Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hands down best mmorpg I've ever played

This game has everything imaginable and more.  I'm shocked at how deep it is, and how detailed.  Population is large, community is great, pvp, pve, all done better than anything i've played before.   A variation of full loot when you die, mixed with very safe playing as well.  Market economy, five card draw, player housing . . . uncharted waters online is hands down, the best mmorpg I've ever played.  Hope people begin commenting about this game so we can get it a review on this site.  

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

He is talking about Uncharted Waters.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Sounds great.  Maybe tell us which game you are talking about.

He said uncharted waters online. It's kind of hidden in the post.

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Lol, I did.  Just forgot to use capital letters in the title.  Uncharted Waters Online.  I guess it's hugely popular internationally, but pretty new in U.S. except for the old console games back in nineties.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

It does seem like that change of pace I need, havn't had much fun with these types of games in the past but the timing seems about right now.

Couple questions before I try it though, is movement limited to clicking only or is WDSA enabled too? and is the CS needed to even propperly PvE (seems like some room for some cs abuse, like needing to buy stronger ships to handle the AI)?

Edit: just checked the site, WSDA seems to be an option thankfully, can't stand clicking 1000's of times to move around.

WASD is movement, although you really only need your mouse to move and do things, the rest of the time you'll be chatting.   (very active community)  I haven't paid a dime yet, was going to but was told the cash shop really only helped once you got to higher levels, and then it wasn't neccessary, but quicker.  Everyone playing this game seems to love it, and there is strategy in everything you do, and unexpected details.  I just found out you can invest in cities and ports, and based on players investing they get new NPCs, items, and shops.  Its unreal.

(Actually to clarify, the cash shop is'nt  for stuff like unbelievable armour and weapons.  It's for more sailing speed, or more fame gain . . . stuff you don't need to compete against other players.  I know this game isn't free except in the West, so who knows how long that will last, because cash shop doesn't offer much other than sailing speed which is like increased mount speed.)

Ok, i learned from other players that the cash shop contains primarily quality recipes and fame gain geared towards players who are settled and high in levels. (which takes a while in this game)  New and intermediate players are better off just to play.  From what I've been told, it keeps player retention in mind, and for that reason doesn't offer ships, or armour, or weapons.  

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Cash shop. Pass.

Lol . . . you're loss.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by GrayGreene

This game has everything imaginable and more.  I'm shocked at how deep it is, and how detailed.  Population is large, community is great, pvp, pve, all done better than anything i've played before.   A variation of full loot when you die, mixed with very safe playing as well.  Market economy, five card draw, player housing . . . uncharted waters online is hands down, the best mmorpg I've ever played.  Hope people begin commenting about this game so we can get it a review on this site.  

Dont think so mate

Hey Zefire, not sure why you're posting on this thread?  I appreciate the opinions of others, but you haven't given any valuable opinion nor insight.  Don't think so?  What don't you think?  Why don't you think it? Please respect certain threads, and only post if you have some good information, or valuable insight that others my find helpful in deciding which games to play.  This game is certainly not for everyone, but I'd like to keep this thread informative.  Thanks, mate.

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

This game is A-m-a-z-i-n-g.

After the mmorpg boring cloning festival these last 2 years up to Perpetuum, finally found a solid balanced sandbox game.

It's basically UO + Eve Online + tons of content + immersion + polished + fun.

Don't expect to reach end game after a week of play, this is a long term evolving & addictive saga.

The cash shop is just non game breaking at all.

UWO rocks

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

I just downloaded the game and doing the looong tutorial. I created a military character and I was wondering if I'll be able to be a pirate and if it will be similar to EvE. Any experienced player could clarify this, please?

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

I just downloaded the game and doing the looong tutorial. I created a military character and I was wondering if I'll be able to be a pirate and if it will be similar to EvE. Any experienced player could clarify this, please?

As to being a pirate, yes you are able to become a pirate.  However, most pirates are typcially high level with resources since you get flagged as a pirate, and tavern keepers in ports will give other players information on your bounty.  There is also a search function where you are flagged as a pirate and can be attacked not only in hostile waters, but in controlled waters as well.  Although I am not experienced yet with this game, I did  just finish a tutorial (lecture) that explained becoming a pirate.  It sounds really fun, and you get notoriety with tavern keepers telling players about your name, and your bounty and such.  However, it seems a bit difficult, and definitely not something for a beginner to attempt.  You'll also hurt your relationships with any countries whose players you have attacked.  Unfortunately, I have not tried Eve yet, so I cannot give a comparison.  Hopefully someone will respond to this thread concerning a comparison to Eve and a more experienced detail of becoming a pirate.  Also, the  pirate lectures come in the advanced school in Pisa.  So don't expect to  get them if you just started out.  Hope you enjoy this game as much as I do, and good luck.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Well, generally, i agree with OP, UWO is a good and different MMO from the rest that is on the market now, a lot of sandbox aspect, and good for people who love crafting and trading, with the deep crafting

Although for me, it isn't the best MMORPG that i have played, but i do like it for the 1st 2 months since release, after coming from WoW, this game give you something different in game play

the best thing i love about UWO is your ability to recruit sailor, and how you will manage your ship so it can travel across the world, and not to mention, that the World is HUGE! and i think you can almost go anywhere in the world, although i never really made it out from the Venice starting area, i used to plan to go to Indonesia, lol

but after a couple of months, it just get boring for me, because of the slow pace, especially the sea battle,

well, over all it's a good experience, but yeah, this game is not for everybody

So What Now?

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

Gee! I don’t understand why people complain about sea battle being too hard or slow paced and boring the battle system in this game is so balanced that I am almost at lvl 50 and a lvl 30 character can still beat me

the combat system is a mix of player skills and character abilities it doesn’t matter how high your level is since you can forget skills in this game so it balances it out by requiring high level skills

this is how it goes the easiest to lvl is actually battle once you break the point of having really bad equipment and gain skills for weapon crafting battle is the easiest to lvl followed by trade wich consumes time only and finally adventure which is the hardest to level because it requires you to repeat quests to raise you skills and travel to other places

playing for 1-2 months you really haven’t even scratched the surface of the game and understood anything I have been playing since day 1 of CBT-OBT and there are still a lot of questions I need answered especially since the new Aztec update came out

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by thecrap

Gee! I don’t understand why people complain about sea battle being too hard or slow paced and boring the battle system in this game is so balanced that I am almost at lvl 50 and a lvl 30 character can still beat me

the combat system is a mix of player skills and character abilities it doesn’t matter how high your level is since you can forget skills in this game so it balances it out by requiring high level skills

this is how it goes the easiest to lvl is actually battle once you break the point of having really bad equipment and gain skills for weapon crafting battle is the easiest to lvl followed by trade wich consumes time only and finally adventure which is the hardest to level because it requires you to repeat quests to raise you skills and travel to other places

playing for 1-2 months you really haven’t even scratched the surface of the game and understood anything I have been playing since day 1 of CBT-OBT and there are still a lot of questions I need answered especially since the new Aztec update came out

I haven't had much experience with other ship type battle systems to compare myself. I thinkt he ship battles aren't too bad, and I play cooperatively with a few people.

If i have any strong complaints of the game is that the port system makes it a little more difficult to play with people from other nations. We get our ports at different rates, and that can be strange when they can go to the Carribean, I can't, but I can get to India. Oh, and I think the game could spend more time explaining group dynamics and skills better. I am still not sure if my skills as an adventurer avoiding pirates works only if I am admiral or if it works regardless of my group position, for example.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• salokinsalokin Member Posts: 1

I need some help with the game here guys, i actualy cant start it cause of a failure to initialise gamemon...

If it has any connection i use microsoft security essentials and vista's build in firewall.

any ideas?

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I played for a few hours and the game seems pretty good based on what I was expecting.  I enjoyed the little time I played.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AglarannaAglaranna Member Posts: 204

All right, I'm going to give this a shot. Downloading now. Though the idea of a 1-hour long tutorial sounds like a form of gamer torture, hopefully I can get past it.

This winter has been so brutal, I've been stuck inside so much that I am absolutely stir crazy! I hope UWO can provide some entertainment!

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

^ I think I will too.... it seems solid enough for me to bother and download it. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Been more than a month now that I started this mmo, putting aside Eve & DFO.

At first i found it quite amazing.

But now, i can say this : This game is more than that, it's freaking  * Awesome * 

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by Aglaranna

All right, I'm going to give this a shot. Downloading now. Though the idea of a 1-hour long tutorial sounds like a form of gamer torture, hopefully I can get past it.

Just a note on the tutorial, it's basically a "school" and can last well over an hour, can be even days -- however don't get locked into thinking you HAVE to do the tutorial in one chunk. There are nine schools total, beg-intermediate-advanced for each of trade, adventure and maritime, and doing all nine is rewarding but also a big investment of time.

I always do a couple of the school classes, then wander off and do some things that intrigue me, explore a bit, trade some, come back and do some more of the school etc. It takes me a while to get through it but I am always there because I am interested in what it might have for me, not because I need to in order to "get to the good stuff".  

What I love about this game is that you don't feel compelled to do ANYTHING except what catches your interest. So if the school is starting to get drudgery for you, take regular timeouts from classes to just explore the world and have some fun ^_^ 

The 'tutorial' will explain a lot of the game content and introduce you to parts you might not discover on your own but it is not mandatory to do school "first" and fun later! Make it just one of your many options on how to spend your time.

This is a game where you really want to not rush through content, but instead savor it all. At least for me.

• aika_sato25aika_sato25 Member Posts: 6

Neat!^_^

I'm glad you guys are having a great time

and Hi! brash I haven't seen you online for quite some time how has your website been?
    I haven't seen you post an update ^_^

if I remember it was call Brash endeavors and it was a cooking guide

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by aika_sato25

and Hi! brash I haven't seen you online for quite some time how has your website been?

Yes I took a timeout from the game for a bit, but back now so perhaps I''ll actually work on that site a bit and expand it better so its more useful ^_^

Right now I am trying out adventurer/Biologist on a new character because I always did mostly trading before and I've heard the adventure part of the game is really one of the best parts!

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by brash99

Originally posted by aika_sato25

Yes I took a timeout from the game for a bit, but back now so perhaps I''ll actually work on that site a bit and expand it better so its more useful ^_^

Right now I am trying out adventurer/Biologist on a new character because I always did mostly trading before and I've heard the adventure part of the game is really one of the best parts!

I did leave a post on your excellent laid out site, it never got published. :(

I have asked NM to ask you if a similar format could be used for the official forum but they didn't seem interested.

When you are done please leave a post there to inform others of it's existance so that it can be linked it to the Guide reference.

Welcome back Brash.