Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anti-aliasing

LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

I just took a peek into the settings of Rift for beta 5 and it looks like they have included anti-aliasing.  Now I can finally get rid of those jagged edges. image

It's a Jeep thing. . .
_______
|___image|
\_______/
= image||||||image =
|X| \*........*/ |X|
|X|_________|X|
You wouldn't understand

Comments

• justamemoryjustamemory Member Posts: 200

inorite!

REJOICE!

death 2 teh jaggeez!

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

YAYYYYY!!!*Kermit waving arms* :D

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Originally posted by Locklain

I just took a peek into the settings of Rift for beta 5 and it looks like they have included anti-aliasing.  Now I can finally get rid of those jagged edges. image

I just wanted to say...AWSOME SIG DUDE!

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by marzatplay

Originally posted by Locklain

I just wanted to say...AWSOME SIG DUDE!

Thanks!  It took me forever to build on this site and I see that some of the formations have been cut off...  Might have to do a little fixin'!

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • deadmilkdeadmilk Member Posts: 173

"* Antialiasing is now an option under Advanced Video Settings. This reduces the 'jaggies' along the outlines of objects by using an edge-smoothing technique.

* 2x and 4x Antialising options are also available. These generate higher quality antialiasing results at the a VERY LARGE expense of framerate. If your video card is already operating at max, this feature can cost you 50 to 75% of your FPS."

And they weren't joking about the performance drop.  4x made my fps go from 55 down to 12 on ultra settings.  I'm interested to hear how it affects other people.  I'm using a 480gtx video card, i7 930 overclocked cpu, and 6 gigs of ram.

• LauZaIMLauZaIM Member Posts: 46

Shouldn't be all that surprising that you get a huge hit in FPS considering the AA used in-game is SuperSampling which requires more power then your typical MultiSampling AA.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

FPS went down from 30 to 15 on ultra, 1920x1080 with enabled 4xAA

Phenom II @3.6Gh, 4meg ram, GTX 285, W7.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

I had custom settings with everything you could possibly adjust set to maximum @ 1920x1080.

I was getting 56fps with no AA... 44 smooth edges... 31 with 2xAA and 18 with 4xAA

I get 90+ FPS on ultra settings.

Anyway... I continue the theory that AA takes pretty big chunks out of your FPS on this game.