Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LotrO revenue TRIPPLED with F2P

13»

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Shows you the danger of lifetime subs.  3 x not very much = not very much.

I think popular opinion is LoTRO had about 200 to 250k subs prior to f2p.

Let's be conservative and say it was 150k.

Let's multiply that by 15 bucks a month = 2,250,000$ gross profit per month.

Now let's multiply that for the year = 27, 000, 000$.

now multiply that by 3 to get their gross after the change = 81,000,0000.

81 million dollars gross is a lot of money.

Well I still say its to bad they are not reinvesting it into the game. I guess they have to pay back the 40 mill they got from investors to prop them up until they got bought out, that's sill 40 mill gross.  Anyways I don't believe those numbers. I got a feeling that the cash they are making is being used to fund the creation of their next mmo.   Money being made but put back into the game no it sure is not and it shows.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by erictlewis

Well I still say its to bad they are not reinvesting it into the game. .... Money being made but put back into the game no it sure is not and it shows.

I don't see how you figure that.  F2p cost money to do just by itself.  They had a new zone when it went F2p, a new x-pac? / zone set? (Isengard) is coming out.  Dwarf/Elf starter intro got redone.  Brand new Yule festival and then there has been some changes that haven't gone over quite as big (store changes, original wardrobe setup things like that) but still cost money.

If you're looking for core game changes (combat, new races or whatever) then all I can say is don't hold your breath cuz that ain't happening.

Honestly I think a F2p model like LotRO or DDO actually requires more to go into it to keep it viable than a normal sub model game.  You have to keep making changes just to keep / attract new players and get them to spend their money.

If WoW was still a vanilla version they'd probably still have over a million subs.  If DDO never had added any new adventure packs after going F2p it would be down the sink by now.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Nebless

Originally posted by erictlewis

Well I still say its to bad they are not reinvesting it into the game. .... Money being made but put back into the game no it sure is not and it shows.

I don't see how you figure that.  F2p cost money to do just by itself.  They had a new zone when it went F2p, a new x-pac? / zone set? (Isengard) is coming out.  Dwarf/Elf starter intro got redone.  Brand new Yule festival and then there has been some changes that haven't gone over quite as big (store changes, original wardrobe setup things like that) but still cost money.

If you're looking for core game changes (combat, new races or whatever) then all I can say is don't hold your breath cuz that ain't happening.

Honestly I think a F2p model like LotRO or DDO actually requires more to go into it to keep it viable than a normal sub model game.  You have to keep making changes just to keep / attract new players and get them to spend their money.

If WoW was still a vanilla version they'd probably still have over a million subs.  If DDO never had added any new adventure packs after going F2p it would be down the sink by now.

Facts speak for themselves.  They used to pump out updates every 3 months.  Then it slowed down to every 6 months. Last year the only update we got as far as content was free to play along with the new region.  They have an update coming out next month.  However are they going to ever get back to the original promise they laid out when we were in alfa of updates every 3 months, I just don't see it happening.

Now I do agree it took all the resources they had to go free to play, its really to bad because the end game content or lack of it is bothersome, now if you like to roll new toons and look at the rewrites for the new ares 3 times over now then yes that's good.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I seriously doubt Warner Bros. ...after having  it's accountants and lawyers look over all the paperwork ......would decide to purchase Turbine because it's games were failing miserably. Especially when Turbine showed WB how it turned around a game that was actually failing and planned to apply that same model to a game that was already making them decent money. Maybe not WOW money...but decent money none-the-less.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm of the opinion that LOTRO is quickly becoming king of the F2P market.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.