Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

investors just don't think much of swtor

Comments

• ZERMINUSZERMINUS Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by jpnz

Originally posted by ZERMINUS

Originally posted by jpnz

Don't be too quick to dismiss that comment. Investors, especially investment fund managers, make vast financial decisions on precisely this kind of rumour and backstage gossip.

Personally, given EA's ruthless focus on the maximisation of revenes and the level of interest in this game, I'd put money (if I had any) into EA and ride the boost that is going to come with the box sales at launch. Then I'd sell 80% of my stake and let the rest ride for a while.

Any fund manager that wants to keep its job/work in the industry does not make large bets based on this type of 'report'.

They have people like Michael Pachter that specialize in very specific number of companies who'll advise them on what the companies they know about are up to.

It will be hilarious if any fund manager that has an interest in EA stock does not know about SWTOR or how much it costs or their payment model. This game was in dev for how long?

And what's this 'trend' of F2P? Last I checked, the P2P is vastly larger due to WoW; in the western MMO market anyway.

The eastern MMO market really doesn't count in this case cause we are talking in 'investments/financial' sense.

You could not be more wrong.

Haven't you heard of the Wall Street saying:

'Buy on the rumor. Sell on the news'? Google it.

News... how is this news?

News in the context you are saying are facts.

At least earning forecasts if not sales figures.

There are no 'rumor's here either.  SWTOR not going F2P is not exactly a rumor last I checked.

Unless I'm totally up the wazoo on my investments what one analyst says is not a rumor either.

The F2P comment is all the evidence you need as this article is a 'short this' play.

What? Barely any of the news you receive via the papers, the TV, the radio, the web or iphone is 'fact'. Almost all of it is opinion, editorial, comment or filler.

And the 'f2P' comment is precisely the reason I think that this article is quoting some investor and will be taken seriously by investors, Because 'f2p' is the kind of in-industry buzzword that some idiot fund manager will pick up, half-heard and half-understood, and try and sell in to his desk manager to back some mew buy/sell strategy he wants to pitch.

The fact that 'f2p' is so nonsensically wrong in the context of SWTOR is, ironically, a confirmation. It's also an encouragement, in my view, that now is a good time to buy shares in EA since it means that current market 'opinion', which is currently trending downwards, obviously doesn't have a clue what SWTOR is or how it's going to make its money. And when those box sales figures come in after launch, the share price is going to jump very nicely.

• ZermpenusZermpenus Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Loke666

Fact: TOR is the most expensive MMO so far.

Of course the investors don't like putting so much money on a single bet, and they do remembered the talk of WAR beating Wow in subscription numbers which didn't turn out so well.

I would worry about putting so much money in one game myself. But the same would be for the investors of any company putting that much money into a game.

You know I have to agree. It's a lot of money. I mean, I think the game will do well and will definitely buy it, but...

Now ask me if I'm prepared to drop a large sum on it as an investment?

Nope. MMO's seem like a very bad investment as far as making money.

Sovrath I'd have to agree. I'd rather invest in the middle east than an mmo, but I still think this game has the potential to be great if they get their act together between now and release.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

So some investors were surprised on the morning of Feb. 1 when the stock opened for trading. Shares of Google tumbled $19.75 to $481.75...

I was one, you want to know why? it's no secret now, it was to due with the CEO standing down, there was whispers of it and sure enough it has happened. This changes the whole stance of google in the long run.

As far as EA, all I can say is all industrial entertainment is a gamble, be it in movies, games and more. You bet on the current crop being released and hope for a payout, if you do be ready to loose or win big. That is the market people, no big secrets, the catch is to know the industry you are investing in. For instance I indeed have investments into EA and will hold them. As an investor I feel that this years coming crop looks very good. I have my doubts on two titles, but the rest look strong and in my eyes, seeing a very profitable year for EA and me.

You don't have to have a ton of money to invest, but you do need some extra income and know how if you want to succeed. While articles (if you can call it that, more like opinions) like this are looked at, the overall investigation into the company and or industry you invest is your true knowledge. The only negatives I see about this title and others are those wishing them to fail, I have yet to see one piece of evidence that shows me these coming titles will fail. I did see such in warhammer and others however.

Not only kids visit these sites, but more and more investors do as well. However I think many as myself can see past actual issues to those that would see something fail just for they are having a bad day or have a vendetta to settle. As far as SWTOR goes, I see a great future for it, the company is on schedule, the information is released on a timely manner , enough information to keep people interested. A constantly growing fan base on the main site. With the I.P and a proven development company lead by some heavy hitter leadership, I see a win win along with EA's portfolio for this coming year.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

Originally posted by chaintm

So some investors were surprised on the morning of Feb. 1 when the stock opened for trading. Shares of Google tumbled $19.75 to $481.75...

I was one, you want to know why? it's no secret now, it was to due with the CEO standing down, there was whispers of it and sure enough it has happened. This changes the whole stance of google in the long run.

As far as EA, all I can say is all industrial entertainment is a gamble, be it in movies, games and more. You bet on the current crop being released and hope for a payout, if you do be ready to loose or win big. That is the market people, no big secrets, the catch is to know the industry you are investing in. For instance I indeed have investments into EA and will hold them. As an investor I feel that this years coming crop looks very good. I have my doubts on two titles, but the rest look strong and in my eyes, seeing a very profitable year for EA and me.

You don't have to have a ton of money to invest, but you do need some extra income and know how if you want to succeed. While articles (if you can call it that, more like opinions) like this are looked at, the overall investigation into the company and or industry you invest is your true knowledge. The only negatives I see about this title and others are those wishing them to fail, I have yet to see one piece of evidence that shows me these coming titles will fail. I did see such in warhammer and others however.

Not only kids visit these sites, but more and more investors do as well. However I think many as myself can see past actual issues to those that would see something fail just for they are having a bad day or have a vendetta to settle. As far as SWTOR goes, I see a great future for it, the company is on schedule, the information is released on a timely manner , enough information to keep people interested. A constantly growing fan base on the main site. With the I.P and a proven development company lead by some heavy hitter leadership, I see a win win along with EA's portfolio for this coming year.

What price did you buy EA at? It's $15.23 today. It was $54 in 2008.

What price did you buy EA at?

Before it gets out of hand (which it will) I will divulge nothing on my personal dealings. Believe me or not, it is after all the Internet. Take it for what it is.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Why are there two threads with the exact same first post information?  Just combine them for extra whinage/trollage/fanboiage.

Before it gets out of hand (which it will) I will divulge nothing on my personal dealings. Believe me or not, it is after all the Internet. Take it for what it is.

I wasn't asking the quantities, just the price. That's in the common domain. No personal info required at all. You know, the result of a horse race - not if you had a bet on it.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by Swanea

Why are there two threads with the exact same first post information?  Just combine them for extra whinage/trollage/fanboiage.

Well, this thread was about investing and the other thread was about finally getting some hints about the release date. That thread somehow morphed into buying and selling by a certain someone and even I got caught up in it lol. I think I thought maybe I was in this thread hehe.

There Is Always Hope!

I wasn't asking the quantities, just the price. That's in the common domain. No personal info required at all. You know, the result of a horse race - not if you had a bet on it.

Yes, but does it really have any value in this conversation? currently I am still in the green, buying at 14.81 last years, not a great increase as it took a huge up and down last year, but this years outlook looks really good for the company. In my humble opinion at least. If the stock where to bottom below 10, i might get a bit worried, I just don't see it thou. If you where looking for actual advice in this, I wait a month then buy and hold. I am guessing it will hit 14 or below before all the releases then mid summer /fall rocket, this is of course just again my opinion.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by keithianw

Well, this thread was about investing and the other thread was about finally getting some hints about the release date. That thread somehow morphed into buying and selling by a certain someone and even I got caught up in it lol. I think I thought maybe I was in this thread hehe.

?? The other thread posted by a mod was this exact thing wasn't it? Even with a link to gamesutra?

Yes, but does it really have any value in this conversation? currently I am still in the green, buying at 14.81 last years, not a great increase as it took a huge up and down last year, but this years outlook looks really good for the company. In my humble opinion at least. If the stock where to bottom below 10, i might get a bit worried, I just don't see it thou. If you where looking for actual advice in this, I wait a month then buy and hold. I am guessing it will hit 14 or below before all the releases then mid summer /fall rocket, this is of course just again my opinion.

That's interesting. If - or in my opinion, when - the price rises at launch, do you think you will hold or sell? I really do see sub numbers falling off after launch (as they always do with all MMOs) before properly stabilizing.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by keithianw

?? The other thread posted by a mod was this exact thing wasn't it? Even with a link to gamesutra?

ahhhh. yes, I thought you were talking about Whilans thread that mprphed  into investing lol. I'm so confused. I'm going to sleep, but first I need to play some KOTOR so I can know what some of you are talking about with lore lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

I for one hope investors bite and loose as there's nothing more pleasing than to see elitists sitting at the top loose a small fortune as they're nothing but greedy gluttonous pigs going round sticking sticking their fat noses into troughs. They rip the life out of gave dev, hence why indie dev are only ones to release raw fun gaming in the last 4 years.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

I don't got high hopes for SWToR mainly because it sounds like your typical bioware single player rpg, just with chat added and a few community things added. That about sums up SWToR. There is also the fact the last few star wars games have.. well blown chunks least to me.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

Originally posted by IAmMMO

I for one hope investors bite and loose as there's nothing more pleasing than to see elitists sitting at the top loose a small fortune as they're nothing but greedy gluttonous pigs going round sticking sticking their fat noses into troughs. They rip the life out of gave dev, hence why indie dev are only ones to release raw fun gaming in the last 4 years.

Umm, you don't have to be Commodore Vanderbilt to punt a few hundred bucks in the market, Uncle Joe - and you're providing liquidity and capital to all game developers, large and small, since that;s where they get their investment.

That's interesting. If - or in my opinion, when - the price rises at launch, do you think you will hold or sell? I really do see sub numbers falling off after launch (as they always do with all MMOs) before properly stabilizing.

Again it's all gambling in the legal way of looking at it. In my eyes, it's worth that gamble. I don't see this game in my outlook for EA this year. I am looking at other titles they are releasing, among the biggest being Sims, dragon age , shift and later mass effect. As far as holding onto these holdings till the release of SWTOR is hard to say. I "plan" on doing so but again if it hits below 10 that means something major happened that would be catastrophic for the company's portfolio and would take to long to recover from. If it holds thou, I will hold on till the release and probably 4 months after , at that time I will watch the game closely thou. The income a large project like this can occur is huge. You have to take into account many things. Someone was right before in a comment, this can make or break EA.

Don't take that comment wrong thou, make or break doesn't mean the company would fold due to this titles failure, it would be a huge hit no doubt about it. However their portfolio alone in what IP's they own could cover cost etc for a recovery if it went that far. The stock would be useless for the company would have to go under a reconstruction effort. However, I don't see it. I have no doubt what so ever that box sales will cover over 3/4 of the initial cost. If speculations are right, this is around 150mil that would be deb-ted. I see that being recovered within the first month of subs, I also believe that after this the game will sell even better.

I take all of this to heart because I was lucky enough to have a hands on during a show. From what I seen, the game looks fantastic and each new release of information just makes me think the game will have even more growth prospects. I get excited thinking about it actually, because in the end, when I look at all of bioware titles released under the EA flag, all of them have done very well. The concept of hard story development along with good game play has really paid out well for all involved. The questions that come to my mind as an investor is not SWTOR to be honest, but other titles that I did not mention. Those are million investments on their own and can hurt the bottom line. Time will tell thou. In the end I bought at a good time, I think another good time to buy is coming , holding onto this, I beleive we will see high 25's in the stock during this period. Once I get that, I probably will release my holdings.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I don't think EA had dividends so you would probably want to sell a bit after launch.

The way I usually do it with stocks is buy when I hear about something. Then depending on whether it pays dividends or not I decide what to do next. If it doesn't have dividends I usually sell most of it. If it does have dividends I sell enough to get my intial investment back and hold the rest. That way I always get a little money trickling in. It's not much but it adds up and helps to build up the portforlio.

Originally posted by Atlan99

I don't think EA had dividends so you would probably want to sell a bit after launch.

The way I usually do it with stocks is buy when I hear about something. Then depending on whether it pays dividends or not I decide what to do next. If it doesn't have dividends I usually sell most of it. If it does have dividends I sell enough to get my intial investment back and hold the rest. That way I always get a little money trickling in. It's not much but it adds up and helps to build up the portforlio.

Correct, but the gamble here is not only do they have this release but others in the works, so will the stock grow once the annoucment of a successfull launch then growning sub-base happens? Again all speculation at this point, but looking at the over-all, EA has a good lineup in the works. For me at least, I think holding and waiting for the high 25's is a good idea. Eh call it a gut feeling but sense I started in ERTS , I just have a good feeling about the future here. Thing is, I am going to kick myself if it goes higher :)

• Tallic234Tallic234 Member UncommonPosts: 27

General Discussion  » investors just don't think much of swtor

Some of you make good points. I for one don't have much faith in the game for a few reasons.

1. I don't have a clue about the deal the Ea has the Lucus arts. Do any of you?

2. I believe that Starwars fans will not except a sub-standard game that goes against starwars lore.

3 How much control does Lucus arts havei with the story line, classes, and new content?

4. I believe that Lucus arts had a huge hand in the demise of Starwars Galaxies. I can't prove it but it is my gut feeling.

5 If this game is so expensive how much will Ea need to charge for subscriptions inorder to pay off Lucas arts, the investors and EA employees? With so many free to play games and all the new game that have hit the market in the last few years can this game survive if it is not as good or better than WOW? I hate to use the WoW killer comparison but I have a feeling the fixed cost of paying Lucas Arts their royalties and their meddeling in the game design will sink any chance investors have of recouping their investment or making a profit.

6 If I was a banker and Ea or Bioware and came to me to borrow money I would have to know all the deals and what strings all the parties have with bringing a game like this to market. Even then I would probally pass on a deal unless Ea has some serious collaterial because of the risky nature of this type of investment.

• KriosisKriosis Member Posts: 345

lol....Ok, nothing of importance here. Still looking forward to TOR, see you on release day.

Well, Bioware made a $1.04 billion loss last year - on revenues of $4.06 bil. That's why trhe 'f2p' report is so crassly wrong - because there is no way Ricitello is going to cut off a guaranteed stream of subscribers represented by p2p for the possible revenues of item shops.

You must bear in mind that many of the analysts in this industry - in fact any industry you care to name - are idiots compared to fans like us  who kno0w, between us, almost everything there is to know about the game without actually being inside the company.

Take for example this analyst who posted just an hour or so ago:

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2011/01/24/electronic-arts-how-does-the-stock-look/

He thinks Electronic Arts is not a 'buy' but that investors should indeed buy Activision Blizzard. Now, anyone who plays Warcraft will tell you that's a sucker's tip - Cataclysm has already been launched so the box boost is over and, while the initial launch was greeted with success, there's more and more feedback from casual players that the mid-level endgame, the heroic dungeons, are too hard for social/casual healers and tanks to play enjoyably. That means the whole  LFG system is getting slower and becoming more inefficient. Now we know that means - an inevitable drop in casual subscribers - but an analyst wouldn't have a clue what we're talking about.

Well, Bioware made a $1.04 billion loss last year - on revenues of $4.06 bil. That's why trhe 'f2p' report is so crassly wrong - because there is no way Ricitello is going to cut off a guaranteed stream of subscribers represented by p2p for the possible revenues of item shops.

You must bear in mind that many of the analysts in this industry - in fact any industry you care to name - are idiots compared to fans like us  who kno0w, between us, almost everything there is to know about the game without actually being inside the company.

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2011/01/24/electronic-arts-how-does-the-stock-look/

He thinks Electronic Arts is not a 'buy' but that investors should indeed buy Activision Blizzard. Now, anyone who plays Warcraft will tell you that's a sucker's tip - Cataclysm has already been launched so the box boost is over and, while the initial launch was greeted with success, there's more and more feedback from casual players that the mid-level endgame, the heroic dungeons, are too hard for social/casual healers and tanks to play enjoyably. That means the whole  LFG system is getting slower and becoming more inefficient. Now we know that means - an inevitable drop in casual subscribers - but an analyst wouldn't have a clue what we're talking about.

This is my last post for the night, but there you go , you hit the nail on the head as I was saying initially about what the OP posted. Most if not all "analyst" go by the numbers. Which is good , don't take me wrong, you need all sides to invest correctly. But if you really "know" the industry you invest in , you are the most sure investor there is. Evening knowing all of this, there is always a chance of failure, again it is the market and it is in the end a gamble. I believe I know this industry , I keep up on the latest and greatest from some major and minor hitters and most of my investments are here.

In real life I am a coder and that is where my investment funds come from. So for me, it makes perfect sense to be part of investing in the very nature of which I partake.  In the end , as you said just now, we know from just reading what the general consensus of Cataclysm and what even friends and family say how that stands atm.

However I think you are wrong to a point as well, The reason the analyst are saying buy is not because of this, but because Blizzard atm is lining up to release some very heavy hitting titles. From diablo 3 to others, they are set yet again to "bring in the money" so yes, investment at this moment would actually be a smart move. Not to buy EA is a shocker, but then again it plays into my favor atm so that works for me. I look forward to seeing what this year brings for sure.

Originally posted by Tallic234

Some of you make good points. I for one don't have much faith in the game for a few reasons.

2. I believe that Starwars fans will not except a sub-standard game that goes against starwars lore.

3 How much control does Lucus arts havei with the story line, classes, and new content?

4. I believe that Lucus arts had a huge hand in the demise of Starwars Galaxies. I can't prove it but it is my gut feeling.

5 If this game is so expensive how much will Ea need to charge for subscriptions inorder to pay off Lucas arts, the investors and EA employees? With so many free to play games and all the new game that have hit the market in the last few years can this game survive if it is not as good or better than WOW? I hate to use the WoW killer comparison but I have a feeling the fixed cost of paying Lucas Arts their royalties and their meddeling in the game design will sink any chance investors have of recouping their investment or making a profit.

6 If I was a banker and Ea or Bioware and came to me to borrow money I would have to know all the deals and what strings all the parties have with bringing a game like this to market. Even then I would probally pass on a deal unless Ea has some serious collaterial because of the risky nature of this type of investment.

1)EA/Bioware are paying royalties to LA for use of Star Wars License. How much is hard to say. Probably a flat fee and a small percentage of future profits.

2)Bioware made the lore for this era, so shouldn't be too many problems here.

3)LA doesn't have much control over the storyline, classes or content, as long as Bioware doesn't fly off the deep end.

4)Really hard to say unless you were on the inside.

5)Can't see EA charging anymore than the going mmo rates. Expect $10-$15 per month. I'm guessing closer to $15. If they could just hold 1 million subscribers for a year at $15 per month. That's $180 million dollars.  Thats how profitable a successful mmo can be.

6)Its EA. They have serious collateral.

That seems alot more like EA's profit/loss than Bioware's. I'm sure the Bioware division of EA is one of its most profitable.

Originally posted by Tallic234

1)EA/Bioware are paying royalties to LA for use of Star Wars License. How much is hard to say. Probably a flat fee and a small percentage of future profits.

Is that right? I heard it was a joint development based on a revenue split.

2)Bioware made the lore for this era, so shouldn't be too many problems here.

No, LA owns the lore and characters - they may have been developed by Bioware but only under licence by LA.

5)Can't see EA charging anymore than the going mmo rates. Expect $10-$15 per month. I'm guessing closer to $15. If they could just hold 1 million subscribers for a year at $15 per month. That's $180 million dollars.  Thats how profitable a successful mmo can be.

I thought the rule of thumb was - after launch, for ever five boxes sold, you lose four sunscribers. It's only after three months that subscriber numbers stabilize and, if successful, start to rise.

6)Its EA. They have serious collateral.

It's also losing a billion dollars a year and its share price has fallen from $60 to $15 in four years.