Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG help

KalimarKalimar Member Posts: 5

Do game companies  devs even play games?  I cant figure out why MMORPG's today SUCK so bad.  All they want to do is make a quick $$$$$$$. Im telling you if alot of us gamers could afford to make our own MMORPG, we would crush the competiton. 

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Kalimar

Do game companies  devs even play games?  I cant figure out why MMORPG's today SUCK so bad.  All they want to do is make a quick $$$$$$$. Im telling you if alot of us gamers could afford to make our own MMORPG, we would crush the competiton. 

I think reality is different than the fantasy.

It seems that a lot of players becme game developers. Then they are confronted with budget constraints, difficult deadlines and disgrunteled players.

Heck, I just heard about a guy that works at a game studio; a friend is temping for his wife while she is out, and he is working on esentially "spreadsheets" and said that it wasn't quite what he thought he would be doing.

I think some players firmly believe that if we give them 50 million or however many dollars, that they can come up with the best game. I think those players who become developers are probably closer to the truth as to what really happens.

don't get me wrong, There seems to be a lot of mismanagement but I'm not convinced that developers are all screw ups, using the investment money for pool tables and pizza and beer and then starting work at 3pm each day with the hopes that they might do something constructive.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Kalimar

Considering almost all the interesting innovative /boundry pushing games to release in the last 5 years were made by small companies of fans, I'd say you're right. Virtually every big budget game since WoW's release has been an annoying clone with little soul or inspiration beyond riding the EQ model's popularity wave.

• kastrixkastrix Member Posts: 75

emm, isn't that what SV are. Some gaming fans with an idea. They arn't a big compration at all so to speak. That's why i also think people sould give SV 'SOME' credit. Risking their funds on an idea witch no major compani would dare to pick up cause all the big coperations like activision cares about is $$$$$.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

making mmos is INCREDIBLY harder then most of us even emagine.

making an awesome mmos is just that much harder.

making an awesome AND succesfull one.....well that is a combination of incredible luck and loads of genius.

SV proves this every single day. they have no clue what they are doing.

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by kastrix

emm, isn't that what SV are. Some gaming fans with an idea. They arn't a big compration at all so to speak. That's why i also think people sould give SV 'SOME' credit. Risking their funds on an idea witch no major compani would dare to pick up cause all the big coperations like activision cares about is $$$$$.

Can give them as much credit as you want, just won't be giving them any $$$ for a product that should be in Closed Beta. Especially when Perpetuum is charging for a 3-month sub less money then 1,5 months in MO, disregarding that Perp has free client and MO skins you for 25-35€.