Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first impression playing TERA Open Beta

Comments

• charoscharos Member Posts: 25

Again, IMHO I just don't see anyone playing a game like Rift over this.  I am not hating on Rift, lets get that clear.  I played the Rift beta and while the game is solid and has some quirks, it simply cannot compete.  Show me a person that has played this beta, and said outright that they would rather play a different MMO. ANY MMO.  If you can show me that man, consider me proven wrong.

Must agre with you on this one well almost just cant get the UO adiction out of my system im wath doctors call a hard case ^_^

• Originally posted by charos
    Again, IMHO I just don't see anyone playing a game like Rift over this.  I am not hating on Rift, lets get that clear.  I played the Rift beta and while the game is solid and has some quirks, it simply cannot compete.  Show me a person that has played this beta, and said outright that they would rather play a different MMO. ANY MMO.  If you can show me that man, consider me proven wrong.

Must agre with you on this one well almost just cant get the UO adiction out of my system im wath doctors call a hard case ^_^

Agree, played FGT and i assure you that i will never back to these point & click skillfest based games. Tab targeting is an old era, full action games free from lock-on are the true next-gen. My personal feel.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by kdchan

Originally posted by charos

Agree, played FGT and i assure you that i will never back to these point & click skillfest based games. Tab targeting is an old era, full action games free from lock-on are the true next-gen. My personal feel.

I thought Tera uses a Lock Target mechanic am i wrong?

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

It a free aim bro, some skills you can paint multi-targets.

That painting of targets is what people are refering to as lock targets.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Yes you are.

What there is is a "tag" mechanic for some range & healing skills. I could be wrong too though. XD

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Yes, you are..now it's about time you stop talking about the combat all over 10 pages don't you think?

• SoftMickSoftMick Member Posts: 4

I started playing the Korean Open Beta yesterday as well, and like the OP I have to say that I am massively impressed with what I've seen and experienced so far. 

First of all a special mention simply has to go to the graphics and animation on show...quite simply they are the best in their field, and by quite a margin. Not only are the graphics stunning from a design point of view, but the world is truly huge and the game runs like an absolute dream. As far as I can make out I had it on the best settings, but thats purely guesswork as I can't make much out from the Korean menu's, but yeah the game is a real beauty in motion. This is truly the benefit of using such a versatile and established engine in Unreal 3...in comparsion to what I've witnessed with the Gamebryo engine with Rift's recent betas...well there is no comparison. Tera comes out head and shoulders above that competition. Also I have to say that even with the servers based in Korea, there was very little lag to be felt and combat and actions always felt smooth and immediate.

The combat system is different, its fresh and it works really really well. Its kind of like a real time version of Aions combat system in the way that certain combos pop up after you execute moves...for example I had some attack (couldn't read what it was) bound to my right mouse button, and upon executing it it prompts me to hit space to perform a roll and then hit space right after to do like an AoE sword swirl. It looks great, its intuitive, and most importantly its a lot of fun. Whether its taking on groups of smaller mobs, or some of the larger offerings it so far has kept itself fresh and entertaining.

The game has loads of polish from what I can see so far...its tough to comment on the questing system as I am guessing half of them...there's a fair amount of kill 5 of these and 8 of that on top of others that had me throwing bombs at these training dummies and climbing some vines up a cliffside to find some plant. So far it seems very standard fare, but without the ability to read or hear whats going on it falls to the great combat system to save the day.

Some things that I did notice was that the chat was being absolutely hammered with people speaking all the time...not sure if its a global chat system they use, or if there really were that many people going on in the starter area...again impossible to tell. There are some invisible walls to prevent you jumping over the cliff into the sea, but I'm not sure if thats a limitation of the starter island or not...I havent has time to play it today and still haven't got off it yet. Also one bug bear is that when you fall from hight, the animation stops you dead on the spot for a second or 2 before continuing...I personally found it a little jarring, maybe to others it wouldn't be an issue at all. The music seemed nice enough, though thinking of it now rather forgettable and all the NPC's had greet/goodbye sound overs which is something I like. I haven't tried crafting yet, though I did a bit of gathering and that seems to work very much like it did in Aion where you will click a plant to extract its essence or a mining node to pick away at it. No gathering proffs needed to be learned and no tools needed to be bought, you seem to be able to gather what you like right off the bat.

Overall like the OP I am very impressed with Tera so far...especially as it was so far down my personal pecking order when it came to the MMO's being released this year. It has certainly climbed right up that list, and I can't wait to play a localised version to see what exactly's going on. 

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Originally posted by Nekrataal

Yes you are.

What there is is a "tag" mechanic for some range & healing skills. I could be wrong too though. XD

That is correct - only certain skills use the lock mechanic for range and heals. Most of it is free aim.. at least from what I saw yesterday watching a stream. Thanks to the poster of those streams, it was really awesome to see the game in action, ask questions to the people streaming and actually get responses. I felt uber nerdy, but I am cool with that.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Thanks for the write-up Ragefathaa :)

I am really curious about your ongoing experiences. Please keep informing us :).

Originally posted by Sfaliara

Yes, you are..now it's about time you stop talking about the combat all over 10 pages don't you think?

Game looks great and i'm interested in it, sorry if i come off a little rough around the edges just trying to get some answers to question i feel are importent for me.. I debat games on gameing forums and make my conclusions of the game when i play it.. The reason why i talk about the combat in Tera is that for me it's the only selling point to the game, if the combat is really only a gimmick at the end of the day then i can just stop being interested in the game altogether.

Anyone got links to the live streams?

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

Originally posted by Nekrataal

Here's one:

http://www.justin.tv/search?q=tera&commit=Search

Cheers mate!!!

• GoggyGoggy Member Posts: 84

Its now time for a more negative review, sorry guys.

Lets start with a positive. No question about it, the graphics really are top notch, and it all runs very smoothly. The mobs have a distinctive asian style to them and they are really well designed. would definately like to see more MMO's using the Unreal engine.

The environments are really nice looking, but thats about it. Theres not much to do other than quests, haven't really found a need to explore, probably because you can't, seems pretty much on rails tbh.

Character creation is also something of worthy note. The characters look incredible and there seems to be quite a lot of customisation. There are some very nice hairdos available aswell.

Audio seems pretty much of the standard fantasy affair. Some nice music and some meaty sound effects to go with combat, nothing special though.

Questing. Now, here is my first negative, and it's a biggy!  

There are a lot of other reviews here with people talking about questing being of the standard affair. Why can't people just be honest about it.

It's actually quite boring.

Seriously, i don't care what anyone says.  Kill 8 of this, kill 10 of that........kill another 10 of these. You know what i mean. I was actually pretty much bored with quests within the  first couple of hours, its that bad!

Ok, so they tried to break it up a little with a climbing quest, woohoo! that took all of 2 minutes, now go kill more of those little cute piggy things.

Even RIFT played better than TERA in that department

My second negative.....Combat! (and this is just my opinion, so calm down fanboys)

Ok, we all know it's the future of MMO's....is it really?! is it f**k!

I'll just describe to you a little fight i had, i think it was a named mob, a tree or something like that.

So, i run upto him, left click, left click, F1(special swirly attack of some sort), then he decides to do his 'i can't be arsed, so i'll just fall on you attack', luckily for me he is that slow, that i have enough time to go downstairs make myself a sandwich, drink a nice cup of tea, check my lottery ticket, come back move one step to the left and dodge it.

And thats basically every fight, most mobs have some kind of special attack where you just move one step to the side and they miss. Actually its quite funny to see one of those blobby things prep up for his roly poly attack, and just see him roll right past you down the hill, hehe.

I just don't find it as engaging as your run of the mill WoW / EQ / LOTR clone. It sounds weird i know. But thats how it is.

It's fine if you wanna flame me, i probably won't reply anyway. I'm just giving you my opinion on the game.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Thanks Goggy. Pov's from both sides of the spectrum are welcome. Hearing the world-questing-progression is on rails is kind of a bummer for me. Could the gripes you have with the world and combat / easy mobs have to do with being in a starter area / low level area? Or do you think this is prevalent throughout the game?

I did see quite some vids with more exciting encounters.

Guy solo'ing a boss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVsFxbWgISw&feature=related

Pretty intense defend objective (group?) quest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qr1KFVx2NQ

• AzzthurasAzzthuras Member Posts: 122

I guess not many read about tera because the Korean client is far different from the American one. There is less grind in the American one and more quests as well. The Korean version will have more grind for a reason... thats what they like over there.

• SoftMickSoftMick Member Posts: 4

Well I kind of agree with you with the questing...as I said in my post, its standard fare from what I've seen so far but without the ability to understand what the quest is saying I guess it loses something. Then again maybe it doesn't...for the last few years on WoW and for the entirety of the Rift betas I don't think I've read a single quest given to me...I automatically home in on the number 0/12 or 0/8 and go from there...I know its either kill or collect whatever and my map will show me exactly where. In that respect I guess it makes no difference that its written in Korean or in English as I am getting pretty much the same experience I'd have anyway :)

As for the combat...well like you say its your opinion, and opinions can never be wrong I guess :) Though you may have exaggerated just a teeny bit about the combat, it was funny and I know where you are coming from when you say that :) 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Googy I would like to hear how the mobs AI is as you level higher. From the videos I saw it did look rather easy to just avoid the attacks because you could see them comming a mile away but I always just thought that it was just low level content so you still had training wheels on. 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

tera looks to be a very good game so far fromw hat ive played just wish there was some kinda english patch : /

• omniskillzomniskillz Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Goggy

There are a lot of other reviews here with people talking about questing being of the standard affair. Why can't people just be honest about it.

Seriously, i don't care what anyone says.  Kill 8 of this, kill 10 of that........kill another 10 of these. You know what i mean. I was actually pretty much bored with quests within the  first couple of hours, its that bad!

Ok, so they tried to break it up a little with a climbing quest, woohoo! that took all of 2 minutes, now go kill more of those little cute piggy things.

Do you know why quests haven't changed in over 10 years? because theres no better option for purpose and direction.

Involving yourself in the story alleviates the negative feedback you put on quests. If your breaking down the game as go here and kill # of mobs, ofcourse that seems boring and done repeatedly mind numbing.

The game alleviates that with story, since u can't read korean I wont say much. The game has great environment design. Every area has something new and its beautiful to look at. Alot of players take the TOP DOWN field of view and they totally miss the aesthetics of what the game provides in the skyline. Yes in combat top down is needed to get the crosshair on your target, but while your wandering areas or walking to your next destination

pan up and see the beauty of the game that adds to immersion. I can tell by your reference of killing a tree you only made it to level 4. Its a training area, to get you acclimated to the function of dodging and learning game mechanics, things get faster and some mob skills become inescapable later on.

I cant see where RIFT does better in the quest department, I played it recent beta weekend to 22. Its the same convention.

I haven't read anyone marvel at the quests in TERA as next gen, but it is very user friendly to the point of making you look stupid. To the point where you could totally not read the quest dialogue and cheapen the game experience by "saving time" not reading.

I'm not sure what will wow or please you as your mmo of choice, but I'll let the dev of that said game worry.

for me the graphics in TERA wow'd me and the gameplay has pleased me. Maybe they should change the named to TERA MMO Combat Evoved (rip on halo)

and to piggyback Blade and Soul will be the next step in the combat evolution.

• PhayzPhayz Member UncommonPosts: 67

I don't know if anyone has stated this, nor have I done my homework much on this game RECENTLY (I followed the game for about 4-5 months reading/watching videos and whatnot, after which, I stopped for about 5 months-ish). Keep in mind, this is the Korean version of the game, En Masse Entertainment is developing TERA for the western crowd, so things may or may not be exactly the same...everyone knows Western gamers hate grinding (most western gamers anyway, (mostly casual gamers)). Personally I could care less either way. 

Just a thought.

I'm prepared to be flamed lol, by those that seek to prove people wrong.

• omniskillzomniskillz Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Phayz

Just a thought.

the westernization process is changing dialogue, cultural reference and jokes in the game to satisfy people that dont live in korea.

the process also includes changing of the leveling curve and faster access to areas via teleporter npcs.

and to be quite honest, i dont think much needs to change in the leveling curve department from what I've experienced.

think about it this way. If you had the option would you like to zip through your childhood and teenage years right in to your mid 20's and into your chosen career for life to start your true grind?

if you answered yes, you missed the most important part of your life and really theres no helping you.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

I don't know if anyone has stated this, nor have I done my homework much on this game RECENTLY (I followed the game for about 4-5 months reading/watching videos and whatnot, after which, I stopped for about 5 months-ish). Keep in mind, this is the Korean version of the game, En Masse Entertainment is developing TERA for the western crowd, so things may or may not be exactly the same...everyone knows Western gamers hate grinding (most western gamers anyway, (mostly casual gamers)). Personally I could care less either way. 

Just a thought.

Your wrong on one thing. People like grinding....as long as its hidden well with fun and achievement. I think alot more people these days just want to level ASAP and if its not fast then its a grind. Sad I say.

• PhayzPhayz Member UncommonPosts: 67

Originally posted by Lathander81

Just a thought.

Your wrong on one thing. People like grinding....as long as its hidden well with fun and achievement. I think alot more people these days just want to level ASAP and if its not fast then its a grind. Sad I say.

I didn't say everyone hated grinding, I said MOST western gamers hate grinding, of course there are a lot of people that like the grind, but MOST western gamers that hate grinding outweigh western gamers that like grinding. The west is filled mostly with casual gamers, it's not like the east where gamers are freakin celebrities lol. seriously, go watch one of those tournaments in the east where they all come out walking like they're about to step onto americas best dance crew stage and start dancing, with matching uniforms and all that shit lol, but no, instead, they sit down in front of a live audience and play a game on a computer... the audience is usually pretty big and it's usually broadcast on live tv. It's basically a sport over there.

While I agree with you that it is indeed sad, I personally enjoy the grind, but I think this is one of those debates where neither side is right or wrong, it's an ongoing pointless debate that probably won't go away until everyone gets over themselves and just learns to stop caring about it.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Lathander81

Just a thought.

I didn't say everyone hated grinding, I said MOST western gamers hate grinding, of course there are a lot of people that like the grind, but MOST western gamers that hate grinding outweigh western gamers that like grinding. The west is filled mostly with casual gamers, it's not like the east where gamers are freakin celebrities lol. seriously, go watch one of those tournaments in the east where they all come out walking like they're about to step onto americas best dance crew stage and start dancing, with matching uniforms and all that shit lol, but no, instead, they sit down in front of a live audience and play a game on a computer in the center of the stage...and the audience is usually pretty big.

While I agree with you that it is indeed sad, I personally enjoy the grind, but I think this is one of those debates where neither side is right or wrong, it's an ongoing pointless debate that probably won't go away until everyone gets over themselves and just learns to stop caring about it.

+1

Dude I lived in Japan & Korea for two years and I remember staying up late at night watching SC matches on TV image  Those were some good times, along with all there other crazy shows  image

Sadly the NA player base has turned casual these days.  The result of this has made a direct impact on how mmo's are made today.  Mmo's are no longer about the community, they are designed these days to cater to the individual.  And that individual wants instant gratification.

Don't get me wrong on grind,  I am too long in the tooth to do "grinding sessions" like I did in <blank> game years ago.  But I would like a good moderate pace to the leveling.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by Goggy

Its now time for a more negative review, sorry guys.

Lets start with a positive. No question about it, the graphics really are top notch, and it all runs very smoothly. The mobs have a distinctive asian style to them and they are really well designed. would definately like to see more MMO's using the Unreal engine.

The environments are really nice looking, but thats about it. Theres not much to do other than quests, haven't really found a need to explore, probably because you can't, seems pretty much on rails tbh.

Character creation is also something of worthy note. The characters look incredible and there seems to be quite a lot of customisation. There are some very nice hairdos available aswell.

Audio seems pretty much of the standard fantasy affair. Some nice music and some meaty sound effects to go with combat, nothing special though.

My second negative.....Combat! (and this is just my opinion, so calm down fanboys)

Ok, we all know it's the future of MMO's....is it really?! is it f**k!

I'll just describe to you a little fight i had, i think it was a named mob, a tree or something like that.

So, i run upto him, left click, left click, F1(special swirly attack of some sort), then he decides to do his 'i can't be arsed, so i'll just fall on you attack', luckily for me he is that slow, that i have enough time to go downstairs make myself a sandwich, drink a nice cup of tea, check my lottery ticket, come back move one step to the left and dodge it.

And thats basically every fight, most mobs have some kind of special attack where you just move one step to the side and they miss. Actually its quite funny to see one of those blobby things prep up for his roly poly attack, and just see him roll right past you down the hill, hehe.

I just don't find it as engaging as your run of the mill WoW / EQ / LOTR clone. It sounds weird i know. But thats how it is.

It's fine if you wanna flame me, i probably won't reply anyway. I'm just giving you my opinion on the game.

Im not gonna argue with your entire post,but that named mob fight you mentioned is a 4-5 lvl quest.I dont know how much challenge you ewxpect to have when you only have 2 or 3 skills learned at those low levels.Maybe the combat of Rift/WoW/WAR where you have to just stand there and spam 1-2 suits you better.Iallready had the need of using strategies to kill 10lvl+ mobs.If u just stand there smashing 1,2,3 you will just die after the first or second mob.

This discussion has been closed.