Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The End

ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220

Looks like this is it.

Comments

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

I wasn't even interested in this game, but still feels a little sad :(

• Stealthman06Stealthman06 Member UncommonPosts: 35

About time ! Now could someone else please make a good MMO in the Stargate universe, thank you.

MMORPG Forums: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• supremeaaronsupremeaaron Member UncommonPosts: 189

Originally posted by Stealthman06

About time ! Now could someone else please make a good MMO in the Stargate universe, thank you.

What constitutes good in your eyes? Remember SGW was no where near release so for all we know it could have being good. But at this rate we will never know. I'm just waiting to read the announcement (likely a confirmation that the games are dead).

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Name 1 succesful MMO based on a TV serie or Film ?  Yeah they are none.  Even single player game based on movies pretty much all suck.   Leave that IP alone now.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Originally posted by supremeaaron

Originally posted by Stealthman06

What constitutes good in your eyes? Remember SGW was no where near release so for all we know it could have being good. But at this rate we will never know. I'm just waiting to read the announcement (likely a confirmation that the games are dead).

You make a good point.  However, the company has had a reputation for being.. questionable.  Feel free to look into the mess around the company.  It's doubtful that their product was any good or was going to be any good.

Anyway, I don't know if we need a Stargate MMO.  I watched the show for 8 to 10 years, then Atlantis, and some SG:U.  Even I wouldn't be quick to jump on a Stargate MMO.

• SolarstrikerSolarstriker Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by Aguitha

Name 1 succesful MMO based on a TV serie or Film ?  Yeah they are none.  Even single player game based on movies pretty much all suck.   Leave that IP alone now.

SWG before NGE :D

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

its a shame as it is a great ip and worth a decent mmo, but if you look into the history of all the saga at cheyenne then you just know it was a balls up from the start, and if you posted any worries on the the stargate worlds forums you soon got abused and shot down by all the fanboi's who could not see past there own noses, just for them this makes me happy.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

Originally posted by Solarstriker

SWG before NGE :D

You beat me to it lol..

• Stealthman06Stealthman06 Member UncommonPosts: 35

I did follow the development of Stargate Worlds, and everything I have seen was nothing I would ever play or pay for.

It is a shame that such great series like Stargate and Star Trek and whatever you can think of, end up with a unknown company that has never made a game like that before. 

It is just that no matter how much time you have or how much money you can get, there are just companies who don't know what they are doing, and produce shallow games that nobody wants to play really.

MMORPG Forums: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Unless the IP is timeless, you'd have to time the creation and release to be pretty close together. It's like having an awesome television show with six episodes, then making your audience wait a year until the next season (ahem, Walking Dead). If there's too much lag from the time you want to play in that world to the time you can play in that world, you don't want to play there any longer.

There are lots of mmorpg viable IPs out there from television, but it's all about timing. The Highlander, Babylon 5, Xena (or just ancient Greece), or Firefly* could make a decent MMO setting, but it's been too long since those shows were relevant.

* I think Firefly could still make a go of it with the future setting of Post Civil War Wild West, but that's because it's fairly timeless to an American audience.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220

Most movie/TV IP is really more suited to a single-player RPG. In particular, I aways questioned SG becoming an MMO because the core of the premise was that you had a number of small "commando" teams going out and doing things. SG, while in the end it had its huge battles, really was not about large-scale combat.

Star Wars on the other hand, is a good candidate as playing in the "larger galaxy" does not feel so constrained.

Star Trek, I think, is more on the single-player side, even though it has the large setting. The problem there is that an individual isn't as free to roam the galaxy as the SW setting seems to imply. The focus on capital ships seems too restrictive for an MMO. What Cryptic tried to do is somewhat interesting, but I'm not sure it's working.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by lizardbones

There are lots of mmorpg viable IPs out there from television, but it's all about timing. The Highlander, Babylon 5, Xena (or just ancient Greece), or Firefly* could make a decent MMO setting, but it's been too long since those shows were relevant.

* I think Firefly could still make a go of it with the future setting of Post Civil War Wild West, but that's because it's fairly timeless to an American audience.

I would disagree completely on your choices.   Maybe a few parts of those IPs would be lend themselves to building an MMO, but SG would be incredibly easier to design, since it screams MMO. 

++++++++++

TBH, taking any IP and translating it into a game is incredibly difficult, since players will want exactly what they got when watching the show.    

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

It would have failed anyway with its dev history.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

Why are people talking about how the storyline is hard to transfer to a game. I recommend people go and do a bit of research as to the REAL reason the game collapsed... it has nothing to do with the IP, it has everything to do with greed and bad management.

The forums on MMORPG.com are full of info on the collapse of Stargate, go read them.

• ZoeFkenZoeFken Member UncommonPosts: 33

I was one of the beta testers of SGW and to be frank from all the games i beta tested in my days i must say this was one of them that lookd like it could be great. Ofcourse i can not judge what wasn't made or what wasn't available yet, but stil this one lookd promosing. I even dare to say that alot of games that came out recently and get good critics ( RIFT ) don't even come close to what i have seen in SGW. I realy hope someone buys it and continues to develop it.

But i strongly doubt it :D

• xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298

So with the company shutting down and loosing the license of SG - who owns the license? Is the license now just floating around just waiting for another dev to pick it up?

Sorry i havn't read much, if any info about SGW - the devs and so forth and just wanted to know what happens with the license now.

• ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220

I very much doubt that a license is a real asset that is "owned". A license was granted by MGM to CME, and now it has been revoked so it is no more.

I would wager that this is why struggling or bankrupt game companies don't get much interest from "white knights". If a license was an asset, it would make these companies be actually worth something. But if I were MGM or any other owner of IP, I would make it such that these companies don't get to claim it as an asset, and make it such that it can be revoked due to circumstances such as a bankruptcy.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

SGW has been dead for the past 2 years or more, it probably took them 6 months and all the remaining funds with Khestral working for nothing as usual just to get that "Shutting down" messages put on their site. Those jokers put together an MMORPG? I guess if you put 1000 monkeys infront of 1000 PCs you'll eventually get a good MMORPG, however CME/CMG/Firesky/Random shell company owned by Gary Whiting couldn't even manage to keep them fed long enough to get a single line of HTML code!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis