Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I went back to Aion and I gotta say...

13»

Comments

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by IceAge

Originally posted by cheyane

Is this game's main focus PvP now ? I am just curious that if I were to go abck witll the PvE be enough. I recall the crafting was brutal the random fails. I know a few higher level guildmates talked of losing millions. I cannot imagine trying to compete with those odds.

PvP happens more in the 50+ zones ! There is plenty of PvP below lvl 50 too , but not that much as when you fight on lvl 50+ zones. They add PVE content too, like single instance, increse in XP from quests and such.

Crafting has seen a significal improvment in the last patch ! http://powerwiki.uk.aiononline.com/aion/Patch+Notes+2.1.0.5 Read it !

Aion has been improving all around, but it will continue to be the game that it is...it's not for everybody, for sure.

<made this gif tonite, had to share it LOL>

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Lathander81

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

Originally posted by Solestran

Originally posted by Pelaaja

Are you lvl 50 (or 55 now i guess)? Because all i know is when i hit 50 and failed on miragents so many times there were people that were 45ish when i started working on my miragents that had it by the time i got to my 3rd failed attempt because they got lucky on their first try.. Those people pwnt me, it didn't matter if it was a templar and i was a cleric if you had miragents and i didn't you would kill me in less then 2seconds..

Miragents/Fenris are only good for the title (after grinding for the weapon), your info is dated.

These days you'd really want enchanted AP gear for PvP and enchanted Eternal gear for PvE, everything else is just not worth it.

And because of raised drop rates on various items, you vendor them and buy your BBBS instead of dropping the bloods from mobs.

I consider it a failed system that relegates players to a single set of gear to be competitive.  There should be several if not dozens of sets that should be competitive.  Giving variety in looks, variety in builds and variety in extraneous stats and or abilities on the gear.  These sets should be available through different paths of progression, from PvP to PvE and solo, group and raid, questing, random world drop, camping, crafting....etc.  No matter your play style, you should end up with decent, competitive gear.

What your saying makes no sense. There are different sets of gear. Pvp, pve, and quested gear. So you can pvp for AP and get the PVP set. You can do dungeons/raids for PVE gear. Then lastly, thru hard work and luck you can craft the Mirgent/Fenris set. So there are many paths you can take and they are all competive.  People are crying because you can't immediately get the best gear in game easy. The funny thing is with the new expansion there are other sets that make Mirgent/Fenrir obsolete. So your arguement is makes no sense because everything your saying is in the game already.

I don't think people are mad that Miragents is "hard" to get.. Because its anything but "hard".. Waiting for random NPC spawns isnt hard, grinding 1star mobs 1000's times over waiting for 20% drop rate items is not hard, killing fort guards over and over is not hard.. It's all so mind numbingly easy, and NC Soft could've done a lot better with that part of the game.. I mean, they could've made it funner by giving you challanges like "Kill x and x world bosses" instead of waiting 2 hrs for random NPC spawns.. lol

I think everyone who has worked on miragents will agree with me on this one.. It's not hard to get by a long shot, it's based on luck and you're patience.. Two things that were wearing thin on me towards the end of my time in AION..

All i know is at launch if you didn't have miragents you'd die.. So getting to 50 was a waste unless you'd grind miragents out.. Lv 50 abyss gear wasn't even thought about (even though i had shield+belt alrdy) because of its grind to get.. So when the game launched till about 7months later the system was indeed as bad as people are saying it is.. And i think thats why AION still catches a lot of heat.. These peoples opinions are valid if they played the game at launch like i did..

I'am glad NC Soft fixed some of the problems but they were stupid descisions that should've been taken out for the western market anyways.. And because of it NC lost a lot of its western players and IMHO won't be able to recover here on the west this year when the bigger names get released.

Dosn't matter much though because AION runs the east with a iron fist.. Subs still pour in from there im sure.

I played the game at launch and the people that usually go for Miragents are hard core pvpers. So if they were hard core and your not you problably would be dead no matter what you are wearing. PVPgear is still better and I've see people get beat 1v1 with Fenris on while the other person didn't. 

As for the NC changing things for its west players that has been done. If you have been on lately you would know that the west is doing fine. I disagree that a company should totally change is game to cater to our every want. You know that its an eastern game and should expect as much.

The truth is Aion is an awesome game with flaws just like other games. I think in the coming year it will only get better.

I was a hardcore pvper.. Took #11 legion on Fregion to #2 before i switched to the #1 legion (after our legion died when mass exodus of aion took place 3-4 months in.) I was also the first lvl 50 cleric on fregion.. But as i said, i failed 6 times on bloodstains so people that were 45 when i was 50 started getting lucky on on their 1st roll and they got miragents 1st, even though i put in way more work lvling to hit 50 before them and collecting bloodstains.. 

And i know lv 50 abyss gear is better then miragents but at the time when i was working on my stains most people were around lv 30-45 and the population started to already dwindle.. So getting AP was pretty hard and the quickest way to earn it was grinding fort guards; which ironically drop bloodstains.. So you might as well go for miragents while you save up for lv 50 gear.. I had a lv 50 belt/sheild by the time i was done on my 6th bloodstain attempt because of all the fort guards/people i ganked while grinding guards, ect..

I knew AION was from the east, shoot, anyone who played the game at launch knew that.. I grinded mobs in idratu 8-12hrs a day rather then questing, so ofcourse its a eastern game lol.. BUT, when more people started to hit 50 and work on miragents at one point NC Softs Suggestion Forum has its first 3 pages FULL of miragent/fenrils complaint.. I still might even have screen shots of the forums from back then (as i emailed them to NC Soft and pleaded that they change miragents with many others) it was a ugly sight and not one GM/Dev took the time to respond to its players that worked so hard to hit that cap so earlie.. MANY, MANY, MANY people quit.. I'am sure if you asked 90% of the people who quit after hitting 50 at that point in the game they will tell you it was because of miragents.

Like i said, AION is a great game (especially its pvp system) but it has some mortal flaws that just wont make it as succesful as it is back east.. I know they are changeing and tweaking the game but if you ask around most people see AION as something has come and gone.. I know its population is strong atm but thats only because they had to slash servers; which isn't a sign of a succesful MMO.. But i still beleive AION will continue for a time to come; the game has already been paid for because of its success' in the east and the patches/updates just need to be translated and hopefully westernized/tweaked.. Not a lot of cost to keep AION running really.

I think you were just left with a bad taste in your mouth and don't want to be wrong. The truth is yes lot of people left due to craft/miragents. Its also true that many people have returned (myself) and found the game totally new and changed. Ncsoft took a while but they listed to they customers and the reasonable flaws are being dealt with. Speaking of which after checking the website even more stuff is being changed to make the game more streamlined http://powerwiki.na.aiononline.com/aion/Patch+Notes+2.1.0.5.

How am i wrong when thats all i was trying to say the whole time? I wasn't the only one with a bad taste left in my mouth, as you said it you're self plenty of people left because of miragents/crafting.. And if you lvl'd to 50 and grinded as much as i did to get their only to find out a even bigger grind comes ahead at 50 then you'd have a bad taste left in you're mouth also (no pun intended lol.)

With that said i have been debateing weather to return to AION myself.. It'd save me $$ because if i went back and decided to stay for a few months until atleast SWTOR comes out then i wouldn't have to buy Rift lol.. I still got my AION tin case collecting dust and i've come to terms NO other game will offer as thrilling pvp as AION did for me.. But then the fact i have to start all over as i sold my account off.. And knowing eventually miragents lies a head..

But since i only plan on playing till SWTOR (few months hopefully) there won't be no big rush for me to hit lv 50 first and this time i could quest/instance/get into the lore instead of kiteing mobs in idratu for 8hrs+ a day.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Z-manX

Miragents is probably probably low on the list for reasons why so many have quit.

From my observations of the topics posted in the forums the top 2 would be.

1.  The rampant ganking and griefing from twinked out rifters.

2. Manastone socketing game mechanic. Spend millions or even tens of millions of game currency to enhance your armor or weapon and ultimately end up with nothing because if one fails to socket they all disappear.

I think manastone socketing in Aion  is probably  the most aggravating game mechanic of any MMO I've ever played. There are hundreds of posts from raging players on this subject.

I guess i'am one of those people on that "low list" as either of those systems don't bother me lol.. I loved Rifting, i loved ganking, i loved being ganked, its what got my heart beating quickly in AION.. I'am sad that they nerfed the Rift system, not that it turned into a gank fest.. It was an amazeing feature and everyone on Fregion talked highly of it, but then again i played at launch so there was no huge gankfests cuz everyone was on even playing fields.

And socketing was easy if you had the isk, back when i played AION bloodstains sold for 300-400k each.. I was one of the higher lvls on my server so i could grind bloodstains without being bothered much.. The irony is even though i made a small fortune selling them earlie on i spent all that kinah buying them back up later on (at an inflated price ofcourse) to fail several times on my own leggings.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• ghaianaghaiana Member UncommonPosts: 106

I don't like the ganking in Aion, but I always found a way around being ganked. I like Aion, it's not easymode like WoW and you really have to plan ahead and set goals. Grinding, it's what your definition of grinding is, a kill 20 boars quest is to me as much grinding as repeat quests. Usually I don't really run out of quests. If you craft and gather, you'll have plenty quests left. 

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

hellfyre, you don't have to quote the whole page, you are making it longer.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I wouldn't have minded the slow leveling pace if I didn't feel like I was forced to run the same repeatable quests over and over again just to gain XP.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I wouldn't have minded the slow leveling pace if I didn't feel like I was forced to run the same repeatable quests over and over again just to gain XP.

Well in any game you are forced to do quests and dungeons to level. If your bored of repeats then go to another area, craft or Pvp. I think that if you take some of the focus off leveling and just play you would not feel like your being "forced".

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Well in any game you are forced to do quests and dungeons to level. If your bored of repeats then go to another area, craft or Pvp. I think that if you take some of the focus off leveling and just play you would not feel like your being "forced".

My character isn't high enough to run any dungeons, and I'm not a big fan of crafting.

Overall, I think leveling is Aion is more of a grind than the leveling in EQ2, LotRO, WoW, and others, and I mean so in other ways than how long it takes to level.  The quests in Aion are largely quite simplistic, and in many cases, you really don't have enough original quests to level up, which makes you forced to run repeatable kill quests until you're high enough to get sent to the next quest hub.  Just wasn't all that enjoyable for me.

• uniongameruniongamer Member Posts: 20

1. the drop rate rng crap (whether it be general loot drops or miragents) ruined this game.

2. laggy forts/pvp didnt help pvp much

3. the combat system in this game was horrible for any melee

4. the best pve gear dropped in elyos territory, asmo's were kinda gimped by this (extendable weapons)

5. i dont miss playing this but i miss my legion still <flawless> !!

6. best memory ever: taking my 39 SM alt with 2 other alts (chanter and a sin) rifting to elyos land and ganking lvl 50's who were botting gather nodes. we did this many nights and then posted screenshots on forums clowning lvl 50's who were either botting or just sucked.

My character isn't high enough to run any dungeons, and I'm not a big fan of crafting.

Overall, I think leveling is Aion is more of a grind than the leveling in EQ2, LotRO, WoW, and others, and I mean so in other ways than how long it takes to level.  The quests in Aion are largely quite simplistic, and in many cases, you really don't have enough original quests to level up, which makes you forced to run repeatable kill quests until you're high enough to get sent to the next quest hub.  Just wasn't all that enjoyable for me.

What level are you? Cause the first dungeon is level 25 and going once will level you. Maybe the game was not for you but really EQ grind is serious, never played Lotro, and WOW shouldn't be in the same sentence since level has been made easy -mode so you can play with your friends. Honestly, I didn' have to start doing repeatable until like level 45+.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

What level are you? Cause the first dungeon is level 25 and going once will level you. Maybe the game was not for you but really EQ grind is serious, never played Lotro, and WOW shouldn't be in the same sentence since level has been made easy -mode so you can play with your friends. Honestly, I didn' have to start doing repeatable until like level 45+.

She meant that the first group dungeon is at lvl 25! The first dungeon, which is solo .. starts at lvl 18 ;)

I think "SuperXero89" just does not want to play the game or else, I don't know how he missed the lvl 18 dungeon! Also , saying Aion is more of a grind then let's say EQ2 or WoW it means you are doing something wrong. Specialy at lvl .. 15 or .. 17 :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Originally posted by IceAge

She meant that the first group dungeon is at lvl 25! The first dungeon, which is solo .. starts at lvl 18 ;)

I think "SuperXero89" just does not want to play the game or else, I don't know how he missed the lvl 18 dungeon! Also , saying Aion is more of a grind then let's say EQ2 or WoW it means you are doing something wrong. Specialy at lvl .. 15 or .. 17 :)

Yes sorry there is a level 18-22 solo one I forgot haha. You can level like a demon all the way to level 35+ doing quests and FT. It slows down a little until you can do Kromedies Trial Level 37 and  KHQ/MM. 

• jpjibfestjpjibfest Member Posts: 7

aight I'll add some things. I've been playing AION since Launch had recently quit prior to 2.0 and came back , made a new toon I got 40 in 3 weeks ( sure I had still money from my main so i could equip it well ) and recently a 2x XP event kicked in with some AP ( abyss point ) bonus as well I di 41 to 49 in merely 2 weeks

so to everyone who says AION is still a grind damn , you sure QQ alot you can get max level in rougtly 2 months.

also they added so much xp/rewards/bonus to ALL THE QUESTS you can get like 30 % more everywhere. YOU CAN'T EVEN finish all the quests you get at the level requirement you're always higher you end up deleting more than you clear 'acuse the rewards become obsolete really guys

GIVE AION A SECOND TRY it's so worth it now that's in 2.Xxx

also   play Asmodian .  Elyos are overpopulated and it imbalance the servers the prices for stuff are sky high, wich is not on asmodian side.

thanks

Sizer - 55 - gladiator - rising dragoon - new zikel

Ziperman - 49 - ranger - rising dragoon - new zikel

• dennis20014dennis20014 Member Posts: 2

Yeah it seems like a grind when compared too WoW lol

I played wow many years ago (and off an on a few times since) but last time I was playing I had just finished up a month or two of Aion.

My level 28 "Night elf Druid" had a total max of 28k xp to level up. I LOL'd so hard. 

At the time Level 28 was like 1 or 2 million. I was like WoW!! (pun intended!!)

I love this game, probably will come back soon. I check for the updates and they constantly put out new information for players, even if some of it is retarded.

Server population continues to grow it seems, and Abyss seems to level out for most part (some servers are one sided but eh can't have it all perfect)

It always works out in the end

• MadninMadnin Member Posts: 55

Two things.....(I used to play)

Did they fix the horribad lag when sieges happen?

Did they somehow fix pvp, where the rangers would be OP in flight?

Both reasons why  I left, being melee meant being at a disadvantage.

And sieges were really the worst lag I've ever seen, and I've played games for many years....

"It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth -- and listen to the song of that syren, till she transforms us into beasts. ... Are we disposed to be of the number of those, who having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not?" --Patrick Henry

• mickeykikohmickeykikoh Member Posts: 29

Whenever I try to imagine what the development process might have been like for AION I usually picture a circus performer trying to manage half-a-dozen spinning plates on sticks. See, NCSoft's latest MMORPG tries so hard to simultaneously cater to a number of divergent tastes: Namely, fans of either Western or Eastern MMO design. The developers have made an admirable effort, for sure, but I'm afraid it's one that's doomed to disappoint on more than one front.