Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO2 being developed?

virindi1virindi1 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Hey MMORPG, I saw this today:

http://www.mmoculture.com/2010/12/rumor-ultima-online-2-back-on-track.html

The guy who started MMORPGs might be coming back for more. I laughed about the first comment on the article: Garriot just has too much free time. :)

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Never played UO, but I did play Ultima on the old MSX late 80s. Would love to see UO2 back in development and start to play it ;)

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

Wow, I really hope that this is true.

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

This could be AWESOME... even if only for nostalgia factor.  Games have advanced SO far since these days but MAN, I used to farm mats for HOURS so I could cast my spells in the caves.  And lord knows I learned to stop opening chests in the wilderness because of this game.

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

If EA don't cancel it again then why not ^_^

To be honest i stopped on Ultima V but any new mmorpg is a good news to me ^_^

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

It could be great or it could be another WoW clone. But most likely it's just a baseless rumor.

Once upon a time....

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I doubt very much that EA sold the Ultima IP to Richard Garriot as the article suggests.  If that was the case he would own ultima online.

It could be possible that he is teaming up with EA to create a new ultima mmo.  Perhaps he is creating a new studio? 

Personally I would like to see it.  The worst that happens is it is just another log on the pile failed mmos.  Just the chance that something does happen to click is enough to want to see it happen.  The guy knows how to make fun games.  The problem is can a company heep richard focused enough to get it done right and not get to hands on invovled to screw it up.  Those are pretty big obsticles.

• donkeysdonkeys Member Posts: 239

The only game NCsoft ever had to shut down was his game. No one wanted to play it. Tabula Rasa. How is this guy even allowed to start up a new company.

Collector's editions are scams.

• KioriKiori Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by donkeys

The only game NCsoft ever had to shut down was his game. No one wanted to play it. Tabula Rasa. How is this guy even allowed to start up a new company.

Didn't they shut down Auto Assault as well? Regardless of the lack of commercial success for Tabula Rasa, Garriot still has innovative and interesting ideas. Besides that, the man's legend precedes him.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Well, in truth they also shut down Auto Assault and Dungeon Runners and Exteel.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

He is allowed to continue within the industry becuase of his past endeavours, 1 failure does not mean all the years you have worked in the gaming industry gets wiped out, sure your ego and rep takes a knock, but just like football managers, you have to make sure you have a good team to ensure your able to beat the rest of the market with your product.

However as I have never managed to create my own legacy of games who am I to judge him! I suspect you yourself though must have a porfolio of successful games that have worldwide acclaim.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

OMG I hope this is true.

• donkeysdonkeys Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by MMOrUS

However as I have never managed to create my own legacy of games who am I to judge him! I suspect you yourself though must have a porfolio of successful games that have worldwide acclaim.

Ultima and UO never had worldwide acclaim, it's was a strictly NA thing. Ultima series were pretty bad games too  compared to what was coming out of Japan. The US just never got exposed to those games so they thought Ultime was "da bomb", they were very mediocre RPG.

Collector's editions are scams.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Its common knowledge the RG is working on a new social networking MMOG, but I doubt it will have the Ultima name attached to it.

• hinge645hinge645 Member UncommonPosts: 63

What so having a failure means you can never ever try again? Please. Even the best of the best experience failure. The difference between strong people and weak people is that the strong ones get back in there and try again while the weak ones just give up.

[object Window]

Before I criticize a man, I walk a mile in his shoes.
    That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
  • sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Those models look horrible... They look like they were taken from Entropia Universe pre cry engine.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by virindi1

Hey MMORPG, I saw this today:

http://www.mmoculture.com/2010/12/rumor-ultima-online-2-back-on-track.html

The guy who started MMORPGs might be coming back for more. I laughed about the first comment on the article: Garriot just has too much free time. :)

He did not create MMORPGs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_59

M59 was the first MMORPG, UO was the first sandbox one however and it still have some fans.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

This is a rumor that gets recycled at least once a year, but it's always a fun rumor nevertheless.

The trouble UO faces in any attempt at renewal is that the core community itself is in a constant state of holy war over the soul of the game with little desire in any faction to coexist with alternative playstyles.  The constant negative pushback from diehards would be an enormous obsticle to reinventing the game.

That said, I'd love to be involved in a project like that.  It would be so much fun to participate in taking another shot at reconcilling intangible ideals like virtues with the cold min-maxing of mechanics by players, fleshing out the lore and constructing a weave of minigames updating the ideas that have accumulated.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

That like the planetside 2 rumor that occasionally pops up?

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

The reason UO did well was Raph Koster. If there is an UO2 lets hope that the Lord High Commander God Emporor Space Cadet goes nowhere near it.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

He is allowed to continue within the industry becuase of his past endeavours, 1 failure does not mean all the years you have worked in the gaming industry gets wiped out, sure your ego and rep takes a knock, but just like football managers, you have to make sure you have a good team to ensure your able to beat the rest of the market with your product.

Ziiinggg

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Ultima and UO never had worldwide acclaim, it's was a strictly NA thing. Ultima series were pretty bad games too  compared to what was coming out of Japan. The US just never got exposed to those games so they thought Ultime was "da bomb", they were very mediocre RPG.

They were excelent game at the time ; and are still better than most of the trash being churned out (Graphics aside). You are just showing your ignorance.

I know a good game your tastes must be different.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by maplestone

This is a rumor that gets recycled at least once a year, but it's always a fun rumor nevertheless.

The trouble UO faces in any attempt at renewal is that the core community itself is in a constant state of holy war over the soul of the game with little desire in any faction to coexist with alternative playstyles.  The constant negative pushback from diehards would be an enormous obsticle to reinventing the game.

That said, I'd love to be involved in a project like that.  It would be so much fun to participate in taking another shot at reconcilling intangible ideals like virtues with the cold min-maxing of mechanics by players, fleshing out the lore and constructing a weave of minigames updating the ideas that have accumulated.

Id be happy with the UO virtue system + skill based progression + the World. And Gariott on Board.

As long as those systems were in with a sizeable world it would be great, lets face it it couldn't be any worse than most of the trash being produced at the moment.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Originally posted by Isane

They were excelent game at the time ; and are still better than most of the trash being churned out (Graphics aside). You are just showing your ignorance.

I know a good game your tastes must be different.

So you think UO was only focused in NA?...Obviously you havent met many of the japanese players or the European players. I remember a few times how racist people were. Just because there were some Japanese players running around people hunted them like they were Jews in WW2. Camped their corpse wandered around NPC healers just in case they respawned. And people weren't even conned RED pks. They turned themselves red just to kill em for fun. UO was a bigger game than you've know it to be.

• virindi1virindi1 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by Isane

Id be happy with the UO virtue system + skill based progression + the World. And Gariott on Board.

As long as those systems were in with a sizeable world it would be great, lets face it it couldn't be any worse than most of the trash being produced at the moment.

Seriously.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Its new ideas in a stagnant market.  I am really getting sick of Blizzard being the only one innovating sht every other expansion,  then everyone else trying to copy it.

Quest based leveling.  

+copied by everyone

Fun quests using quest based leveling

+copied

Phasing and great story telling as well as diversifying quests in different mannors

+copied

How many times have you heard some idiot MMO forumer talk about putting mini games into questing.  The only person to do it on a large scale  was WoW.  And amazingly it was a huge hit.