Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alter-Ego?

Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Hello, just curious if there is any kind of alter-ego aspect to the game or is it just costumed combat?

Thx!

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

DCUO is just costumed combat.

They had said that secret identities were a key pillar of the DC universe, and that a game wouldn't be a good representation of the DC universe without it.  You can see that in this video here (starting at 2:24):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1FyHh5X5o

As of this time, however, secret identities are not a part of the game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Originally posted by Rohn

They had said that secret identities were a key pillar of the DC universe, and that a game wouldn't be a good representation of the DC universe without it.  You can see that in this video here (starting at 2:24):

Thank you

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

But they also said its a possiblity. They never said YES or NO. But I imagine this is going to be an expansion / content addition at some point down the line from the sounds of it. Cause they did say they would talk more about down the road in months.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Thomas2006

But they also said its a possiblity. They never said YES or NO. But I imagine this is going to be an expansion / content addition at some point down the line from the sounds of it. Cause they did say they would talk more about down the road in months.

Given the way they were phrasing it, they seemed to be saying that it's more than a possibility - unless they are admitting that their game will forever be a poor representation of the DC universe.

Something like a meaningful, sophisticated secret identity system could provide some much needed depth to this game.

Many people have talked about the lack of crafting in this game.  While I don't think that every MMO must have crafting, I do think they all need fairly deep, diverse gameplay if they are going to keep long-term subscribers.  In other games, crafting helps to fill that role by providing a deeper set of gameplay options.  In lieu of a crafting system, a worthwhile secret identity system could add some of that type of depth.

Given the way they were cowed by their marketing department, I'm guessing that secret IDs will be a part of some future free or paid expansion.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,314

Ya, as much of a deal as they made about it, I assumed it would be a launch feature. I can only assume now that they held that feature to release it as part of the monthly content updates.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Interesting. The cockyness with which they said it like "duh, of course it'll be in game" baffles me. $50million and 5 years later and it's missing from launch...unreal.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Crafting is nonsense and pretty much a waste of time. Apparently a lot of gamers want that wasted time. I have never enjoyed leveling and using a profession. Its certainly had very few advantages but they are not even worth mentioning.

I hope dcuo never gets crafting.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by monstermmo

Crafting is nonsense and pretty much a waste of time. Apparently a lot of gamers want that wasted time. I have never enjoyed leveling and using a profession. Its certainly had very few advantages but they are not even worth mentioning.

I doubt we will see any major type of crafting. It really doesnt fit into a super hero game. You hardly ever see any super hero standing around a work station making sodas or things.

In the grand scheme of things crafting really does not add alot to a game. It's normally nothing more then an extra way for someone to make money in a game. And with DCUO your going to end up with alot of money most of the time unless you just go crazy buying soda's all the time.

I myself dont care much for crafting. It's never been my thing and has always seemed like more of a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. most games the things you craft are junk when compared to the items you get come endgame so it really makes crafting for the most part pointless.

As far as the Alter-Ego goes. I would rather them hold a feature back and make sure it works correctly then release something half there and buggy as all get out.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I doubt we will see any major type of crafting. It really doesnt fit into a super hero game. You hardly ever see any super hero standing around a work station making sodas or things.

In the grand scheme of things crafting really does not add alot to a game. It's normally nothing more then an extra way for someone to make money in a game. And with DCUO your going to end up with alot of money most of the time unless you just go crazy buying soda's all the time.

I myself dont care much for crafting. It's never been my thing and has always seemed like more of a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. most games the things you craft are junk when compared to the items you get come endgame so it really makes crafting for the most part pointless.

As far as the Alter-Ego goes. I would rather them hold a feature back and make sure it works correctly then release something half there and buggy as all get out.

Actually most hero comics, certainly the best ones, do cover the hero's alter-ego and what they do as a profession as that alter-ego.

Crafting may not add a lot to the game for you, but having the kinds of players who like crafting in the game can make for a deeper richer game experience for all those involved. Personally I don't like crafting either but imo games with strong crafting/economy elements are much more fun for me.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

You hardly ever see supers heroes sitting around making sodas, because the concept of drinking a health potion is completely alien to the super hero genre.  Even as a game mechanic it is far more out of place than a crafting/research system would be for a super hero game.  I'm surprised you could even pair those two concepts together in a comparison. 

Some people don't like crafting and that is fine.   Some people don't like grouping, but that doesn't mean it should be removed from the game.  I'm not saying crafting is a must, but it is another layer of depth in gameplay for those that enjoy things other than combat. 

I think the big picture is getting lost, because people seem to gravitate and focus on crafting.  DCU doesn't need specifically crafting or any single feature from another mmo.  It just needs something other than costumed combat.   That is really all that DCU offers and is really the only part of the game that the developers have focused on.  Almost everything else is half assed, incomplete or just flat out missing.  Chat, banking, economy, guild tools, social tools, roleplay tools, UI, etc.  Even the combat needs a lot of work.