Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I predict..

2»

Comments

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Originally posted by vboydjr

Or they could have a game that the people who are playing enjoy.  If what they promise comes true it doesn't matter about the people who hate the combat and power system if the content comes out every month then those who continue after the first month will continue to subscibe.  So what unkind truths are you talking about?

You are incredible gullible and naive if you believe that.

Originally posted by kiern

Originally posted by Elikal

Could be. I suspect SOE will face many unkind truths after the launch of DCU.

Or they could have a game that the people who are playing enjoy.  If what they promise comes true it doesn't matter about the people who hate the combat and power system if the content comes out every month then those who continue after the first month will continue to subscibe.  So what unkind truths are you talking about?

Well, what they promised has changed.

They initially said that they wanted to get away from a class based system that relies on specific group roles. However, a couple of weeks ago they implemented a patch that changed the game so that you need to have specific roles in the groups. You are now reliant on other roles. The problem is that the game was not designed as a class based system from the beginning, so it doesn't quite fit. It's like fitting a square peg into a round hole. They are wedging it in, but it isn't a good fit. If they continue down this route, I can see them redoing the power sets to fit better with the new concept.

I don't know what you were playing.  Last night I did Area 51 with all damage not one person was anything else and we successfully completed the mission.  There still is no real class in the game but simply powers that give you options so that promise has remained since you can always switch your role to what you prefer and not locked into a role at the beginning.  You will have to explain better where this change that broke the game is coming from.

So you did the easiest beginners alert in the game and you were able to roflstomp ur way through it w/out trying and thats your justification?   Just lol...

Here's a little clue, those alerts get harder.  And the "raids" are suppose to be even harder.  You need to use your roles  otherwise a) your tank will get one shot b) your healer won't be able to heal through the damage c) everyone will run out of power in bossfights(no controllers).

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

The OP is incredibly vague. Are you asking whether we think they'll go the auto-attack route like every other MMO, or are you just asking if the powers will change drastically?

The combat is pretty fun, and only a small minority have even hinted at wanting to get rid of the action style combat.

The powers however have been going through tremendous changes from patch to patch. In 6 months I'm pretty sure the powers, and their trees will look drastically different than they do now. And I hope I'm right. Those trees need serious help, and they also need way more power sets.

The tech set lets you mimic Joker, Scarecrow, or a weak Batman. And then it throws a couple immobile turrets in. I'd love for them to split the turrets out into their own technology set of powers involving actual high tech. Not boxing gloves on springs, noxious sprays and tazers.

The fire trees look like this. 1. Shoot a ball of fire that burns the enemy and does damage. 2. Shoot a jet of fire that burns the enemy and does damage. 3. Shoot a ball of fire that burns the enemy and does damage. 4. Shoot a blast of fire that burns the enemy and does damage. 5. Shoot a couple balls of fire that burns the enemy and does damage. 6. blahblahblah

That's a simplification, but not by much. The trees just really need some major changes and I really hope they get them way sooner than 6 months.

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

Originally posted by comerb

Originally posted by kiern

Originally posted by Elikal

Could be. I suspect SOE will face many unkind truths after the launch of DCU.

Well, what they promised has changed.

They initially said that they wanted to get away from a class based system that relies on specific group roles. However, a couple of weeks ago they implemented a patch that changed the game so that you need to have specific roles in the groups. You are now reliant on other roles. The problem is that the game was not designed as a class based system from the beginning, so it doesn't quite fit. It's like fitting a square peg into a round hole. They are wedging it in, but it isn't a good fit. If they continue down this route, I can see them redoing the power sets to fit better with the new concept.

I don't know what you were playing.  Last night I did Area 51 with all damage not one person was anything else and we successfully completed the mission.  There still is no real class in the game but simply powers that give you options so that promise has remained since you can always switch your role to what you prefer and not locked into a role at the beginning.  You will have to explain better where this change that broke the game is coming from.

So you did the easiest beginners alert in the game and you were able to roflstomp ur way through it w/out trying and thats your justification?   Just lol...

Here's a little clue, those alerts get harder.  And the "raids" are suppose to be even harder.  You need to use your roles  otherwise a) your tank will get one shot b) your healer won't be able to heal through the damage c) everyone will run out of power in bossfights(no controllers).

Here is a clue for you I have done all the alerts in the beta thus far I was using that one as an example from the last patch since I made a newer character last night.  I don't understand how someone can try to make someone look foolish when they spell your with "ur"  two more letters and you got it my friend.  I understand the role thing but you're not tied into it like most games and you can change them up so if you want to do damage or tank or control or even heal you can.  The post made it sound like they had changed the game to make it like others such as CoX where you are unable to change after character creation.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

I am gullible and naive if I believe what exactly?  Look you have to be a little more specific than that with a vague comment calling me naive and gullible.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I predict that no one is going to pay a subscription after the first month, and it will go F2P within 6 months.

This game is made for the cash shops, buying costumes and powers is the only thing thay will keep this game going

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Paradoxy
    So for once a MMO offers a combat which is not similar to our traditional MMOS and people are still unhappy? This is why i think devs need to do their own thing and ignore such fickle and unpredictable playerbase.

It depends on how much of their player base wants the standard MMO design or the new design of the game. I could not get the beta to run for more than a few minutes without locking my machine up, but the little that I did play was fun. I think they've made the right choices in terms of combat. Reminded me of Global Agenda more than Champions Online (which is a good thing).

I don't see this as a successful subscription title though. I could see it as a successful buy to play with expansions, but not a pay to play monthly kind of thing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by Ocirusskd

most of the people who play it love the combat and describe it as addictive, those who don’t like the combat will never like it,

There's no simple way to put this so let's just hit it straight on:

You are a LIAR.

There.  ...that was easy.    Now how do I know you're lying?  B/c I've spent the last 2 months reading every post on both Beta boards and watching in-game chat extensively.   Now if you meant "most of the people in my close circle of acquaintences" then you should have been more specific.   The fact is that most long-term Beta testers loved the original combat despite all the targeting and UI problems, but have gradually stopped playing entirely as patch after patchs has gradually changed everything about the combat.  (making it harder, "less fun" in their own words, and slowing it down).

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by iller

most of the people who play it love the combat and describe it as addictive, those who don’t like the combat will never like it,

You are a LIAR.

There.  ...that was easy.    Now how do I know you're lying?  B/c I've spent the last 2 months reading every post on both Beta boards and watching in-game chat extensively.   Now if you meant "most of the people in my close circle of acquaintences" then you should have been more specific.   The fact is that most long-term Beta testers loved the original combat despite all the targeting and UI problems, but have gradually stopped playing entirely as patch after patchs has gradually changed everything about the combat.  (making it harder, "less fun" in their own words, and slowing it down).

The patches haven't greatly changed the the combat mechanics,  but they've changed around the sets and powers, and pretty much all modifiers.  This last change where they completely removed precision made me somewhat angry,  and now they have it adding Might instead?  Not interested in that.

Most people who've played the game for the past few months and gave it more than a week I'd say like the combat system to a great extent.  The boards are filled with players that like the system and those that don't, just like you'll find people on this site that like it and those that don't.   Those that don't like it want to change it,  and thats why we're in the situation we're in now.

The game was "close to release" when I was let in beta, meaning they were still planning on the original release date,  then the Preorder to Play beta hit full swing and everything started getting mixed and changed around,  and there are still some glaring problems I'm not happy with.

The game isn't unrecognizable from what I started playing months ago,  but they have made some "errors" in my eyes in their design changes.   I loved having 50 skill points at level 20.  I loved being able to spec for precision and make a more capable damage class.  I loved being able to switch to the bug form in damage mode so I could heal.    But unfortunately this is beta, and things are subject to change.

I haven't changed my mind that I will be buying this game,  and i do feel that those that liked the combat before won't dislike the combat now,  they may just not like the CHANGES they've made to the skills and power sets (all in the name of balance I'm sure they'd say).  But in all trueness this won't change a majorities  perspective (of players that are not in beta) because they didn't know what it was like before.  I did, unfortunately,  and it will take me a bit to adjust.

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by iller

You are a LIAR.

This sounds exactly like the CO beta.

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

wtf! is this!!!! Whatever happened to galaxies its in the past... they probably had an inmature design director... one by the name of Torres I think.... He probably felt victim of the WoW effect... galaxies simply tried to copy cat WoW to the max on those days, but now that the Pre BC style is no longer the new in...  Designers are going to use other methods...

I am gullible and naive if I believe what exactly?  Look you have to be a little more specific than that with a vague comment calling me naive and gullible.

You're right, Gullible and Naive apparently wasn't the words I was looking for...  I'll leave it at that.

Here is a clue for you I have done all the alerts in the beta thus far I was using that one as an example from the last patch since I made a newer character last night.  I don't understand how someone can try to make someone look foolish when they spell your with "ur"  two more letters and you got it my friend.  I understand the role thing but you're not tied into it like most games and you can change them up so if you want to do damage or tank or control or even heal you can.  The post made it sound like they had changed the game to make it like others such as CoX where you are unable to change after character creation.

1) So you've completed Alerts designed for the leveling characters that have little to no concept of group mechanics.  The same "group" content that is traditionally a joke compared to end-game content.  Great basis for an argument.  Maybe next you can make an argument for why tank specs are unnessessary in WoW based on your experience in RFC and Deadmines.

2) Sorry, I didn't do a grammar check before posting on the internetz forumz.  Dey are seriousz businazz.  Congrats, you're officially a forum loser for pulling out the grammar card instead of refuting the actual argument.

3) You are tied into your role.  You will be a tank/controller/healer at the end of the day.  You don't get to choose tank/healer, or controller/tank, or whatever.  You won't be DPS, unless you are ultimately intending on being carried by other players and wasting the slot of someone who will actually contritube to the group.  Which is exactly what I suspect will happen with you... and I'm eagerly anticipating a post from you in the future that somehow reflects that.

1) So you've completed Alerts designed for the leveling characters that have little to no concept of group mechanics.  The same "group" content that is traditionally a joke compared to end-game content.  Great basis for an argument.  Maybe next you can make an argument for why tank specs are unnessessary in WoW based on your experience in RFC and Deadmines.

2) Sorry, I didn't do a grammar check before posting on the internetz forumz.  Dey are seriousz businazz.  Congrats, you're officially a forum loser for pulling out the grammar card instead of refuting the actual argument.

3) You are tied into your role.  You will be a tank/controller/healer at the end of the day.  You don't get to choose tank/healer, or controller/tank, or whatever.  You won't be DPS, unless you are ultimately intending on being carried by other players and wasting the slot of someone who will actually contritube to the group.  Which is exactly what I suspect will happen with you... and I'm eagerly anticipating a post from you in the future that somehow reflects that.

I guess you just want to bash on something and someone right?  Go ahead hate on me that's what haters do right? That is about how you sound right now.  You are tied into roles based on your powers which means if you use fire/ice you are going to be tank/dps mostly everything else gives you controller/ healer.  It isn't like most games where you are either tank, fighter, mage, or cleric.  You need to get a clue.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

i don't think the company thats already known for destroying a game will destroy another. they aren't that stupid

I guess you just want to bash on something and someone right?  Go ahead hate on me that's what haters do right? That is about how you sound right now. 

Not someone or something.  Specificially you.  You're posts are fanboism at their finest, completely lacking regard to logic or the reality of the game as it is presented... and they make you an excellent target.  You defend every flawed element of the game based on blind zealotry and ridiculous leaps in logic or completely unwarranted faith.

You are tied into roles based on your powers which means if you use fire/ice you are going to be tank/dps mostly everything else gives you controller/ healer.  It isn't like most games where you are either tank, fighter, mage, or cleric.  You need to get a clue.

Ok.  First... I don't really even know why you felt the need to explain this, because it isn't relevant to anything I've said up tothis point.  But you do seem to be under the fundamental misunderstanding that your just going to join a group as xyz powerset and do whatever the hell you want to do.  That is not how it works.  If you are a Controller powerset and you join a group at the high level content, you are going to be EXPECTED to be in a Controller role. You are going to be EXPECTED to be using powers that assist in the function your particular role is suppose to provide. The whole synergy of the grouping subsystem is dependant on Healers>healing tanks>tanking controlers>CCing/Debuffing/etc (and providing energy).  W/out the tanks tanking, the healers healing, and the controlers providing energy... the whole damn thing falls apart.  You think your going to be in a DPS role as a Healing powerspec?  Sure, if you want to piss your teammates off as your tank dies w/out heals.  How bout being a DPS role as a controller?  Wait til your healer and tank tear into your ass because they are bone dry on energy.

The only time you'll be using your DPS role is for solo content, and maybe PvP.  And in PvP your still better off in your non-DPS role if your playing w/ teammates.

You are living in fairytale fantasyland if you don't think you're powerset is going to be forced into specific roles in difficult group content.  The only other alternative is to make the content so retarded easy that it doesn't damn well matter in the first place... or to make highly tuned encounters (ala Blizzard) that have very tight DPS/healing/tanking requirements.  And I'm sorry, but that isn't going to happen in this game... because this is SoE... not Blizzard.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

haters gonna hate. how many years has it been now? going all emo over something that happened how many years ago?

If you like it, play it . If you dont, then dont. Why people get their panties in a bunch is beyond me.

I guess you just want to bash on something and someone right?  Go ahead hate on me that's what haters do right? That is about how you sound right now. 

Not someone or something.  Specificially you.  You're posts are fanboism at their finest, completely lacking regard to logic or the reality of the game as it is presented... and they make you an excellent target.  You defend every flawed element of the game based on blind zealotry and ridiculous leaps in logic or completely unwarranted faith.

You are tied into roles based on your powers which means if you use fire/ice you are going to be tank/dps mostly everything else gives you controller/ healer.  It isn't like most games where you are either tank, fighter, mage, or cleric.  You need to get a clue.

Ok.  First... I don't really even know why you felt the need to explain this, because it isn't relevant to anything I've said up tothis point.  But you do seem to be under the fundamental misunderstanding that your just going to join a group as xyz powerset and do whatever the hell you want to do.  That is not how it works.  If you are a Controller powerset and you join a group at the high level content, you are going to be EXPECTED to be in a Controller role. You are going to be EXPECTED to be using powers that assist in the function your particular role is suppose to provide. The whole synergy of the grouping subsystem is dependant on Healers>healing tanks>tanking controlers>CCing/Debuffing/etc (and providing energy).  W/out the tanks tanking, the healers healing, and the controlers providing energy... the whole damn thing falls apart.  You think your going to be in a DPS role as a Healing powerspec?  Sure, if you want to piss your teammates off as your tank dies w/out heals.  How bout being a DPS role as a controller?  Wait til your healer and tank tear into your ass because they are bone dry on energy.

The only time you'll be using your DPS role is for solo content, and maybe PvP.  And in PvP your still better off in your non-DPS role if your playing w/ teammates.

You are living in fairytale fantasyland if you don't think you're powerset is going to be forced into specific roles in difficult group content.  The only other alternative is to make the content so retarded easy that it doesn't damn well matter in the first place... or to make highly tuned encounters (ala Blizzard) that have very tight DPS/healing/tanking requirements.  And I'm sorry, but that isn't going to happen in this game... because this is SoE... not Blizzard.

No one in beta has tried out the level 20-30 raids so you may be right but as of right now you can play whatever roles you want in alerts and most of the time everyone is playing how they want to play.  Look you want to keep harping on having to be locked into your roles which you are not.  You can switch now depending on what you want to do yeah you might have a better opportunity sticking to a specific role for the powers you chose. 

As far as fanboisim, that's hilarious.  Is it the fact that I believe all you want to do is hate because you try to insult me?  Look that is you who went to the insults first and that's what haters do hate.  Good luck to you though.

As far as fanboisim, that's hilarious.  Is it the fact that I believe all you want to do is hate because you try to insult me?  Look that is you who went to the insults first and that's what haters do hate.  Good luck to you though.

1. Fanboism:

Fanboi is a term used to describe gamers who prefer a single product over all others despite any flaws or problems their choice may have. 

That is you, whether its an insult or not is irrelevant.  Feel free go back and poke through your numerous posts in this forum as you vehemently make excuses for every flaw the game has.  I find it annoying, because your spreading misinformation to individuals who are coming to this forum trying to make an informed decision to drop $50-$60 on this game.  It's irresponsible and selfish.

If you'd simply acknowledge the obvious flaws in the game instead of making excuse after excuse for them, I wouldn't call you out.  There is nothing wrong with liking a game despite its flaw, but ignoring them or excusing them base on blind zealotry is ridiculous.