Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Way to go STO! Massively's 2010 awards.

SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Best Launch of 2010: Star Trek Online

Best PvP in a 2010 MMO: Star Trek Online

Best Capacity for Roleplaying in a 2010 MMO: Star Trek Online

Biggest Surprise Hit of 2010: Star Trek Online

Overall Best New MMO of 2010: Star Trek Online

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/03/massivelys-2010-players-choice-awards-results/

And a great plug to see Tabula Rasa the most missed MMO. Would love to see that come back somehow.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Comments

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

I am absolutely speachless.

How on earth anyone could give STO awards for anything is beyond me....

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Yes, because 2010 was the best year ever for MMOs and the competition was so damned fierce.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

I am absolutely speachless.

How on earth anyone could give STO awards for anything is beyond me....

Agreed, that i have to admit was something i didn't see coming.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by vesavius

Yes, because 2010 was the best year ever for MMOs and the competition was so damned fierce.

Exacly, i was speachless for a second ..then i remembered that even sto being so bad, all others were even worst..

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Some money definately changed hands without a shadow of a doubt.

Sure one award maybe if they fluked it but that many is downright mental.  Its quite clearly a publicity stunt to cream a few before swtor steals the whole player base.

• JanetsyJanetsy Member Posts: 35

Best PvP in a 2010 MMO?

Really?

Was all other PvP in MMO's of 2010 sooooo bad as to let this title take this claim?

In other news, Cryptic exec dude is caught in torrid affair with Massively's MMO award judge...

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Sevenwind

Best Launch of 2010: Star Trek Online

Best PvP in a 2010 MMO: Star Trek Online

Best Capacity for Roleplaying in a 2010 MMO: Star Trek Online

Biggest Surprise Hit of 2010: Star Trek Online

Overall Best New MMO of 2010: Star Trek Online

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/03/massivelys-2010-players-choice-awards-results/

And a great plug to see Tabula Rasa the most missed MMO. Would love to see that come back somehow.

Best suprise Hit of 2010.. Really.. lol.. Rofl..   I cant stop laughing..  rofl.. lol..  Someone really considers STO a hit..  lol.. A game based on the StarTrek license and it can't even pull in half a million subscriptions. Even less retain 1/10th the amount it did pull in. How does anyone in there right mind consider that a Surprise hit? A Game based upon one of the strongest Sci-fi licenses out there and its by all standards the biggest dud release of a MMO for a popular licenses.

I can give it points for Best capacity for Roleplaying. But anything beyound that is just laughing in the face of MMO's everywhere. I would like to know what STO dev came up with the program that cheated the voteing system or how much it cost to pay Massively off.

This has got to be a joke..  Checks the calander to see if its April..

Ok wait a second.. How in the heck does Eve Online qualify as a Indie MMO?   CCP is anything BUT a indie dev studio. They are working on several MMO's and has a team much larger then most other MMO companys. If anything CCP is anything but a indie developer so there is no way Eve Online can be considered a indie MMO.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I was ready to accept these results, however when I got to the part about "Most Anticipated Beyond 2012".. Seriously, Blizzards Unnamed MMO and None of the above?

This tells a horrific story as to where the mmo scene is headed.. it almost seems that no matter what is released, people are going to only want to play Blizzard MMO's or nothing at all even if they never try them at all..

I never tried STO was never really into the Star trek universe.. But there was alot of trashing going on (specifically here on these forums) and despite all that if this is being held as the best of 2010, then... Either developers have really got lazy, or our standards are too far above the "median"..

• DaethisDaethis Member UncommonPosts: 10

Originally posted by Wicoa

Sure one award maybe if they fluked it but that many is downright mental.  Its quite clearly a publicity stunt to cream a few before swtor steals the whole player base.

Totally. Also, we didn't land on the moon.

Originally posted by Vyeth

I was ready to accept these results, however when I got to the part about "Most Anticipated Beyond 2012".. Seriously, Blizzards Unnamed MMO and None of the above?

This tells a horrific story as to where the mmo scene is headed.. it almost seems that no matter what is released, people are going to only want to play Blizzard MMO's or nothing at all even if they never try them at all..

I never tried STO was never really into the Star trek universe.. But there was alot of trashing going on (specifically here on these forums) and despite all that if this is being held as the best of 2010, then... Either developers have really got lazy, or our standards are too far above the "median"..

It's fairly safe to say that our standards are way high as far as MMO's go. Blizzard has managed to show us what true developers can do with some real money and real time to put into a project. They continue to show that they have a very good ideal of what the general casual MMO players want out of a MMO. Heck theres no way they dont have a good ideal with over 4k NA subscriptions going on and continueing to push out new records with expansion releases. It's fairly crazy when there Expansion becomes the fastest selling PC Game EVER.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Well... good for Cryptic and STO I guess.    /shrug

I do not necessarily agree with the outcome, but thats just me.  I would like to know where the votes came from though.  Did the STO players flock in mass to massivley?  Was it just a conglomerate of fanboys clicking on the vote for STO button?  A combination of massivley users and STO players perhaps?  Or was the majority of votes made by people who really enjoy MMO's,  and this is truly how the MMO gaming community in general feels about STO?  It dosent really matter now I guess... the votes have gone in and the results announced... so there you go.

I will offer a couple suggestions to what I think would do well for STO.

1.  Overhauling the ground combat system.  This has been mentioned by devs so I am interested to see what they have  planned.

2. Squash the bugs and keep them squashed.  Have the QA dept. step up and really do some quality assurance testing.

3. More Klingon only missions in greater frequency at least till they are caught up to the feds.

4. Deep space encounters really need to be revamped to when you encounter them you are not immediatly butt raped by a fleet of ships.

There are other thoughts and suggestions I have, but I have to many to really sit down and write them all out.

So I thought I would just drop in... say my peace and leave it at that.  

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Considering WoW has nearly as many subscribers as all other MMOs combined I'm not why this would be surprising.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Originally posted by Thomas2006

It's fairly safe to say that our standards are way high as far as MMO's go. Blizzard has managed to show us what true developers can do with some real money and real time to put into a project. They continue to show that they have a very good ideal of what the general casual MMO players want out of a MMO. Heck theres no way they dont have a good ideal with over 4k NA subscriptions going on and continueing to push out new records with expansion releases. It's fairly crazy when there Expansion becomes the fastest selling PC Game EVER.

Whats funny, is that all you guys are doing is making it very difficult for Blizzard to deliver on its second try at MMO's... You are setting the bar probably even far beyond what they are capable of.. Chances are they will hand you the same shit on a platter and wrap it up in a pretty pink bow and hope you dont notice.. Lets face it, Blizzard can't really release a "WoW Clone" can they? Sure they can, but fans of the company will not see it as one.. They will probably blindly give their support to Blizzard so they can continue to dominate the way they have been..

But we've seen it happen in every form of media.. A song, album, movie, game, or book releases and becomes an instant hit, only to have its sequel severely BOMB because the fans expected something totally different...

Blizzard may look like MMO gods now, but we'll see after their second try if they become mortals again like the rest of the industry who is just trying to get in and earn their keep.. Just like EA Sports had to learn when NFL 2k5 came out.. one day they are going to have to compete, hopefully they will be ready.. :-)

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

nice to see that sto had stiff competition from none of the above in most categories.

yeah nice award cryptic, you beat out none of the above (barely in some categories)!

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by Daethis

Originally posted by Wicoa

Totally. Also, we didn't land on the moon.

I know right, the lunar landing was made in a hollywood basement (big house).

• ashfallenashfallen Member Posts: 186

I can only imagine the amount of times they wil repeat those awards in advertising.  The game was less than $5 on amazon over Christmas.

Originally posted by Thomas2006

Whats funny, is that all you guys are doing is making it very difficult for Blizzard to deliver on its second try at MMO's... You are setting the bar probably even far beyond what they are capable of.. Chances are they will hand you the same shit on a platter and wrap it up in a pretty pink bow and hope you dont notice.. Lets face it, Blizzard can't really release a "WoW Clone" can they? Sure they can, but fans of the company will not see it as one.. They will probably blindly give their support to Blizzard so they can continue to dominate the way they have been..

But we've seen it happen in every form of media.. A song, album, movie, game, or book releases and becomes an instant hit, only to have its sequel severely BOMB because the fans expected something totally different...

Blizzard may look like MMO gods now, but we'll see after their second try if they become mortals again like the rest of the industry who is just trying to get in and earn their keep.. Just like EA Sports had to learn when NFL 2k5 came out.. one day they are going to have to compete, hopefully they will be ready.. :-)

With the sole exception they have stated that there next MMO will be an original IP and not follow in the same route as World of Warcraft. There's alot of hints that point to it being more of a potential third person / action style MMO then another click and click MMO.

As far as Blizzard sitting the bar high. If anything every expansion they have released they have improved upon World of Warcraft. There storylines, quest layouts, and continueing to push forward has really improved World of Warcraft from its 2004 release. Much more so then any other game has attempted to do so far since then. There use of cutscenes and scripted events in quest lines has only really be rivaled by Guild Wars and even then Guild Wars is much less of a MMO when it comes to seeing other players out questing in the game world.

Games like Rift ,DCUO (even though I do enjoy the game) do not offer much in the way of pushing questing and the storyline forward. Rift is actually a step backwards when it comes to crafting and storyline.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

I have to laugh at all the posts regarding shady deals being responsible for that particular website's results. Come on people, 2010 was an absolutely horrible year for MMOs. Besides, every year these 'awards' happen, and every year devs and fans of the various MMOs post on their forums to 'get out the vote.' This year STO managed to get approximately 5700 of its players to vote for the game. No one should be surprised at Massively's results: Of all the games listed there where STO was a participant, STO's fans tend to be the most hardcore.

Seriously, did anyone actually expect Hello Kitty Online to sweep the categories? Most of those games are free to play titles anyway,  and the one title that could have competed with STO was as big of a mess as STO was. Unfortunately for FFXIV, its mess is still fresh in everyone's minds and it hasn't had the time to iron out the problems yet. STO winning most categories in Massively's contest was really a no-brainer. I am much more interested in how it does in the categories it was listed in on this website. Given how many people STO had voting at Massively, I am guessing that STO will not be at the bottom of the barrel here (provided they managed a similar turnout here as well).

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by ashfallen

I can only imagine the amount of times they wil repeat those awards in advertising.  The game was less than $5 on amazon over Christmas.

Why shouldn't they? It's a bit of free press for STO. Even more than that, it's a bit of positive free press; that's something that STO has seen precious little of. It's just like they promoted those few reviews that were positive at launch; it's someone else talking good about their game, and it costs them nothing.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

2010 was bad year for MMOs all around...It's like judging a season of Idols...You dont pick who's the greatest...you pick who sucks the least.  

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Originally posted by vesavius

Exacly, i was speachless for a second ..then i remembered that even sto being so bad, all others were even worst..

This... people are forgetting APB and FFXIV.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

more evidence that there are no such thing as online player communitites who are truly independant of the publishers.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by kishe

2010 was bad year for MMOs all around...It's like judging a season of Idols...You dont pick who's the greatest...you pick who sucks the least.  

This.  In any other year STO would have been buried, I think even DF would have done it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I had to look at my calendar and make sure it wasn't April 1st when I read this.

Seriously...did you see that Blizzard won best MMO studio but then got second in worst MMO studio...how does that happen unless you have trolls voting.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

This has to be a joke?