and never really evolved.

All mmos have events of some kind, in rift however they evolve over time, are random and scale.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261

Remember Duskwood ?

That isn't dynamic, it's static.  Meaning it spawns everytime you complete the quest chain.  If something different appeard in differents parts of the area that would be 'dynamic'.  You should look these definitions up sometime. Furthermore, it's actually called a 'trigger' event.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

But , I was wrong ...

I didnt play much...but

Remember Duskwood ?

I usually dont post on WoW threads but wanted to give my opinion:

What you describe looks like a dinamic event at the same style of Rift, but the big diference maybe that, while the rift events are probably included as a whole stand alone system in the server code (being it optimized and all that), the one you talk about was probably a script runing inside a quest, thats probably why there no more stuff like this on WoW, becouse is not a server mechanic and may use too much server capacity if used to populate the world.

Hope this helps.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

solo people were having trouble doing quests around duskwood probably.

rift is in beta and there are lot of players playing so no one having problem clearing the invader, once the game launched and people joins late will face problem questing ,when they wont find a group ready to clear invader, worst the invaders will attack NPCs and it really is a pain for questing solo. you cant turn in quest or accept.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by clankyasp

rift is in beta and there are lot of players playing so no one having problem clearing the invader, once the game launched and people joins late will face problem questing ,when they wont find a group ready to clear invader, worst the invaders will attack NPCs and it really is a pain for questing solo. you cant turn in quest or accept.

people wont have problems because the dynamic events in rift scale to the amount of people in the zone. If the zone is pack full of people it will trigger a bigger zone event. do your research first. The whole point of the dynamic zone events is to get people to play and cooperate together, you just going off on your little solo quests is not how mmo's should be played.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by clankyasp

people wont have problems because the dynamic events in rift scale to the amount of people in the zone. If the zone is pack full of people it will trigger a bigger zone event. do your research first. The whole point of the dynamic zone events is to get people to play and cooperate together, you just going off on your little solo quests is not how mmo's should be played.

I have to admit that i am unaware of how this system works in Rift, so could you enlighten us all on how this system differs and works as this thread may make a little more sense?

Are we talking about actual dynamic events that permanently change the game  world or are we talking about random events that temporarily change the environment?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Skyy_HighSkyy_High Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 138

Heh...that's not a dynamic event, not even close. One-time events that developers specifically code to go off in a certain way aren't really dynamic events either. They're a heck of a lot of fun, to be sure, but if they're not "normal" content they're not dynamic events, imo. 

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Close, but unfortunately no cigar. That is in fact a very nice quest, but it does not qualify as Dynamic as the quest is static and repeatable. Dynamic content like in Rift is not repeatable, atleast not in the same locations. Randomness is the key to being Dynamic so WoW does not qualify, not even with their phasing quests.

Problem is, Rifts are not really dynamic either. Each Rift has a set spawn point, meaning, spawn points are not random, just the times they may be activated.  Mobs spawned go down the same tracks (waypoints) ever single time. Forces are done in a way to take down the weak quest hub every single time.

The current system tries to give the impression of dynamic play, but it really is no different than what the OP talks about in its design. Trion merely built upon that. Different factions will fight each other, but the patterns still emerge and its utterly predictable. I am pretty sure there wont ever be any time where there isnt a rift opening and that same ol on train tracks invasion force begins its slow journey to the town.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Problem is, Rifts are not really dynamic either. Each Rift has a set spawn point, meaning, spawn points are not random, just the times they may be activated.  Mobs spawned go down the same tracks (waypoints) ever single time. Forces are done in a way to take down the weak quest hub every single time.

The current system tries to give the impression of dynamic play, but it really is no different than what the OP talks about in its design. Trion merely built upon that. Different factions will fight each other, but the patterns still emerge and its utterly predictable. I am pretty sure there wont ever be any time where there isnt a rift opening and that same ol on train tracks invasion force begins its slow journey to the town.

So what we are saying here is it really depends on what definition of Dynamic you hang on?

If you take the "Characterized by continuous change, activity, or progress" definition then it would seem that neither game would really qualify as there is no permanent change involved in the events that take place?

If you take the "Of or relating to variation of intensity" definition, then i suppose that the Rift events would qualify as they vary depending on how many people are available to react to the event according to a previous post.

Until someone qualifies what 'Dynamic' is meant to represent then it is difficult to tell what falls into it or not??

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Everything is going to be and will be totally predictable. It's a computer game after all. Eventually, they'll make a game where random event happen out of nowhere, or where content is driven by a set number of certain people employed to be a third faction for example to set events into motion as and when they see fit.

Even Guild Wars 2, who is expected to be game-changing in terms of dynamic events is predictable. One event chain has several outcomes that set off another.  In this sense, it is the player who ends up making the choice depending on if they succeed or fail.

That's the limit of our game's technology at the moment.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Nah a quest is not an event.Every single game has similar things to that,so it really makes it a mute point.

FFXI really does have events,example Beseiged has the mobs attack Aht Urgahan. FFXI also has the Campaign events,which are mobs attacking the outposts,that is VERY similar to what RIFT does.ROM had a spiral warp that would spawn once in awhile that you could take it to warp to an event where you kill elite mobs that all drop a chest,then you open chests in hopes of rewards.NPC's can be captured during Beseiged,so no more warp taru or no more chocobo renter,so there is also meaning.

A quest is something for you the SOLO,events are for everyone to take part in at the same time,then they are gone until they happen again,with a different result and or plays out different everytime.

In Wow if the event had no meaning,nobody would do it,but if it did have meaning,even something as simple as good loot rewards,too many would do it and would end up an instance.Wow is not about Events,it is about a solo experience until you want some loot,then it becomes a co-op game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

If one event is the standard for judging, UO had dynamic events too back in the day...Town invasions ect...SWG had some...

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Rifts are much more like the Champion Spawns in UO... which were added after most people had quit playing it.  Basically champion spawns are just spawn points where the difficulty of the mobs gradually increased until you spawned the champion.  It would take a fairly large number of people to ´grind´a few hours to go from the easiest spawns to the final champion.  There were also a few dozen possible spawn points, but only a couple would be active at any one time.

This system was improved upon a bit in Warhammer... and became a bit more static and MUCH faster to go from beginning to end ( in UO, it could take a few hours).

Probably the major difference with Rift is that the Rifts can greatly impact NPCs ( in warhammer and UO, they were isolated from normal gameplay).

I don´t think WOW has anything close to what Rifts are.. possibly the pre wotlk invasions... but they were in pedictable spots.  I think in Rift, for right now, it appears that they spawn much more randomly than they do because people haven´t been playing that much yet.