Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this will be the best MMO ever.

1235»

Comments

• HypodermicaHypodermica Member Posts: 154

Originally posted by Toxilium

I cannot believe after almost 10 pages, people are still putting thought and arguments into this thread.

The "thought" portion of your statement is debatable ;)

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Hypodermica

I cannot believe after almost 10 pages, people are still putting thought and arguments into this thread.

The "thought" portion of your statement is debatable ;)

Yeah I agree, plus you forgot to mention that its really not hard to get to 10 pages in a thread when its just a single "12 quote box single post" thats taking up each page. I mean really, you would think once we ready that wall of text once they could reply without quoting it again, and again, and again.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by ironfungus

I can't believe people are actually counting "Star Wars" and "Bioware" as real reasons. 

I don't see why not, anything with the Star Wars name on it is successful, look at the last 3 movies, completely horrible critical failures, but they were box office hits.

REALITY CHECK: Bioware hasn't made a good game since Knights of the Old Republic. That had a MILLION ISSUES on the PC, as well as Mass Effect 1 and 2 when they came out. Mass Effect was unplayable for a solid 2 weeks post-release until the developers patched it, and the same goes for the second game. Mass Effect offered bad voice acting and recycled animations in dialog, "cinematic" situations. Not to mention the story could have used work.

I think you may have forgot to put "in my opinion" at the beginning of this last paragraph.  See, many people really liked KOTOR, didn't have any issues with Mass Effect, and have even liked ME2 and DA, their newest games.

*Reality Check for you:  KOTOR sold over 2 million copies, ME and ME2 both sold over 2.5 million copies, and DA:O sold over 2 million copies.

In case you were wondering, that's a lot.  Also on metacritic scores for all of those games are between 86-96.  Hardly critical failures.

*Box sales numbers are for console only, factoring in PC sales the figures would be much higher but this informatoin is not readily available.

What in the hell makes any of you think Bioware is capable of making an MMORPG? Everything I have seen so far convinces me that they can't.

That's ok, but it's also just your opinion.  Millions of people like Bioware games, you don't.

The graphics / art is absolutely terrible by any means. It looks like that abomination from Cartoon Network "The Clone Wars". The combat looks bland and offers nothing new, not to mention the animations are choppy and unpolished. The voice acting and dialog are already one of the worst offered in any game. The game is INCREDIBLY CHEAPLY MADE. Why can't any of you understand this? 

I actually agree with this.  You highlighted the main reasons I have no interest in this game.

Maybe...I MIGHT be wrong when it releases. I hope so, even. But everything I've seen so far is disgusting. This will not be a good game by any means. Period.

Again, in your opinion it will not be good.  You may not play it, I may not play it, but millions WILL buy it and a lot of those will subscribe.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Dameonk

Originally posted by ironfungus

I can't believe people are actually counting "Star Wars" and "Bioware" as real reasons. 

I don't see why not, anything with the Star Wars name on it is successful, look at the last 3 movies, completely horrible critical failures, but they were box office hits.

REALITY CHECK: Bioware hasn't made a good game since Knights of the Old Republic. That had a MILLION ISSUES on the PC, as well as Mass Effect 1 and 2 when they came out. Mass Effect was unplayable for a solid 2 weeks post-release until the developers patched it, and the same goes for the second game. Mass Effect offered bad voice acting and recycled animations in dialog, "cinematic" situations. Not to mention the story could have used work.

I think you may have forgot to put "in my opinion" at the beginning of this last paragraph.  See, many people really liked KOTOR, didn't have any issues with Mass Effect, and have even liked ME2 and DA, their newest games.

*Reality Check for you:  KOTOR sold over 2 million copies, ME and ME2 both sold over 2.5 million copies, and DA:O sold over 2 million copies.

In case you were wondering, that's a lot.  Also on metacritic scores for all of those games are between 86-96.  Hardly critical failures.

*Box sales numbers are for console only, factoring in PC sales the figures would be much higher but this informatoin is not readily available.

What in the hell makes any of you think Bioware is capable of making an MMORPG? Everything I have seen so far convinces me that they can't.

That's ok, but it's also just your opinion.  Millions of people like Bioware games, you don't.

The graphics / art is absolutely terrible by any means. It looks like that abomination from Cartoon Network "The Clone Wars". The combat looks bland and offers nothing new, not to mention the animations are choppy and unpolished. The voice acting and dialog are already one of the worst offered in any game. The game is INCREDIBLY CHEAPLY MADE. Why can't any of you understand this? 

I actually agree with this.  You highlighted the main reasons I have no interest in this game.

Maybe...I MIGHT be wrong when it releases. I hope so, even. But everything I've seen so far is disgusting. This will not be a good game by any means. Period.

Again, in your opinion it will not be good.  You may not play it, I may not play it, but millions WILL buy it and a lot of those will subscribe.

It's too bad you won't be playing this game Dameonk.  Mature people like you are the ones I like to team and join guilds with, unlike some other posters that seem to think that only their opinions count.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323

" WoW is my favorite MMO of all time "

I lol'd irl

• slprslpr Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by Drakxii

Originally posted by slpr

This game is not linear like you're thinking. This is not  a SPG. Beyond that? you have 8 class stories to complete, you have raids, you have flashpoints, you have different PvP features, minigames and some new type of endgame bioware is making. Do you need more? or do you plan to play it for the next 20 years?!

They might have different pvp features, minigames or a new endgame or raids, but then they have only have said that they will.  I know it's not fair to judge someone based on other actions, though EA and EA online or whatever they call mythic did make WAR and are helping with SWTOR.

They might have different pvp features, minigames or a new endgame or raids, but then they have only have said that they will.  I know it's not fair to judge someone based on other actions, though EA and EA online or whatever they call mythic did make WAR and are helping with SWTOR.

First of all no, mythic is not helping bioware making the game. EA gave mythic to bioware, and the studio is now called Bioware Mythic. There are a few employees of mythic passed to the bioware austin team. but very few. And yes the mythic guys are good making PvP.

Wait and see. They haven't annouced everything yet.

Wait and See...

Like i said wait and see.

What loading bar? they want to make this game seamles, in fact during your play in worlds you won't see a single loading screen because the game have a streaming system that works on the back while you play.

You didn't answer what he was asking... though it was a silly question.

Yes it was a silly question and i answered the part that he seemed to not know.

First of all you don't understand why they did it. 2nd it's just your opinion, after seeing more footage of space combat recently it looks really fun. They did space combat like that for two reasons:

1- They are focusing in the ground content.

2- They want to introduce players with something basic, before moving into something like a space sim. Yes, they said it in some old interviews, that they don't want to put a space sim game right from the beginning because in SWG alot of players didn't like it.

And they will add other space features in a future expansion or patch. They even have guild ship plans... yes they also said it in an interview.

1. I get that, but if they just wanted to focus on ground content why didn't they just do that?  Why add a minigame for a very important part of SW.  Before you say but it isn't an important of TOR world it is.  In KOTOR both starts and ends with massive space battles.  Sure you don't play in them but then you also don't do an arcade shooter either.  If your going to add it do it right.

Funny answer, you're saying they are not focusing in ground content? then for you information, it's not the bioware austin studio that is making the space combat. It's the guys at lucasarts, they are working on the space combat while bioware is working on the ground content. And no, KOTOR didn't had massive space battles, you never controlled your ship, just turrets. But again this is just tastes... the first time i saw the space combat i was disappointed, but after seeing more footage of it i think it's really nice and im sure, bioware will had other types of space combat in the future.

2.  This is such a bull answer.  Why does everyone have to like it?  No everyone likes Craft.  Not everyone likes PvP, not everyone likes Raids, and you know what not everyone is going to like this arcade game in their MMO.  Also I have seen that quote that alot of players of SWG didn't like JTL and I just don't believe it.  A large number of players kept playing SWG after NGE merely for JTL.  Not mention that JTL came in just after CU and jedi villages and few months later NGE.  The dev that said, who I believe was at SOE when it happened just wants to blame JTL for the NGE failure. 

Sorry but I just can't accept a SOLO ONLY mode in an MMO.

I didn't said every was going to like it, i said i understand the reasons they are doing this way. You don't believe it? well i think the devs have an overall view of the game and more sense of what the players like or not. That part that i said was based on an interview i read, from a guy that is now part of the SWTOR team and worked in SWG for years. Call space combat what you want, it's a mini-game it's not a big feature of the game like it or not.

2.  This is such a bull answer.  Why does everyone have to like it?  No everyone likes Craft.  Not everyone likes PvP, not everyone likes Raids, and you know what not everyone is going to like this arcade game in their MMO.  Also I have seen that quote that alot of players of SWG didn't like JTL and I just don't believe it.  A large number of players kept playing SWG after NGE merely for JTL.  Not mention that JTL came in just after CU and jedi villages and few months later NGE.  The dev that said, who I believe was at SOE when it happened just wants to blame JTL for the NGE failure.1. I get that, but if they just wanted to focus on ground content why didn't they just do that?  Why add a minigame for a very important part of SW.  Before you say but it isn't an important of TOR world it is.  In KOTOR both starts and ends with massive space battles.  Sure you don't play in them but then you also don't do an arcade shooter either.  If your going to add it do it right.

2.  This is such a bull answer.  Why does everyone have to like it?  No everyone likes Craft.  Not everyone likes PvP, not everyone likes Raids, and you know what not everyone is going to like this arcade game in their MMO.  Also I have seen that quote that alot of players of SWG didn't like JTL and I just don't believe it.  A large number of players kept playing SWG after NGE merely for JTL.  Not mention that JTL came in just after CU and jedi villages and few months later NGE.  The dev that said, who I believe was at SOE when it happened just wants to blame JTL for the NGE failure.

The more i read from you, the more i know you're part of that famouse horde race. The graphics are good stop saying nonesense. Go check the latest video... look at the details, you have reflections in armor and in the eyes, you have tremendous ammount of detail in the world environments, from skys showing thunders, with leafs flying around, etc, etc. The lightsabers are fixed, you seem to know zero about game development or the word placeholder.

Like i said you belong to the horde race that is spread across the internet.

What did you expect? force unleashed crosses with counter-strike? gtfo. It's standard MMO combat but it's improved. They added physics, they added speed to combat and some objects in the environment that you can interact with. Also they added real-time melee combat, were lightsabers connect and you actually see people parry, dodging and escaping. Not the old silly animations and lack of physics like in WoW or any other MMO.

Some classes and even the NPC's can take cover behind boxes and walls.

I do agree that it is looking better. 

Again, the more i read the more i know that you know zero about this game. There are going to be thousands of armor sets and colours to choose from to each class. The same with guns, you will have huge ammount of guns and lightsabers and you can customize them. So next time take a while and try to search for some information.

Yeah.  Wow has 1000s of armor sets as well.  But only like a 1% of them are any good.  Also I have yet to see them say that you change the way an armor looks.

This game will have more armor sets than the actual WoW and this is at launch. And besides having armor sets, they will have separate pieces that some are equal or better than the pieces in armor sets, meaning people will mix various kind of armors and colours. In an event called comiccon the lead designer for swtor even said that you will be able to customize your character like no other MMO before.

And yes, i know they haven't shown alot of armor sets yet. But if you follow the game, you should know that bioware shows very little. They even choose the armors that appear in videos, etc.

5 reasons why this game will succeed and why you shouldn't compare it to others in the past:

1- Bioware isn't the average game producer

2- They have an huge fanbase behind them

3- They have the star wars fans behind them

4- They are testing the game like mad, for a long time now.

5- They have the money that none of the other companies before had.

This is really why I replied.

1.  Nope they are attached to EA now and are only known for their solo rpgs.  Don't get me wrong they are good but still a lot a like in design and have almost no MP exp.  Personally I think theirs have gone down with each game.

Being attached to EA means, nothing! They are only known for solo rpgs? well let me tell you that blizzard was only known for RTS games before making their 1st MMO. What a coincidence they have 12 million subscribers now. About bioware going down each game, is just your opinion... the fact is that they always have good reviews in gaming websites and receive large ammounts of prizes each year. And last year was now different.

2.  Sure who for the most part don't play MMOs or only play consoles.

Let me tell you something, bioware focus was and it always be PC gaming! And you're wrong about this, because alot of people will try their 1st MMO ever. This game will bring SP rpg fans, bioware fans, star wars fans and actual MMO players. This game will be the 1st MMO for alot of people and if you take a closer look in gaming websites like gamespot or giantbomb, you will see in the comments section that alot of people say "i really don't like mmos, but this will be my 1st".

3.  Yeah so?  Again not a big MMO percent of them are MMO players. 

So? star wars fans are crazy. They play every game out there even if it's a shity star wars game, so if you think they won't play this because it's an MMO, you're wrong.

4.  Hey a good reason.  Though it's only been in beta for a few months now. 

No it's not only a few months, this game is in testing for ages now... more than 1 year. They only announced the game testing program in june... but people already know they were testing it alot before that. Besides they also have their own team of game testers in-house, but that pretty much standard now a days.

5.  WAR had alot of money too.  Alot of EA money.

I don't know what you call alot of money, but they didn't had 100M or more to spend on a game. That i guarantee you. And please don't even compare mythic with bioware, it's ridicilous.

Yes community is a selling point and the community here in MMORPG.com is the worst i've even seen due to people like you. Have a nice day and next time search for info before talking like an ignorant.

Your not helping much you know.  Your attacks just make you look like a blind fanboy of a game that isn't even out yet. 

Call me whatever you want, that's the truth... the community from this website is one of the worse i've seen. And what i said is true, alot of people who comment here in the SWTOR forum don't have a clue of what their saying. Cheers!

In green.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Originally posted by Karnage69

I lol'd irl

Likewise, when I wrote it.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Karnage69

I lol'd irl

Likewise, when I wrote it.

The problem with your original post is there's absolutely nothing to separate it from the people who actually think that way.

You linked another post later, but apparently that thread was deleted.

If you're trying to make SW:ToR fans look bad, sorry, there's plenty worse without having to fake it.

If you're trying to make people who make fun of SW:ToR fans look gullible, sorry, they've seen worse too. :D

I'm not really sure WHAT your point was.  To create a lot of debate?  I mean, there's people earnestly defending your original post as being brilliant and true, basically. :D

(edit:  I'd like to amend this to point out I'm not saying all SW:ToR fans are like this.  ... but some are.  Pretty much every game community ever has fans like that.  If I was mean, I'd say '... and they all come to MMORPG.com to argue', but I'm nice, so I would never even insinuate such a thing!)

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

What makes me sad is all the people who go after the game and clearly haven't done any research or blindly bash it.

It's one thing when a fan boosts about a game.  They are excited about it.

What i don't get is the people bashing against it.

Do they get joy from this? if so thats pretty sad.

Do they want the game to die? If so thats pretty sad as well

Do they hate the game? why are you here again? Leads back to the first question

Now i'm not expecting everyone on said forum to agree. But blindly bashing a game for god knows what reason seems odd to me. 

As for the post.  Congrats to all those that bashed the game, you fell right into the trap.

Just for pointers.  This isn't how a normal fan acts.  A normal fan likes the game and will try, note keyword try, to set things straight.

Anyone who just says this game will beat everything is deluding themselves. Same goes for those saying it will fail.

Frankly i'd prefer the OP not be included in anyway with how fans act.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Originally posted by whilan

Just for pointers.  This isn't how a normal fan acts.  A normal fan likes the game and will try, note keyword try, to set things straight.

Here's a pro-tip!  Normal fans don't go posting on forums, they just enjoy the game on their own, maybe talk it up with their friends.  ;)

Forums is where the crazy people go!  I mean, there's perfectly normal people there too, and there's even people who put a lot of thought and consideration into everything they write, but they're right there with the super-opinionated people who have opinions on par with 'The Earth is flat, 9-11 was a conspiracy by McDonalds, and I have an alien implant in my tonsils'.

No one MMORPG has a monopoly on them, and I don't think any community that gets big enough can avoid them. :)

Actually, hmm... now that I really think upon it, I'm pretty sure quite a lot of people (I'm not sure if I'd say 'normal fans') have the basic opinion 'This will rock because it's Star Wars + Bioware, and I like WoW'.  They just don't uh... post their opinion on forums, or quite so enthusiastically (Yes, yes, I realize OP was a troll).

It's sort of like people who root for a sports team!  While a dedicated fan can explain what they think will happen and why, many people can't articulate a position for why they think their team will win beyond 'Because it's the team I'm rooting for'.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Meowhead

Here's a pro-tip!  Normal fans don't go posting on forums, they just enjoy the game on their own, maybe talk it up with their friends.  ;)

Forums is where the crazy people go!  I mean, there's perfectly normal people there too, and there's even people who put a lot of thought and consideration into everything they write, but they're right there with the super-opinionated people who have opinions on par with 'The Earth is flat, 9-11 was a conspiracy by McDonalds, and I have an alien implant in my tonsils'.

No one MMORPG has a monopoly on them, and I don't think any community that gets big enough can avoid them. :)

Actually, hmm... now that I really think upon it, I'm pretty sure quite a lot of people (I'm not sure if I'd say 'normal fans') have the basic opinion 'This will rock because it's Star Wars + Bioware, and I like WoW'.  They just don't uh... post their opinion on forums, or quite so enthusiastically (Yes, yes, I realize OP was a troll).

It's sort of like people who root for a sports team!  While a dedicated fan can explain what they think will happen and why, many people can't articulate a position for why they think their team will win beyond 'Because it's the team I'm rooting for'.

Forum people are not crazy, we just got a bit too much time on our hands...

Originally posted by Loke666

Oh, c'mon, one out of four people are mentally imbalanced in some way.  Are you really going to tell me that NONE of those people manage to make it onto the internet? :D

... and what better place to hear crazy opinions than the internet?  I mean, have you ever read wikipedia edit pages?  Random blogs?  Or, as I said... forums.

I'm not saying forums are the exclusive domain of crazy people, just that they're here!  Walking amongst us.  Some people would even say the sort of behavior that leads one to constantly log on and respond repeatedly to people who are never going to agree with you is sort of indicative of being not quite right in the head. :)

• smaklagasmaklaga Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by Adamantine

Originally posted by dogtownmark

darth maul>darth vader... just sayin

LOL darth maul is cool and all but lets face it he got beat by obi wan kenobi :/ the guy just jumped up and grabs the ligthsaber and stabs him so BAD. Vader is way cooler cause he can force choke and lightning in the games and just loks way cooler

Lightside Jedi can also force choke, as Luke proves in "Return of the Jedi".

I have never seen Vader use lightning in the movies. I dont see why I should buy he can use it from some secondary force.

I consider myself a Star Wars fan....but never thought about how Luke choked the guards in Return of the Jedi.  ForceChoke=Light or Dark power.  That just blew my mind. 

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Meowhead

Originally posted by Loke666

Oh, c'mon, one out of four people are mentally imbalanced in some way.  Are you really going to tell me that NONE of those people manage to make it onto the internet? :D

... and what better place to hear crazy opinions than the internet?  I mean, have you ever read wikipedia edit pages?  Random blogs?  Or, as I said... forums.

I'm not saying forums are the exclusive domain of crazy people, just that they're here!  Walking amongst us.  Some people would even say the sort of behavior that leads one to constantly log on and respond repeatedly to people who are never going to agree with you is sort of indicative of being not quite right in the head. :)

Hmmm . . . pretty big conspiracy theory you have here.  Maybe you are one of those people you are talking about?  Just kidding, you have a point, probably a little overblown, but still a point.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by Drakxii

First of all no, mythic is not helping bioware making the game. EA gave mythic to bioware, and the studio is now called Bioware Mythic. There are a few employees of mythic passed to the bioware austin team. but very few. And yes the mythic guys are good making PvP.

So mythic is helping at all... well other then those "few" guys?

Funny answer, you're saying they are not focusing in ground content?  then for you information, it's not the bioware austin studio that is making the space combat. It's the guys at lucasarts, they are working on the space combat while bioware is working on the ground content.

I believe one of bioware's studios is working on it in canada but not for sure. 

And no, KOTOR didn't had massive space battles, you never controlled your ship, just turrets.

Yes and we know that MMOs shouldn't be more then a solo RPG. 

But again this is just tastes... the first time i saw the space combat i was disappointed, but after seeing more footage of it i think it's really nice and im sure, bioware will had other types of space combat in the future.

Sorry but no amount of flashy minigame footage is going to make think that a solo tunnel shooter where you can't barrelroll is going to be fun in an MMO.

I didn't said every was going to like it, i said i understand the reasons they are doing this way. You don't believe it? well i think the devs have an overall view of the game and more sense of what the players like or not. That part that i said was based on an interview i read, from a guy that is now part of the SWTOR team and worked in SWG for years. Call space combat what you want, it's a mini-game it's not a big feature of the game like it or not.

What reasons?  That a space combat mingame would bring to the game more then a more indepth space combat?  Or that a no space combat minigame with the hope of future space combat would bring in less then a minigame would?  Personally I don't get their reasons at all, I just don't get how a mini-game improves the game any real amount...  If they want the game to add mini-games add the ones that ip already has and that people liked in KOTOR.  Sloop racing and that card game.

This game will have more armor sets than the actual WoW and this is at launch. And besides having armor sets, they will have separate pieces that some are equal or better than the pieces in armor sets, meaning people will mix various kind of armors and colours. In an event called comiccon the lead designer for swtor even said that you will be able to customize your character like no other MMO before.

And yes, i know they haven't shown alot of armor sets yet. But if you follow the game, you should know that bioware shows very little. They even choose the armors that appear in videos, etc.

I will believe when I see it.  But hey if they could make the characters in SWTOR more customizable then Eve's or COH's more power to them, I am just not holding my breath.

Being attached to EA means, nothing! They are only known for solo rpgs? well let me tell you that blizzard was only known for RTS games before making their 1st MMO. What a coincidence they have 12 million subscribers now. About bioware going down each game, is just your opinion... the fact is that they always have good reviews in gaming websites and receive large ammounts of prizes each year. And last year was now different.

Yeah being attached to EA, the mmo killer, means nothing...  Also Blizzard is known for more then RTS games.  Diablo? Diablo 2?  Both of which had  large MP parts.  Plus s few NES games. 

Let me tell you something, bioware focus was and it always be PC gaming! And you're wrong about this, because alot of people will try their 1st MMO ever. This game will bring SP rpg fans, bioware fans, star wars fans and actual MMO players. This game will be the 1st MMO for alot of people and if you take a closer look in gaming websites like gamespot or giantbomb, you will see in the comments section that alot of people say "i really don't like mmos, but this will be my 1st".

Yeah thats why ME took a year to get to PC.  I think alot of them will try SWTOR I just don't think that alot of them will keep playing.  I see SWTOR doing a WAR huge release numbers and then crash and burn a few months later.  I love to be wrong but I havn't seen anything yet to show me that SWTOR will have staying power other then it's names.

So? star wars fans are crazy. They play every game out there even if it's a shity star wars game, so if you think they won't play this because it's an MMO, you're wrong.

SWG...  SW fans won't keep playing an MMO just because it's star wars. 

No it's not only a few months, this game is in testing for ages now... more than 1 year. They only announced the game testing program in june... but people already know they were testing it alot before that. Besides they also have their own team of game testers in-house, but that pretty much standard now a days.

In-house testing doesn't count as testing really.  In-house testing is very very controlled, unlike most betas where alot of the odd problems are found. 

I don't know what you call alot of money, but they didn't had 100M or more to spend on a game. That i guarantee you. And please don't even compare mythic with bioware, it's ridicilous.

If you say so.   Also you do know that money does not equal a good game, so just because they have the most money to spend doesn't mean it will be good.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• gamespamgamespam Member Posts: 456

Originally posted by gamespam

Originally posted by nomss

Originally posted by gamespam

Orwellien censorship of my post isn't going to stop the fact that most expectations of this game will be shattered.

Why?

Because a linear game only has so much life to it. Devs hold your hand until they run out of ideas, and surprise, that just so happens to be where they set level cap.

What about beyond that?

This game is not linear like you're thinking. This is not  a SPG. Beyond that? you have 8 class stories to complete, you have raids, you have flashpoints, you have different PvP features, minigames and some new type of endgame bioware is making. Do you need more? or do you plan to play it for the next 20 years?!

Is there even a reason to play? Not entertainment, but an actual goal? Like control of territory for resources or even faction buffs?

Wait and see. They haven't annouced everything yet.

you could just treat it as a single player and play all 4 classes and then switch factions and play their mirror classes to get more usage out of it. For example, will I have to fight a fleet with my party, board a space station, take it over, before I land on the enemy controlled planet? Or is it just a loading bar?

What loading bar? they want to make this game seamles, in fact during your play in worlds you won't see a single loading screen because the game have a streaming system that works on the back while you play.

Space on rails was uncalled for. But people are rationalizing with themselves that this is ok and acceptable.

First of all you don't understand why they did it. 2nd it's just your opinion, after seeing more footage of space combat recently it looks really fun. They did space combat like that for two reasons:

1- They are focusing in the ground content.

2- They want to introduce players with something basic, before moving into something like a space sim. Yes, they said it in some old interviews, that they don't want to put a space sim game right from the beginning because in SWG alot of players didn't like it.

And they will add other space features in a future expansion or patch. They even have guild ship plans... yes they also said it in an interview.

The graphics isn't great, however I can understand that they want people with Tandy 1000s to play too. Even if that means lightsabers look like someone picked up a lamp and was swinging it at me...eh....like a lightsaber (not the real issue).

The more i read from you, the more i know you're part of that famouse horde race. The graphics are good stop saying nonesense. Go check the latest video... look at the details, you have reflections in armor and in the eyes, you have tremendous ammount of detail in the world environments, from skys showing thunders, with leafs flying around, etc, etc. The lightsabers are fixed, you seem to know zero about game development or the word placeholder.

Like i said you belong to the horde race that is spread across the internet.

I would trade voice-overs with that MetalGear NPC dialogue animations for some in-depth game mechanics anyday.

What did you expect? force unleashed crosses with counter-strike? gtfo. It's standard MMO combat but it's improved. They added physics, they added speed to combat and some objects in the environment that you can interact with. Also they added real-time melee combat, were lightsabers connect and you actually see people parry, dodging and escaping. Not the old silly animations and lack of physics like in WoW or any other MMO.

Some classes and even the NPC's can take cover behind boxes and walls.

I just don't see where this game is going to offer creativity and a feeling of living in another world with so many limitations. For example, no matter how lazy or busy I am, at the end of the day, the smuggler next to me probably has the same character customization as me, same armor/clothing (to include color), the same weapon, the same attributes, the same skills. We both hit for the same exact max damage. I don't have a feeling that I created this character, I feel like I painted by the numbers and had to stay in the lines.

Again, the more i read the more i know that you know zero about this game. There are going to be thousands of armor sets and colours to choose from to each class. The same with guns, you will have huge ammount of guns and lightsabers and you can customize them. So next time take a while and try to search for some information.

I hope it succeeds. I hope it sucks all the type of people that play this kind of game in like a vaccuum. But, thread after thread about "the best" and "wow killaz" is pathetic. We see this with every game every year. You would think people would learn by now, especially all the rabid pre-launch fans of FF14, VG, AoC, WAR, Aion, LotR, etc etc. Look how those "WoW killaz" turned out. But does that stop people from making the same claims for the next game? Nope.

5 reasons why this game will succeed and why you shouldn't compare it to others in the past:

1- Bioware isn't the average game producer

2- They have an huge fanbase behind them

3- They have the star wars fans behind them

4- They are testing the game like mad, for a long time now.

5- They have the money that none of the other companies before had.

So when people like me laugh or ask for you to tone it down, don't get so eager to report me because I'm not worshiping at the alter of Game X with you. Because Community is a selling point too and can make the game suck and nobody will want to play it.

Yes community is a selling point and the community here in MMORPG.com is the worst i've even seen due to people like you. Have a nice day and next time search for info before talking like an ignorant.

In red.

You gave a lot of personal attacks torwards somebody that was merely answering somebody else's request for a detailed opinion. You are exactly the kind of person that I'm talking about. I bet you flagged my comment 5 times because you didn't like my opinion. lol, and a million people like you are going to play the same game? Can hardly wait.

I see you picked out the loading bar statement, which by the way, was only an opposing idea to the other half of my question, which you not surprisingly ignored.

I already stated that graphics wasn't a main issue. I could care less if there are "leaves blowing" or if lightsaber hilts look like a 2 liter bottle of soda. Do I think it's funny? Yes. Do I care if it's a "placeholder"? Not really.

As for space, you sound like a bible-thumper trying to prove god exist. Excuses, rationalizing with yourself. Seriously, you're trying to tell me that your Space Invaders on rails style game is preferred over JTL in SWG? Really?

Judging by your Yoda avater, you're not going to care to listen to any vailid and reasonable points and questions I make. You proven that already in your first reply. That's fine. My detailed opinion as to why I think this game isn't that great for a $150M production and how expectations are going to be shattered was not addressed personally to all self-important YOU.

You are not an authority on MMOs or even just this one. You are not a BW dev. You're not even a friend of a BW dev. Hell, you don't even know the parking attendant at HQ. You have NO inside information. Half that reply you made was speculation and is made up in your own mind. You HOPE a better space game will come later. You HOPE that crap graphics are just placeholders. You HOPE you can watch this thread and pounce on anyone that doesn't mindlessly agrees with you with your made up drivel hoping they believe you or go away. What happens when we don't go away? Do the excuses for this game get more exciting? You are nothing new. You're the same drone from the other AAA pre-launches from the past 6 years. Yeah, you'll be hitting these forums hard until game release. But you will be no where to be found after launch, just like the many others before you. Old news. Defend this game 2 months after release if you want to impress free thinking people like me. But something tells me you'll quietly disappear like all the others before you.

Not saying that this game won't do well, and I hope it does. It just won't be anything close to what the majority think/wishes/hopes/assumes it's going to be.

This time, reply without personal attacks to distract from the facts. Simple links will do.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Just cause it is star wars dosen't mean it will transition to mmo well, and not everyone likes wow. The game looks solid, and if they work at it to make the game better over the years it will be good. I just hope it isn't to easy or to watered down on the star wars front.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

we shall see young padywon LOL i dunno about the spelling

but i do know this...if bioware doesnt step it up and make the basics of every mmo the best in the game there will be no future for it. awesome crafting, auction house, mailing system, easy transportation, worlds to physically be in and not this world sectors mess. I'm hoping they do well too but they definitely need to reveal more of the basics everyone needs in an mmo.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Originally posted by whilan

What makes me sad is all the people who go after the game and clearly haven't done any research or blindly bash it.

That was one of my main points when I wrote this. I contemplated doing a WoW thread as well, but as the Rift one was closed almost instantly, it's clear the hypothetical WoW thread wouldn''t have made it far either. Another point I wanted to get out of this is to show how most people on this site do not read through the thread, rather pick and choose certain posts that relate to what they're trying to say. I understand that's what most humans do, but hopefully this is a wake up call for certain people to look at the bigger picture.

We can see even now, people are still posting, despite me coming out and stating blatantly the OP was a baiting post. I mean, give me a break people, you can't be this ignorant to still be posting!

EDIT: Another thing that disgusts me is the fact that in the Rift thread, I was reported almost right away and received a warning issued via a moderator in my email. This thread is pretty much the exact same thing, though pro-ToR as opposed to anti-Rift, yet no one so far has had the balls nor the brains to realize what is going on and report it. Or maybe the moderators just pick and choose too, which would not surprise me, based on the 10+ warnings I've received in the past.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Look, it's basically going to be KOTOR with other people, and a bit of standard, moderately well-done MMO stuff tacked on. 

Typical BioWare fully-voice acted stories with the occasional ponderable moral or consequential choice, but shareable with other players (and with a group able to participate in the dialogue selection). 

Think "killing 10 womp rats" but where you're slightly more emotionally involved in killing the 10 womp rats than in most MMOs because (if you listen rather than read) the quest giving dialogue is so well done, it makes it seem important that you kill the 10 womp rats.

Or think an extended Tortage, in space (that is, if like me you listened to the dialogue instead of clicking through).

Trust me, that's how it will play.

Either you're gagging for that and will be as happy as a Larrykin when it comes out (I know I will be) or you don't want that and will hate it. 

End of story.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by itgrowls

we shall see young padywon LOL i dunno about the spelling

but i do know this...if bioware doesnt step it up and make the basics of every mmo the best in the game there will be no future for it. awesome crafting, auction house, mailing system, easy transportation, worlds to physically be in and not this world sectors mess. I'm hoping they do well too but they definitely need to reveal more of the basics everyone needs in an mmo.

I will try and touch on a few things here, because a few of these have already been revealed

You can take a look at the crafting system here: http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/crew-skills

I can't say if it will be awesome but it does look interesting

Auction house is confirmed:

Quote:" “Hey, if I’m really into more the crafting, harvesting, auction house type of gameplay, are you going to support that?” "Absolutely" - MMOGamer

Mailing system is said to be in game, one of the interviews said that you will be able to dance with your pants off on top of a mailbox ( I can dig up the video if you like, just let me know)

easy transportation: Well they have said they have taxi/speeder bike type transports that will take you to specific areas (it will be on rails so you can't control it)

Wrolds to physically be in: does this mean wide open worlds? or ala what STO had?  My guess and this is based on what i've seen is you have (currently) 17 different worlds.  You enter your star ship and select a destination (planet) then you get some kind of loading screen (i don't know the details on this yet, sorry) and then land in that new world.  Now theres suppose to be a chance (although i don't know if it's probability or if it's attached to the story) that you will encounter a tunnel shooter type fight sequence during space travel.  But this is more of a mini-game as stated by the devs so take that for what you will.

As for the wide open worlds well. I'll let the quote speak for itself rather then putting into my own words.

Quote James Olhen: Our game is very open. We’ve developed several worlds, and each of those worlds is wide open, huge worlds with many square kilometers and you’re able to explore those worlds any way you want - TenTonHammer

Will these things be great or awesome? can't say, haven't played it (edit: enough to tell, i did play it for 15 mins but that is long outdated by now as that was mid of last year), hope it will be, but it seems (as per your list) that they have those things in there.

Edit: just a note:  I looked it up and the spelling your looking for is padawan.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.