Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Open Beta = No Stress Test?

nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122

Well...we're in our first weekend of DC Universe and, while its a pretty good game so far, everything (the game and the forums) is down for the count for at least the 4th or 5th time today.  We've also seen some big battles do the same on Friday.

So comes my question:  Can developers prevent server load issues with a simple, and quick, open beta test?  It seems better to forecast server load than to get caught with your pants down.

Comments

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

they had a beta test.. and it was pretty open cause you could just go to a site and many of them and grab a key...

not sure what you're saying here. Did you just miss it all ?

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

hehe,  yep  definately a major issue  today,  ever since this morning server side DT  for performance issues  lol

ahh the  joy of the first week,  i love this time in an mmo,  reading the forums  is popcorn fun :)

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• GjonGjon Member UncommonPosts: 18

I think the success of the game is playing a pretty large role here. They've been reluctant to open new servers, which is a good thing if you remember how watered-down the warhammer servers were, but it can be frustrating for people at the same time.

That being said, the lack of communication on SOE's part is very frustrating. People are a lot more accepting of these kinds of issues if we know what's going on.

true that,  they really   need to work on their  communication,  of course,  the forums  are so overwhelmed right now they are crashing to :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Theres posts on the official forums saying some players are waiting an hour or longer in 500 person queues image

I've been lucky with only 5 - 10 minute queues with anywhere from 30 - 100 person queues.  

I think SOE has had a pretty good launch,  for the most part the servers are being taken down with devs putting out broadcasts beforehand,  they aren't crashing, which is a good sign.

Still frustrating that I have to wait for them to come back up,  or when it goes down with less than 10 points left in my legends match and we're about to win it. image

lol,  i took a break  to eat came back  and all this was happening, 

The worst queue  i have had to endure was about 230,  was about  a 15 minute wait

I think it speaks volumes about the initial success,  alot of people are playing  at all times  of the day

tons of fun,  lots of pvp  and  for the most part  pretty civil exchanges in versus

edited cause I spell like a 2nd grader

• GjonGjon Member UncommonPosts: 18

Yeah, I've been very suprised at how fast the game is catching on, at first there were 4 of us in my guild giving it a shot, now we have 25 people without doing any outside recruiting. People from Aion and Lotro are coming over daily.

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

Well reguardless on how the servers run, from all other MMOs we all know how bad servers are in the first week. Hell even more so in the future months.

I would rather them work on the problems then have someone tell us what is going on all the time.

and its the weekend they are probably on  a graveyard shift.

S**t happens and we know with a new MMO it will happen alot.

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

well they gave an update  lol

Attention Heroes and Villains!

We apologize for the unexpected server downtimes today. We're working on expanding the capacity right away and there may be brief interruptions because of these efforts.

Brasse

posted  on the official forums

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Yeah somewhat irritating. The 30 minutes I got to play the game was very fun. Then I closed it to try to get my ps3 controller to work with it, and I try to get back in and the launcher is having issues. Then finally 25 minutes later the launcher starts working again, I get in and the servers are all down for maitanence or at least thats what it says.

• DevilHawkDevilHawk Member Posts: 179

Originally posted by kirak2009

hehe,  yep  definately a major issue  today,  ever since this morning server side DT  for performance issues  lol

ahh the  joy of the first week,  i love this time in an mmo,  reading the forums  is popcorn fun :)

/quote ftw

• nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122

well they gave an update  lol

Attention Heroes and Villains!

We apologize for the unexpected server downtimes today. We're working on expanding the capacity right away and there may be brief interruptions because of these efforts.

Brasse

posted  on the official forums

That's my point.  Had SOE implemented open beta stress testing, they could forecast capacity better.

Lets face it...not everyone could get into beta.  There still was a lack of keys especially near the end of beta.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

lol sometimes even for mmorpg/'s i do not plan to purchaise I go and check out the offical forums to hear about all the whining, QQing etc, usually get some popcorn or chips and use it as entertainment.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

It's a rare MMO that doesn't have birthing issues.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.