Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this will be the best MMO ever.

ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

1. It's Star Wars. Do I really need the other points? Everything that is Star Wars is gold except jar jar binks because hes stupid.

2. It's BioWare. Really, are you still reading?

3. I heard from people in beta (from the ToR forums) that its like WoW having a baby in KOTOR. WoW is my favorite MMO of all time as its esay to learn but hard to master and very pretty to look at. KOTOR 2 especially is my favorite single player game of all time. Imagine taking WoWs unique questing system like riding in vehicles and turrets, combining that in SPACESHIPS and with Speeders and lightsabers, ahhhhhh what more could you want?

4. It's Star Wars.

I think this game will beat WoW, simple as that. A lot of my friends in my guild are just waiting for this to come out and theyre gone. as soon as tor comes out, its all star wars from then on, and same with me. I like killing noobs in BGs with my Ret Pally and rogue XD BUT this game will be way more awesome as i can kill them with the same class (sith warrior) with a LIGHTSABER. Also anyone who goes Republic is lame :) Vader is better than Yoda anyday and TOR is going to let me be as badass as Vader was!

Comments

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Man we can dream can't we?

• dogtownmarkdogtownmark Member UncommonPosts: 35

darth maul>darth vader... just sayin

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by dogtownmark

+1

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Originally posted by dogtownmark

LOL darth maul is cool and all but lets face it he got beat by obi wan kenobi :/ the guy just jumped up and grabs the ligthsaber and stabs him so BAD. Vader is way cooler cause he can force choke and lightning in the games and just loks way cooler

• ersingibleersingible Member Posts: 70

Most of those points was also true of SOE and SWG, prior to Smedley's Order 66.

Just saying.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Best? That's subjective. Most successfull fiscally? Not likely, but possible. I think if all goes at least decently smooth, this game could be closer to a World of Warcraft level of success than any MMORPG since has gotten. Will it surpass it? thats very hard to tell.

From what I have seen it has all of the right ingredients.

Themepark - check

Fully voiced, story driven - check    'fully voiced is something many mmorpg players have dreamed of for a long time, just look at a major reason AOC was able to trick so many into picking it up'.

Stylized and optimized for wide audience and aesthetic longevity - check

Group playable and soloable - check

Star wars IP - check

Bioware reputation - check

Fluid animations and fast combat - check

Looks polished - check

Learned from past MMO's and built on them like WoW did - not fully known

To me it looks like almost all of the ingredients of an insanely huge hit.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

At first I was on the SW:TOR hate train, then I replayed KOTOR as I do from time to time and it hit me:

I'm going to get to play this with friends.

Bioware will be hard pressed to eff this up. KOTOR + multiplayer = where do I put in my CC info?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by skeaser

At first I was on the SW:TOR hate train, then I replayed KOTOR as I do from time to time and it hit me:

I'm going to get to play this with friends.

Bioware will be hard pressed to eff this up. KOTOR + multiplayer = where do I put in my CC info?

Same, I was meh about SWTOR since 08 when I saw the gigantic lightsaber screenshot, but only about a month ago it started to don on me and I became more interested. I especially like the engine they are using. It allows them to add content instantly into the game world without doing server drops. AKA - no patches like whats seen in game like WoW. Especially nice since most patchers use peer 2 peer, which can force you to actually DL the patch off a 3rd party site.

You can be playing and all of a sudden BAM, new content placed in while players are playing. They can tweak any ingame setting live, with people playing. If they wanted to play a prank, they could flip a slider, and then everybodies lightsabers would magically become the size of a watermelon.

To be honest, the reason I didn't like it at first was because I was searching for the ultimate sandbox game. I didnt like the idea of having a single player game with a chat room. The more you look at it though, the more you have to think, amazing voiceovers, 50 + novels worth of voiced dialogue alone, starwars, bioware, and other people..... WOAAAH it hits ya.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I love how another fantasy game can copy some of WoW's gameplay and it's boring and bland, but if it's in Star Wars theme none of that matters- it's great!!1!one! Laughable

Originally posted by pierth

I love how another fantasy game can copy some of WoW's gameplay and it's boring and bland, but if it's in Star Wars theme none of that matters- it's great!!1!one! Laughable

Copying WoW's gameplay? Do elaborate your  on your pessimism.

Last I checked, laser carbines, thermal detinators, lightsabers, and electricity were not a part of WoW gameplay. Oh and neither was voiceovers, or cinematic interaction.

Either way, you can't sell the argument that WoW was the first to do what it did. They stole from many ideas, chiefly *cough warhammer cough*. I see nothing wrong with useing successful ideas from other games to improve upon your own and make it authentic to you.

Nothing's original, but if you make it your own, it is authentic. You should learn that eventually, otherwise you will be living a copied lie your entire life.

IMO, Bioware is one of the best as far as making something their own. Giving it their own feel. I could play a build of one of their unnanounced titles, having no knowledge that it's from Bioware, and after 1-2 minutes, I could tell you with certainty that this is a bioware game.

• DanaDarkDanaDark Member Posts: 125

It won't be the best and many will be very upset.

The reason is simple: high expectations. Look, half of you are already expecting this to be the Second Coming of MMOs. You've set this game on a golden throne and will most likely be given a good game. But, since you expect greatness, you'll proclaim it crap and hop on the next up and coming MMO bandwagon.

The sheer thought of comparing SW:TOR to WoW sickens me. The only connection they have is that they are both MMOs. Nothing else. At all really. Do not compare them, please don't. Its a disgrace to Bioware.

And again, this is NOT a KOTOR game. This is a different engine with different graphics in a different time. The only similarity is that it is Star Wars. Thats it. Absolutely no relation to SW:KOTOR at all. I wish it weren't true, but facts be facts (technical facts none the less!).

Overall, from what Ive seen, this'll be a good game, better than most out already. But I fear, due to the threads like this one, that the expectations will be too high and no one can possibly deliver on such high expecations.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by denshing

Last I checked, laser carbines, thermal detinators, lightsabers, and electricity were not a part of WoW gameplay. Oh and neither was voiceovers, or cinematic interaction.

Either way, you can't sell the argument that WoW was the first to do what it did. They stole from many ideas, chiefly * cough warhammer cough*. I see nothing wrong with useing successful ideas from other games to improve upon your own and make it authentic to you.

Nothing's original, but if you make it your own, it is authentic. You should learn that eventually, otherwise you will be living a copied lie your entire life.

I actually look forward to trying out The Old Republic- this was directly toward the OP who is a complete hypocrite. Check the Rift boards.

As far as Knights of the Old Republic 3: The Don't Pirate Me Edition goes I'm sure it will be a great single player experience as the other KotOR games have been, I just don't think Bioware is going to have enough massively or even normal multiplayer content that will make it a game that lasts longer than it takes to play through each class. I'd like to be wrong on this as I'm pretty tired of the medieval/fantasy subgenre of MMOs and would like to see other games do exceedingly well.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Toxilium

1. It's Star Wars. Do I really need the other points? Everything that is Star Wars is gold except jar jar binks because hes stupid.

3. I heard from people in beta (from the ToR forums) that its like WoW having a baby in KOTOR. WoW is my favorite MMO of all time as its esay to learn but hard to master and very pretty to look at. KOTOR 2 especially is my favorite single player game of all time. Imagine taking WoWs unique questing system like riding in vehicles and turrets, combining that in SPACESHIPS and with Speeders and lightsabers, ahhhhhh what more could you want?

4. It's Star Wars.

I think this game will beat WoW, simple as that. A lot of my friends in my guild are just waiting for this to come out and theyre gone. as soon as tor comes out, its all star wars from then on, and same with me. I like killing noobs in BGs with my Ret Pally and rogue XD BUT this game will be way more awesome as i can kill them with the same class (sith warrior) with a LIGHTSABER. Also anyone who goes Republic is lame :) Vader is better than Yoda anyday and TOR is going to let me be as badass as Vader was!

1.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_Wars_Holiday_Special

2.  http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/sonic-chronicles-the-dark-brotherhood

3.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOTOR_2 (Read who the developer is)  Also, not everybody likes WoW, and some people are tired of it and definitely don't want WoW in their Star Wars.

4.  http://www.amazon.com/Worst-Star-Wars-Books-Ever/lm/1W55ZPOLALX7R or http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/top-3-worst-star-wars-games/69696

I believe the defense rests, your honor.

(Disclaimer:  Star Wars episode IV is the first movie I ever saw, I've seen all 6 of them in theaters, I like Star Wars.  I even like Bioware.  Once, I kind of tolerated WoW.  Doesn't mean they don't have their bad points, and it CERTAINLY doesn't mean that fusing them all together is guaranteed awesome.  I mean, I like axe body wash and I like pizza, but I wouldn't combine the two.)

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

OH YAY OH YAY!!!!!!

Just what we ALL wanted!!! A WoW clone in Star Wars clothing!!!

OH OH OH!!!

And because WoW is OP's favorite MMO...That means WE ARE ALL gonna just LOVE IT!!!!

GEE GOLLY NIFTY DANDY DEE!!!

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

Originally posted by denshing

Either way, you can't sell the argument that WoW was the first to do what it did. They stole from many ideas, chiefly * cough warhammer cough*. I see nothing wrong with useing successful ideas from other games to improve upon your own and make it authentic to you.

I actually look forward to trying out The Old Republic- this was directly toward the OP who is a complete hypocrite. Check the Rift boards.

As far as Knights of the Old Republic 3: The Don't Pirate Me Edition goes I'm sure it will be a great single player experience as the other KotOR games have been, I just don't think Bioware is going to have enough massively or even normal multiplayer content that will make it a game that lasts longer than it takes to play through each class. I'd like to be wrong on this as I'm pretty tired of the medieval/fantasy subgenre of MMOs and would like to see other games do exceedingly well.

The multiplayer aspects have me wondering as well. Personally, I have no doubt I will get my money's worth with the retail + first couple of months playing a few classes. However, the multiplayer aspects and the endgame are really going to be the glue that keeps the retention rate past the first first months..

If any positive press can be of any use in making a decision, Eurogamer had this to say as a closing statement to a fairly positive hands on experience. 

"But we've seen enough, at last, to believe that The Old Republic is a real MMO, and no-one's idea of a failed one."

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

Don't expect a WoW clone from this game. If that's what anyone is looking for, you WILL be disappointed. Even X Play had a hands on demo of the game and even they said combat was NOT like WoW. There is no auto attack in TOR. Also the attacks you make matter and you won't make every attack at the same time either. You have to pick and choose what attacks to use and when to use certain attacks depending on the situation that you're in. Again, don't expect WoW. I for one am greatly relieved. I'm really tired of playing EQ, reskinned as WoW, reskinned as yet another game. it's been a long downward spiral and I'm glad it's going to be different and that some companies are finally starting to wise up. I think this will be the greatest MMO of the modern era as far as MMO's are concerned. My favorite is still NWN when it ran on AOL.

One problem WoW has is that it was designed by EQ Uber guild leaders. These guys don't understand role playing in the context of a role playing game and Bioware does in spades. This is why WoW's game is all loot driven and all about being uber. Whereas any Bioware game is full of epic storylines where your character gets to be the hero. Bioware understands, Blizzard does not and likely never will. I don't typically get excited about games at all anymore. I'm tired of being promised the mountain from game companies only to be given an ant hill. I am however excited about ToR. One thing also you will notice about Bioware regarding ToR, is they also don't promise anything that they can't deliver. They only talk about things that are already done and in the game. It's a nice change. Bioware is a class act all the way around.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I don't believe ToR will be the best ever.  Because forever is a very long time indeed.  Do i think it will be fun? Sure.  Be great, i'm confident it will be.  Do i think it will be the best ever? No.  No game is, claiming it will be is to invite people to tear you or the game down.

I'm on the confident train, with BWs releases, sure they may have had a few that didn't do amazingly well. But most of those are from periods when they tried to do something outside of pure RPG.  Swtor is exactly that though, pure RPG that will have a lot of people together. So i'm confident that they can take Kotor (which is considered a very great game by most people) and turn it into an MMO.

ToR shares similarities in MMOs because its exactly that, an MMO.  It will share grouping features, raids, dungeons, loot.  Course I think these features go back further then MMOs.  Raids, dungeons and loot have been apart of the world since as far back as the dungeons and dragons era.  As for the grouping/talking to others, they used to have lan parties for that. Since then they've managed to upgrade it.

A lot of the features that make up our RPGs today were apart of the gaming world long before the invention of MMOs.  To touch on WoW for a moment. The only things WoW really did was to make quests more plentiful.  Instead of having 1 main quests and a couple side quests, now you have 3k quests and a main quest, and the style of graphics.  Everything else was pretty much a standard of RPG long before WoW  or any MMO came into existance.  So they can't really be copying aspects from a game when it's the standard of MMOs.   We don't know how many quests ToR will have.  They could have alot or a few that are really long that take a long time to complete.  They do have 1 shot worlds quests, but the kill 10 rats one seems more of a side note to me then a major thing, they seem to be focusing more on the long drawn out quests of World arcs and class story. 

I'm not saying what WoW did was bad, quite to the contrary, they brought MMOs into the greater part of the world which allowed companies such as EA to even want to invest in this game in the first place. what i'm trying to point out is RPG games have had a standard of how things go about since it's roots.  You are a hero (either by yourself or with a small team), you enter said town and hear there is a problem there, speaking with several people you finally are sent off to take care of this problem.  Along the way you meet other people and befriend them, all the while you are getting attacked by various creatures that are sent against you to take you down so that whatever master they serve can continue his/her/it's plan for domination of this fantasy world.  No MMO created this way of doing things. D&D did (to my knowledge)

Anyway i'm getting far off track here, back to the topic.  It's star wars yeah, that means i'm interested but i'm not sure it's a qualification of it being good, it helps with laying down the framework and people hear star wars so it's a hook.

As for BW, yeah that adds confidence as they are a studio known for making well made products.  I think what will draw people the most in game is they will feel like they are playing a RPG again (in the style of D&D). The people in the world are more then just people who just give you tasks, far more then standing NPCs that say go here, kill that.  They will go into their past, have emotions and react to how you treat them.  If your mean they will get angry.  However it doesn't always have to go that way. Giving players control again over what happens when they speak to these NPCs is what i think will draw people in, you and the people around you can decide how the game will play out, granted it isn't as free roaming as the D&D games were but then again we don't have the GMs standing over us changing things as the game progresses, give and take there i suppose.  Still it looks as close to what i remember D&D being as it's gotten so far.

It's more about the journey and slowly learning where your character fits into this world.  Not so much about the uber leet next piece of gear you get.  That is secondary, it's meant to make you strong enough to take you to the next encounter and really shouldn't be the entire point of the game.  I think end-game is exactly that, you reached the end of the game.  Now it just needs to be good enough to keep you interested while the people behind the scenes are making more of the game.  It's meant to keep you there so you don't leave, so naturally its suppose to keep you interested, but that isn't the point of the game.

So to wrap up cause this went much further then i expected it to.  We do have a winning formula here with star wars (cause it's a famous IP) Bioware (known for making great games) Mythic (known for it's PvP), and EA (known for it's marketing). Now can they turn this winning formula into a success? I think that can be answered when the game comes out.  I hope it does and basing my hope on what i've seen in the past from BW/LA cooperation.  Therefore i'm confident they can do it.  Not positive, not certain, confident.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, Wow invented the MMO mechanics.... wait it stole them from Meridian 59 and Everquest. 

How anyone can suggest that the online version of a game that released a year before Wow is a wow copy is beyond me.

Think before posting.

That TOR will be the best MMO ever is however unlikely but not impossible.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by whilan

I don't believe ToR will be the best ever.  Because forever is a very long time indeed.  Do i think it will be fun? Sure.  Be great, i'm confident it will be.  Do i think it will be the best ever? No.  No game is, claiming it will be is to invite people to tear you or the game down.

Ever released so far is possible I guess, MMOs as we see them today have only existed for 15 years. Including all future games is not a chance, if it is that great later games will use and improve it's mechanics.

• HensenLirosHensenLiros Member Posts: 461

1: Warhammer Online also failed. Star Trek also failed. Both IPs were SICK.

2: Mythic failed with Warhammer Online, and it made Dark Age of Camelot.

3: You're probably the only person who thinks that this is a positive aspect. I mean, after Cata not even WoW fanboys want to see WoW-like games anymore.

4:  See #1

And I think it'll fail.

Ultima Online 98~04
    Dark Age of Camelot 03~07
    Final Fantasy XI 04~06
    Guild Wars 05~08
    World of Warcraft 04~05
    Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

• EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194

As much as i hope and pray this will be the best mmo ever, sadly, in reality i dont think it'll achieve that. It has all the signs and symptoms of an overhyped but fail-to-deliver mmo. Especially when the hype makes everyone expect even more from it, raising the benchmarks 10 folds, it will be even harder for it to deliver full and not disappoint/fall-short-of expectations. I think its time this generation of avid mmo-gamers sat down and acknowledge the fact that, there can only be so many ideas/innovations that can bring about an air of freshness to a gaming genre, and sadly this genre has been bled dry of creativity. From what i see, gaming companies can only keep churning out the same stuff, in different skins to try to fool us into seeing something new.

I'd like to end this by saying, i reallly really pray/hope/wish i am wrong, i have been dying to find an mmo that can get me fully absorbed playing it.

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Some of my friends have already left wow and waiting for swtor.

Some others still playing wow and they dont care avout swtor.

I hope it ends to be a good game cause mmo industry is currently suffering from good games.

The truth is that we dont want only one good mmo we want more than 4 so we can have many options and not play an mmo cause it's better than other and there is nothing else good to play.

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

Originally posted by Toxilium

4. It's Star Wars.

1. Star Trek is way better and STO is not realy cool game - at least for me, because its not realy Star Trek. (And SW from BW looks kinda like STO so.. no)

2. BioWare is singleplayer game company - first MMO.. so, realy not that important who is creating the game - everyone can fail.

3. WoW is your favorite MMO of all time, there is plenty of ppl who would disagree with that. And also plenty of ppl who love WoW but want something else now than WoW cause they played WoW last 3+ years.

4. Like I said Star Trek > Star Wars. I think you know why.. :DD

Lot of ppl in WoW said many times I'm going to play this new MMO game and never return to WoW.. And they did return.

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

My honest opinion about this mmo..

It will not break 700k subs/ players. and thats giving alot of credits.

Its diffrent from other mmo's i will give you that, but iam not getting heated up with what ive seen so far, it looks like an old engine and i dont like shotting, and many might feel so to.

Dark Mellenium i might try, SW ? nope will not bite the hype for this one.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Err.

So it will be the best MMO of all times, but you cant give any reason whatsoever ?

Today either a MMO is sandbox skillbased or its a "WoW clone". And usually when MMOs are called "WoW clone", its an insult, not a praise. So that part means nothing.

Otherwise you only give "Star Wars", which leads to the disappointing Star Wars Galaxies, and Bioware, who never have published a MMO before.