Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVE and Crafting

Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

A simple question. I would like to know what kind of challenge PVE is in Rift. If EQ was a 10 and Wow was a 1 where would you put Rift? I'm talking about outdoor leveling here.

Another question is crafting. Could anyone post their thoughts on what crafting is all about please? Did you find it fun? Interesting? Different? 

Comments

• SignRiftSignRift Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

A simple question. I would like to know what kind of challenge PVE is in Rift. If EQ was a 10 and Wow was a 1 where would you put Rift? I'm talking about outdoor leveling here.

Another question is crafting. Could anyone post their thoughts on what crafting is all about please? Did you find it fun? Interesting? Different? 

Rift PvE is about a 5 on the scale.

The actual rift elites that spawn are challenging and they run in packs and can be many varied levels...this I rate a 7

The dungeons players have had access to so far have been lower level but for thier level they are an 8

The mobs for questing I would rate a 3 to 4.

You balance all this and get a 5.

Crafting is interesting but not mind blowing. Very similar to crafting in WoW. You can choose three types of crafting and start making stuff. There are gathering skills and crafting skills. As your crafting abilities and faction and stuff go up you can gain access to more rare crafting recipes within a type of crafting.

• TyroTyro Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by SignRift

(...) You can choose three types of crafting and start making stuff. There are gathering skills and crafting skills. (...)

What you mean is that there's several types of crafting including Apothecary, Armorsmithing, Artificing, Outfitting, Runecrafting and Weaponsmithing, then there's the gathering skills Mining, Foraging and Butchering, and from these 9 you can choose three to use for your character.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

I would put rift at 3. 

same old wow style, nothing new here T_T

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Thanks for the replies. I have to say that is a bit disappointing for I was looking for a pve game that had a nice challenge to the outdoor pve content. When there is no challenge then it just feels like a mindless level grind to get to the end game. The ride is more important to me and from what it seems based on the replies this game is not for me. :(

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

You can always make the PvE more difficult by using support souls as your main soul =)

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Thanks for the replies. I have to say that is a bit disappointing for I was looking for a pve game that had a nice challenge to the outdoor pve content. When there is no challenge then it just feels like a mindless level grind to get to the end game. The ride is more important to me and from what it seems based on the replies this game is not for me. :(

The leveling is kind of like a long training mission (my guess) and the end game has all the challenging content. Either that or the content gets more challenging the higher your level.

I would have to go by beta leveling (which may not be leveling in release) but a week or two to max level seems to be the case. This could be part of the plan though...we'll have to see how the whole game turns out. So far we haven't seen past level 30.

Crafting is deeper than WoW, but it's not going to be deep like Vanguard or Fallen Earth. It's the basic WoW setup with some added features. The crafted items are actually useful though. You would actually equip them to replace your quest gear and in the case of an Artificer, you would be filling slots that you do not get through quests.

None of the leveling or crafting is meant to be a terrible drain on your resources though. You build up your character, experiment with the soul system, get a bunch of rift gear and then start the end game stuff. That's my take on it anyway.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

I would do a little more research if I were you.  Most that comment about the game have not played or gotten past level 10 because they hate the EQ like interface so much.  Notice, I said it was like EQ not WoW.  Since you know, EQ came first.  Regardless, the game is a polished, traditional MMO.  It takes a lot from other games, including EQ.  Scott Hartsman is leading the charge on this game and I'm guessing that name might mean something to you.  Check out the podcasts and such.  The game has tons of rare spawns with variable difficulty.  Add on top of that the rift/invasion/foothold and there's a lot of interesting stuff in the world.  Oh and there's collections in this game like EQ. 

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Somewhere in the middle. If you run head long into a rift of a higher level than you.... you will die.

Crafting is standard mmo fare.

• BeethovianaBeethoviana Member Posts: 27

Try to solo Rifts but that won't last long, expect to die many many times in your lvling experience. PvE in Rift is a challenge and requires being grouped up for most of it. Unlike 90% MMORPG's out now in Rift you actually have to pay attention or you die...

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Wow! Thanks for the positive replies you give me hope. I did sign up on Rift's website and hope to get a beta invite. :)

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Wow! Thanks for the positive replies you give me hope. I did sign up on Rift's website and hope to get a beta invite. :)

check out the riftpodcast.com <---- good info from about late november- starting with Hal I think and on. 

That will give you more information about their headspace and what plans they have.  Also, they talk about in a couple of podcasts about what's in Beta and how they go about implementing things, what's going to be in launch and promising a complete game.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

To throw in my 2 cents, I would say it depends on your spec set-up. Some set-ups can make PVE more challenge, but you may like your spec set-up (if your spec is fun for you for PVE, then its not a bad set-up). So I would say between 5-7.