Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RoM Hacker Holds Login Data Hostage

preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Now thats something, a guy stole Runes of Magic database and demands RoM to improve their customer service or else he will publish all the database with user login information.

Heck, he's like modern Robin Hood. I fully support this guy and hope that would happen to games like Warhammer, AoC even WoW.

Source:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/58663/Runes-of-Magic-Hacker-Holds-Login-Data-Hostage

Comments

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Resorting to criminal activity, that most likely would result in lawsuits and possible jail time. When all you had to do was to

/cancel

We have a genius on our hands there.

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

And my axe! +1

Originally posted by Fibsdk

Resorting to criminal activity, that most likely would result in lawsuits and possible jail time. When all you had to do was to

/cancel

Oh noes the cyberpolice?:)

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

..and my VUVUSELA!!! bzbzbzbzbzbzbzb...

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

don't need to restore my stolen account, but if he's good person he can send me back my diamond money =DDD

beside well done for this weird game with dictatorship rules for forum, hidden truth and diamonds price, overpriced item shop, careless support. sadly not that bad game run by unfair people...

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Originally posted by Raizeen

/cancel

10 years in the slammer doesn't sound that appealing. To each their own.

What's cyberpolice? never heard of it

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Sometimes doing the wrong thing is right.

This is not one of those times.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I'm all for holding companies accountable and expecting services to be rendered, but this hacker is an absolute jackass.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

/cancel

Since good hackers login with there home ip right?

/cancel

I wouldn't know, i'm not a hacker

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Yes, please publish all my login information to make the game more appealing to you. 

Hacker=donkey.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

/cancel

I could tell.

/cancel

I could tell.

What gave it away?

/cancel

I could tell.

What gave it away?

Just a gut feeling i guess.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Wow, how did he do it (plans on stealing the WoW-database while posing as RobertDinh)?

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

wow.  If he's arrested, I hope you update this thread. . .i really want to see how this story pans-out.

Originally posted by Silverbarr

The stupid one line sentences, and misplaced common sense imo.

M

So pointing out the guy could /quit instead of hacking is lack of common sense?. I would hate to see you use yours

Some companies deserve to get hacked like this. Some gaming companies go as far to say they dont even care about testing a game or if its bugged to hell when released since they wont make any real money anyways.

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

wow.  If he's arrested, I hope you update this thread. . .i really want to see how this story pans-out.

As others have pointed out. He is a super elite hacker so they will never catch him. It's a fact

• preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by Silverbarr

The stupid one line sentences, and misplaced common sense imo.

M

So pointing out the guy could /quit instead of hacking is lack of common sense?. I would hate to see you use yours

Some companies deserve to get hacked like this. Some gaming companies go as far to say they dont even care about testing a game or if its bugged to hell when released since they wont make any real money anyways.

I do agree, its not a secret that RoM is money grabbing game and they well deserved it. 

I mean people on forums have been ignored for far too long and one guy took actions. Its good to see that some guys have the guts to do something like this.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Yeah, I completely agree!

If only more people would hack into databases and release or threaten to release people's private information to the public to show these companies they mean business! I mean even if they did have nothing to do with the hacker's issue and making this information public might have unintended consequences it's all in the name of the better good if he can get that pink unicorn mount he's been begging for!

>_>

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Last time I checked, Robin Hood wasn't a kid with a Justin Beiber haircut that had entitlement issues.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by GTwander

Last time I checked, Robin Hood wasn't a kid with a Justin Beiber haircut that had entitlement issues.

All everyone know is what he did and what his demands are, yet as usual, people on mmorpg.com already know not only his ID but even how does he look like and some other personal details. You guys should do some CSI:mmorpg.com cuz u so cool

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

and then he goes to steal all the credit card info, your personal info, and other such niceties.

yeah this guy is a douchebag, nothing more.

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

/cancel

The King doth declare...

http://memegenerator.net/Jessi-Slaughter/ImageMacro/1727892/Jessi-Slaughter-you-dun-goofed.jpg

Now the internet police will arrest this modern day Robin Hood, and the King shall decide his fate.

I would probably ask him to pick on a real MMORPG.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by miagisan

and then he goes to steal all the credit card info, your personal info, and other such niceties.

yeah this guy is a douchebag, nothing more.

I doubt he's a total douche.. If he did this now, he could have done it earlier. He didn't ask for gear, or money, or anything like that. Just for better service. All he posted for proof was the account info of 2,100 people from back in 2007 before they iniated password changes or w.e. it was. So I doubt he's going to post anything up to date. It seems more of an attempt to scare and manhandle them into giving better service.

I'm not saying it was the right thing to do by any means, but it could have been much worse.

EDIT: And according to the forums, US accounts are safe.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3