Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patch is fail down for over a day

2

Comments

  • ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

    Unread Today, 23:39

      #92 (permalink)



    Administrator


     

    Henrik Nystrom's Avatar


     


    Join Date: Apr 2008


     


     




    default




    Ok, so we are starting to have everything in place now.

    We had to boot the server a few times since we put it online to change some things. We are doing another boot now to correct some melee damage changes in the codes that made some weapons doing to little or to much damage. Some players say they experience a bit more "shaky" movement than before, this is because now we have much more accurate position which means you may see some shaky movement adjustment but you then know he is in correct position. I think most agree its better to have this rather than have them a few seconds behind in wrong direction. We will now do carefully changes in this new system which makes its a bit smoother.



    For the rocky patch launch we will give everyone 2 days to their account.

    Remember to submit any bug or issue in bug tracker so we can go through them. Not on the forums.



    Thanks


    __________________

     

    server is being rebooted a few times

  • HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

    More desync, flying and player warping.... Perhaps they need another 48 hours

     

     

     

    "L saw me fly up a cliff and back down when I moved forward a couple of metres, also people still slide randomly."

    "The chars seem to keep moving for 2 seconds after they stop and then they move back to where they were."

    "I moved one char to the storage and stopped there and I could see it in the other client the char passing by the storage and then "warping" back to the correct positiion"

    "we get shit patches because we allow it, this shitty community has no unity to make a point and mass cancel all subs until we get what we want thats the problem"

    "why do you think now MO has like 10% of the release population?cause of patches like this that people do not tolerate"

    "it's cause all negative stuff is getting deleted on forums"

    "theres plenty of fanboys that say "patch is perfect great job sv"

    "any post on the forums that point the negative side of MO are deleted"

    "do you think it is a good approach to say that you should leave the game completely rather than trying to discuss it's problems?

    "massive fatal errorfest in combat image

    "when i ran to a specific spot and stopped, different players saw me stop at different places. so the prediction probably depends on the player's connection"

     

     

    Join the chat at MO IRC

     

    http://www.mortalonline.com/ircpage



     

  • ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

    Unread Today, 02:14

      #5 (permalink)



    Newbie


     

    Ivanzypher's Avatar


     


    Join Date: Feb 2010


     


     




    default




    Seems perfect right now for me. No sliding around or being hit from half a mile away. Tested this with me and my bro, sat in the same room. Had a fight with rags/training swords, and it was actually fun, which is a first for me in this game. So a big thumbs up from me. If we just had a few more attack options (ala Mount&Blade) and there was no need charge attacks, then the combat would be great.


    Ivanzypher is online now Report Post

    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

     


    Old Today, 01:22

      #25 (permalink)



    Newbie


     


    Join Date: Mar 2009


     


     




    default




    Pets appear much better, attack, follow etc

    Also they have crossed the few bridges, kept up with me and not stopped then carried on in the three trot run some used to.

    Tomorrow I shall take a long node crossing run to see how that goes.

    Barely touched on the combat yet, need to get a group organised for testing solo, teams etc..

    I have heard fishing has issues, so thats on the test list.


    phocian is online now Report Post

    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 14,129

    For the record.. negative posts are outnumbering positives by 3-1.  This guy from WSX seems to sum up the most blatant issues the best:

     


    The prediction system isn't really working as efficiently as it should be. It's 'over' predicting and with the many duels I have done so far it's safe to say that it does need some work.



    The issues are the following:



    Over prediction



    A fighter will sprint, stop, but on everyone else's screen he will keep sliding until he warps back to the position he is in on his screen



    Flying people



    The flying people are flying because it seems like the prediction system thinks that bushes and tree branches are solid ground on which you should be standing on and therefore places you on top of them while on your client you remain on the ground.



    Swinging through people



    Although everything feels smoother, you still swing through people and people still hit you while facing the other way. Sometimes they even run right in front of you on a perpendicular path as if charging towards someone else. It is near impossible to perfect block as it has all come down to random chance of whether or not the prediction system is on your side. Pre-patch, the prediction system had more consistency and we could all move accordingly, but currently it is entirely random. I believe someone compared the movements to the Electric Slide.



    In short, the pre-patch prediction system was the lesser of the two evils. That is what I have managed to pull from the patch so far. Keep up the good work Starvault.

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • shogunoneshogunone Member Posts: 85

    Originally posted by ange10

    Unread Today, 02:14

      #5 (permalink)



    Newbie


     

    Ivanzypher's Avatar


     



    Join Date: Feb 2010


     


     




    default




    Seems perfect right now for me. No sliding around or being hit from half a mile away. Tested this with me and my bro, sat in the same room. Had a fight with rags/training swords, and it was actually fun, which is a first for me in this game. So a big thumbs up from me. If we just had a few more attack options (ala Mount&Blade) and there was no need charge attacks, then the combat would be great.


    Ivanzypher is online now Report Post

    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

     


    Old Today, 01:22

      #25 (permalink)



    Newbie


     



    Join Date: Mar 2009


     


     




    default




    Pets appear much better, attack, follow etc

    Also they have crossed the few bridges, kept up with me and not stopped then carried on in the three trot run some used to.

    Tomorrow I shall take a long node crossing run to see how that goes.

    Barely touched on the combat yet, need to get a group organised for testing solo, teams etc..

    I have heard fishing has issues, so thats on the test list.


    phocian is online now Report Post

    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

     

    Angel are you part of SV's "viral marketing"?  Why did you not post the link to the forum you cherry picked those positive posts out of the heap of the negative ones???  Here I will do it for you.

    http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/58178-ok-im-impresssed.html

     

    here is another one

     

    http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/58183-patch-bad.html

     

     

    Try not to lie to people or miss inform the patch like every SV patch is full of fail.

  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

    Originally posted by shogunone

    Originally posted by ange10

    Unread Today, 02:14

      #5 (permalink)



    Newbie


     

    Ivanzypher's Avatar


     


    Join Date: Feb 2010


     


     




    default




    Seems perfect right now for me. No sliding around or being hit from half a mile away. Tested this with me and my bro, sat in the same room. Had a fight with rags/training swords, and it was actually fun, which is a first for me in this game. So a big thumbs up from me. If we just had a few more attack options (ala Mount&Blade) and there was no need charge attacks, then the combat would be great.


    Ivanzypher is online now Report Post

    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

     


    Old Today, 01:22

      #25 (permalink)



    Newbie


     


    Join Date: Mar 2009


     


     




    default




    Pets appear much better, attack, follow etc

    Also they have crossed the few bridges, kept up with me and not stopped then carried on in the three trot run some used to.

    Tomorrow I shall take a long node crossing run to see how that goes.

    Barely touched on the combat yet, need to get a group organised for testing solo, teams etc..

    I have heard fishing has issues, so thats on the test list.


    phocian is online now Report Post

    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

     

    Angel are you part of SV's "viral marketing"?  Why did you not post the link to the forum you cherry picked those positive posts out of the heap of the negative ones???  Here I will do it for you.

    http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/58178-ok-im-impresssed.html

     

    here is another one

     

    http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/58183-patch-bad.html

     

     

    Try not to lie to people or miss inform the patch like every SV patch is full of fail.

     

    Well, there are a handful of other people who cherry pick only negative posts, and who have been cherry picking ONLY negative posts, or overexaggerating, or using extremist terminology (heap, full of fail) on this forum for years.  Him doing so would have simply been a duplication of their obsessive propaganda effort.

    They do need to continue to tune the prediction system, but overall it appears to be an improvement in how combat works from my experience in playing it yesterday.

    Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910


    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    For the record.. negative posts are outnumbering positives by 3-1.  This guy from WSX seems to sum up the most blatant issues the best:
      The prediction system isn't really working as efficiently as it should be. It's 'over' predicting and with the many duels I have done so far it's safe to say that it does need some work.

    The issues are the following:

    Over prediction

    A fighter will sprint, stop, but on everyone else's screen he will keep sliding until he warps back to the position he is in on his screen

    Flying people

    The flying people are flying because it seems like the prediction system thinks that bushes and tree branches are solid ground on which you should be standing on and therefore places you on top of them while on your client you remain on the ground.

    Swinging through people

    Although everything feels smoother, you still swing through people and people still hit you while facing the other way. Sometimes they even run right in front of you on a perpendicular path as if charging towards someone else. It is near impossible to perfect block as it has all come down to random chance of whether or not the prediction system is on your side. Pre-patch, the prediction system had more consistency and we could all move accordingly, but currently it is entirely random. I believe someone compared the movements to the Electric Slide.

    In short, the pre-patch prediction system was the lesser of the two evils. That is what I have managed to pull from the patch so far. Keep up the good work Starvault.


    It just amazes me that anyone would pay money to play a game where this stuff happens at all, much less on a regular basis. This is all in the hopes that someday, the game will show you a person who's actually standing in front of you.

    >.<

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

    Originally posted by Rohn

     

     

    Well, there are a handful of other people who cherry pick only negative posts, and who have been cherry picking ONLY negative posts, or overexaggerating, or using extremist terminology (heap, full of fail) on this forum for years.  Him doing so would have simply been a duplication of their obsessive propaganda effort.

    {Mod Edit}

     

    Back on topic:

    Its seems after taking down the games only server  for  2 days of "testing", this patch seems just as problematic as the others.

  • funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

    Originally posted by HanoverZ

    Originally posted by Rohn


     

     

    Well, there are a handful of other people who cherry pick only negative posts, and who have been cherry picking ONLY negative posts, or overexaggerating, or using extremist terminology (heap, full of fail) on this forum for years.  Him doing so would have simply been a duplication of their obsessive propaganda effort.

    {Mod Edit}

     

     

     

    {Mod Edit}

     

    Funny thing is, the annoying 'fanbots' that you think you're in constant battle with, probably wouldn't be defending MO NEARLY as much if the people here just spoke honestly about the game, instead of trying as desperately as possible to make the game sound as terrible as possible.

  • cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

    Originally posted by kastrix

    ^ this

     

    do we get compensated when blizzard takes down the server every wensday morning for a few houers EVERY week?

     

    Actually you do.

    Check your subscription history, you will see that you're compensated every month for every individual server maintenance/patch deployment. Also, it is scheduled (as hercules pointed out) and always given a rough estimate of down-time that's rarely exceeded by more then a few hours without additional notice being given as soon as you log in game.

    Now while you might be trolling, in all fairness comparing Blizzard to SV is a no-brainer. Blizzard has the money and the staff to track & pay & plan everything, SV is a 5 coder/5 artist/5-intern/5 management team of kids with 0 experience at running an MMO, running it from dad's allowance. That is why Blizzard CAN charge 12-13€ for their monthly sub, and if you're comparing services provided SV should be charging 2-3€ max for their monthly sub.

  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 14,129

    Originally posted by Rohn

    Originally posted by shogunone


     

     

    Angel are you part of SV's "viral marketing"?  Why did you not post the link to the forum you cherry picked those positive posts out of the heap of the negative ones???  Here I will do it for you.

    http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/58178-ok-im-impresssed.html

     

    here is another one

     

    http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/58183-patch-bad.html

     

     

    Try not to lie to people or miss inform the patch like every SV patch is full of fail.

     

    Well, there are a handful of other people who cherry pick only negative posts, and who have been cherry picking ONLY negative posts, or overexaggerating, or using extremist terminology (heap, full of fail) on this forum for years.  Him doing so would have simply been a duplication of their obsessive propaganda effort.

    They do need to continue to tune the prediction system, but overall it appears to be an improvement in how combat works from my experience in playing it yesterday.

     If someone cherry picks something that is inconsistent with the overall tone of the thread then simply do what shogunone did and link to the thread and point out that obvious inconsistency.  The "Johnny did it to!" excuse doesn't hold water.

     

    Anyhow, as stated above the general tone and reaction to the patch has been negative. While some people are posting they see an improvement they appear to be the minority.

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • kastrixkastrix Member Posts: 75

    yea, your probaly right. my point anyways what that mmo servers beaing down isn't unusual. atm i dont play either mo or wow but even if i would i would be fine with downtime aslong as i get compensated. I still hope we will get a mmo some day witch will offer day subscribsion for 13$/30 days where you can chose o with days you want to draw time. or mabey even a system where you get compensated like 2 min gametime for every 1 min downtime. then we would have like a year of subcribsion for mo xD 

     

    sorry for bad english (swe)

  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 14,129

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • shogunoneshogunone Member Posts: 85

    Seems fatal errors are on the rise, people who used to not get them are now getting them.  How can you take the server down for 2 days of "testing" and have more bugs than the usual patch day bugs.  Well I seriously almost did not let my sub end to try this patch I am glad it ended 2 days ago.  People should protest the total lack of any kind of MMO dev experience and unsub.  It is 7 months in and there has not been one patch that did not introduce game breaking bugs or serious exploits.  It is not like they are all of a sudden going to turn a switch on and do a 180 and all of a suddne there is good patches.  That would need a lot more schooling.

    The rich kid playing MMO CEO needs to be put in his place. 

     

    http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/58217-if-we-fatal-error.html

  • pawmaulpawmaul Member Posts: 42

    I am so glad i didnt buy this game , that being said it has been quite entertaining watching this disater unfold .

  • SyncrosonixSyncrosonix Member Posts: 341

    Originally posted by pawmaul

    I am so glad i didnt buy this game , that being said it has been quite entertaining watching this disater unfold .

    indeed.

    image
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 14,129

    The Starvault CEO admits that this patch has made the game "basicly unplayable"

     

     


    Unread Today, 10:46

      #7 (permalink)


    Henrik Nystrom vbmenu_register("postmenu_1094807", true);


    Administrator


     

    Henrik Nystrom's Avatar


     


    Join Date: Apr 2008




     




    default






    Quote:


    Originally Posted by Aezreal View Post


    The combat itself is pretty much hard to test since everyone is warping/flying.



    So it's basicly unplayable.


    This, we are woking on tweaking movement in larger scale. Also relation to higher ms connections. As long as you analyze the comabt alone you will notice a good difference, but it makes it hard overall when counting in movement as well. This is our top prio to solve atm, and we are very interested in getting in contact with players ingame with these issues as it is not everyone that gets affected that much. We have a few guys on irc that you can talk to in helping us tweak the numbers.


    __________________

    CEO, Founder & Game designer


    Henrik Nystrom is offline Report Post

    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message


     

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

    Want to know the most amazing thing about all of this?

     

    Nobody has even *thought* about a rollback. And there's good reason -- because they don't know how. Real programmers are forced to use source repositories for all their code checkins/checkouts and builds. That means if they have a problem, they can roll back to version 1.1 instead of 1.2 that they just rolled out. The problem is that SV never implemented anything like this, otherwise they'd already be back on the older version. They are stuck with fixing the problems that their "patch" caused.

     

    We have all seen that patch after patch it breaks something new, and it seems that this is one of the pinnacles of their development to have huge failures. Bad code upon bad code upon bad code does not lead to a working product. While there was a glimmer of hope for MO maybe a year ago, that hope is at this point gone and I'm sad in a way to see it go, but I am hopeful that the benefit of a failure like this is that it will teach many more potential fanboys to be careful where they look for hope in a game, and let developers prove themselves before giving them anything.

     

    On a related note, Rift is doing this now, with public betas that are running reasonably well, and from what I hear the game isn't half bad either. Not my cup of tea, but interesting to note.

  • cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

    There's something even more amazing;

     

    They tested it on the LIVE server. 40 hours of downtime, and what is there to show for it? Before it was a mystical "corruption" of patches, lack of testing, etc. Yet somehow they spent 40 hours testing this, and SOMEONE decided to bring the server up. Either that someone is completely incompetent, or they spent 40 hours drinking, or they judged that they'd retain more customers by letting people lose invested time & money by getting killed with the 10+ game-breaking exploits that surfaced in this patch.

    Either way... Kudos to SV for managing to screw up in ways noone thought imaginable.

  • osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

    Originally posted by Rohn

     

    Well, there are a handful of other people who cherry pick only negative posts, and who have been cherry picking ONLY negative posts, or overexaggerating, or using extremist terminology (heap, full of fail) on this forum for years.  Him doing so would have simply been a duplication of their obsessive propaganda effort.

    They do need to continue to tune the prediction system, but overall it appears to be an improvement in how combat works from my experience in playing it yesterday.

     


    AMEN

    Originally posted by funkmastaD

    Funny thing is, the annoying 'fanbots' that you think you're in constant battle with, probably wouldn't be defending MO NEARLY as much if the people here just spoke honestly about the game, instead of trying as desperately as possible to make the game sound as terrible as possible.

     

     

    and AMEN

  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

    This game is why I'm not buying Earthrise at launch.

  • HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

    The Starvault CEO admits that this patch has made the game "basicly unplayable"

     

     


    Unread Today, 10:46

      #7 (permalink)


    Henrik Nystrom vbmenu_register("postmenu_1094807", true);


    Administrator


     

    Henrik Nystrom's Avatar


     



    Join Date: Apr 2008




     




    default






    Quote:


    Originally Posted by Aezreal View Post


    The combat itself is pretty much hard to test since everyone is warping/flying.



    So it's basicly unplayable.


    This, we are woking on tweaking movement in larger scale. Also relation to higher ms connections. As long as you analyze the comabt alone you will notice a good difference, but it makes it hard overall when counting in movement as well. This is our top prio to solve atm, and we are very interested in getting in contact with players ingame with these issues as it is not everyone that gets affected that much. We have a few guys on irc that you can talk to in helping us tweak the numbers.


    __________________

    CEO, Founder & Game designer


    Henrik Nystrom is offline Report Post

    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

     

    "and we are very interested in getting in contact with players ingame with these issues as it is not everyone that gets affected that much. We have a few guys on irc that you can talk to in helping us tweak the numbers."

     

    If its different from player to player, how is "tweaking" the numbers going to help?  Someones always going to be out of sync... 

    Looks like they will be going with plan B/C.    (further dumbing down combat/regional servers)   What goods a "hardcore" PvP game with broken PvP? image

     

     

  • NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

    It's just jargon. "Tweaking the numbers", claims of having located and fixed issues of "patch corruption" and other vague, mystery problems are just jargon designed to give the impression of progress and having a handle on things.

     

    The facts speak for themselves. 40-Odd hours of testing and still they miss glaring issues like flying players. They either lack the capability, resources or both to set up a proper testing process. I'm curious as to how they've been spending their funding, it sounds like they've not exactly been skint.

  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

    Whatever happens to this game, I hope they made at least a small profit... but one thing is for certain, I'll never buy another game from them.

     

    I think there are some hobby developers that could make a better game.

  • cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

    Originally posted by jusomdude

    Whatever happens to this game, I hope they made at least a small profit... but one thing is for certain, I'll never buy another game from them.

     

    I think there are some hobby developers that could make a better game.

     

    Taleworlds was a hobby-developer 2-man team. Mount & Blade turned out very entertaining, and adequately priced for what it offered.

Sign In or Register to comment.