Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

These two nerds are everything thats wrong with STO.

D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/?p=3896

Fanboys. Of epic proportions. A marketing teams wet dream.

These are the people that let STO happen. Well no, not these two people exactly, but these peoples, people. Star Trek fanboys, who their show is dedicated to. You know, i used to consider myself a Star Trek fanboy, until i got to know the STO community. There are people still on the official forums who i remember from 2 years pre-release. People who didn't even like the direction the game was heading, but are happy to continually pay their monthly fee to this day just for a chance to take part in some STO gimmicks. They will resub just to buy a new 'uniform' from the C-store, or try out a new feature in a patch. They will queue up just to buy something new Cryptic pooped out to the C-store items like a new ship, or a Borg bridge officer.

If i re-skinned a Sovereign class to the shape of a tribbles turd and named it 'USS Craptic' they'd buy it.

They don't actually 'like' the game, they don't actually play it like you and i would, nor would they recommend it to a friend, or deem it a success. They literally subscribe to collect, to hoarde, because its 'star trek', and that is why Cryptic bought Star Trek, chewed it up, swallowed it, let it brew for a good year then crapped it out. Because ST fanboys are weak and Star Trek makes them buckle at the knee's. Hence why we are left with the steaming pile of dung that is STO today.

STO would be closed down right now if it wasn't for the admirable and unique nature of Star Trek fans that continue to (blissfully) fund these MMO criminals. And that's cool, im happy for them, but some ST fans like myself (and the majority) ultimately couldn't tolerate what Cryptic did with the IP. Sadly, these other Star Trek fans are simply being taken advantage of, and were from the very beginning. And that angers me, as ST fans are generally very nice people.

The end.

(Came back to check how STO was doing, checked the latest episode of 'STOked', saw their recent casts still revolve around reviews and 'previews' of basic features that should have been implemented from the beginning and decided not to even bother and make this thread instead.)

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

I approve of this message.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Agreed, I especially loved the part where they were made part of an Advisory council for STO , until the forums revolted. LMAO, these two wanted the Klingon faction removed from the game. All they do in game is whine and PvE.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Agreed, I especially loved the part where they were made part of an Advisory council for STO , until the forums revolted. LMAO, these two wanted the Klingon faction removed from the game. All they do in game is whine and PvE.

Actually there were a great many of us in beta who thought that the Klingons shouldn't have been in at launch, and should have been released as the first expansion race so that they could have been properly fleshed out. Unfortunately Jack Emmert decided that the Klingons absolutely had to be in there at launch.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• TheHelperTheHelper Member Posts: 108

I agree, though since I was an idiot and purchased lifetime subscription. I'll wait until it becomes an MMO and then play it. Since Champions Online is going f2p (LotRO style f2p) i assume STO is going to as well, and eventually with more people coming in, maybe changes will be made in the end.

But that's a massive if.

• pixeldogmeatpixeldogmeat Member Posts: 441

I got 4 people to play this crap, and none of us play it now. SO dissapointing that it was just some gimicky starship game with nothing else to it.

PLAY WURM ONLINE!! www.wurmonline.com

• TheHelperTheHelper Member Posts: 108

I agree, I mean it's freakin Star Trek, one shouldn't be able to screw it up

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by pixeldogmeat

I got 4 people to play this crap, and none of us play it now. SO dissapointing that it was just some gimicky starship game with nothing else to it.

At max, I had 8 people. And like you, not one (one being a MAJOR Star Trek fan who could quote sh!t from every movie, series, era) and not one of us lasted past 3 months.

Biggest disappointment of 2010 undoubtedly imo.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

What was really awesome was a post on the STO official site a few weeks back touting the only decent review at the time (it was actually a story on the front page too) in essence the reviewer said STO was an alright game but that Star Trek fans would take anything ST related, and the good folks at Cryptic thought of that as a good review, the forum debates following the post were great and illustrated perfectly the point I think your post is trying to make.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I watched their excuse of a blog/video or whatever you want to call it one time for about 2 minutes. When the game was still in beta.   I thought wow what a couple of boys who never made it out of their mothers basement.  In fact probably they filmed it in their mothers basement.

All I have to say is the op hit the nail on the head. On all accounts.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

I pre ordered STO and also convinced 3 friends to do so as well, one of them had never played an MMO before. My reputation with this person (when it comes to recomending a game) has gone way down now, granted one of them bought a lifetime sub but these days i laugh at him for it. I was so thrilled to hear what Cryptic had planned, Exploration, upgrading systems etc etc only to find what looks like a damned browser game with no exploration at all. Funny thing as well is i recall the video they released where the main guy answered some questions and that, one of the things he said was that new systems and planets and such would be added regularly and almost monthly from the way he described it. How long has the game been out? how many new systems and planets added?

I'm not angry really, just frustrated that developers feel the need to lie to their potential customers about the games they make, should be a law against it.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Well those beards make em look like they know what they're talking about ...

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

I played it, it was alright for the kind of game it was.. Something to do for a month or two before moving on to the next game, that sort of thing.

Also, just by posting on these forums, you are a 'nerd', so.. yea.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Just watched it. Don't know if I should laugh,cry or punch somebody in the face;)

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I personally preferred the chick that liked to shave her privates with her dad's razor, and share that little gem along with a bunch of cursing with the rest of the world.

• GnatBugGnatBug Member Posts: 75

I agree ..with the OP ..EPIC human factor FAIL!

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by D_TOX

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/?p=3896

Fanboys. Of epic proportions. A marketing teams wet dream.

These are the people that let STO happen. Well no, not these two people exactly, but these peoples, people. Star Trek fanboys, who their show is dedicated to. You know, i used to consider myself a Star Trek fanboy, until i got to know the STO community. There are people still on the official forums who i remember from 2 years pre-release. People who didn't even like the direction the game was heading, but are happy to continually pay their monthly fee to this day just for a chance to take part in some STO gimmicks. They will resub just to buy a new 'uniform' from the C-store, or try out a new feature in a patch. They will queue up just to buy something new Cryptic pooped out to the C-store items like a new ship, or a Borg bridge officer.

If i re-skinned a Sovereign class to the shape of a tribbles turd and named it 'USS Craptic' they'd buy it.

They don't actually 'like' the game, they don't actually play it like you and i would, nor would they recommend it to a friend, or deem it a success. They literally subscribe to collect, to hoarde, because its 'star trek', and that is why Cryptic bought Star Trek, chewed it up, swallowed it, let it brew for a good year then crapped it out. Because ST fanboys are weak and Star Trek makes them buckle at the knee's. Hence why we are left with the steaming pile of dung that is STO today.

STO would be closed down right now if it wasn't for the admirable and unique nature of Star Trek fans that continue to (blissfully) fund these MMO criminals. And that's cool, im happy for them, but some ST fans like myself (and the majority) ultimately couldn't tolerate what Cryptic did with the IP. Sadly, these other Star Trek fans are simply being taken advantage of, and were from the very beginning. And that angers me, as ST fans are generally very nice people.

The end.

(Came back to check how STO was doing, checked the latest episode of 'STOked', saw their recent casts still revolve around reviews and 'previews' of basic features that should have been implemented from the beginning and decided not to even bother and make this thread instead.)

Well, I have to say that I disagree with this totally. Jupiter Broadcasting is not doing anything different than people who use fraps to film their gameplay and put them up on you tube. These guys are simply promoting a game they like....what's the big deal? They give fairly decent reviews and have posted some useful stuff about STO.

I am a hardcore ST fan and too have been following this game long before its release. You see Cryptic sort of just "ended" up with STO after Perpetual folded. I seem to recall the huge wave of disappointment running through these forums because Star Trek was near total cancellation. Cryptic in turn picked up and followed through with a release. Some like it, others don't. Every genre has its own fan base. Star Trek has trekkies, Star Wars has theirs, WoW has theirs, Comic book fans follow CoX, CO, DCUO, etc. There are people that like to support the stuff they are interested in....plain and simple. They remain loyal to the game because online mmos have the ability to change over time.

Something you did say interestingly enough, you will find a lot of mmo players are "collectors" in their own right. They do subscribe, play a bit and collect stuff in the game. Soon, you will probably see a trend in virtual property in games like these. It's the reasons why people buy and sell accounts in various mmos. They are of value to collectors and I see nothing wrong with that. SWG (as old as it is) is probably among the older games like UO that had collectors buying/selling stuff early in the beginning.

So, sorry to hear you are not happy with STO.  

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Who exactly sees thse , this is all internal hype on the STO forums for Cryptic by a kiss @$$ clan .

• DevilHawkDevilHawk Member Posts: 179

I've followed the concept of this game since Perpetual first mentioned it.  Looked forward to it for years. Was accepted to closed beta to sadly find out that the Devs could care less what the testers thought. Seriously...  Not to mention that they wouldn't even give the beta testers more then an hour or two to sit down with the game. Obviously now, that it was due to how screwed up it was and that Cryptic had crap for end game.

This is one game where you shouldn't blame the beta testers, this is pure dev crap. They havn't listened at all... and are there to make a quick buck, thats it. 

The only good thing that came out of this, is that Cryptic's reputation has been destroyed. There are die hards here, as with just about every other game, but I hardly doubt that Cryptic will be able to ever launch another title with any success.

Now... a good time later, since I am a lifetimer as well, I've dropped in and checked things out. Ok, some stuff has improved a bit, theres a little more content, new crafting etc...  So since my Tac was already max level I decided to run an Engineer... get him to Vice and find that I would have to pay cash for the Pvp version of ship I would fly for that tier. Are you fracken kidding me????   We're not talking about just a costume here, but actual extra firepower for a ship that you have to buy in the CStore.

Cryptic swore that this would never happen... I guess you can add LIARS to the reputation Craptic has spawned.

Personally, all I wanted was a half decent ST game that followed up the old Klingon Academy decently. Cryptic failed.... epicly.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

I am not saying you are wrong but what the players wanted/expected and cryptic developed were two opposite spectrums. The game was near completion on Cryptics end when beta testers came in. The beta testers were supposed to find out what bugs/tweaks were in the game as is but as always it turned out that beta testers ranted and raved what the game should have been and started plastering posts everywhere. Essentially the testers wanted to basically re do the game. I seem to recall Cryptic even touched on the subject from one of the Dev posts.

All in all Star Trek Online is what it is. Of course If Cryptic hadn't picked up the rights to the game, it would have been dead and a online Star Trek title never released. Then these forums would be filled with "we want a STO game" threads.

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Actually very few of the beta testers (closed beta) wanted to see the game changed completely. They wanted things changed, a number of bugs squashed that stayed in the game, some of which were not even fixed in the recent season three that was supposed to be dedicated to fixing these bugs. Nearly all who tried the KDF side, said it wasn't ready, of course the testers were only given a couple of weeks to even try it out and half of the stuff was turned of. 

Cryptic's beta testing methods are horrible having tested both CO and STO, the once a week scheduled testing with so little turned on was actually not a method to focus test, but to hide the sheer lack of content from the testers until it was too late.