Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting in Rift

dirlokdirlok Member UncommonPosts: 16

Hey all,

I've done a little searching and I've not found anything about the crafting. I have 2 main questions.

1) Can anyone show me or link me in the direction of information about crafting?

2) Has crafting been in beta? If so, what current MMO has the closest crafting system to that of Rift?

Thanks

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

The common consensus appears to be that the crafting in rift is basically the same as in wow.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

3 Gathering and 5 crafting, you get to choose 3 of these 8.

http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Crafting

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by romanator0

The common consensus appears to be that the crafting in rift is basically the same as in wow.

Except that each craft requires two gathering professions so instead of two you get three professions to pick up. Also there are certain differences. One example being armorsmithing. As an armorsmith I can breakdown armor for raw materials. It's a small difference but enough of one that I spent quite a few hours hunting for gear to break down. Also we have no idea how important crafted gear will be at endgame. If rift crafting is more than just crafting one set of armor or a weapon before moving onto raid/pvp gear it will be superior to what wow offers. Craftig is all but worthless in wow at endgame.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Crafting in rift is such that it is pretty easy with the materials to get to high skill levels -- albeit the materials needed will be a bit higher now that you can not get back more of specific mats than you put in on rare occasion (before you could use a 1 with 4 recipie to hope to get 2 back on the mat you were low on -- wont work now). 

The big stopping point in crafting is getting the recipies.  If you simply skill up a mule to max crafting level you will be able to craft all the green stuff you like for about 2/3rds of the slots.  Not all that useful.

To craft blues + you typically need to get factions -- pvp in some cases, area factions in others, to a lesser extent marks from doing the daily tasks, and generally use rare crafting mats as well.

-----

About the only one that is really hard to level is apothocary -- some of those plants that you need are hard to find.  Armor and weapon crafting are relatively hard due to metal being non-trivial to find.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by centkin

Crafting in rift is such that it is pretty easy with the materials to get to high skill levels -- albeit the materials needed will be a bit higher now that you can not get back more of specific mats than you put in on rare occasion (before you could use a 1 with 4 recipie to hope to get 2 back on the mat you were low on -- wont work now). 

The big stopping point in crafting is getting the recipies.  If you simply skill up a mule to max crafting level you will be able to craft all the green stuff you like for about 2/3rds of the slots.  Not all that useful.

To craft blues + you typically need to get factions -- pvp in some cases, area factions in others, to a lesser extent marks from doing the daily tasks, and generally use rare crafting mats as well.

-----

About the only one that is really hard to level is apothocary -- some of those plants that you need are hard to find.  Armor and weapon crafting are relatively hard due to metal being non-trivial to find.

I played Beta 2 and tried to mess around with crafting but never found any recepies.. how do you even obtain them? Maybe they wernt avaliable in Beta 2...

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The crafting trainer was giving recipes, at least for the little bit that I levelled crafting.

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

A lot of the recipes require faction with NPC. I was not very lucky in my low lvl dungeons when it came to gear. Though with the faction I had earned.  I just ended up making some great stuff.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

I played Beta 2 and tried to mess around with crafting but never found any recepies.. how do you even obtain them? Maybe they wernt avaliable in Beta 2...

As Defiant I went to the main city, cant remember the name, but they had repeatable (daily) crafting quests which gave you token so you could get non-skill trainer taught recipies.

Also to the OP, Rift has the option to add a buff to your weapon or armor when you create it. So lets say you can craft a sword with +2 str and +1 dex you can add (I cant remember what its called for the life of me) an ingrediant to say add and extra +1 str or +1 wis.

So as per that example you could make a sword +3 str and +1 dex if you had the correct str buff ingredient.

I also think you have a chance to roll a critical when crafting and truly make something good, but as of yet its never happened to me.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Rift's crafting system is piss poor. Do not expect anything remotely beyond WoW's crafting system. The crafter is not Rifts primary target in terms of audience as it feels like a tacked on under developed feature rather than a core design element.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Ohhh, so your one of those sploiters taking advantage of the 2 for one specials huh?

So far, up to say level 22ish (best I got with crafting on the side) I found most crafted items to at or better than the normal or quested gear I could get or find. Not always better than the rare and ups, but some were comparible. I'm honestly hoping the trend continues.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

As hard as metal is to come by (I barely had enough iron to max out the iron crafting with a metric ton of farming iron) it would have been insane to skip recipies that used one iron bar or one copper bar before that.  All I can hope (and I havent been back into beta yet obviously -- that happens later today) is that they updated those recipies in other ways as well.  In essence before there were recipies that were like -- uses 2 iron bars and nothing else, and others that used say 1 iron bar and 4 things you could buy from the store for at least the value of 2 iron bars if anyone were actually going to sell them. Another recipie might have the difference between 4 iron bars and 3 iron bars with 4 leather.  What you got back from breaking down an item was more in the total value of the item than exactly how many iron bars and all you got back from an iron item was the iron bars.  Hence it was possible(but quite rare) to get back 2 iron bars from a recipie that inclued 5 things of which only 1 was an iron bar.  The ratio was around 35% you got nothing 55% you got back 1 and 10% you got back two anyway.  Thing is though if they rebalance that around 1 being max I am guessing it will be more like you get back nothing 60% and 1 bar 40% now if it runs to pattern.

So in essence it will only serve to make the iron node camping that much worse.  Personally I am hoping that in addition to the above change they upped the ratio you got back for the other items that you have to craft that use more iron later in the iron tier (so when you are stuck making 4 iron bar items to level, that you can get back 3 or 4 back more often instead of it being (by my experience) 15% you get nothing 45% you get back one, and 40% you get back 2.  AND if they are going to make the 1 iron 4 something else items yield less iron than a 2 iron nothing else item that it would sometimes give you back the other subs that you used when you break an item down.

People were complaining that it was really hard to get metal -- that the nodes were too scarce etc -- and that crafting needed too many.  Addressing that issue by having recrafts give back less metal is not exactly what people were looking for.

As hard as metal is to come by (I barely had enough iron to max out the iron crafting with a metric ton of farming iron) it would have been insane to skip recipies that used one iron bar or one copper bar before that.  All I can hope (and I havent been back into beta yet obviously -- that happens later today) is that they updated those recipies in other ways as well.  In essence before there were recipies that were like -- uses 2 iron bars and nothing else, and others that used say 1 iron bar and 4 things you could buy from the store for at least the value of 2 iron bars if anyone were actually going to sell them. Another recipie might have the difference between 4 iron bars and 3 iron bars with 4 leather.  What you got back from breaking down an item was more in the total value of the item than exactly how many iron bars and all you got back from an iron item was the iron bars.  Hence it was possible(but quite rare) to get back 2 iron bars from a recipie that inclued 5 things of which only 1 was an iron bar.  The ratio was around 35% you got nothing 55% you got back 1 and 10% you got back two anyway.  Thing is though if they rebalance that around 1 being max I am guessing it will be more like you get back nothing 60% and 1 bar 40% now if it runs to pattern.

So in essence it will only serve to make the iron node camping that much worse.  Personally I am hoping that in addition to the above change they upped the ratio you got back for the other items that you have to craft that use more iron later in the iron tier (so when you are stuck making 4 iron bar items to level, that you can get back 3 or 4 back more often instead of it being (by my experience) 15% you get nothing 45% you get back one, and 40% you get back 2.  AND if they are going to make the 1 iron 4 something else items yield less iron than a 2 iron nothing else item that it would sometimes give you back the other subs that you used when you break an item down.

People were complaining that it was really hard to get metal -- that the nodes were too scarce etc -- and that crafting needed too many.  Addressing that issue by having recrafts give back less metal is not exactly what people were looking for.

Trust me I know what your talking about. I was going nutts myself on the ore until I decided to just walk someplace way away from everyone else. Got me a nice spot FULL of badies that had like 6 nodes inside there area. I spent about 3 hours there just killing from node to node. By the time I was done my bags were full and I had enough ore to push completely thru that tier. The nodes are out there, you just have to be willing to risk some time to get away from the easy and well populated sites. And yeah I know there are a ton of people who say there is nothing out there off the path, which is fine by me really, because if they dont come out to where i am leaves all that ore for me.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

Oh I know where the ore is -- I spent a lot of time farming the ore and some of it was in places like that -- Even ended up with gloamwood exploration achievements I went so many places. 

And if you think any hidden place with 3 or more potentially iron nodes will not have either someone farming it for the metal or more likely someone farming it for RMT when the game is released, you will have a huge surprise coming. 

I found places with monsters -- places REALLY out of the way without monsters -- mostly underground -- and yes it was faster to camp a 4 node underground area even as slow as the nodes respawned than it was to try to roam the whole outside world and find nodes BUT there is going to be HUGE competition for those nodes.

One other thing that could help would be if more green/white decompable to iron items dropped off monsters.  As it stands very few such items come from monsters and if it were 5 times more likely to find low end greens, people might choose to decomp these 6 gold items for the chance at 2 iron bars (and yes iron is going to be really really expensive when the game comes out -- my guess is iron is going to zip up to 30 gold per iron bar as soon as people have 2 nickels to rub together).

Yeah I know its going to be worth a pretty penny when it goes live, and I'm counting on just that too. Because I know there will be a HUGE percentage of people who niether want to spend the time to farm it, nor want to go out of the way to get it. My first toon is going to be all 3 gathering professions for that very reason. For the first 2 months I expect to sell everything I can get my mitts on and level my crafts AFTER the market starts to run dry. SO yeah, I do hope they keep it low on spawns, and leave the opportunity off the beaten path for people like me willing to go look for it. Its just another incentive to stay off those pesky rails, and make some good cash to boot at the same time.

• dirlokdirlok Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by Hokie

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

As Defiant I went to the main city, cant remember the name, but they had repeatable (daily) crafting quests which gave you token so you could get non-skill trainer taught recipies.

Also to the OP, Rift has the option to add a buff to your weapon or armor when you create it. So lets say you can craft a sword with +2 str and +1 dex you can add (I cant remember what its called for the life of me) an ingrediant to say add and extra +1 str or +1 wis.

So as per that example you could make a sword +3 str and +1 dex if you had the correct str buff ingredient.

I also think you have a chance to roll a critical when crafting and truly make something good, but as of yet its never happened to me.

Excellent, lets hope it is this way as I'm obviously looking for the next level above WoW style crafting.

thank you all for the replies. I'm trying Beta now and will spend a bit of time working out crafting. If I get the time, I'll post my findings on this forum.