Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of coming back to paid eq2

brentappsbrentapps Member Posts: 12

Alright well to start with I bought the game at some point in time but unsubbed because I found some things annoying and liked other games better.  However, wow no longer satisfies me so I'm looking for something fun to do.  When I quit I was a total noob, and I mainly disliked how it didn't feel like everquest 1, so you can assume I know nothing and it will be a relatively new experience for me.  Also, I'm likely looking for something to do until rift, but I'm a relatively hardcore player so within a month I could still do a lot. 

Basically, I'm afraid that since the game now has a f2p section that it's just not worth it.  Should I be playing on the f2p servers, the paid servers, or just not at all?   Is it too late for a noob to come to this game and still have fun?  Like I said, I'm a relatively good player in wow and I have the hours to put in if it's worth it but if it's going to be impossible to enjoy as a noob I'm not so sure I want to try.  Is the game dying?  Will I have other people to play with?  Is the game experience watered down a ton?  These are the things I'm concerned about, hopefully someone can give me some advice on how to best approach this.  If someone has played lotro, a relative comparison between the two would help me a ton as well since that's mainly what I'm deciding between.

Comments

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

The game is friendly to new players without a doubt.  You should go with live server though, (Antonia Bayle for PVE) and stay away from extended version unless you think you may not play a lot.  It's a good way to try game, but the free extended version is kind of a ripoff in price compared to what you get for subscription . . .

I've played LOTRO, and currently playing Everquest II while looking to begin sandbox type game.  (Still debating entering Darkfall)  Some basic comparisons are the PVE, solo ability, relative ease of finding groups. (Lotro might have a slightly better score on this)  LOTRO has excellent graphics, fluid gameplay, decent economy/auction house, and solid appearance options for dyes and the like in clothing. Everquest II is a little less fluid, pretty nice graphics, not nearly as good for appearance armor, uses a broker system, which means items can be listed for quite a while as opposed to running out the clock.

Everquest 2 has excellent crafting in my opinion.  It's like a mini game and requires a bit of focus on your part.  There are tons more crafting options compared to LOTRO and WOW.  You also specialize more in depth with a particular field past a certain level.  The housing in Everquest 2 is really fun, with literally thousands of items you can build, customize, or creatively invent yourself.  You can put these items anywhere, and truly customize your house.  LOTRO housing is simply a free teleport.  You can only put items in specific spots and can't customize them; nor can you invent your own item.  

Both have pretty good lore, but LOTRO seems particularly well suited to get you into a real storyline.   All of these games you mentioned are healthy population wise.  You may want to consider live server for everquest2 since the free extended version is more expensive for less options.  LOTRO has a pretty good f2p/sub system going.  

If you like deeper character strategy for builds (none of these games are that deep in my opinion though)  your best option would be Everquest 2.  Its has a better, more strategic system compared to LOTRO.  Hope this helps.  I might still be playing LOTRO because it had superior quests, and the game world was nice.  Unfortunately, it had less involved crafting, and i found the player housing to be insulting and meaningless.  Hope this helps, and only my limited opinion.  Good luck.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

I just recently bought and starting sub for EQ2. I'm having fun, and have found a friendly helpfull guild. I tried EQ2X and found it quiet due to channel restrictions. It also works out more expensive in the FTP.

Ye anyways, having a good time, nice quests, nice people, good times :) come on in.